CANADA Canada - Marshal Iwaasa, 26, Lethbridge, Alberta, burned truck found in B.C., 17 Nov 2019

And a torched truck is bound to attract far more attention as opposed to a vacant vehicle parked at the head of a hiking trail. And the truck could’ve been burned in an attempt to make it difficult to trace the registration of the owner but then why was MI’s passport laying on the ground?

I certainly could be wrong but my mind is stuck on the scene suggests a different 2nd party came along later and scavenged the abandoned vehicle, strew its contents around looking for something worth stealing and then torched it for a lark, just because that’s what malicious vandals sometimes do. If so, they’re not likely to come forward incriminating themselves in a missing persons case by admitting their criminal deeds. However that doesn’t explain why Marshal’s truck was parked there in the first place. JMO

ETA - Aside from the hikers who found the truck on the 24th, it appears at least one other group was also there shortly after who disturbed the scene. So while the area is indeed remote, it can’t be quite as unknown or inaccessible as might appear.

Marshal Iwaasa investigation: What we know about the missing Calgary man
“Police say hikers discovered some of Iwaasa’s clothing in the forest in a trail leading away from his vehicle.

According to Lethbridge police, there is a “discrepancy” between photos taken by the hikers who located the scene and RCMP photos taken when officers arrived some time later.

“It is possible other backcountry users encountered the items prior to RCMP arrival,” police explained.

As such, police are asking anyone who may have happened across the scene and inadvertently disturbed the items to come forward....”

That's a good point. Do you think Marshal drove it out there or was it driven out there by someone else?

That's a good point. Do you think Marshal drove it out there or was it driven out there by someone else?

The Whistler area is as well known as the Rocky Mountains to any outdoor enthusiast living in Western Canada so I wouldn’t go so far as to say it was absolutely impossible for him to have driven there, if he had a reason to.

I think in seeking the answers it’s necessary to understand what was happening in MI’s life in the prior months leading up to his disappearance.

MI’s evasiveness and not disclosing the fact he’d dropped out of SAIT is an indication he was distancing himself from his mother and sister. There can be a dozen different reasons why that was but each one illustrates the fact he was intentionally withdrawing away from them. Sadly, when that happens it becomes impossible to know the unknown. All in all MI’s disappearance is a tragedy and my heart goes out to his family.

I haven't watched that video yet, but I wanted to bounce a potential new theory off of everyone. I've previously said that I thought someone else probably drove Marshal's truck up there, but MistyWaters' comments have made me think in a different direction.

First off, we know Marshall had recently gone back to school and even more recently dropped out. As someone who finished their degree in their late 20's and has friends who attended (and dropped out) of school later in life, I know it can have a huge mental toll. I know that I sometimes felt "too old" to be in school at 25-28 when 90% of my classmates were 18. I know friends who struggled to commit to classes in university or to a course of study and how it made them feel like they failed at life when they dropped out or changed majors. Marshal could have been feeling like he failed or was embarrassed about it. His family not knowing that he wasn't enrolled in classes supports this idea.

We know he liked hiking and the outdoors, so it makes sense that he might have wanted to "get away from it all" by being outdoors. He may have heard about Pemberton or the area from classmates or just from Google and thought that a remote place would suite his desire to clear his head in nature. It may have been a spur of the moment decision after visiting his mom. I think the visit could have aggravated his feelings about dropping out of university and that spurred his decision. He may not have realized how rough the terrain was and gotten stuck and couldn't drive any further. Without a working phone, he may have left his car to either get help or to see if he could turn around etc. Once out of his car, an accident or animal encounter is the most likely explanation and would also explain the lack of body found.

As Misty suggested, the torching does seem like something random vandals would do when they happened upon a random truck in the wilderness.

Now, my idea has some holes. I can't say what the storage locker tells us since I have no idea what he got from there. We see nothing about him having any camping gear. I also don't know why he'd drive for 14 hours for a hike when there are closer locations like Kananaskis or even around Banff. Unless, his idea was to drive as long and as far as he could until he found somewhere remote enough to suite his mental state?

I always wonder about animal attack and activity. How far will an animal actually drag a body away to eat? Don't they usually just eat it where it is and then later drag off parts for later? Meaning, wouldnt there be clothing nearby indicating it was an animal attack? JMO

I always wonder about animal attack and activity. How far will an animal actually drag a body away to eat? Don't they usually just eat it where it is and then later drag off parts for later? Meaning, wouldnt there be clothing nearby indicating it was an animal attack? JMO

Yes I’m sure there’d be evidence of animal attack but the problem is in a wilderness area it’s literally impossible to thoroughly and totally search miles of forest and rough terrain on foot. Helicopters or drones are only helpful if there’s anything to be spotted in an open area.

I haven't watched that video yet, but I wanted to bounce a potential new theory off of everyone. I've previously said that I thought someone else probably drove Marshal's truck up there, but MistyWaters' comments have made me think in a different direction.

First off, we know Marshall had recently gone back to school and even more recently dropped out. As someone who finished their degree in their late 20's and has friends who attended (and dropped out) of school later in life, I know it can have a huge mental toll. I know that I sometimes felt "too old" to be in school at 25-28 when 90% of my classmates were 18. I know friends who struggled to commit to classes in university or to a course of study and how it made them feel like they failed at life when they dropped out or changed majors. Marshal could have been feeling like he failed or was embarrassed about it. His family not knowing that he wasn't enrolled in classes supports this idea.

We know he liked hiking and the outdoors, so it makes sense that he might have wanted to "get away from it all" by being outdoors. He may have heard about Pemberton or the area from classmates or just from Google and thought that a remote place would suite his desire to clear his head in nature. It may have been a spur of the moment decision after visiting his mom. I think the visit could have aggravated his feelings about dropping out of university and that spurred his decision. He may not have realized how rough the terrain was and gotten stuck and couldn't drive any further. Without a working phone, he may have left his car to either get help or to see if he could turn around etc. Once out of his car, an accident or animal encounter is the most likely explanation and would also explain the lack of body found.

As Misty suggested, the torching does seem like something random vandals would do when they happened upon a random truck in the wilderness.

Now, my idea has some holes. I can't say what the storage locker tells us since I have no idea what he got from there. We see nothing about him having any camping gear. I also don't know why he'd drive for 14 hours for a hike when there are closer locations like Kananaskis or even around Banff. Unless, his idea was to drive as long and as far as he could until he found somewhere remote enough to suite his mental state?

Brian Waddington Hut - VOC Wiki
According to the link about the Brian Waddington Hut, it appears it’s only 10km (appx 6 miles) to the trailhead. It’s also equipped with cooking supplies so camping equipment wouldn’t be required.

I wonder if the trail was searched all the way to this Hut or just in the immediate area around the truck? Was there cell service in that general location if MI had became lost or disorientated while hiking to check out the hut? What if he decided to stay a night and came back only to find his truck scavenged and burned and then became lost and disorientated in walking his way out to seek help?

Another thought about the contents of MI’s truck which were found strewn around and about - his clothes, old cellphones and laptop, passports etc - if somebody abducted him and/or stole his vehicle in Alberta, I’m certain sought after robbery items such valuables, drugs or alcohol would be searched for at the very first opportunity, as opposed to the culprit driving the vehicle for several hours ending up on a dead-end rugged mountain road, then searching through the contents almost as an after-thought. That’s just doesn’t make sense to delay looking for “the goods” given there’s no lack of forestry/logging/side roads and rest stops along the way.

A 2nd person with a vehicle would’ve also been required to drive up that same road pick up the driver of MI’s truck, if he didn’t drive it there himself. If the road was in that bad of shape last November, it seems unlikely to me criminals would risk choosing a location to torch a truck using a road that might’ve proven impassable to both vehicles assuming they knew the area. Rather than only considering the state of the road this year as proof MI wouldn’t have driven his truck there, I also wonder what was the road like last fall according to the hikers who discovered the truck? Last winter was an extremely heavy snowfall, then a late spring, COVID put a hold on road work and travel so how it is now may not be at all indicative of then.

