Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No disrespect intended, but what are XYZ or any of the other yt'ers doing to help find SM? There are plenty of missing people where these people live, but maybe the environment is so much more pleasant around Salida? It is a mystery and we're all interested, I get this. People are looking for answers as we all are, but other than that, it could seem to be a hobby project at best and at my cynical worst, it's about youtube views = $.

Do people have that little faith in professional investigations that they think JoeJane Schmoe is going to crack it open by publishing gossip and interviews of people who just want their face in the media? Wouldn't investigators already have all the local insight, gossip and information from scouring database both public and private? I'm betting they do.

Adding some context to the Sherrif's comment hoping BM would continue to cooperate. It was actually a direct response to a reporter's question at the first press conference.

It was also the first opportunity local media had to pose the question to the Sheriff after the NYP reported he would not confirm and/or comment if BM was cooperating with LE.

I think it's fair to say media took the no comment to be the equivalent of BM not cooperating, and the Sheriff set the record straight at the presser.

MOO

Ah, sorry. I didn't include the link or conversation because I thought that was all understood. It's a problem that I assume people can read my mind. :)

Last edited:
No disrespect intended, but what are XYZ or any of the other yt'ers doing to help find SM? There are plenty of missing people where these people live, but maybe the environment is so much more pleasant around Salida? It is a mystery and we're all interested, I get this. People are looking for answers as we all are, but other than that, it could seem to be a hobby project at best and at my cynical worst, it's about youtube views = $.

Do people have that little faith in professional investigations that they think JoeJane Schmoe is going to crack it open by publishing gossip and interviews of people who just want their face in the media? Wouldn't investigators already have all the local insight, gossip and information from scouring database both public and private? I'm betting they do.
I think this is about their own interests, and ours; not about finding Suzanne.

That’s law enforcement’s job.

People are interested in high profile cases, and these Youtubers are filling a niche.

I think this is about their own interests, and ours; not about finding Suzanne.

That’s law enforcement’s job.

People are interested in high profile cases, and these Youtubers are filling a niche.

Absolutely, and I appreciate that. I just hate seeing it described as helping to find SM. I'm all for the human interest aspect; that's why I'm here. :).

One person in particular said s/he "was there to help find Suzanne".

Last edited:
Isn't the prosecutor in high profile cases the states attorney? That being said, wouldn't the states attorney know what LE holds in their hand and close to their vest?
With 2 sealed search warrants I am going to venture to guess that is opposit of total dearth.

What Kaitlin Turner -- the district attorney* -- knows about the evidence or not really depends on the relationship between her & the sheriff. It's very possible that she has a lot of information. However, since I don't know what that information may be, I wouldn't be able to say what strategy the State may employ during plea negotiations or trial.

One thing that we do know is that
Kaitlin Turner is up for re-election this year after being appointed by the governor to fill the remainder of her predecessor's term. She's running opposed. If I was Ms. Turner and I believed that there was probable cause to arrest a particular person, then I'd be pushing to get the arrest made. That plus a press conference would get earned media, which is precious in any election.

The fact that (1) Ms. Turner is up for re-election this year and (2) an arrest
hasn't been made -- or a grand jury empaneled with a particular person as a target -- makes me think that she does not believe that probable cause exists to charge a particular person.

* In Indiana, the elected county prosecutor represents the State in all criminal cases, both high- and low-profile. Colorado uses a district attorney model: Chaffee County is part of the 11th Judicial District, which also includes Custer, Fremont, and Park Counties.

I tend to think that if the CBI wasn’t called that night, it was early the next day.

I’m sure law enforcement would have searched that house, as her life could have been in jeopardy (exigency existed).

They wouldn’t have used luminol at that point, as that would have been done with trained forensic experts, almost certainly with a warrant in hand.

So if law enforcement did discover something inside the house that night, I think it was readily visible to the naked eye.

This could explain the quick call to the CBI.
I don’t believe that CBI was involved for 3 - 4 days. The press releases are not completely straightforward, but it appears that the CBI joined the search on May 13th. Up until then the county tac team, SAR, the Department of Corrections (dogs), Swiftwater teams, Air Ambulance, Parks & Wildlife, etc. carried out exhaustive searches. FBI evidence recovery teams were eventually brought in. MOO

ETA: Nevermind. Already been discussed. I’m late to the party

Last edited:

Well, that gets to the question of whether crowdsourcing provides for a better way to get to the "truth" than a "regular" investigation. In some circumstances -- securities fraud, for example -- crowdsourcing may be every bit as good or even better than investigators' skill. In other situations, traditional police work will be superior.

