Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the same. I've always tried to have enough to last awhile, of all kinds of household things, groceries etc.
Enough that if something happened, like getting ill, that you would be okay for a month at least.
I love shopping but for the basics I've never like the idea of "having" to go shopping every couple of days for them. What a drudge.
That's no way to live in my opinion, sort of meal to meal. I know some are forced to live this this but others seem to live like that by choice, heaven knows why, and are always running out of things and having to rush to the shops all the time. Running around like headless chooks.
I buy some things when they're on special, half price often, things like laundry liquid or powder, dishwasher pods, washing up liquid, air fresheners, cosmetics, vitamins etc.
I always like to have a spare at least, like one full jar of coffee and a spare one.
It makes me feel that if something happened, I got sick for instance that I would be okay for awhile.
So far I don't think I've hoarded anything, more like I have been buying a bit more of certain things like hand sanitiser etc, but just the odd bottle, every now and then so now I think I have enough to last for awhile.

My husband and i go to the grocery store almost every other day and I enjoy it since it is the only time i get out of the house!! I have also bought stuff that I think i may need in case the stuff hits the fan and the shelves get cleaned out again. I order these basics online from either Amazon or Walmart; i never want to be in a position again where i dont have toilet paper, towel paper, kleenex, alcohol and things like that. I also bought a couple of thermometers and i have a pulse oximeter ( i could not find these two items at all in March, April or May)- I had to shop on line to get a simple thing like a thermometer. I also bought some canned goods i normally would not buy just in case.

A large portion of us are at risk because we are large. That's actually a more confirmed link than even autoimmune illnesses. And I do wonder if it's why we have more kids getting sick. After my lock down weight regain I'm trying hard to lose it here....

You have my empathy. I went into March with 12 lbs I needed to lose. I think I've lost 7 lb. Getting there. Just trying to eat sensibly. I am not good about exercise. Still working on that.

My husband, on the other hand, took up running again and his version of low carb. He's lost 80 lb since March.

A large portion of us are at risk because we are large. That's actually a more confirmed link than even autoimmune illnesses. And I do wonder if it's why we have more kids getting sick. After my lock down weight regain I'm trying hard to lose it here....
I havent gained but have a fair bit to lose. Off for my walk now. I'll be your buddy-up ;)

The Coronavirus Is Never Going Away

"Even when a much-anticipated vaccine arrives, it is likely to only suppress but never completely eradicate the virus. (For context, consider that vaccines exist for more than a dozen human viruses but only one, smallpox, has ever been eradicated from the planet, and that took 15 years of immense global coordination.) We will probably be living with this virus for the rest of our lives."

If we will be living with this virus for ' the rest of our lives', I think we have to figure out how to live our lives as safely as possible, but still work and go to school and see our families, etc. It has to be done responsibly but it has to be done, in my opinion.

This Saturday, my husband and I are going to go eat dinner with my son and his wife, and their 5 year old daughter. I am so excited to see them as a family again.

Our last two short visits were on lawn chairs on their front lawn. Waving and smiling from 10 feet away.

Saturday night we are going to eat dinner, socially distanced, on their back patio. We will BBQ like we did so often last summer, and wear masks except for when we are eating. We will throw the ball for their dogs and catch up on our lives.

My son gets tested once a week at his job site. His wife and daughter have been quarantining since March 12th. They order all their supplies online and walk their dogs in the neighborhood. That is pretty much it.

We have been quarantining as well. I go out for supplies very occasionally, but always mask up and wear covered eye shields and gloves and shower upon my return.

So we are taking a big step towards family normalisation. it is very painful not to spend time with my only grandchild. They only live 20 minutes away. She just turned 5 and I have barely seen her since she was 4 and 1/2. She is so much taller, and she can read now. I don't want to miss out on her childhood. :(

So we will continue to take these same precautions against the Virus. But we will begin to reconnect with family we have not seen.

I have not seen my 89 yr old mother since march 12th. She is no longer able to use her cell because she just cannot remember how to do it.

So we can only talk by her landline phone. And she has not really seen any loved ones since last March. Her retirement complex has been totally free from Covid, thank goodness. That is because it locked down on March 11th. I was told to leave on the 12th because it was shutting down and all visitors needed to leave.

It is great they did that. They saved all 200 seniors by doing that. But Mom is getting very lonely. They are not even allowed. to see each other. She has her own little apartment unit. But no one can visit and she cannot go anywhere but to her mail box and to the laundry room down the hall...:confused:

My brother is going to try and visit this month but he has to have a negative test within 24 hours of his visit. He will do so because he also feels like it is time to reconnect with our family.

If they say it will be around until late 2021, then many more people will begin to feel the same way. We need to figure out a way to see our loved ones, especially the elderly, who do not have that much more time. :(

Last edited:
Coronavirus: Lockdown to be reimposed in Aberdeen after spike in cases

Lockdown measures are to be reimposed in the Aberdeen area after a spike in coronavirus cases, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has said.

Speaking at her daily coronavirus briefing in Edinburgh on Wednesday, Ms Sturgeon said 54 cases had been reported as part of a cluster of infections in Aberdeen.

She added the rise in cases had contributed to a greater fear there was a "significant outbreak" in the city.

Under the reimposed restrictions, residents in the Aberdeen area are being told to travel no more than five miles from their home and ordered not to enter each other's houses.

All indoor and outdoor hospitality has also been told to close by 5pm on Wednesday.

The measures will be reviewed in a week's time, with Ms Sturgeon expressing her hope they could then be removed, either in entirety or in part.

However, if necessary, the first minister warned the restrictions could be extended beyond the initial seven-day period.

If we will be living with this virus fore the rest of our lives, I think we have to figure out how to live our lives as safely as possible, but still work and go to school and see our families, etc. It has to be done responsibly but it has to be done, in my opinion.

This Saturday, my husband and I are going to go eat dinner with my son and his wife, and their 5 year old daughter. I am so excited to see them as a family again.

Our last two short visits were on lawn chairs on their front lawn. Waving and smiling from 10 feet away.

Saturday night we are going to eat dinner, socially distanced, on their back patio. We will BBQ like we did so often last summer, and wear masks except for when we are eating. We will throw the ball for their dogs and catch up on our lives.

My son gets tested once a week at his job site. His wife and daughter have been quarantining since March 12th. They order all their supplies online and walk their dogs in the neighborhood. That is pretty much it.

We have been quarantining as well. I go out for supplies very occasionally, but always mask up and wear covered eye shields and gloves and shower upon my return.

So we are taking a big step towards family normalisation. it is very painful not to spend time with my only grandchild. They only live 20 minutes away. She just turned 5 and I have barely seen her since she was 4 and 1/2. She is so much taller, and she can read now. I don't want to miss out on her childhood. :(

So we will continue to take these same precautions against the Virus. But we will begin to reconnect with family we have not seen.

I have not seen my 89 yr old mother since march 12th. She is no longer able to use her cell because she just cannot remember how to do it.

So we can only talk by her landline phone. And she has not really seen any loved ones since last March. Her retirement complex has been totally free from Covid, thank goodness. That is because it locked down on March 11th. I was told to leave on the 12th because it was shutting down and all visitors needed to leave.

It is great they did that. They saved all 200 seniors by doing that. But Mom is getting very lonely. They are not even allowed. to see each other. She has her own little apartment unit. But no one can visit and she cannot go anywhere but to her mail box and to the laundry room down the hall...:confused:

My brother is going to try and visit this month but he has to have a negative test within 24 hours of his visit. He will do so because he also feels like it is time to reconnect with our family.

If they say it will be around until late 2021, then many more people will begin to feel the same way. We need to figure out a way to see our loved ones, especially the elderly, who do not have that much more time. :(
I’m so glad you are able to see your only grandchild! It makes it easier when they are following the same protocols. And if they aren’t seeing anyone else, no daycare exposure and have been self isolating since March - sounds like it’s safe to visit! I hope you have a wonderful visit!

If everyone in your mom’s complex has been locked down that long - wonder why they don’t let them see each other? At least sit outside and visit with other residents? Especially if no one has been allowed to visit, it sounds like they are in their own bubble.

I don’t know how families are going to work out visiting with grandparents with parents needing daycare to work, some schools opening, plane travel, etc. Makes my head hurt trying to figure out options.

If we will be living with this virus fore the rest of our lives, I think we have to figure out how to live our lives as safely as possible, but still work and go to school and see our families, etc. It has to be done responsibly but it has to be done, in my opinion.

I think if/once the paper strip tests are allowed and available, things could become a lot easier.
To me, it would be worth it to pay $1-$5 to make sure each of us are covid-free prior to getting together with family members.