MI’s sister mentioned banking records did not indicate MI purchased gas to BC and he’d probably had to fill up at least 3 times. Prior to that had he regularly used his debit card to purchase gas? If so, that would arouse suspicion. But not if he always paid for things by cash in the past.

I do hope the family finds answers. I sort of get the impression they hope LE will reclassify the missing persons case into a homicide investigation because maybe it was. But unfortunately LE is not going to undertake a homicide investigation into MI’s disappearance without any evidence that a homicide occurred - however unlikely it may be, at this point in time there’s no proof he’s deceased.

I don't know. They might not have to take it very far for the body to not be found. Other scavengers could further distribute body parts or tear up clothing, etc. If other hikers disturbed the crime scene, they could potentially remove evidence of an animal attack. Or a few heavy rains could do that too,

Unfortunately for MI’s family, an online petition demanding LE reclassify a missing persons investigation has virtually no chance of success. I’ve never heard of even one investigation in Canada influenced solely through public pressure. In the normal course of events, that’s probably a good thing as it reminds me somewhat of the US and how politics, public opinion and criminal prosecutions are sometimes interrelated.

Regardless, that the investigating by LE is open and ongoing is positive news IMO.

Family wants Calgary man's 2019 disappearance deemed criminal | Calgary Herald
In a statement, the Lethbridge Police Service said it can assure its investigation “will remain open and ongoing until he is located.”

“A thorough and comprehensive investigation has been undertaken and any and all new evidence or information that comes to light in future will continue to be vigorously pursued,” Lethbridge police stated.

From the onset of the missing person investigation Iwaasa’s disappearance has been considered suspicious, however, as previously stated, there is no credible, corroborated or compelling evidence to suggest foul play or that the matter is criminal in nature.”

Police added they have not shared all information and evidence connected to the case publicly, nor with Iwaasa’s family, “in order to protect the integrity of the ongoing investigation.”

“LPS is aware of an online petition initiated by the Iwaasa family to have the missing person case re-classified as criminal, however in order for any investigation to be deemed criminal there must be evidence to support that a crime has occurred,” it said.

“With respect to the Iwaasa investigation, there is no such evidence and the matter cannot be re-classified at this time.”....”

Aug 29 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/marshal-iwaasa-disappearance-1.5694192

''After nine months of investigations, searches, public appeals and sleepless night, the family of missing Alberta man Marshal Iwaasa say they are no closer to knowing why, or how, the 26-year-old disappeared without a trace.

Iwaasa's burned-out truck was found on a remote forest service road near D'arcy, B.C., about 150 kilometres north of Vancouver, on Nov. 23, 2019.

Security video later confirmed his last known sighting to be one week earlier at a storage locker he shared with his sister in their hometown of Lethbridge. ''

"And at the end of the day if he had driven his truck up there to commit suicide — this is something we've openly talked about — his body would have been found in that final search."

''Tomorrow: Missing men mystery: Family wonders if Marshal Iwaasa's disappearance is somehow connected to other men who have vanished in the B.C. Interior.''

Aug 30 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...or-but-no-links-in-cases-police-say-1.5702425
''6 men missing in same region of B.C.'s southern Interior, but no links in cases, police say
Mysterious disappearances over the last 3 years range from Pemberton area, east to Kamloops
Karin Larsen Aug 30, 2020''
Part two of a two-part series. Read part one here.

''Paige Fogen says she can't help but wonder if the unexplained disappearance of her brother is somehow connected to the cases of other men who have gone missing in B.C.'s southern Interior.

''In the two years before Iwaasa disappeared, at least five other cases of men going missing were linked to the same region of southwestern B.C. Some of those cases share details similar to Iwaasa's.

Two of the missing men were eventually found dead. None of the cases have been solved''.

"But no, I haven't heard anything from the police about if there's any commonality between the cases. But I feel that there is — that's just my gut."

Missing men cases in B.C.'s southern Interior
  • ''Marshal Iwaasa, 26 last seen Nov. 17, 2019''
    • ''Ryan Provencher, 38, and Ben Scurr, 37 last seen July 17, 2019, found dead one month later ''
    • ''Ben Tyner, 32 last seen Jan. 26, 2019''
    • 'Ryan Schtuka, 20 last seen Feb, 18, 2018''
    • ''Luke Neville, 48 last seen Oct. 9, 2017 ''
    "The only thing noted to be in common is that the missing persons or victims are male, and their geographic location."

Aug 30 2020
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...or-but-no-links-in-cases-police-say-1.5702425
''6 men missing in same region of B.C.'s southern Interior, but no links in cases, police say
Mysterious disappearances over the last 3 years range from Pemberton area, east to Kamloops
Karin Larsen Aug 30, 2020''
Part two of a two-part series. Read part one here.

''Paige Fogen says she can't help but wonder if the unexplained disappearance of her brother is somehow connected to the cases of other men who have gone missing in B.C.'s southern Interior.

''In the two years before Iwaasa disappeared, at least five other cases of men going missing were linked to the same region of southwestern B.C. Some of those cases share details similar to Iwaasa's.

Two of the missing men were eventually found dead. None of the cases have been solved''.

"But no, I haven't heard anything from the police about if there's any commonality between the cases. But I feel that there is — that's just my gut."

Missing men cases in B.C.'s southern Interior
  • ''Marshal Iwaasa, 26 last seen Nov. 17, 2019''
    • ''Ryan Provencher, 38, and Ben Scurr, 37 last seen July 17, 2019, found dead one month later ''
    • ''Ben Tyner, 32 last seen Jan. 26, 2019''
    • 'Ryan Schtuka, 20 last seen Feb, 18, 2018''
    • ''Luke Neville, 48 last seen Oct. 9, 2017 ''
    "The only thing noted to be in common is that the missing persons or victims are male, and their geographic location."
I guess it's nice to bring awareness to these cases, but the idea that the individuals or circumstances have anything in common doesn't fly with me.

I think what they share in common is to have disappeared in a vast wilderness with major highways travelling through (except Ryan Schtuka, the ski resort is very off the beaten track).

It's perhaps interesting to contemplate the ways the cases are different.

In the Provencher/Scurr case, the vehicle was not damaged in any way. It was evidently driven by the perps and left there, in order to distract police from where they should look for the crime scene. The murdered men were older and known to have been involved with drug smuggling in the past (thereby being a threat to someone), and police knew early on who they went to visit and why, and suspected foul play because of that. Their bodies evidently revealed they were murdered.

Ben Tyner is known to have been in a particular place and time just before disappearing. His vehicle was left intact, and it appears as though an elaborate cover story was rigged to try to make it appear that he had an accident, but IMO police aren't buying it. So this case also shows signs of a pre-determined murder plot, though there's no indication or suggestion Tyner was ever involved with drugs, on the contrary would probably have reported it. He was older and mature enough to be a threat to someone.

Ryan Schutka was also known to be in a particular place and time, a short walk to his home, when he disappeared very late on a cold night. He seems to have been amongst other very young people his own age, who, in ski resorts, are often into partying and consuming recreational drugs. I can't see him as a threat to anyone. So whatever happened was, IMO, misadventure, rather than a plot by experienced/knowledgable killer(s).

So little is known about Luke Neville, one cannot speculate. His situation is somewhat similar to Marshal's, in that his truck was found burnt out. This rules out a simple accident.

I don't know much about burning trucks, but if we consider the case of the young BC killers from summer 2019, burning one's vehicle is something the driver seems to do, to cover their own tracks and, perhaps symbolically, burn one's own bridges back to normal life.

Consider, if you have hurt or killed someone and hidden their body. How long and far would you want to drive that person's vehicle? Firstly, you need to have another car and driver follow you, unless you plan to steal another vehicle. So you keep to places where you can call on those backups. Secondly, you don't want to get stopped by police, so you don't attract attention to yourself. If the vehicle is old, you might be concerned if it broke down, or had something minor wrong with it, that police will stop you for. So equally, you probably wouldn't want to attract attention by setting fire to the vehicle, unless you'd stolen another car, or were on a suicide mission.

