VA - Hope Ann Aheimer, 26, found dead in a corn field, Henrico, JULY 2020

SCaJ

Reaction score
Police: Woman found dead in Henrico cornfield was missing person from Richmond

By NBC12 Newsroom, Brent Solomon, and Karina Bolster | July 7, 2020 at 5:10 PM EDT - Updated July 8 at 11:02 PM

HENRICO, Va. (WWBT) - Henrico Police have identified the body of a woman found in a cornfield Tuesday as a missing person out of Richmond.

Officers responded around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday to an area on New Market Road near Rockingham Street for a suspicious situation involving a vehicle in a cornfield.

“This citizen observed a plowed path through a cornfield which drew his attention,” said Henrico Police Lt. Matt Pecka. “He and another gentleman stopped and walked that path and found a vehicle.”

Upon arrival, police sources tell NBC12 they found a woman’s body not far from a vehicle partially hidden by the tall stalks of corn.

On Wednesday Henrico police identified the woman as Hope Ann Aheimer, 26, of Henrico.

Aheimer was last seen Saturday, July 4 around 11 p.m. leaving a business where she was employed in the 1700 block of Dock Street in Richmond.

The owner of Bottoms Up, a pizza restaurant in Shockoe Bottom, said Aheimer worked there for nearly a year and was always a friendly face to see when walking into the restaurant.

“She had always been unique and creative,” said an acquaintance. “I can’t remember a time she was mean to me or to anyone around me. She always did her best and always had fun with the things she loved. It hurts me and everyone who knew her that this is how her life ended. It’s so shocking.”

On Sunday around 5:30 p.m. a missing persons report was filed by family with Richmond Police after Aheimer wasn’t seen or heard from since she left work.

“Friends and family assisted by posting to social media to alert our community of the disappearance,” Pecka said. “I do commend the family and friends for really taking to social media to get that information out. I can say our peers in the City of Richmond were working diligently on this release and this case.”

On Wednesday, a spokesperson for Richmond Police said all protocols were followed in this case.

“Officers did the initial investigation Sunday evening - conducting interviews - collecting information,” a statement reads. “Detectives took over after that. An internal missing person notice was issued throughout the Department. It was decided a public appeal should be made but before it was released, she was found.”

In a statement from Aheimer’s family on Wednesday, a relative said an attentive utility worker in the area noticed the vehicle and reached out to police.

The rest of the statement reads:

"At this time, the family of Hope Ann Aheimer would like to express their appreciation for the immediate outpouring of support from the community following Hope Ann’s mother’s posting on social media requesting information on Hope Ann’s or her car’s whereabouts. Within only a few minutes of Hope Ann’s mother’s posting, there were over 3000 shares of her original posting about Hope Ann. As of today, there were over 6,900 shares.

“The family is very appreciative of the attentive utility worker who saw the car in the cornfield when working on the power lines and promptly called the police to investigate. The family understands that the investigation is still ongoing and would appreciate if anyone with information on Hope Ann’s case please contact the Henrico County Police Department directly to provide that information. The family requests that the public refrain from sharing information about the case on social media.

“The family would like to thank extended family members, friends and the public for the postings of prayers and condolences. At this time, please respect the immediate family’s privacy. Finally, the family expresses sincere thanks to the Richmond and Henrico County Police Officers and Detectives who have been working diligently on Hope Ann’s case and continue to work on her case.”

At this time Henrico police have classified this as a death investigation. Aheimer’s cause and manner of death will be determined by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. Her body was scheduled for an autopsy Wednesday afternoon.

“While details were limited yesterday, Henrico police detectives must work closely with the Richmond Police Department to verify any victim’s identity,” Henrico police said. “In this incident, Ms. Aheimer was reported missing in Richmond and located in Henrico County. Communication among agencies, as well as the family of any victim, is essential in any investigation.”

Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to call Henrico Police, specifically Detective Ensor, at (804) 501-5000 or Crime Stoppers at (804) 780-1000.

Community reacts to the discovery of a body in a cornfield

“Strange; it’s kind of unusual out here in the country,” said Bruce Pegram. “Not much happens out here.”

