FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't argue with you, but it's not the norm. Most states play well together. When you look at the sheer number of cases on which ICPC referrals are made every day, one or two examples do not constitute the norm. One or two examples can always be produced to contradict claims about anything from politics to the outcome of a turtle race, all that proves is that anomalies exist in everything.
I don’t want to argue either or derail the thread. But statistically it is a significant problem with great variability between states. The American Bar Association reports:
“Federal law requires states to complete interstate home studies within 60 days, but this only occurs in about 45% of cases. Approximately 30% of home studies take longer than 90 days to complete.” Foster Kids in Limbo: The Effects of the Interstate Compact on Children in Foster Care
Both the personal case and the academic case example involved NY, but the stats clearly show broader delays of months in many ICPC cases in the US.

MOO: For families whose loved one has just been abandoned or removed from their home due to violence and abuse, every day is painful that the child you care about is in some institution or with strangers on top of the trauma they are already going through. Appreciate that our social workers are overloaded and underfunded. But the current delays are unacceptable JMO.

Although this thread started out about little Kamdyn being found, it has now turned into a missing person case about his mother. Kamdyn is safe and the focus of this discussion is finding Leila or finding out what happened to her.

Members may discuss what is said in MSM or by LE about the family hiring a law firm but sleuthing of the family social media or the law firm and its lawyers is not allowed.

I don’t want to argue either or derail the thread. But statistically it is a significant problem with great variability between states. The American Bar Association reports:
“Federal law requires states to complete interstate home studies within 60 days, but this only occurs in about 45% of cases. Approximately 30% of home studies take longer than 90 days to complete.” Foster Kids in Limbo: The Effects of the Interstate Compact on Children in Foster Care
Both the personal case and the academic case example involved NY, but the stats clearly show broader delays of months in many ICPC cases in the US.

MOO: For families whose loved one has just been abandoned or removed from their home due to violence and abuse, every day is painful that the child you care about is in some institution or with strangers on top of the trauma they are already going through. Appreciate that our social workers are overloaded and underfunded. But the current delays are unacceptable JMO.

This article specifically states in the beginning that it is not representative of the view of the ABA. It's an opinion piece. Dated 2014, which means it is using data substantially older than 2014 to support the author's opinion.

I can't speak for other states, but NYS requires program improvement plans when we fail to meet national standards. We face sanctions and other penalties if we fail to improve our practices to the degree that we meet or exceed those standards. Change happens continuously, and that's not just lip service.

I have a lengthy response to your MOO, but it isn't relative to this family's situation. Going forward under the premise that LC did not abandon her child willingly and was a victim of foul play, I hope that the family members involved have the proper guidance to navigate the system swiftly.

Maybe her mom knew SOMETHING like the fact she was coming down to Florida but then she just disappeared. MOO
In news reports, Sisters say they didn’t know. Mom hasn’t said much and hasn’t been seen at press briefings. But she lives in the same town/city as the sisters, so we can speculate, that she probably didn’t know. Unless, she was sworn to secrecy by Leila.
Maybe her Mother lives in Dawsonville since no one else in the family seemed to live there. Maybe she had daily contact with Leila before she left. MOO
Leila’s mother lives in Jasper, Ala., her grandmother lives in Dawsonville, Ga. She was kicked out of her grandmother’s and possibly her mother’s; and was allegedly living with an older couple that is not related. JIMO

Last edited:
It's been my experience that Walmart and other businesses let LE view video without any kind of warrant or subpeona. LE generally supplies a warrant to CYA if they actually confiscate original video, but most businesses have no trouble allowing LE to review the tapes.

true but it could get thrown out as evidence in court if obtained without one.

Video at link.
'She Could Be In More Danger': Family Of Missing Mom Leila Cavett Seek Answers
“Every day that goes passes she could be in more and more danger and we just don’t even know it. We have no answers. We cannot get a hold of her in the slightest,” said Leila’s sister Tyuania Cavett.''

''The family has been working for more than a week to get in touch with Kamdyn. They’re finally getting a couple of video calls.''

“The fact that he hasn’t seen any familiar faces in nearly two weeks is probably scaring him because he’s still a baby, he doesn’t know anyone down there,” said Tyuania.

“Not a single part of me has lost faith. God is going to bring her home. She’s perfectly fine. I know she’s probably scared as every right now, but I’m not losing hope,” said Tyuania.

If you have any information about where Leila Cavett may be, call Broward Crime Stoppers at (954) 493-TIPS. And remember, you can remain anonymous.''

FBI joins investigation of missing Georgia mother whose toddler was found in Miramar
''MIRAMAR, FLA. (WSVN) - The FBI has stepped into the investigation of a missing Georgia mother whose toddler was found alone in South Florida.''

Does anyone know if they have her facebook messenger records yet? I know the last update I heard her father said he wanted to see if police could gain access to her messenger and see if she was chatting with a man online through facebook. That is what he believes but I don't know what he bases that off of as I haven't heard anything that says for sure that is the case. Either way I'm wondering can they access the information in her phone without physically having the phone? I'm not too tech savvy to know how all that would work but seems to me they would be able to do something like that at least for text messages and call logs. If anyone knows more about this feel free to educate me please.

I've seen several case on WS where emergency custody was granted to grandparents/family members quickly. It still requires a background check, home visit/safety assessment, and guardian ad litem to represent the best interest of the child.

DSS is charged with providing a safe, secure environment for the child. The speed of the process relies on the results of the above. If home has safety issues, those must be fixed. Foster parents must be able to support the child financially...pay rent/mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, etc. If home has multiple people living there, they all must have background checks. The process can be delayed during the background/discovery process.

In this case DNA to determine paternity. It appears many family members are interested in custody, this could result in legal litigation.

If there's a delay, there is a reason. DSS staff want child placed quickly, they want the problem solved and will go to great extremes to assist families to gain custody. I've seen emergency funds used to move families to better housing, purchase furniture, arrange child care for working families. I have seen folks be denied due to criminal backgrounds with assault/abuse/drug charges/abuse.

The child will remain in DSS custody until he is reclaimed by his mother/father and proven they can safety care for him, reaches the age of 18,or is adopted.

it must vary by state because even family placements receive stipend, Medicaid and stamps for kinship placements here.

ETA: but I believe they need to be able to provide a stable home otherwise so that makes sense.

Last edited:
I learned about this in the Serenity Denard podcast. She had so many willing family members that lived in other states and instead she went through an obscene number of foster homes and developed RAD.
Thank you. It’s a massive problem. And very non-partisan. I hope the websleuths community can help fix this

I can't speak for other states, but NYS requires program improvement plans when we fail to meet national standards. We face sanctions and other penalties if we fail to improve our practices to the degree that we meet or exceed those standards. Change happens continuously, and that's not just lip service.

I have a lengthy response to your MOO, but it isn't relative to this family's situation. Going forward under the premise that LC did not abandon her child willingly and was a victim of foul play, I hope that the family members involved have the proper guidance to navigate the system swiftly.
I hate confrontation. But nothing will make me fight like this issue. You can be a flipping pediatrician with a clean five star record and a very high level federal government security classification AND YOU were the one to report your concerns to authorities. But out of state, every lawyer told us it would take six months to get kids out of group homes. We fought hard and all paid top dollar, it still took almost five months.

ETA: My friends: this could be you. No amount of money or smarts or pre-emptive action to file a complaint helped. Many families today cross state lines. Let’s fix this BS.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member