This NY Times article says that the strips would cost $1-$5.
Opinion | A Cheap, Simple Way to Control the Coronavirus

And these other articles explain how 3M - and McGovern Institute for Brain Research (MIT) in conjunction with Broad Institute (MIT & Harvard) - have been working hard to develop these paper strips. The FDA has authorised emergency use of the McGovern/Broad Institutes version already.
3M pairs with MIT to develop a paper-based coronavirus diagnostic test
[Updated] Fast Paper Strip Covid-19 Test Devised with Crispr | Science and Enterprise

I have a friend who has her whole laundry packed with toilet paper and paper towels. She also has her undercover back veranda stacked with boxes of tinned goods and dry products because they wont fit in her cupboards in her house. She is 73 years old and lives alone.
When I showed surprise at her hoarding, she answered 'Eff you, I am not going to miss out on anything'. I don't get this attitude. There is enough for everyone.
Because she is 73, she may have been raised by parents who went through the depression. My 89 yr old Mom is kind of that way. She does not hoard really. Her home is quite organised.

But she lives in a retirement community, where she gets 3 nice meals a day, cooked for her to order, and they drop it off at her door. But she usually just orders the dinner, and makes her own breakfast and lunch. And her tiny kitchen in her apartment is stock full of canned goods, crackers, paper goods, etc. And her large refrigerator is so full I can never find a place to put the new milk carton in. Freezer totally stuffed as well. And she lives alone.

She just does not like to run out of anything. She has 3 cartons of OJ, at all times. lol.

It just puts her at ease to think she has enough food and drinks, come what may. ;)

Last edited:
If we will be living with this virus for ' the rest of our lives', I think we have to figure out how to live our lives as safely as possible, but still work and go to school and see our families, etc. It has to be done responsibly but it has to be done, in my opinion.

RSBM.
Kudos to you for making the best of this horrible situation we are all in.

My elderly mother has also managed to avoid getting the virus; thank goodness because I don't think she could survive it due to age and many health issues. We couldn't see her until a few weeks ago, and now we can but with mask, gown, gloves and maintaining a 6' distance.

Ireland has delayed the pubs reopening for a second time so we're staying in Phase 3 until the end of August at least...

Govt told of NPHET's 'significant and growing concerns'

The Government has published the advice it received from the National Public Health Emergency Team, which led to its decision yesterday not to go ahead with Phase 4 of the reopening roadmap.

The advice is set out in a letter from Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn to Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly.

In it, Dr Glynn says NPHET has "significant and growing concerns".

These include the increasing number of cases being reported each day as well as increasing numbers of cases in vulnerable groups such as those living in direct provision.

He said NPHET is also concerned about multiple significant outbreaks in workplaces - particularly in construction and food production sectors; the increasing number of cases in young people, particularly those between 25 and 34 years old and the shift in the location of the majority of case from the greater Dublin region to other counties in the last seven to ten days.

Dr Glynn said 73% of cases in the last fortnight have been in people under 45. The median age is 32 and some days have seen a median age of 30.

The majority of cases are no longer predominantly limited to the greater Dublin region.

(...)

NPHET said it was recommending a cautious but measured approach should be pursued and said the current public health measures should remain in place, with some adjustments.

It said the current level of community transmission was reasonably low, but Ireland was no different to other countries and there was a continuing and heightened risk that the increase in cases could lead to increasing levels of community transmission in the coming weeks.

NPHET has recommended a number of additional measures for the restaurant and cafe sector, including that such premises should close by 10.30pm, except for takeout and delivery and the mandatory wearing of masks by staff.

The Government has decided restaurants should close by 11pm.

(More at link)

For those in the USA:

Hand sanitizers warning: FDA's list of sanitizers with methanol grows

The Food and Drug Administration's list of hand sanitizers to avoid keeps growing.

As of Tuesday, the FDA's "do-not-use list of dangerous hand sanitizer products" now includes 114 varieties of hand sanitizer that should be avoided because they may contain methanol, a potentially fatal ingredient.

More of the hand sanitizers have also been recalled and others are being recommended for recall. Methanol is a toxic substance when absorbed through skin or ingested.

I’m so glad you are able to see your only grandchild! It makes it easier when they are following the same protocols. And if they aren’t seeing anyone else, no daycare exposure and have been self isolating since March - sounds like it’s safe to visit! I hope you have a wonderful visit!

If everyone in your mom’s complex has been locked down that long - wonder why they don’t let them see each other? At least sit outside and visit with other residents? Especially if no one has been allowed to visit, it sounds like they are in their own bubble.

I don’t know how families are going to work out visiting with grandparents with parents needing daycare to work, some schools opening, plane travel, etc. Makes my head hurt trying to figure out options.

They recently allowed them to walk in the halls for exercise, 'side by side' only Mom says. . And they do get to 'visit' from their balconies. My mom can speak to her neighbour from balcony to balcony, which is nice. They mostly just watch the birds together.

I think they kept them apart at first because they truly did not know if one of them had been exposed and they wanted to lock them all down, just in case. After 4 weeks, they did allow them to come down to lobby to get mail, and so they could visit from afar, but had to wear masks, which is hard with oxygen, my mom says. lol

And every Thursday and Sunday they put on little shows for them on the back lawn. So they all come out on balconies or back patio, and watch kids choirs, or Irish Dancers, or flamenco dancers, etc lol

My mom said she does see a few of her friends briefly when she gets mail or something, but she tells me they are usually hurried back to their apartments by staff. I cannot complain though because not one of the 211 residents caught the virus. And it is in Reno, NV, and there was a hotspot there already in March. That is why they shut the centre down so quickly.

Yes, I am sure my son's family has been VERY careful because my son's mom-in-law just finished her radiation treatments for Hodgkins. o_O And my DIL needed to help her through it so they have been very very careful not to get the virus.

So my husband and I did not visit them very much because of that . But she is through the treatments and doing well, so we can now visit our kids again.

Luckily our daughter and her boyfriend got a new puppy recently, so I did get to visit my fur-grand baby a lot last month. :p

We live in a Los Angeles suburb so things are very dicey here. It is full of hot spots so we do not go anywhere but our yard and the immediate area for a walk.

I was following a preliminary hearing on Monday and Tuesday this week for THE high profile case right now at WS, and was shocked that those in the gallery were not wearing their masks at times, some not correctly wearing their masks most of the time (the ol' cover your mouth, but not the nose / nasopharyngeal where the virus has those ACE2 receptor cells and likes to hang out).

It's gonna be a long time before we have jury trials MOO. There is no way I would be sitting on a panel with such disregard, and the court not enforcing the rules, for perhaps a year from now.

Can't post this on the trial thread as would be ... just not right as to who I would be pointing out that was doing such iykwim. So, came here to vent.

MOO

I think if/once the paper strip tests are allowed and available, things could become a lot easier.
To me, it would be worth it to pay $1-$5 to make sure each of us are covid-free prior to getting together with family members.

And these other articles explain how 3M - and McGovern Institute for Brain Research (MIT) in conjunction with Broad Institute (MIT & Harvard) - have been working hard to develop these paper strips. The FDA has authorised emergency use of the McGovern/Broad Institutes version already.
[Updated] Fast Paper Strip Covid-19 Test Devised with Crispr | Science and Enterprise
Those would be a god send. I would love to have them available. I just hope they are credible results.

I was following a preliminary hearing on Monday and Tuesday this week for THE high profile case right now at WS, and was shocked that those in the gallery were not wearing their masks at times, some not correctly wearing their masks most of the time (the ol' cover your mouth, but not the nose / nasopharyngeal where the virus has those ACE2 receptor cells and likes to hang out).

It's gonna be a long time before we have jury trials MOO. There is no way I would be sitting on a panel with such disregard, and the court not enforcing the rules, for perhaps a year from now.

Can't post this on the trial thread as would be ... just not right as to who I would be pointing out that was doing such iykwim. So, came here to vent.

MOO

Their cases are pretty low there. Also, they were really social distancing. I'm not aware of any rules the court needed to enforce. Which ones were they not enforcing? The judge really walked everyone through when to wear masks, when to glove up, made sure the witness area was wiped down, etc. Plexiglass partitions.

I'm sure it's hard to wear a mask at that level of tears and emotional upset. Jmo.

FABULOUS! Dr. Seheult explained these paper tests in great length about a month ago. The sensitivity is poor, but within 24 hours most folks get viral loads to get to positive. Therefore, do at home is fabulous with the RIGHT direction and understanding of how to use it. If folks could do daily and immediate.. having the low sensitivity is OK.

I'll do an ETA to see if I can refind his post on such within 60 minutes and update this post with his overview and explanation.

Again, this is the best news ever! A very poor test, but actually, the best for this phase of the pandemic!

*off to update this post and search for the video so others can view in case they missed the first time I posted it*

ETA:
"The current COVID-19 testing strategy in the United States is estimated by the CDC to pick up less than 10% of infections. Dr. Seheult of MedCram.com features snippets from a recent This Week in Virology (Episode 640) with Dr. Michael Mina of Harvard who explains that the technology exists for at home, inexpensive, self-administered, "paper" COVID-19 antigen tests that are likely accurate enough to pick up the vast majority of infectious cases of COVID-19. And how lower sensitivity of inexpensive tests may be ideal for a screening test that is performed with high frequency. Utilization of scalable paper COVID-19 tests may provide the optimal path forward to curtail the growth of COVID-19 and open schools and our economy in a much safer way. (This video was recorded July 20, 2020). "

This will be a live stream today at 3 pm 8/5/2020
"
We're excited to host Dr. Michael Mina from the Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health to answer questions about how cheap (approx. $1), at-home, COVID-19 tests (results in 15 minutes) could be utilized to dramatically slow the spread of this pandemic (and open up schools etc. in a faster and safer way). Dr. Mina's research has shown that the sensitivity of these simple saliva paper antigen tests (the technology already exists) is high enough to detect the vast majority of infectious COVID-19 and could be utilized frequently at home. We'll be reading your comments (from Update 98, and at MedCram.com) for COVID-19 testing questions to ask Dr. Mina. Please watch MedCram Update 98 for context on Dr. Mina's work: https://youtu.be/h7Sv_pS8MgQ Dr. Mina's New York Times article about a new COVID-19 testing paradigm: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/op... Dr. Mina's research paper (pre-print): https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.11... Michael Mina, MD, Ph.D.'s bio: https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/people/... Thanks for joining the event and please spread the word to friends and colleagues."

FABULOUS! Dr. Seheult explained these paper tests in great length about a month ago. The sensitivity is poor, but within 24 hours most folks get viral loads to get to positive. Therefore, do at home is fabulous with the RIGHT direction and understanding of how to use it. If folks could do daily and immediate.. having the low sensitivity is OK.

I'll do an ETA to see if I can refind his post on such within 60 minutes and update this post with his overview and explanation.

Again, this is the best news ever! A very poor test, but actually, the best for this phase of the pandemic!

*off to update this post and search for the video so others can view in case they missed the first time I posted it*

ETA:
"The current COVID-19 testing strategy in the United States is estimated by the CDC to pick up less than 10% of infections. Dr. Seheult of MedCram.com features snippets from a recent This Week in Virology (Episode 640) with Dr. Michael Mina of Harvard who explains that the technology exists for at home, inexpensive, self-administered, "paper" COVID-19 antigen tests that are likely accurate enough to pick up the vast majority of infectious cases of COVID-19. And how lower sensitivity of inexpensive tests may be ideal for a screening test that is performed with high frequency. Utilization of scalable paper COVID-19 tests may provide the optimal path forward to curtail the growth of COVID-19 and open schools and our economy in a much safer way. (This video was recorded July 20, 2020). "

This will be a live stream today at 3 pm 8/5/2020
"
We're excited to host Dr. Michael Mina from the Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health to answer questions about how cheap (approx. $1), at-home, COVID-19 tests (results in 15 minutes) could be utilized to dramatically slow the spread of this pandemic (and open up schools etc. in a faster and safer way). Dr. Mina's research has shown that the sensitivity of these simple saliva paper antigen tests (the technology already exists) is high enough to detect the vast majority of infectious COVID-19 and could be utilized frequently at home. We'll be reading your comments (from Update 98, and at MedCram.com) for COVID-19 testing questions to ask Dr. Mina. Please watch MedCram Update 98 for context on Dr. Mina's work: https://youtu.be/h7Sv_pS8MgQ Dr. Mina's New York Times article about a new COVID-19 testing paradigm: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/03/op... Dr. Mina's research paper (pre-print): https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.11... Michael Mina, MD, Ph.D.'s bio: https://ccdd.hsph.harvard.edu/people/... Thanks for joining the event and please spread the word to friends and colleagues."

I hope they post today's discussion with Dr Mina afterwards. I would like to see that, and it will be happening during the middle of our night here.

It is exciting to me because I think that, along with the covid sniffer dogs, these paper tests could open up safe travel.

thanks for posting this: this could be a game changer- haven't heard anything about this on any of the Cable channels and it is a very big deal.

Interesting, NYTs does not state what they based the $1-$5 cost per day on.

Neither of the other articles reference a retail cost of the product.

I think this is a great concept and one Dr. Birx spoke of often in the early stages of test development.

My concern, the low accuracy rate for false negative test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288