Exactly. My fear is that these unqualified snoops might somehow jeopardize the investigation. Put your phone back in your pocket and go away.

What Kaitlin Turner -- the district attorney* -- knows about the evidence or not really depends on the relationship between her & the sheriff. It's very possible that she has a lot of information. However, since I don't know what that information may be, I wouldn't be able to say what strategy the State may employ during plea negotiations or trial.

Kaitlin Turner is up for re-election this year after being appointed by the governor to fill the remainder of her predecessor's term. She's running opposed. If I was Ms. Turner and I believed that there was probable cause to arrest a particular person, then I'd be pushing to get the arrest made. That plus a press conference would get earned media, which is precious in any election.

hasn't been made -- or a grand jury empaneled with a particular person as a target -- makes me think that she does not believe that probable cause exists to charge a particular person.

* In Indiana, the elected county prosecutor represents the State in all criminal cases, both high- and low-profile. Colorado uses a district attorney model: Chaffee County is part of the 11th Judicial District, which also includes Custer, Fremont, and Park Counties.
Very interesting points! Thank you lamlawindy!

I just want justice for Suzanne. Does anyone think it’s too much of a coincidence that everyone: LS, TD, and PE guys are asking for BM to speak up and come forward recently? It seems like a coordinated request. Is it just me? o_O
No, it's not just you. At this point, we're all wondering why there is so much silence on BM's part. It's beginning to appear extremely suspicious. MOO

Exactly. My fear is that these unqualified snoops might somehow jeopardize the investigation. Put your phone back in your pocket and go away.
At the very least, it's incredibly intrusive in unintended ways. I saw at least one cringey interview where the person provided gossip and outed the source. I can imagine how I'd feel if I was having a private conversation with someone and passing along gossip and rumors as you do with friends and family, and then find they told a youtuber -on camera- just what I'd told them.

BBM
I agree.....

live now, profiling evil, discussing SM. (and the body found in CS).

That's the first of their videos I actually watched from start to finish.
I have to say, not too shabby.
Their experience brings a higher quality to the show the same way our verified lawyers and LE do here in our discussions.
Their channel will likely do quite well.

jmo

Ah, sorry. I didn't include the link or conversation because I thought that was all understood. It's a problem that I assume people can read my mind. :)

Reporter: Is the husband cooperating?

Sheriff: Yes, he's been cooperative at this point, we hope he continues to do so.

I recall the May 15 presser was the same day they closed Hwy 50 for searchers but can't remember how far ahead the presser was announced.

I wish the reporter would have also asked if the husband was aware of the presser when inquiring about his cooperation.

Do you think media inquiring about the husband's absence would have affected the Sheriff's answer?

I used to be kind of down on rando youtubers but I've since changed my mind.
Essentially, they're doing the same thing in video format that we do here.
They are genuinely interested in true crime and they follow it with the format of youtube.
We do it here on a discussion forum.

If their content is good, and they earn the monetization, then good for them.
Why not get compensation for what you do really well?

jmo :)

I don’t believe that CBI was involved for 3 - 4 days. The press releases are not completely straightforward, but it appears that the CBI joined the search on May 13th. Up until then the county tac team, SAR, the Department of Corrections (dogs), Swiftwater teams, Air Ambulance, Parks & Wildlife, etc. carried out exhaustive searches. FBI evidence recovery teams were eventually brought in. MOO

ETA: Nevermind. Already been discussed. I’m late to the party

I find the first 7 minutes (of the first presser on May 15) a good refresher and identifies who's involved.

That's the first of their videos I actually watched from start to finish.
I have to say, not too shabby.
Their experience brings a higher quality to the show the same way our verified lawyers and LE do here in our discussions.
Their channel will likely do quite well.

jmo
It’s funny how people have different views from the same source. I can’t watch them. It’s like pulling teeth. The pace is too slow for me and wealth of information isn’t there.
MOO IMO

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that cringed. That was supremely cringe-worthy.

IMO. The previous PE video discussed how important this next week will be and the pressure due to the wedding anniversary. The words were said purposefully to trigger if there is a possibility they are heard by the right person. Not cringe worthy. Purposeful to get reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd