Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why many members are having an issue with the reward offered for Suzanne's "safe return". IMO it is an attempt to keep a potential abductor from harming the victim.

There are many cases where families have offered rewards for the safe return of their loved ones. To name just a few of many:

Sarah Townsend

Julia Madsen
Mekayla Bail
Jamie Tull
Irene Campbell
Very reasonable question.

I can only write regarding my opinion. Making such conditions would appeal to an abductor only. A ransom situation Or kidnapping situation where SM had not yet been harmed. The plausibility of that specific scenario is less than 2%. Now, couple that with her age and it drops even farther. Then take into consideration you are making the plea with a FB plea and local posters. Are you really asking for help? How many potential abductors would see or know about it?

I think the Context is important. BM has behaviors make the subject above even more alarming. Was BM hoping the lion had FB? I’m being facetious it certainly paints the wrong picture.

Last edited:
I don't understand why many members are having an issue with the reward offered for Suzanne's "safe return". IMO it is an attempt to keep a potential abductor from harming the victim.

There are many cases where families have offered rewards for the safe return of their loved ones. To name just a few of many:

Sarah Townsend

Julia Madsen
Mekayla Bail
Jamie Tull
Irene Campbell
I don't have as much issue with the wording of the reward, as I do with how it has been treated since its announcement, which is just nothing. If I wasn't comfortable sharing it, I would, at the very least, do what it took to allow LE to offer it. If you announce a reward, but don't consistently advertise it, what good is it really?

For me, it comes down to this.

You put up a large reward for Suzanne’s safe return. The purpose of a reward is to draw someone forward who can point law enforcement to where Suzanne is being held.

Don’t you then endlessly publicize this reward, and make continuous appeals to the public?

If you don’t, doesn’t that signal that you believe something else has occurred, and there’s no hope of her safe recovery?

If that’s the case, wouldn’t you then consider changing the terms, and perhaps use some of that money to reward someone who provides a tip that leads to the apprehension of Suzanne’s killer?

As I see it, other than the size of the reward and how soon it was offered, I don’t think it’s that unusual.

It’s everything since then that I can’t find precedent for:

A huge reward, a short video, then radio silence.

Not sure how social media savvy BM is but MSM picked up on the reward offer and there are over 30,000 google hits about it, so probably more coverage than if he just re-posted it on his own personal social media.

If abductors existed, surely they would have seen the reward both on his FB and all over the internet. IF BM genuinely believed there was an abduction and he believed that money would bring her home, what more could he offer other than what he already had which was a significant amount of money that was basically advertised in MSM?

Sarah Townsend

Julia Madsen
Mekayla Bail
Jamie Tull
Irene Campbell

The rewards cited in these cases are nominal amounts and several were funds raised by their communities selling books, cakes, etc. I recall Molly's reward was similar -- all raised by the community or private donors where the family actually made a contract with Crimestoppers in advance for what to do with the proceeds if Molly was deceased.

In this case, the generous reward for the safe return of SM is by her husband, and it was announced before the husband was ever publicly identified. Before he made a plea for his wife's safe return (to her captor). It felt insincere to me then, and it still does because I don't believe SM is alive, and BM knows she's not alive.

MOO

Last edited:
Not sure how social media savvy BM is but MSM picked up on the reward offer and there are over 30,000 google hits about it, so probably more coverage than if he just re-posted it on his own personal social media.

If abductors existed, surely they would have seen the reward both on his FB and all over the internet. IF BM genuinely believed there was an abduction and he believed that money would bring her home, what more could he offer other than what he already had which was a significant amount of money that was basically advertised in MSM?
30K hits on an article is so small compared to 5.5 million residents who live in CO alone. Especially because of the size of the reward, this could have gone viral in less than an hour if handled differently.

In an abduction scenario, this needed to reach way more than the abductors, but anyone who could have potentially seen her. Her location and well-being would be the key factor, imho.

I just found the reward offer phony from the get go. BM offers the reward for her "safe return", no questions asked. To me, that implies she's been kidnapped and is being held for ransom and he knows this. Very specific. Yet he doesn't use a regular MSM platform to broadcast this. Of course it's going to be picked up in MSM, but he can't be sure of that. So, does that mean he knows whoever kidnapped her is on his FB friends list? Also, if he does intend to offer a reward, why wouldn't he discuss this with LE and offer it through Crime Stoppers? Or was his relationship with LE already at the point of not being amicable enough to do this? Why is it so specific, why not leave it open to any tips that lead to Suzanne's location?

I don't think it's unusual to offer the reward, I just find the method really strange. Can anyone think of other examples that the family offered an reward independent of the police right from the beginning?

Of course, then TD comes along and BM offers other theories of what happened, so, that also taints the reward offer for me.

I think BM offering the reward was his attempt to look like a caring husband. Much like Scott Peterson showing his face at the vigils and searches for Laci. During one, he was on the mobile with his mistress.

All MOO, JMO, etc

I did not interpret LS comment that way.

I believe she's questioning why BM's reward was conditional to begin with (a ransom only for her safe return), and why he's not revised the reward to what's typical for a missing person i.e., a reward for information leading to the recovery of SM -- dead or alive, and the arrest & conviction of the person(s) responsible.

I believe the reason CCSO excluded the private reward from their posters is twofold:

First, I don't know that BM initially shared his idea for a "no questions asked reward" for SM's safe return with LE. (We know BM elected to skip the opportunity to announce the reward at the Sheriff's presser, and announced it via nephew TN the following day).

If BM did tell CCSO about his reward, I believe LE would have discouraged this "ransom like" reward because it's ineffective for generating information on a missing person because it's limited or conditional on SM's safe return only. This type of reward will not generate tips. It's a ransom payment only for the abductor!

Second, it's the policy of CCSO to partner with Chaffee County Crimestoppers as the administrator for a reward. Crimestoppers is recognized for and respected as a legal entity that protects the identity of tipsters, and nobody fears getting paid. Citizens also know the money is in place -- as does CCSO.

More important, BM's conditional reward could have legal implications for CCSO and they are correct not to do anything giving the appearance that they endorse it.

MOO
Thanks for that info Seattle1, indebted, I get it now, makes sense.
PS: I think Lauren Scharf is phenomenal ..... I've never come across a reporter like her, an absolute credit to her profession :)

a couple of youtube videos were made a few hours ago pertaining to SM, all with valuable info.

1. our own, websleuths, with the lovely tricia, interviewing chris and mike from PE:

2. TD and DD interviewing chris and mike from PE: (assuming i can link bc it's PE).

*mike explains that LE can NOT come to a family and say "by the way, do not talk to a LE bc we told you so." that would be removing their first amendment right of free speech. that is very likely a rumor.

Last edited:
I just found the reward offer phony from the get go. BM offers the reward for her "safe return", no questions asked. To me, that implies she's been kidnapped and is being held for ransom and he knows this. Very specific. Yet he doesn't use a regular MSM platform to broadcast this. Of course it's going to be picked up in MSM, but he can't be sure of that. So, does that mean he knows whoever kidnapped her is on his FB friends list? Also, if he does intend to offer a reward, why wouldn't he discuss this with LE and offer it through Crime Stoppers? Or was his relationship with LE already at the point of not being amicable enough to do this? Why is it so specific, why not leave it open to any tips that lead to Suzanne's location?

I don't think it's unusual to offer the reward, I just find the method really strange. Can anyone think of other examples that the family offered an reward independent of the police right from the beginning?

Of course, then TD comes along and BM offers other theories of what happened, so, that also taints the reward offer for me.

I think BM offering the reward was his attempt to look like a caring husband. Much like Scott Peterson showing his face at the vigils and searches for Laci. During one, he was on the mobile with his mistress.

All MOO, JMO, etc

Agree.

There's no evidence that BM is an abusive husband and I'm not alleging he was.

Nonetheless, the first thing I thought of when the over-the-top reward was announced was the made for TV movie where the guy beats the woman, and then showers her with expensive gifts, apologies, and promises to get help with his anger.

It was like BM was trying to buy himself a public personality.

It didn't work.

MOO

30K hits on an article is so small compared to 5.5 million residents who live in CO alone. Especially because of the size of the reward, this could have gone viral in less than an hour if handled differently.

In an abduction scenario, this needed to reach way more than the abductors, but anyone who could have potentially seen her. Her location and well-being would be the key factor, imho.

But WSers are coming from a crime solving, think-tank perspective. Dollars to donuts BM (football player, landscaper, volunteer firefighter) never had a loved one go missing before, and never laid eyes on a crime sleuthing forum in his life.

So what does the Average Joe do when his wife goes missing, if he feels helpless and wants to do something, anything to feel he has some power or control in a distressing situation? If TN helped put the reward video together, he probably doesn't know anything about how these things work either. So where does an ordinary guy find a manual on how to deal with this situation? LE would likely not sanction a reward due to crackpots coming out of the woodwork, and would likely discourage a reward so soon, but BM feels he has to do whatever is in his power to try to bring her home.

Thanks for that info Seattle1, indebted, I get it now, makes sense.
PS: I think Lauren Scharf is phenomenal ..... I've never come across a reporter like her, an absolute credit to her profession :)

LS is doing a great job for this case, and it's not easy for local, national networks to cover news in small towns that are a couple of hours away from home base, and towns with minimal resources.

Relative to the reward, I really respect how much she wants justice for SM.

In her example of BM stating that "he'll do anything to get SM back" she's dumbfounded that he's done the exact opposite!

MOO

Agree.

There's no evidence that BM is an abusive husband and I'm not alleging he was.

Nonetheless, the first thing I thought of when the over-the-top reward was announced was the made for TV movie where the guy beats the woman, and then showers her with expensive gifts, apologies, and promises to get help with his anger.

It was like BM was trying to buy himself a public personality.

It didn't work.

MOO

i agree. i also speculate his friends and family are scared of him, or at the least, his anger, and that's why they are so quiet. he controls the narrative, and you don't step out of line or risk awaking the beast. they HAVE to be questioning him amongst themselves. there is just too much that points to his guilt for them not to be searching for answers. i'm sure they read social media, and, in fact, they are probably searching for info the way we do at websleuths, because they have personal relationships with him and suzanne. wouldn't you be invested in as much info as possible if either of them were your good friends? MOO.

