Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
9 minors dead now in Florida from Covid. How can anyone say that it’s safe to return to school?

Well, sure, if you don't mind if 9 out of 38,000 kids who get CoVid will die. That's about what the rate is.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/pediatric_report_latest.pdf

Is that what some are being asked to tolerate and accept? Yes, that's apparently the idea in the "back to school right now" states.

Will the kids be alerted as to their danger status if they have any one of a number of pre-existing conditions? I sure hope so.

.02%

2 kids out of every 10,000 or so. 1 in 5000 kids.

And we try to teach them to be safe about all kinds of things that are less deadly. Or maybe we don't do that any more, I may be living in the past.

I think that if there were some targeted public service announcements, with someone like LeBron, telling guys "to mask up" and providing this type of information, it would be very effective.

At least, it would be better that what is happening now, nothing.

Agreed - very much. We need the big over-arching PR campaign and then these targeted campaigns. Like the ones we still use to get kids to join the military.

Well, sure, if you don't mind if 9 out of 38,000 kids who get CoVid will die. That's about what the rate is.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/pediatric_report_latest.pdf

Is that what some are being asked to tolerate and accept? Yes, that's apparently the idea in the "back to school right now" states.

Will the kids be alerted as to their danger status if they have any one of a number of pre-existing conditions? I sure hope so.

.02%

And we try to teach them to be safe about all kinds of things that are less deadly. Or maybe we don't do that any more, I may be living in the past.
But, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Schools haven’t started where I am right now. Wait until the school year starts rolling and those minor children’s numbers go up.
Then add the parents (who may not be in great health), grandparents, (who we are supposed to be shielding), or the siblings who have medical fragility. And the teachers. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I know that it is psychologically and emotionally negative to the kids not to go back to normal school, peers, etc. but that doesn’t condone sending them off (or the teachers) into a virus laden war zone. I’m just sooo fed up with the U.S.’s response as a whole.

It's hard to explain - almost has to be experienced. A good example is a restaurant in a small town outside of Phoenix. The owner decided that she couldn't survive another week of being closed, so she defied the State's lock down order and opened her restaurant for dine-in service. The authorities came and told her close, she told them they'd have to arrest her, and her customers cheered as they continued eating. The authorities left. My wife and I went up there, to see what was what, and were shocked to be surrounded by a large crowd of people, many carrying guns, waiting two hours for a table. This was a short drive from one of the largest cities in the country - I can't imagine what's like in more rural areas.

So I guess I think it's impossible because there are places where people won't behave the way they did in NYC,

Do you think if businesses had better and more reliable financial support that this would still be happening? I feel like businesses here in Australia are getting pretty decent support, from lump sum payments from both federal and state, to a wage support program ($1500 per fortnight per employee they keep employed) to tax waivers and license fee waivers etc. We’re not really seeing any of that kind of behavior here. Just the odd lone or very small group deniers who are immediately widely condemned by the community at large. I haven’t seen any business refuse to close.

I’m just wondering if this is more cultural or if it’s really just basic instinct survival, ie being asked to close but yet receiving little to no support to do so, and thus their livelihood, and that if their employees, is at stake. Or a bit of both maybe.

I just feel like it would help if the people in charge could drill down to the root cause of the problem and fix it, it could make a huge difference. It just feels like this endless loop of “please do this” “no, I refuse”.
moo

I just cannot believe we have come to this point as a society.
We’ve got medical responders across the board risking their lives to save people from this virus. And now, we’ve got teachers who are being put in another *advertiser censored* storm.
When do their voices get heard? What about the little people? The ones that aren’t wielding guns and rioting?

The Dignity Drive is back for 2020

The Dignity Drive, also known as Share the Dignity is back for 2020, and there's a plethora of ways you can help women suffering period poverty. Australian Women's Weekly spoke to the women helping to make a difference
2020 has seen a massive escalation in calls for help to Share the Dignity, the charity that supplies free sanitary items to women and girls in need.

People are generous and in the last five years the charity has distributed over 2.5 million items. But this year, COVID struck. Suddenly there was no stock on the shelves and the drive was cancelled.

"When COVID hit, we were dealing with 3.2 million Australians living under the poverty line," says Rochelle.

"We have to assume that at least a million of those are menstruating women who can't afford sanitary products. And since then we've seen an increased demand.

The Dignity Drive is back for 2020

A Victorian police officer had her head repeatedly bashed into concrete by a woman who refused to wear a mask in line with coronavirus rules, police have revealed.

The 26-year-old officer and her partner approached a woman about 5pm on Monday at a Frankston shopping centre who was not wearing a mask and the confrontation turned violent, Chief Commissioner Shane Patton revealed during Tuesday’s press conference.

"They approached a 38-year-old woman, who wasn't wearing a mask. After a confrontation and being assaulted by that woman, those police officers went to ground and there was a scuffle," he said.

"This 38-year-old woman smashed the head of the policewoman several times into a concrete area on the ground.

Police woman's head smashed into concrete by anti-masker

Melbourne's stage 3 lockdown prevented thousands of coronavirus cases, research data shows

Lockdown restrictions in Melbourne during July prevented almost 19,000 people from contracting COVID-19, according to new data.
Researchers from the Burnet Institute predicted about 27,000 people would have been diagnosed with coronavirus in July had the growth rate in Victoria continued unchecked.
Instead, just over 8,000 people with locally-acquired infections were diagnosed in Victoria.

