Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a vaccine is finally available - or possibly vaccines - one concern I have is distribution and how it is done. In the 2009 H1N1 influenza epidemic, mild by today’s standards, the strain involved had not been identified far enough in advance to include it the then-available influenza vaccine. The vaccine was rushed into production, but distribution was an issue in many US states, including the New England state where I lived at that time. The CDC distributed batches to each state, but once it reached a state, people who wanted the vaccine were at the mercy of the state.

The state I lived in kept control of all of the doses. My asthma doctor could not get any for his patients. The state chose to ignore CDC guidelines as far as pre-existing conditions were concerned. Instead of allowing the vulnerable to be vaccinated, they hoarded the doses. Members of the state legislature and their families got the vaccination, as well as some first responders and politically connected individuals. The distribution could be followed through the CDC website, and people knew that the state received the doses, but not where they went. Several months later, when the epidemic had passed, the state suddenly announced that anyone who wanted a vaccine could get one. By that time, there were no takers, and thousands of hoarded, never-distributed, expiring doses were disposed of.

In order to obtain a vaccine, I drove several hundred miles to another state that had orderly distribution of the vaccine. I took a short vacation from my job to do it, and stayed in a hotel near the clinic. It was a lot of time and money to obtain something that was mandated to be free and available to people in all states. To avoid what happened in 2009, multiple distribution channels will be needed.
I waited in a very long line at our health department. My son was on campus then, they had special clinics at University running every day. Vaccine was free for both of us.

Yes. I am not sure when I became aware of that story ... likely quite a while after the incident I was involved in when I was about 21 years old. I didn't become interested in true crime until I moved back to Australia about 20 years ago.

I think Aussies jump in to help people because we don't have the fear of a gun culture in our country ... in the way Justine Damond found out about the adverse side of that not so long ago.

Here in the US you never know who is packing a gun!!!! lots of people are---

'You can be killing people without knowing' | Local officials beg Houstonians to get tested for COVID-19 as testing numbers decline

“Houston Health Authority Dr. David Persse said Friday that fewer people were going to get tested at the city's testing sites at Delmar and Butler Stadiums.

He said bad weather was one factor, citing sites being completely closed or temporarily closed six times in July due to inclement weather. The other factor was the July 4 holiday weekend.

The city reported a 23 percent positivity rate on Friday, which means out of every five people tested for coronavirus, at least one person tests positive.

Houston reported more deaths and more new cases in July than in all other months of the pandemic combined. “

Desperate for a pool? You can now rent a private one by the hour
There was concern at the beginning of the pandemic that pools were unsafe, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on its website states: “There is no evidence that COVID-19 can be spread to humans through the use of recreational waters.” The CDC does, however, say that proper social distancing should be implemented even while in the pool, as well as other safety measures to prevent contagion.

Weinberger, who rents out his own pool on the platform, said once the safety issue was addressed, demand just exploded. The site lists pools in 39 states as well as in Canada and Australia. It initially began with just over a million dollars in seed capital.

Might be just me, but I just don’t think I’d feel comfortable using a stranger’s home pool, but more pertinent to this thread—I wouldn’t feel safe, no matter what the CDC says about it. JMO

Coronavirus 90-minute tests to be provided in care homes and hospitals

Two new tests for Covid-19 that are said to deliver results within 90 minutes are to be introduced across NHS hospitals and care homes, to speed up diagnosis ahead of winter and differentiate coronavirus infection from flu, the government says.

But some experts were surprised by the government’s decision, saying the particular tests were not well-known. No data had been published concerning their evaluation. The government had made mistakes in buying tests that turned out to be sub-standard in the past, they said.

Last edited:
Desperate for a pool? You can now rent a private one by the hour

Might be just me, but I just don’t think I’d feel comfortable using a stranger’s home pool, but more pertinent to this thread—I wouldn’t feel safe, no matter what the CDC says about it. JMO

I well remember the fear of polio every summer in the early 1950’s. No one knew how it spread, but swimming pools got the side-eye, as did other activities. We are at the early stages of COVID-19, and much is still unknown. Chlorinated pools are now ubiquitous, but we don’t know enough yet to declare them perfectly safe. Color me paranoid, I don’t care. :eek:

The Epidemic That Preyed on Children

Supermarket giants Coles, Woolworths and Aldi will shut their Melbourne stores at 7.45pm for at least the next six weeks ahead of the strict 8pm curfew.

The three retailers have moved to restrict trading after Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews revealed the 8pm to 5am curfew for metropolitan Melbourne as part of tough stage 4 restrictions to try to stem rising coronavirus infections.

The companies said the latest a customer would be able to enter stores was 7.30pm every night and stores would close at 7.45pm unless existing trading hours already specified an earlier closing time.

Coles said the measures applied to supermarkets, Liquorland, Vintage Cellars, First Choice and First Choice Liquor Market stores.

Coles to shut Melbourne stores early

I waited in a very long line at our health department. My son was on campus then, they had special clinics at University running every day. Vaccine was free for both of us.

You were fortunate, and must have been living in an area where state health officials distributed the vaccine in a competent manner. When I drove to another state to get vaccinated, the vaccine itself was free. What wasn’t free was the hotel, meals, gas, and vacation time needed to go to a clinic out of state... Since the vaccine was paid for with Federal funds and distributed by the CDC, states were forbidden to charge for it or even limit it to residents of the state.

Underwear and clothing giant Bonds is rushing an extra four million face masks into Australia to meet extraordinary demand as tough new restrictions come into place in Victoria and the rest of Australia remains on high alert over coronavirus.

The 105-year-old brand, now owned by US giant Hanes after a $1.1 billion takeover of Pacific Brands in 2016, has shipments totalling four million masks ready to come into Australia in August and September by airfreight and by ship.

The chief executive of Hanes in Australia, David Bortolussi said the group had been moving fast to try to keep up with demand.

Bonds owner rushing 4 million masks to Australia

I well remember the fear of polio every summer in the early 1950’s. No one knew how it spread, but swimming pools got the side-eye, as did other activities. We are at the early stages of COVID-19, and much is still unknown. Chlorinated pools are now ubiquitous, but we don’t know enough yet to declare them perfectly safe. Color me paranoid, I don’t care. :eek:

The Epidemic That Preyed on Children
My sister was born in 1946 and where we lived had a polio breakout in 1947 and lasted until the early fifties. When my sister was twelve and broke a bone in her foot, the xrays taken showed that the had changes in her feet that were damage from polio. Her doctor thought she had very little damage because of her age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member