Resolved NV - Las Vegas, WhtMale 25-40, UP417, letter written in German, scar, birthmark, Sep'06 - namus removed

I noticed John Nellans who went missing from San Diego after stealing and forged several of his father's bank checks in 1986. He looks a lot like this UID and they are the same height (72 inches). The circumstances (i.e. the letter in German) don't really match up, though.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8773/62

John Nellans was found dead in 2000 but not id'd until 2016 https://timesofsandiego.com/life/20...-31-years-later-hope-for-families-of-missing/

Going down a rabbit hole, but after talking to a friend in Germany about names, spelling (it varies by region), I checked the Czech Republic's database, and this guy hits age, height, eye color, and hairline. I'm not sure when his picture was taken on this site, but it's close. And I have been not able to find anything on this guys (HEIDRICH JAN) missing case. Pátrání po osobách - Policie České republiky

I can see some resemblance, but the deceased man has a very large space between his lower nose/nostrils and upper lip. It reminds me of Homer Simpson (an exaggerated drawing of a person with a similar facial characteristic).

Going down a rabbit hole, but after talking to a friend in Germany about names, spelling (it varies by region), I checked the Czech Republic's database, and this guy hits age, height, eye color, and hairline. I'm not sure when his picture was taken on this site, but it's close. And I have been not able to find anything on this guys (HEIDRICH JAN) missing case. Pátrání po osobách - Policie České republiky

Bringing these over from page 1...

Ok here are the new details:
-The ID was stolen in 2004 or 2005 and was used for several jobs. The owner of the ID is still alive
-One of his former employers has said he had a strong german accent
-The decendent had a computer with him which contained a letter to a sister "Birgit" with no last names or addresses. Interesting to note that the name mentioned at the above link says "BRIGIT" and not "Birgit" which is what the detective says it is.
-He also mentioned a childhood friend named "Dirk Matthlas" and detectives were able to find a Dirk Matthlas in the states who did not recognize the man.

After reading, I want to make a correction, about Belgium. In Belgium, they do speak Dutch and French, not German.

Anyway, maybe this case could be brought to All Mystery-a German crime forum, wich has a lot of dedicated posters there. Some of the members of AM are also to be found on WS.

So, he is NOT wanted or missing in Australia, Austria, Czechia, Europol, or Germany (from what I can tell Germany has an awful directory of missing people). I went to Brazil's gov page, and from what I understand... They have over 70k missing people a year ( I think). I was trying to stay within German speaking countries. Also did generic Czechian translated searches on twitter and facebook for missing people. I keep forgetting the EU has different data laws than we do. Fyi, Austria seems to only have 5 missing people in the whole country. I'm at a loss, Clark County needs to release that letter.

So, he is NOT wanted or missing in Australia, Austria, Czechia, Europol, or Germany (from what I can tell Germany has an awful directory of missing people). I went to Brazil's gov page, and from what I understand... They have over 70k missing people a year ( I think). I was trying to stay within German speaking countries. Also did generic Czechian translated searches on twitter and facebook for missing people. I keep forgetting the EU has different data laws than we do. Fyi, Austria seems to only have 5 missing people in the whole country. I'm at a loss, Clark County needs to release that letter.
Thank you for taking the time to do all that! I wish they would release the letter, it seems like an important clue.

BBM. I agree with this entirely. Looking at the letter could be very helpful. This sounds a bit far fetched, but some folks with mental health or a desire to disappear issues might "adopt" a new language as well. Part of the new identity. And in the USA, most folks won't know the difference of a bad or genuine German accent. Linguistically, Afrikaans, Dutch, English, the Frisian languages, Low German (Low Saxon), Luxembourgish, Scots, and Yiddish can also "seem like" German. Sentence level, phrase level wording, pronouns, etc. might be helpful view.

BBM. I agree with this entirely. Looking at the letter could be very helpful. This sounds a bit far fetched, but some folks with mental health or a desire to disappear issues might "adopt" a new language as well. Part of the new identity. And in the USA, most folks won't know the difference of a bad or genuine German accent. Linguistically, Afrikaans, Dutch, English, the Frisian languages, Low German (Low Saxon), Luxembourgish, Scots, and Yiddish can also "seem like" German. Sentence level, phrase level wording, pronouns, etc. might be helpful view.
That’s what I was going to mention here!! Thank you for bringing it up because I’d already forgotten.

Like I said before, I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to most things European...including languages. I’m not sure that I could tell the difference between most languages if I heard them. So when I was searching through Doe Network, it made me think of something. If he was reported by witnesses (or even one, I think maybe his boss?) as having a thick German accent, are they sure it was German? Because I’d have no clue! Does Russian sound different than German or Dutch? I haven’t the slightest clue.

ETA: If this person was sure of the language, that might lend a clue to the type of work he was doing? Maybe.

Maybe I’m just uncultured, so maybe other Americans can chime in. :p

Refreshing the thread...

This seems solvable. Possibly.
Hope so, I noticed that, - not all German people, who went missing, are listed in an online data base, by BKR or Interpol.

Even if, the German letter is public published, I doubt that,it will lead to being ID-ed. LE has more knowledge, clues and tools, and he is still a Doe.
Imo.

This might sound crazy, but hear me out. What if this guy came from an American Amish community? Pale skin, stolen identity, accent. There does not seem to be a missing persons database for the Amish ( that I can find ), let alone have pictures to match that person.

This might sound crazy, but hear me out. What if this guy came from an American Amish community? Pale skin, stolen identity, accent. There does not seem to be a missing persons database for the Amish ( that I can find ), let alone have pictures to match that person.
Wow...great theory..never thought of that.

im sure there's a more accurate term, but the Amish in America generally isolate themselves away from the surrounding community. They handle most things internally and rarely reach out to LE. There wouldn't be a traditional missing persons database for the Amish.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back