Forget the depressing daily numbers, Melbourne's stage 3 lockdown averted thousands of cases

Great Fauci, threw the ball perfectly here:

Dr. Fauci swooped in to defend coronavirus czar Dr. Birx after Trump called her 'pathetic' for acknowledging that the coronavirus pandemic is getting worse in the US

Dr. Fauci swooped in to defend coronavirus czar Dr. Birx after Trump called her 'pathetic' for acknowledging that the coronavirus pandemic is getting worse in the US

Lauren Frias

2 hrs ago
  • Top US infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci defended White House coronavirus czar Dr. Deborah Birx after President Donald Trump criticised her for her stark assessment of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
  • On Sunday, Birx said that the US is entering a "new phase" of the pandemic, as surges in cases can be attributed to asymptomatic carriers who don't know they are infected and make it much more difficult to identify, isolate, and contact trace the virus within communities.
  • Trump took Birx's analysis as a criticism of the US pandemic response, accusing her of offering such a grim assessment to curry favour with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who has condemned the coronavirus czar for not doing enough to confront the president's faulty claims on the pandemic.
Dr. Anthony Fauci came to the defence of White House COVID-19 czar Dr. Deborah Birx after President Donald Trump slammed her for acknowledging that the coronavirus is getting worse in the US.

On Sunday, Birx said the US is entering a "new phase" of the coronavirus pandemic as some states see uncontrolled surges in cases by asymptomatic individuals.

Her comments on the pandemic came after House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said the coronavirus czar "enabled" the president and has not done enough to confront his misguided claims about the coronavirus.
Trump, however, took Birx's stark assessment of a "new phase" as a blow to the US response to the coronavirus, accusing Birx of acknowledging the worsening pandemic in order to appeal to Pelosi's criticisms.

"So Crazy Nancy Pelosi said horrible things about Dr. Deborah Birx, going after her because she was too positive on the very good job we are doing on combatting the China Virus, including Vaccines & Therapeutics," Trump tweetedMonday. "In order to counter Nancy, Deborah took the bait & hit us. Pathetic!"

In a virtual press conference with Gov. Ned Lamont of Connecticut, Fauci elaborated on Birx's analysis of a "new phase" of the pandemic by explaining that she was referring to the prevalence of "inherent community spread" in the US.
Birx and Fauci's viewpoints of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic stand at odds with the president's, as he continues to refer to confirmed infections in the US as "embers" that can be quickly stamped out.

Victorian coronavirus rulebreakers warned as Melbourne woman charged with attacking police officer over mask

Victorian coronavirus rulebreakers warned as Melbourne woman charged with attacking police officer over mask

By Leonie Thorne

3 hrs ago
The woman's alleged assault left the young police officer with a concussion
and a missing clump of hair, Police Association of Victoria secretary Wayne Gatt said.

"Frontline police and emergency service workers shouldn't have to go through this," he said.

"We should be holding them in the highest of regards and supporting them as they keep us safe — not dragging them to the ground and smashing their head into the concrete."

Police have charged the alleged attacker with nine offences, including two counts of assaulting an emergency worker and one count of recklessly causing injury.

Rise of 'sovereign citizens' baiting police and refusing orders
Chief Commissioner Patton said in the past week police had seen a trend of people calling themselves "sovereign citizens" who "don't think the law applies to them".
"On at least four occasions in the last week, we've had to smash the windows of cars and pull people out to provide details because they weren't adhering to the Chief Health Officer's guidelines, they weren't providing their name and address."

"Police are out there, putting themselves in harm's way, they run towards the danger when the rest of us wouldn't."

LA's finest... Party. Rented facility at a bar. About 100+ present. No masks. No social distancing. And what a dumb thing to say...
The officer defended the gathering Friday night saying, "Everybody is either family or works at the same place so that's why we don't have Covid concerns."

How can people be expected to follow CA's law when this happens? LASD have been issuing $300 tickets to those w/o a mask, but this happens?

CNN was tipped off to the event by a source with direct knowledge of the party, who was told it would involve 100 to 150 law enforcement personnel at Sassafras Saloon.
LAPD officer among dozens seen without masks or social distancing at Hollywood party - CNN

.02%

The school district where I live has a plan, but will it work? Keep in mind that parents can choose complete online and can opt out of the plan.
Plan: This base model will allow each student to attend school in person two days per week, in smaller groups of approximately one half the normal class size, wearing face coverings and social distancing. Students will learn from home on days when they are not in school.

My feeling is kids are going to mingle, no matter the numbers.

The school district where I live has a plan, but will it work? Keep in mind that parents can choose complete online and can opt out of the plan.
Plan: This base model will allow each student to attend school in person two days per week, in smaller groups of approximately one half the normal class size, wearing face coverings and social distancing. Students will learn from home on days when they are not in school.

My feeling is kids are going to mingle, no matter the numbers.

I've seen some plans that have an alternate day schedule for students, but that doesn't give time for the school to be cleaned properly.

A different arrangement would be to have half the class go to school four days in a row. Then the school is closed on Friday, Saturday, Sunday for cleaning. Then the other half attends for the next four days, followed by three day closure. All students from the same home would attend the same four days.

Students would still attend four days every two weeks. But they would have 10 days off between sessions, which should give sufficient time to evaluate for symptoms, test and isolate if necessary.

Of course, this would only start once there is no known community spread. To start sooner wouldn't work with any model for school reopening because the teacher is not sufficiently protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong