NV NV - Pershing Co, 'Valerie Doe' WhtFem 25-50, UP7635, in desert, May'91

Just stumbled onto this thread, and curious as to whether Valerie Ann Pryor was ever submitted? She left carrying an overnight bag (which implies she was heading somewhere), and was wearing the same clothing. I am aware that the hair colour was a discrepancy, but I was looking at a few different cases earlier today, and I noticed that the phrase brown hair colour (possibly due to decomposition) kept cropping up. The MP may have also potentially dyed it or depending on post mortem interval, her hair could've faded from blonde to brown over time (I know this experience first hand). No clue if this is helpful or not, but just thought it might be worth sharing.

Yes, she has. From what i understand, they have no identifiers on her (dentals, fingerprints, or DNA). The NamUs casefile has said "Initial Inquiry Underway" on the DNA section for quite a while.

I don't know if anyone has posted this or seen it but I thought it was worth posting. I was trying to research the Abalone Dragon bracelet and the closest I came up with was Abalone Dragon earrings that look like the Bracelet . I found it on Esty...

I also found some other abalone jewelry pieces by ANOTHER seller which peaked my interest because the seller was selling her mothers vintage collection and mentioned her mom used buy the jewelry and sell the ablalone jewelry pieces in Europe or London or something like that..and of course I thought of this Jane Doe and all her clothing being from Europe.. Maybe the sellers mother would remember selling that bracelet was my thought. Anyway If someone else finds it please post it! thank you ..I am still looking..

I had the info on my old phone which died so I am trying to find it again....ugh

But for now I wanted to post this up before I lost this and it ended up in the twilight zone too.. Again the Link Below is only the earrings I found from a different seller on Esty... the other seller is the one that he mom sold the jewelry in Europe... I am looking for that..(sorry if iam rambling and it sounds confusing)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/296674694176360628/
Unusual brass and abalone dragon? earrings Have a similar figure to a dragon but could be anthropomorphic/abstract instead Unsigned for maker or metal but are brass and abalone shell, probably artisan made Possibly Mexican in origin Very dramatic figural earrings, sure to be noticed Vintage Dragon Earrings,Vintage Abalone Earrings, Vintage Brass Earrings,Anthropomorphic,Unusual Earrings,Artisan Earrings,Abstract Earrings CONDITION: Very nice used condition, some patina on the brass, have not been polished SIZE: Measure 3" long including the wires SHIPPING: I am able to combine shipping on multiple items, combined rates are already set up NEED MORE INFO? Just send me a convo and I will get back to you as soon as I can. For more interesting vintage jewelry finds, check out the remainder of my shop OldTreazureTrunk: https://www.etsy.com/shop/OldTreazureTrunk 05f6ffb2a01f4027cdb979a79f8bd31a[1].jpg

I also found some other abalone jewelry pieces by ANOTHER seller which peaked my interest because the seller was selling her mothers vintage collection and mentioned her mom used buy the jewelry and sell the ablalone jewelry pieces in Europe or London or something like that..and of course I thought of this Jane Doe and all her clothing being from Europe.. Maybe the sellers mother would remember selling that bracelet was my thought. Anyway If someone else finds it please post it! thank you ..I am still looking..

attachment.php

The combination of dragon and abalone shell suggests to me that they were made in China or Hong Kong, or somewhere else with a significant Chinese population such as Singapore. That doesn't preclude them being exported to Europe and bought by the end user there, but I would imagine they'd be sold in Chinatowns almost anywhere.

They're the sort of symbolic jewellery I seem to remember being sold in hippy/head shops as far back as the early 70s, maybe earlier, along with ankh and ying/yang pendants and suchlike.

The combination of dragon and abalone shell suggests to me that they were made in China or Hong Kong, or somewhere else with a significant Chinese population such as Singapore. That doesn't preclude them being exported to Europe and bought by the end user there, but I would imagine they'd be sold in Chinatowns almost anywhere.

They're the sort of symbolic jewellery I seem to remember being sold in hippy/head shops as far back as the early 70s, maybe earlier, along with ankh and ying/yang pendants and suchlike.
Yeah, and they were also sold in just about every gift shop in the mountain west of the US. Probably still are. Many were Chinese made, but many were Mexican or, more commonly, turned out by local craftspeople.

I have a bracelet that has a similar design, only with coral instead of abalone, that's from central Europe before 1910.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

If the clothing was manufactured in the U.K., I'm wondering if this could be Valerie Haycock.

Do you have any pointers to information about Haycock? I found her Doenet page here: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/1239dfuk.html but not much else.

What information there is sounds like she went to Ireland, but it would be easy enough to come to the US from there.

She doesn't much resemble the sketch and she would be a bit off the upper end of the decedent's age range.

I agree she doesn't really resemble the sketch but the age range fits. She would have been 39 in 1987 , 42 in 1991.

I agree she doesn't really resemble the sketch but the age range fits. She would have been 39 in 1987 , 42 in 1991.

Okay, I added wrong; I thought she would have been older than that. She's definitely possible. I would never rule somebody out just on a bad photo, though it's enough to make me think she's unlikely.

Her Doe profile has recently been updated. BBM
387UFNV

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim, nicknamed "Valerie Doe," was located in Pershing County, Nevada on May 25, 1991 in a shallow grave by three travelers in the Black Rock Desert.

She had been shot one or more times in the head before she was buried.

Two anthropologists who examined the woman's remains came to different conclusions about her age. The first estimated she was 25 to 35 and the second concluded she was between her 40s and 50s.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original
Original
Original

5 Exclusions -
-- Cindy Sue Fawcett CA
MP2656 Valerie Larkin 02/01/1985 San Bernardino CA
-- Gayle Marie Marks CA
MP974 Patricia Schmidt 06/04/1985 Henrico VA
MP15153 Stefanie Stroh 10/15/1987 Elko NV

Unidentified Remains

Date Found: May 26, 1991
Washoe County Coroner Case #0580-91
Female, possibly white, auburn colored hair, estimated 25 to 35 years of age, between 5'1" and 5'3" tall. Skeleton, found approximately 11 miles north of Gerlach, rural Pershing County, Nevada. Shallow grave. Distinctive yellow metal ankle bracelet found inscribed with the name "Valerie". Also found was a pair of denim pants, the rear portion of a brassiere, and miscellaneous clothing scraps.
Cause of Death: Undetermined/Homicide
Agency: Pershing County Sheriff; Nevada Division of Investigation.

Wayback Machine

Michelle Marie Garcia – The Charley Project

21 year old missing from Los Angeles since late 1986. Not many details. She may use the last name Viveros or the name Valerie Monge.

I was able to find through ancestry records that she had a sister named Valerie Ann Viveros who died in LA in 1979 at the age of 18. The bracelet/anklet could have been hers. She has 2 living siblings as far as I can tell. There’s one public family tree on ancestry whose owner’s last name is Monge. I’m going to assume that’s Michelle’s daughter, seeing as how the tree lists a living spouse and child. I’m still looking...
upload_2021-1-5_10-6-16.jpegupload_2021-1-5_10-6-36.jpegupload_2021-1-5_10-8-23.jpeg

I bought this from a seller on Etsy that is located in the UK. They did not have much information about the manufacturer, and upon examining it closely there are no marks on the underside to identify a manufacturer.
Yeah, and they were also sold in just about every gift shop in the mountain west of the US. Probably still are. Many were Chinese made, but many were Mexican or, more commonly, turned out by local craftspeople.

I have a bracelet that has a similar design, only with coral instead of abalone, that's from central Europe before 1910.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I bought this from a seller on Etsy that is located in the UK. They did not have much information about the manufacturer, and upon examining it closely there are no marks on the underside to identify a manufacturer.

Attachments

• dragon bracelet.jpg
    dragon bracelet.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 19
I found this year book picture of Valerie Pryor on Ancestry.
Name: Valerie Pryor
Yearbook Date: 1985
School: David Douglas High School
School Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Grade Completed: Sophomore

The location, and timeline seem to match as she went missing February 2, 1989, and was 19 according to NAMUS. So possibly this yearbook picture was taken when she was fifteen?

Attachments

• 41A6974B-122B-4FF0-9DA6-4A7A460AEE71_4_5005_c.jpeg
    41A6974B-122B-4FF0-9DA6-4A7A460AEE71_4_5005_c.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 178
Michelle Garcia looks like a very good potential match.
Valerie Pryor is apparently still pending or something. I couldn't find anything new.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
387UFNV

Exclusions:

-- Cindy Sue Fawcett -- -- CA
MP2656 Valerie Larkin 02/01/1985 San Bernardino CA
-- Gayle Marie Marks -- -- CA
MP974 Patricia Schmidt 06/04/1985 Henrico VA
MP15153 Stefanie Stroh 10/15/1987 Elko NV

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online