Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US economy could benefit if the nation were to "lock down really hard" for four to six weeks, a top Federal Reserve official has said, as a senior White House official warned America was entering a new phase in which the coronavirus was "extraordinarily widespread" in rural areas as well as cities.

The US economy, which in the second quarter suffered its biggest blow since the Great Depression, would be able to mount a robust recovery, but only if the virus were brought under control, Neel Kashkari, president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, told CBS' Face the Nation.

"If we don't do that and we just have this raging virus spreading throughout the country with flare-ups and local lockdowns for the next year or two, which is entirely possible, we're going to see many, many more business bankruptcies," Kashkari said.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...utbreak-enters-new-phase-20200803-p55hws.html
With no national coordination it's impossible for the US to lockdown for 4 - 6 weeks.

One of President Trump's top medical advisers has warned that the US is entering a new phase in its fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

Deborah Birx told CNN the disease was "extraordinarily widespread" across the country and a greater threat than when the outbreak first began.

She said it was now affecting rural areas as well as big cities.

The US has recorded more cases and deaths than any other country.

According to a tally by Johns Hopkins University, more than 4.6 million infections and at least 154,834 deaths have been confirmed in America.

"As I travelled around the country, I saw all of America moving," Dr Birx said. "If you have chosen to go on vacation into a hot spot, you really need to come back and protect those with co-morbidities and assume you're infected."

US entering 'different' phase of Covid-19 outbreak

Yes. We really need to return from a vacation/trip and protect others. Nice talk but not reality, especially with many still denying, defying, partying like there's no tomorrow, which may be true for some people. Until reality hits home, perhaps the heartland and rural areas, IMO Americans are still not thinking this virus will affect them. There are still many stories about defiance making mainstream news daily.

Yes. We really need to return from a vacation/trip and protect others. Nice talk but not reality, especially with many still denying, defying, partying like there's no tomorrow, which may be true for some people. Until reality hits home, perhaps the heartland and rural areas, IMO Americans are still not thinking this virus will affect them. There are still many stories about defiance making mainstream news daily.

Will reality ever hit home, I wonder.

And so money still talks. Sturgis rally. Aug 7-16. 250k expected. Never mind what the citizens think.

In a survey of residents conducted by the city, more than 60% said the rally should be postponed. But businesses pressured the City Council to proceed.

Rallygoers have spent about $800 million in past years, according to the state Department of Tourism.
Annual Sturgis rally expecting 250K, stirring virus concerns

Day before metro Atlanta school set to open, principal reports COVID-19 cases on football team

“Concerned students, teachers and parents have reached out to Channel 2 Action News after a metro Atlanta high school reported cases of coronavirus days before the start of the school year.

North Paulding High School Principal Gabe Carmona sent a letter to families Sunday, saying members of the high school football team were coming down with the virus.”

Obviously, members of the football team have been in contact not only with each other but with friends and family members. Stop this return to normal nonsense, i.e. sports, for example. Face reality. We, as a country, are not normal.

260 employees in Georgia school district have tested positive for Covid-19 or been exposed — CNN

“Georgia's largest school district has confirmed that around 260 employees have either tested positive for Covid-19 or have been exposed.”

“The district -- which is in the metro Atlanta area and is the largest in the school system in the state -- is set to reopen with online learning on August 12.

Despite the high case count and the confirmed community spread, some parents held a protest last week demanding that children be allowed to return to in-person learning. “

COVID cases, exposure have 260 Gwinnett school employees not working

“Gwinnett County Public School teachers began in-person pre-planning Wednesday at the 141 facilities throughout the county. By the next day, approximately 260 employees had been excluded from work due to a positive case or contact with a case.”

Will reality ever hit home, I wonder.
JMO
Unless there are people dying in the street in front of them and hearing ambulance sirens continuously - I doubt people will change their behavior.

Just from what I see locally in person and postings on neighborhood apps - I’m not hopeful.

Last edited:
This is maddening, if true. How does it help the global effort?

Data leak reveals Iran cover-up of Covid-19 deaths

I don't know what to say to this really. UK didn't add the care home deaths on for quite a while so maybe these Iranian deaths from January were not properly diagnosed at the time. We suspected it with the UK because of the excess death from our statistics. I don't suppose Iran has public info on deaths for comparison to previous years.

Different subject- Manchester lockdown.

Paul Scholes visited by police over party claims

Former Manchester United and England footballer Paul Scholes has been spoken to by police over claims he flouted lockdown rules by staging a house party.

The Sun newspaper reported a party was held at his Oldham home for his son's birthday on Friday evening, the day new rules kicked in in Greater Manchester.

The restrictions ban social gatherings in people's homes and gardens.

Scholes, 45, has not commented on the report.

More at link.

And so money still talks. Sturgis rally. Aug 7-16. 250k expected. Never mind what the citizens think.

In a survey of residents conducted by the city, more than 60% said the rally should be postponed. But businesses pressured the City Council to proceed.

Rallygoers have spent about $800 million in past years, according to the state Department of Tourism.
Annual Sturgis rally expecting 250K, stirring virus concerns

I was just going to post this: saw this on MSNBC- what is wrong with people- OMG- at this point in time there is no plan to postpone it--- unbelievable.
I feel sorry for the residents because they do not want this to proceed: I can't even imagine the level of virus this will cause- to innocent people who just want to be safe.

The US economy could benefit if the nation were to "lock down really hard" for four to six weeks, a top Federal Reserve official has said, as a senior White House official warned America was entering a new phase in which the coronavirus was "extraordinarily widespread" in rural areas as well as cities.

The US economy, which in the second quarter suffered its biggest blow since the Great Depression, would be able to mount a robust recovery, but only if the virus were brought under control, Neel Kashkari, president of the Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank, told CBS' Face the Nation.

"If we don't do that and we just have this raging virus spreading throughout the country with flare-ups and local lockdowns for the next year or two, which is entirely possible, we're going to see many, many more business bankruptcies," Kashkari said.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-...utbreak-enters-new-phase-20200803-p55hws.html

Dr. Birx visited Virginia last week. She met with our state legislators, governor, and a few friends of the governor. This was ALL behind closed doors, no media were allowed.

Dr. Birx later spoke to the press in a very short PC, that most Richmond stations did not even play. The governor nor any Virginia state official showed up for the PC, just Dr. Birx all by herself. Our local media had a very hard time obtaining just a few clips of the PC.

She recommended CLOSING bars, and rolling back to phase 2, as Virginia has not only metro but rural outbreaks. Eastern shore (beach/chicken processing plants) running 16 to 21% positivity, and rural counties 15 to 25 % positivity.

Our state numbers are running 7.2 to 7.8 % which is not a true reflect of virus prevalence. NOVA ( 40% of VA population), has contained the virus and running below 5%., where the rest of our health districts are above 9 to 20%. Factoring in NOVA numbers scuse the outbreak we are experiencing in the entire rest of the state.

Our governor, who is a Physician, did NOT listen or take the advisement of DR. Birx. He stopped the sale of alcohol at 10pm, and is closing bars at 12pm, in Eastern Virginia only, limiting gatherings to 50 or less.

The CDC team is on its third trip to eastern shore to try and contain, with no assistance from our state leaders.

MOO, Virginia cases will continue to rise in rural areas, as the governor has ask local counties to NOT roll back restrictions, it could affect cities CARES funding from the state. We have NO state wide testing, and rank in the lowest for testing in the US.

Some governors are NOT listening to the CDC, WH taskforce, nor are they using dollars received under CARES to provide an effective response to COVID.

A national responsse will not work, the federal government does not have jurisdictions over the states. We have seen in recent weeks how federal intervention is NOT received well in most states.

When the 15 day plan was issued by the WHTF it was up to individual governors to close schools, businesses, etc.

I don't see this ending any time soon. I hear the same message my state leaders hear, daily from CDC, WHTF, Dr. Fauci, all being ignored.

Shaking my head in Virginia.....as we brace for high wind and flooding in the middle and western rural communities over the next two days from the tropical storm. Stressing our local volunteer EMS personnel even more.

White House expert recommends Northam close bars, limit indoor dining

Dr. Birx recommended Northam close bars 'where social distancing isn't possible' and limit indoor dining, according to WRIC.

She said that these restrictions would be most effective statewide, but ultimately it's up to Northam.

"It could really prevent Virginia from having the experience that our southern states have had by starting mitigation efforts sooner rather than later," Birx said.

MOO....

Last edited:

For the next year or two? Has he not heard about the vaccines?

Dr. Fauci says coronavirus vaccine likely won't be 'widely' available until several months into 2021

Last edited:
Victoria enters state of disaster

Victoria enters state of disaster

Sky News Australia

2 hrs ago
A state of disaster has been declared in Victoria for the next six weeks, bringing with it the nation’s toughest rules since the pandemic began.

Metropolitan Melbourne is now under strict stage four restrictions which include: a curfew between 8PM and 5AM, residents limited to a 5KM radius for shopping and exercise, students return to remote learning from Wednesday, funerals limited to 10 people and weddings banned.
BB17tYVH.img

From comments here earlier yesterday, I thought 60 Minutes was going to be covering the situation in Victoria... but they did not. Three relatively obscure stories here in US, no update on Victoria... but plenty of other coverage...

With no national coordination it's impossible for the US to lockdown for 4 - 6 weeks.

In the USA we are governed by the state. The federal government does not have the authority or legal power to "lock down" a state or even a city. That I can find and continue to look for.

I have read, re-read, the Constitution and federal law and see no loop hole the federal government has to issue a federal mandate and use US troops to enforce locking down a state. As I see/read, the federal government only has jurisdiction on federal owned land...federal parks, military bases, federal court houses and government agencies.

Many times states chose to ignore federal laws and not enforce. Our federal government has chosen not to take military/legal action against these states or localities. Two examples I reference are the states refusing to enforce or assist the federal government with illegally growing marijuana, many states have made legal, although federally illegal. Also ICE, many states and localities refuse and even assist/protect illegal immigrants from federal authorities.

Just not seeing a national/federal one size fits all response coming. Some states won't follow CDC recommendations for masks. opening communities only when positivity is below 5%, school recommendations, etc.

States "buck up" against the federal government and law frequently.

How would be ever be able to have a national response?

I agree its what we need, especially in states that refuse to follow the 1000s of pages of CDC recommendations to protect US citizens,

OT/ recently found out my local administers, BOS, School Board and even the School superintendent had NOT read the CDC guidelines, they were waiting on the State/local health depart crip note version. They seemed surprised and some offended that I would read them. Coming from a career of HC management CDC was our Bible, set the goal standard, always used to set policy and make decisions. We always read and followed CDC guidleines.

MOO....

Last edited:
In the USA we are governed by the state. The federal governorment does not have the authority or legal power to "lock down" a state or even a city. That I can find and continue to look for.

I have read, re-read, the Constitution and federal law and see no loop hole the federal government has to issue a federal mandate and use US troops to enforce locking down a state. As I see/read, the federal government only has jurisdiction on federal owned land...federal parks, military bases, federal court houses and government agencies.

Many times states chose to ignore federal laws and not enforce. Our federal government has chosen not to take military action against these states or localities. Two examples I reference are the states refusing to enforce or assist the federal government with growing marijuana, many states have made legal, although federally illegal. Also ICE, many states and localities refuse and even assist/protect illegal immigrants from federal authorities.

Just not seeing a national/federal one size fits all response coming. Some states won't follow CDC recommendations for masks. opening communities only when positivity is below 5%, school recommendations, etc.

States "buck up" against the federal government and law frequently.

How would be ever be able to have a national response?

I agree its what we need, especially in states that refuse to follow the 1000s of pages of CDC recommendations to protect US citizens,

OT/ recently found out my local administers, BOS, School Board and even the School superintendent had NOT read the CDC guidelines, they were waiting on the State/local health depart crip note version. They seemed surprised and some offended that I would read them. Coming from a career of HC management CDC was our Bible, set the goal standard, always used to set policy and make decisions. We always read CDC.

MOO....

But SimplySouthern....there is such a thing as cooperation. States/Feds work together all the time around issues that require working together.

I agree with you ( I think) that the marijuana situation in the States is a total disaster. Clear understanding why the Black Market is still the only profitable player in the M game.

One of President Trump's top medical advisers has warned that the US is entering a new phase in its fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

Deborah Birx told CNN the disease was "extraordinarily widespread" across the country and a greater threat than when the outbreak first began.

She said it was now affecting rural areas as well as big cities.

The US has recorded more cases and deaths than any other country.

According to a tally by Johns Hopkins University, more than 4.6 million infections and at least 154,834 deaths have been confirmed in America.

"As I travelled around the country, I saw all of America moving," Dr Birx said. "If you have chosen to go on vacation into a hot spot, you really need to come back and protect those with co-morbidities and assume you're infected."

US entering 'different' phase of Covid-19 outbreak

DUH!!!

I finally got my test results today: Negative

It took 17 days to get this answer.
While I am happy to learn I am negative, 17 days is unacceptable. My husband got his test results in 14 days. Also too long. He took the test 1 day before me at the same location. It was done through a CVS drive-up pharmacy window. I noted they use Quest Diagnostics. I am in SoCal.

That is so amazing... If anyone CAN sign up for a medical procedure, you get the results in 24-48 hours. I had a colonoscopy and full rotator cuff surgery in one week. Got a test for each, and results right away. I know... hard way to get something that should be easy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member