Pegram lives near New Market Road and stumbled upon the death investigation.

“I was like ‘aww man, what is going on?’” he said.

Police found a woman’s body along with a car around 2:30 Tuesday afternoon. Only NBC12 was there when a wrecker arrived to haul away the blue-green Mitsubishi. Pegram wonders how the car got through the tall, strong corn husks.

“It’s hard to walk in it. Usually, they’re planted like 6 inches apart…You’re not going to get a car through there, not unless you’re going a bit of speed maybe,” he speculated.

Police have not yet revealed how they believe it happened but they call the whole situation suspicious.

“The corn was knocked over so there is a pathway there that detectives are consistently using to be able to access in and out to the roadways,” said Lt. Matt Pecka.

Although this happened in Henrico, a Richmond police detective showed up, likely due to a missing person’s case out of the city.

“We have partnered with our neighboring agency, Richmond, who has had a representative on scene, but we’re still trying to piece everything together to determine exactly what occurred,” Pecka added.

As they work the case, neighbors are left stunned by a tragedy unfolding so close to home.

“Terrible, that’s terrible,” Pegram said.

Police: Woman found dead in Henrico cornfield was missing person from Richmond

Welcome @SCaJ
I am not finding any further info regarding COD or MOD.

At least by now you would think maybe the investigation would show either a car accident, maybe run off road or foul play.

I did find her obit which would explain a great deal of her life and passionate love of life.

Hope Ann Aheimer Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information

Thumbnail.png

Hope Ann Aheimer
February 22, 1994 - July 4, 2020

Obituary
Hope Ann Aheimer, 26, of Richmond, VA, joined her loved ones, including her father, Gary Aheimer, in Heaven on July 4, 2020.

Hope Ann was born in Richmond, VA to Gary and Martha Aheimer on February 22, 1994. She was raised in Richmond, VA and graduated from Varina High School in 2012. While in high school, Hope played multiple varsity sports including field hockey and soccer. She also participated on a recreational soft ball team for many years. Following high school, she attended Thomas Nelson Community College in Hampton, VA. Hope Ann was employed as a Hostess as Bottoms Up Pizza in Richmond, VA. She was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church in Henrico, VA. Hope Ann was very close to her brother, Justin, and they liked to explore around the Richmond area and hang out in Carytown. Hope Ann enjoyed listening to a variety of music, including rock, rap, classic rock and attended many concerts with her father who also shared a love for music prior to his passing. Hope Ann was very vocal with supporting important causes and often participated in fundraising events, protests and rallies to support those causes. Hope Ann was artistically talented and she had a unique dressing style which included animal hats, cosplay, Pokémon attire and mismatched socks. Hope Ann was happily engaged to Mr. Schermerhorn with whom she lived with for the past four years along with his daughter who Hope adored, who Hope assisted in caring for.

Everything online about her said she was a really good person, even the old stuff that never got taken down. I think something bad happened since her body was found away from her car and given how far into the corn field it was driven. I didn't post the videos with the article above because they were overrunning the text but if you go to the link it shows you some good images of the cornfield and the trail she ran through it.

I did find some speculation about what happened to her based off of the facebook posts she made regarding a police officer at a BLM protest 3 weeks prior to her death. I won't post the link because it is speculation but, here is the post on her Facebook they are referring to.

Hope Ann Aheimer

She used his real name and posted video of his actions and seems to have made it public shortly before she died. There are comments on her post after she died saying that the officer did a good thing. Someone posted "karma" on her boyfriends page indicating her death was deserved. Pics of that are in the comments on that post. Since her death, that post has had some nastiness on it.

It looks like this happened on her way home from work. I'm guessing she had a medical problem or was injured when she drove off the road. If she was on her way home from work, I am surprised someone out looking for her would not trace her route and noticed the disturbed cornfield. I do wonder why this is in crimes in the news when there is no evidence of a grime.

From the above link:
The family believes she was on her way to her Varina home after working the night shift at Bottom’s Up Pizza in Shockoe Bottom on Independence Day

Amateur speculation only: Finished up her night shift and dozed off? Went through corn field and impact leaving the road was enough to cause head injury. If she wasn’t a seat belt wearer she may have hit her head on steering wheel or windshield. Then got out staggering and passed away a short distance from the car.
Just a scenario that seems plausible to me. IMOO.

