Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez#4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. Are you suggesting he may not have had a sister or that he may not have stayed with her before the FT? I was under the impression that he told multiple people who met him that he had a sister. Also, can it be verified that the hiker you mention is the only person to say he stayed with his sister?
I think I've seen accounts from other hikers who say he had a sister. I haven't seen anyone else say he stayed with her. This hiker also claims he told her he had health issues and was hiking while he still could. I haven't seen any other accounts of this. In fact, someone asked Obsidian about it and she said that didn't sound like him at all. It's hard to tell if this hiker tailored her story to the early rumors or if she was responsible for them.

I think I've seen accounts from other hikers who say he had a sister. I haven't seen anyone else say he stayed with her. This hiker also claims he told her he had health issues and was hiking while he still could. I haven't seen any other accounts of this. In fact, someone asked Obsidian about it and she said that didn't sound like him at all. It's hard to tell if this hiker tailored her story to the early rumors or if she was responsible for them.
This is how I remember it as well.

One thing to note, all of these hikers were recalling a brief encounter from months before. It is easy to see they may get a detail or two wrong. It only takes a word to get someone going down a rabbit hole.

I asked a programmer friend to look at it. He said it was a game about hiking.
Possibly they didn't spend enough time. Tell them to look at the classes. It can't be anything but Screeps and Screeps people have said so.

Well, see, I don't recall any hiker he ran into saying specifically he had health issues but rather, that he said he wanted to do these hikes before he couldn't. Lots of people do stuff as they get older before they might not be able to do it. That doesn't mean they necessarily have health issues. So, I'd appreciate if anyone can point out multiple hikers who met him and discuss that he said he had health issues and multiple hikers who say he stayed with his sister instead of just the one.

If he was wanted, had done crime and ran away or was being chased by bad guys, why would he let all those people take pics of him? He also doesn't exhibit paranoia about having the pics taken or about what he's doing in the pics such as hanging with the people, eating and drinking. It seems he's quite relaxed in most pics to have had them taken. This is a part of why I keep coming back to him concealing his identity more to protect himself such as his wealth.

If he was wanted, had done crime and ran away or was being chased by bad guys, why would he let all those people take pics of him? He also doesn't exhibit paranoia about having the pics taken or about what he's doing in the pics such as hanging with the people, eating and drinking. It seems he's quite relaxed in most pics to have had them taken. This is a part of why I keep coming back to him concealing his identity more to protect himself such as his wealth.

I agree. I think he was a smart and innocent guy. IMO he was just a private person, like people who have no social media and always use fake names online, but he chose to do the same in life.

I have thought about this. Ask yourself, if you went on the run and concealed your identity, what are the chances that the people looking for you would ever consider that you were hiking the AT?(especially if didn't live anywhere remotely close it).

Lets say one of your loved ones vanished, and you had a tip they were hiking the AT. Where would you even begin to start looking for them? Its not like you can do a detailed search through every single hiker, and trail names makes it even more difficult, added with the massive amount of people that drown your loved on out wanting to share their stories through social media.

Wouldnt it be super suspicious to immediately ask "Wait, are you posting this picture online? Umm...please dont". Instead, let them take that single picture within the billions of picture taken and posted online within that year alone.

Also, seems like the pictures taken of him have still not identified him...two years and millions of shares later. Looks like it worked for him...

If he was hiding or running, this is the best way for me to think of why pictures of him exist.

I agree. I think he was a smart and innocent guy. IMO he was just a private person, like people who have no social media and always use fake names online, but he chose to do the same in life.

This is also a possibility. I work in IT and one of my coworkers is very highly suspicious about any single piece of personal information. He is very strange and secretive about many parts of his identity online and sharing information on the internet. Yet, he makes tons and TONS of Reddit posts anonymously and plays video games online for long periods of time.

If this coworker vanished, I think his identity would be difficult to figure out similarly to the way MHs has been.

I have thought about this. Ask yourself, if you went on the run and concealed your identity, what are the chances that the people looking for you would ever consider that you were hiking the AT?(especially if didn't live anywhere remotely close it).

Lets say one of your loved ones vanished, and you had a tip they were hiking the AT. Where would you even begin to start looking for them? Its not like you can do a detailed search through every single hiker, and trail names makes it even more difficult, added with the massive amount of people that drown your loved on out wanting to share their stories through social media.

Wouldnt it be super suspicious to immediately ask "Wait, are you posting this picture online? Umm...please dont". Instead, let them take that single picture within the billions of picture taken and posted online within that year alone.

Also, seems like the pictures taken of him have still not identified him...two years and millions of shares later. Looks like it worked for him...

If he was hiding or running, this is the best way for me to think of why pictures of him exist.

This is also a possibility. I work in IT and one of my coworkers is very highly suspicious about any single piece of personal information. He is very strange and secretive about many parts of his identity online and sharing information on the internet. Yet, he makes tons and TONS of Reddit posts anonymously and plays video games online for long periods of time.

If this coworker vanished, I think his identity would be difficult to figure out similarly to the way MHs has been.
The pics haven't identified him to us or the authorities. You have no way of knowing if others have identified him and kept quiet for whatever reasons. As far as pics, there are ways to shuffle away some when someone brings out the camera and such. Give little hints you'd prefer not. In a restaurant one, he could have kept turned toward the table instead of twisting around and almost hamming it up for the camera. He seemed to enjoy getting half of them taken.

The pics haven't identified him to us or the authorities. You have no way of knowing if others have identified him and kept quiet for whatever reasons. As far as pics, there are ways to shuffle away some when someone brings out the camera and such. Give little hints you'd prefer not. In a restaurant one, he could have kept turned toward the table instead of twisting around and almost hamming it up for the camera. He seemed to enjoy getting half of them taken.
m

these are good points too. I also considered that someone recognized him but did not come forward for different reasons.

hopefully we get all our questions answered on day.

It is unusual around the elbow. If I allow my imagination, I could see an E and a possible V before it with possibly a fancy U underneath as in, Love U. Contrary to what I would think, I have confirmed people actually do get elbow tattoos!

To me it looks a bit more like very protruding veins on his inner upper arm, maybe he had some artery issues, but probably unlikely.

Possibly already suggested?
Too tall to be MH, but this mp's eyes remind me of him, fwiw.
https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Fowler_Kris-1.pdf
Kris Fowler (Sherpa)

Yakima Herald

Around the eyes, he looks like MH but he's tall and skinny which doesn't jibe with MH's height so I doubt it's him. Plus he seemed fairly grounded and wouldn't have up and left his family like that. Unfortunately, Fowler is just another hiker who has gone missing in the mountains. IMO

I think it's really important for us not to have assumptions incorrectly so I'll list a some here that need clearing up:

1) Multiple hikers have discussed MH saying he had a sister. Since it isn't just 1 or 2, then he's most likely to have said that. From saying it, we can either believe him or think he's telling lies. If he's telling such a fundamental lie then we can't really believe a single thing he says which leaves us at almost nothing! We can't say he's lying about a sister but truthful about living in New York or truthful about being in IT. To dismiss him having a sister after saying he has one to multiple people means you must not consider anything he said as truth and only go by what can be proven that he did and credible people have witnessed.

2) If he had a sister then at least one hiker has discussed him saying he stayed (not visited) with her before the FT hike. There is a question about whether that hiker's account is credible though so I would suggest we need to find out whether other hikers said he stayed with her or not.

3) There seems to be some different interpretation about his health. Definitely some hikers have said he wanted to do these hikes while he could. Some people, possibly even some hikers, have assumed that meant he was dying. I would suggest we need to find out what all of these hikers actually discussed that he said about that. Did he just say do these hikes while he could, possibly just meaning he's getting older and you never know or, did he actually say anything about dying or having very bad health issues? Maybe he just meant his knees were going to get too bad to be able to do it.

4) The police have said they believe he had been living in the Lake George area just before the hikes. Why are they saying this? Why won't they tell people why they believe this? If people knew, they would be able to judge whether it is a possibility, probable or for sure.

5) There should not be the assumption that, just because the police and us have not identified him that he hasn't been identified by anyone such as his sister. There can be reasons why people have identified him but haven't come forward to say so.

6) Two hikers together stayed where MH was on July 3, 20 days before he was found. Only, it's a huge area that was an air strip. They created a video that included some footage of that camp, although not MH or his tent. We know they stayed overnight but they could have been hundreds of feet away most of the time, they could have been in their tent most of the time and they could have been sleeping most of the time. Until they say they were 50 ft away from MH's tent for 5 hours, it can't be assumed that he had a 5 hour opportunity to reach out to them. He could have been asleep when they were near and, when they were further away, they were too far for him to hear them.

Note that I'm not trying to assume anything here. If someone can say otherwise to what's above then great, we can clear that up! I'm just suggesting we get these confusions sorted out because I think we can. I will try to contribute by further researching some of these points.