IMO, Marshal drove his own truck and burnt it so he'd have no way to get back to his life, if he changed his mind. Then he started walking, and disappeared far off the trails.

The one thing this area of Pemberton has, that the Rockies don't have, is that you really can disappear into the mountains and never be found.

ETA: MOO

Last edited:
I guess it's nice to bring awareness to these cases, but the idea that the individuals or circumstances have anything in common doesn't fly with me.

I think what they share in common is to have disappeared in a vast wilderness with major highways travelling through (except Ryan Schtuka, the ski resort is very off the beaten track).

It's perhaps interesting to contemplate the ways the cases are different.

In the Provencher/Scurr case, the vehicle was not damaged in any way. It was evidently driven by the perps and left there, in order to distract police from where they should look for the crime scene. The murdered men were older and known to have been involved with drug smuggling in the past (thereby being a threat to someone), and police knew early on who they went to visit and why, and suspected foul play because of that. Their bodies evidently revealed they were murdered.

Ben Tyner is known to have been in a particular place and time just before disappearing. His vehicle was left intact, and it appears as though an elaborate cover story was rigged to try to make it appear that he had an accident, but IMO police aren't buying it. So this case also shows signs of a pre-determined murder plot, though there's no indication or suggestion Tyner was ever involved with drugs, on the contrary would probably have reported it. He was older and mature enough to be a threat to someone.

Ryan Schutka was also known to be in a particular place and time, a short walk to his home, when he disappeared very late on a cold night. He seems to have been amongst other very young people his own age, who, in ski resorts, are often into partying and consuming recreational drugs. I can't see him as a threat to anyone. So whatever happened was, IMO, misadventure, rather than a plot by experienced/knowledgable killer(s).

So little is known about Luke Neville, one cannot speculate. His situation is somewhat similar to Marshal's, in that his truck was found burnt out. This rules out a simple accident.

I don't know much about burning trucks, but if we consider the case of the young BC killers from summer 2019, burning one's vehicle is something the driver seems to do, to cover their own tracks and, perhaps symbolically, burn one's own bridges back to normal life.

Consider, if you have hurt or killed someone and hidden their body. How long and far would you want to drive that person's vehicle? Firstly, you need to have another car and driver follow you, unless you plan to steal another vehicle. So you keep to places where you can call on those backups. Secondly, you don't want to get stopped by police, so you don't attract attention to yourself. If the vehicle is old, you might be concerned if it broke down, or had something minor wrong with it, that police will stop you for. So equally, you probably wouldn't want to attract attention by setting fire to the vehicle, unless you'd stolen another car, or were on a suicide mission.

IMO, Marshal drove his own truck and burnt it so he'd have no way to get back to his life, if he changed his mind. Then he started walking, and disappeared far off the trails.

The one thing this area of Pemberton has, that the Rockies don't have, is that you really can disappear into the mountains and never be found.
Ita.

IMO they do not waste energy dragging prey far. They might pull it under a tree where it won't be so obvious, or partially bury it, but it will be close to where caught. They usually guard it, since they don't need to hunt as long as they have food. My source is living in a national park where these things are reported in the news.

MI’s sister mentioned banking records did not indicate MI purchased gas to BC and he’d probably had to fill up at least 3 times. Prior to that had he regularly used his debit card to purchase gas? If so, that would arouse suspicion. But not if he always paid for things by cash in the past.

Interesting observation. Though who would pay for high cost fill-ups in cash? It's one thing if you just need $10 worth to get around locally until payday. But why withdraw hundreds in cash from your bank account, only in order to pay it out at gas stations that accept debit. Young people pay for everything by debit card, in my observation, it's only us oldies who even carry wallets/change.

The only reasons I can think of that someone would routinely pay for fillups in cash is: a) they earn a lot of cash on the side and don't want to deposit it in the bank, just spend it directly or b) they know police will try to trace them using their bank records and don't want their movements known.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back