Linked again just in case
‘I need to know what happened to Hope Ann': Mother pleads for answers after body found in Henrico cornfield

From the above link:

Amateur speculation only: Finished up her night shift and dozed off? Went through corn field and impact leaving the road was enough to cause head injury. If she wasn’t a seat belt wearer she may have hit her head on steering wheel or windshield. Then got out staggering and passed away a short distance from the car.
Just a scenario that seems plausible to me. IMOO.

Linked again just in case
‘I need to know what happened to Hope Ann': Mother pleads for answers after body found in Henrico cornfield

Edited for after thought, she could have swerved to avoid hitting a deer or other animal and lost control.

odd, edit didn’t edit but posted new.

Another possibility someone traveling same road other direction maybe intoxicated.
It was the night of July 4th.
Both cars made no contact to each other. Maybe Hope swerved losing control.
The person driving avoiding accident, not wanting DUI kept going to avoid charge.
JMO

Waiting for next update. I think her mother will find the answers. This is so sad and tragic no matter the outcome.
I would assume the accident investigator and or Auto Ins. Will have full scale reenactment of crash.

Has anyone found MSM or LE statement on what damage's were present on Hope's car when she was finally located?

It was a night for fireworks

From the video of the scene it looks like she blew a stop sign. Depending or her speed, she could have gone quite a ways into the field. I would think if she walked away from the accident there would be evidence of that. Maybe she was thrown from her car.

Passenger side window was rolled down. Maybe broken but i didn't see any evidence of broken glass. May have stopped and rolled down window at one point to talk to someone. From the pictures of where the car went to, it drove a long distance. Clearly meant to do it. She had to cross traffic to go in at that angle. Came to stop close to the end of the corn field. Ground may have been getting rougher at that point.

If she was going home from her work. She took a detour somewhere. She had to have turned off New Market road to get onto Rockingham street and to drive back towards new market road to drive across it.

Last edited:
This is her drive towards her home (guessing as i dont know her address but to get to the area this is the way)
Rockingham street is the street she was on when she had to cross over New Market road into the cornfield. As you can see there was no reason to be on Rockingham street. Loudon would have been a better route to cross if she was driving on Osborne Turnpike and wanted to get onto New Market.
upload_2020-8-6_14-10-5.png

I've got it all wrong. she never got onto Rockingham. She was coming down New Market and swerved across traffic into the cornfield narrowly missing a light post.

Last edited:
I went back and grabbed a screenshot of where she entered the cornfield from the video. You can see she had a bit of a rough drop down to the other lanes, then into the field then a hard left inside the field. She hit the field hard so it's possible she was ran off the road and couldn't correct or didn't try to correct until she got into the field (maybe fell asleep???) or something else happened and she didn't try to correct at all and something else caused the left turn in the corn field (that being whatever caused her not to be in the car after the left).

I also grabbed a screenshot of the car so you can see the windshield wasn't broken which rules out her being thrown through the windshield and I doubt she would be flung out of the passenger side though maybe she couldn't get out of the drivers side and had climbed out of that side in a panic afterward. We may never know.

Attachments

• car full shot.png
    car full shot.png
    766.9 KB · Views: 177
  • car up close.png
    car up close.png
    590.4 KB · Views: 197
  • cornfield.png
    cornfield.png
    650.1 KB · Views: 154
I’m just catching up to this, there should be an autopsy report soon and we should have answers. LE seems to have suspicions about this young ladies death.

I just read thru what little we have so far and I wonder how close was she to her home when she died? Was this area that she often went thru or did she know anybody nearby? I can’t believe they haven’t said anything on cause yet.

It's been about 5 weeks since her death. I don't see how toxicology results could make this a homicide. Therefore, if there is no need to wait for tox results, a cause of death would have been determined by now & ruled a homicide, jmo

<modsnip - quoted post removed >

Also, since you have some familiarity with this.. What is the speed limit for that area of New Market Road and Rockingham Streeet? And was this route on her way home?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back