Now I'm going to try to find these official podcasts spoken about. There is so much info on this case in internetland, someone can always help point me to these and any other fundamental and good information that should be seen. We should actually make some kind of sticky post with a list of it. Maybe there is but I don't know about it!

I think it's really important for us not to have assumptions incorrectly so I'll list a some here that need clearing up:

1) Multiple hikers have discussed MH saying he had a sister. Since it isn't just 1 or 2, then he's most likely to have said that. From saying it, we can either believe him or think he's telling lies. If he's telling such a fundamental lie then we can't really believe a single thing he says which leaves us at almost nothing! We can't say he's lying about a sister but truthful about living in New York or truthful about being in IT. To dismiss him having a sister after saying he has one to multiple people means you must not consider anything he said as truth and only go by what can be proven that he did and credible people have witnessed.

2) If he had a sister then at least one hiker has discussed him saying he stayed (not visited) with her before the FT hike. There is a question about whether that hiker's account is credible though so I would suggest we need to find out whether other hikers said he stayed with her or not.

3) There seems to be some different interpretation about his health. Definitely some hikers have said he wanted to do these hikes while he could. Some people, possibly even some hikers, have assumed that meant he was dying. I would suggest we need to find out what all of these hikers actually discussed that he said about that. Did he just say do these hikes while he could, possibly just meaning he's getting older and you never know or, did he actually say anything about dying or having very bad health issues? Maybe he just meant his knees were going to get too bad to be able to do it.

4) The police have said they believe he had been living in the Lake George area just before the hikes. Why are they saying this? Why won't they tell people why they believe this? If people knew, they would be able to judge whether it is a possibility, probable or for sure.

5) There should not be the assumption that, just because the police and us have not identified him that he hasn't been identified by anyone such as his sister. There can be reasons why people have identified him but haven't come forward to say so.

6) Two hikers together stayed where MH was on July 3, 20 days before he was found. Only, it's a huge area that was an air strip. They created a video that included some footage of that camp, although not MH or his tent. We know they stayed overnight but they could have been hundreds of feet away most of the time, they could have been in their tent most of the time and they could have been sleeping most of the time. Until they say they were 50 ft away from MH's tent for 5 hours, it can't be assumed that he had a 5 hour opportunity to reach out to them. He could have been asleep when they were near and, when they were further away, they were too far for him to hear them.

Note that I'm not trying to assume anything here. If someone can say otherwise to what's above then great, we can clear that up! I'm just suggesting we get these confusions sorted out because I think we can. I will try to contribute by further researching some of these points.

Now I'm going to try to find these official podcasts spoken about. There is so much info on this case in internetland, someone can always help point me to these and any other fundamental and good information that should be seen. We should actually make some kind of sticky post with a list of it. Maybe there is but I don't know about it!
Podcast is here: Sworn Statement | Collier County, FL Sheriff
There is a lot of important info in the first few posts on the thread, carried over from previous threads. There is a timeline as well as a photo timeline.

For point 3, Feb 24, 2018 in Pine Log State Forest Florida, "He also told her [a camper] that he had some health issues and needed/wanted to do the trip while he still could.". This does not mean he was dying. Also, I think someone, Gator?, wondered if that account was accurate but can't remember why, other than the timeline didn't seem correct for some reason.

Podcast is here: Sworn Statement | Collier County, FL Sheriff
There is a lot of important info in the first few posts on the thread, carried over from previous threads. There is a timeline as well as a photo timeline.
Thanks! I have the photo timeline with his trail, places people met him and pics. I have gone over that thoroughly multiple times ;) It's great but some of the dates are different from other timelines I've seen and some just have a month and year whereas some other timelines give a date. So, it would be nice if that photo timeline could be updated if need be.

Last edited:
How far, by the trail MH took, would it be from March 17, 2018 Paisley, FL to Apr 13, 2018 Big Cypress Ochopee, Florida? Has anybody figured out his average distance per day between those two points to see if, near the end, he was traveling at his usual speed?

For point 3, Feb 24, 2018 in Pine Log State Forest Florida, "He also told her [a camper] that he had some health issues and needed/wanted to do the trip while he still could.". This does not mean he was dying. Also, I think someone, Gator?, wondered if that account was accurate but can't remember why, other than the timeline didn't seem correct for some reason.
FL - FL - Big Cypress National Preserve, Male hiker, "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless", 23 July 2018 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member