Last edited:
The plausibility of that specific scenario is less than 2%. Now, couple that with her age and it drops even farther.
<rsbm>

Not sure what the >2% is based on, but while fact finders can look at stats and think it is not probable, we know that >2% makes it possible.

What other scenario could go through the mind of a man whose wife was not found in their home, was not found as a result of a bike accident, has not been found murdered, and LE informed him they didn't think his wife was a victim of a mountain lion?

Considering that he may be innocent, I'm trying to think like a person who sincerely didn't know what happened. What other possibilities might exist in his mind?

But WSers are coming from a crime solving, think-tank perspective. Dollars to donuts BM (football player, landscaper, volunteer firefighter) never had a loved one go missing before, and never laid eyes on a crime sleuthing forum in his life.

So what does the Average Joe do when his wife goes missing, if he feels helpless and wants to do something, anything to feel he has some power or control in a distressing situation? If TN helped put the reward video together, he probably doesn't know anything about how these things work either. So where does an ordinary guy find a manual on how to deal with this situation? LE would likely not sanction a reward due to crackpots coming out of the woodwork, and would likely discourage a reward so soon, but BM feels he has to do whatever is in his power to try to bring her home.
Rbbm - To be honest, I have not seen this from BM. I hope I find out later that I am wrong, and that BM was doing way more behind the scenes to find his wife than what we currently see.

i agree. i also speculate his friends and family are scared of him, or at the least, his anger, and that's why they are so quiet. he controls the narrative, and you don't step out of line or risk awaking the beast. they HAVE to be questioning him amongst themselves. there is just too much that points to his guilt for them not to be searching for answers. i'm sure they read social media, and in fact they probably search for info the way we do at websleuths, because they have personal relationships with him and suzanne. wouldn't you be invested in as much info as possible if either of them were your good friends? MOO.

SM radiates the calm before, and after, a Barry storm.

I could not see BM partnering with LE (Sheriff especially) from the beginning because it's very much his personality to separate himself to remain the alpha.

I also think it's telling when your brother's in-laws and father in law-- of 27 years make not even the slightest hint of support. We know at least one brother traveled to Colorado and I think the only thing WS approved was along the lines of 'it does not look good.'

MOO

If I was an average Joe Schmoe and I didn’t know how best to offer and publicise a reward for my missing loved one, I would do what I perceive as the obvious thing and ask my local LE agency or crime victims advocate, if available. I would then act on their advice.

So BM asked Suzanne if it was okay to be gone on Mother’s Day and she said sure. I assume LE asked-when did you have that discussion? He may have said, Sunday morning, and perhaps daughters told LE they could not get in touch at all on Sunday. Maybe he said they discussed on Thursday, or Friday, or Saturday. Maybe he said that she was asleep in bed when he left Sunday, but she usually goes for a bike ride in the morning. Maybe he said he slept elsewhere Saturday, for whatever reason, and distanced himself further. I do wonder if BM’s responses to those questions were very off.

<rsbm>

Not sure what the >2% is based on, but while fact finders can look at stats and think it is not probable, we know that >2% makes it possible.

What other scenario could go through the mind of a man whose wife was not found in their home, was not found as a result of a bike accident, has not been found murdered, and LE informed him they didn't think his wife was a victim of a mountain lion?

Considering that he may be innocent, I'm trying to think like a person who sincerely didn't know what happened. What other possibilities might exist in his mind?

I would think initially one big possibility that would pop into a spouse's head in such a situation is that their wife/husband has left them.

If I was an average Joe Schmoe and I didn’t know how best to offer and publicise a reward for my missing loved one, I would do what I perceive as the obvious thing and ask my local LE agency or crime victims advocate, if available. I would then act on their advice.
Right. And if you did so, I am pretty sure that LE would suggest that you do a press conference alongside them, and ask for the public's help, and announce your reward offer.

In doing so, you would reach millions of viewers on various tv networks, local and national, and be in many newspapers and online news sites.

It would be way more effective than a Facebook video by oneself, in my opinion.

Here’s a Crime Online article with the transcribed YouTube interview between Barry and Tyson. I’ve attached screenshots of the relevant portion.

YouTuber who ‘secretly’ recorded video of Barry Morphew discussing wife’s disappearance says he believes Suzanne Morphew’s husband knew the camera was on

View attachment 258525 View attachment 258526

Aside from the many question marks or inconsistencies that exist in this case, the most glaring from a human nature perspective is:

-What husband leaves their wife on Mothers Day to go work out of town? Especially a wife/mother that just beat cancer for the second time.
-And then when your daughters and neighbor contact you to say that your wife seems to me missing and the husband shares their concern, asks the freaking neighbor to call the police???!!!

I’ll give BM a pass on the alleged working on Sunday but no way on this earth does any husband not call the police themself after hearing from his daughters and his neighbors that his wife can’t be located. UNLESS, he does not want the recording of the 911 call because that has incriminated many other murders before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff