TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way she stood over her was a woman’s stance to me. She’s a tall(er), what we would call “thick”, or “big boned”, not heavy set woman, IMO.

I like your impression of "big boned", but not "heavy set". I would possibly add 'athletic" to the description as well.

The murder appears to be light on her feet when both approaching the victim, horribly standing over her, and running away.

When running, she (at least an apparent 'she'), does not seem to assume the instinctual and less efficient feminine running stride of hands down by the hips and crossing over the hips with a shorter stride. Rather, she seems to take the faster and more efficient "male" running stride.

The apparent athleticism can be natural, but the possible "male" running stride could well have been taught. One of the first things coaches do with young girls is to instruct them to run like boys and break their natural feminine stride / arm motion habit.

This could suggest that the murderer played sports as a youth and / or in high school. If so, perhaps she continued to participate in an adult recreational league? Though I do not want to read to much into it, softball has a certain number of big boned, but athletic females who would not be described as "heavy set".

So I could possibly see someone looking through the garage sale ads for a specific day and showing up when they think no one is around to rob the owner at gunpoint. I mean, it's not out of the realm of possibility, and I wonder if that has happened before. HOWEVER, it would make WAY more sense to do that at the end of the day when the garage sale owner would likely have much more cash. She hadn't even opened yet, so the only cash she'd have on hand would probably be some ones or change that she got. I do think the handing over cash idea is a good and interesting one. And if this took place at the end of the day rather than early morning, I would say perhaps it is just some unhinged robber who killed a woman over garage sale cash.

Is it possible Elizabeth does hand over cash to kind of persuade the killer to leave? Like "Here, take whatever you want. I have money! I'll give you cash!" to try and save her life after seeing the gun?

I like your impression of "big boned", but not "heavy set". I would possibly add 'athletic" to the description as well.

The murder appears to be light on her feet when both approaching the victim, horribly standing over her, and running away.

When running, she (at least an apparent 'she'), does not seem to assume the instinctual and less efficient feminine running stride of hands down by the hips and crossing over the hips with a shorter stride. Rather, she seems to take the faster and more efficient "male" running stride.

The apparent athleticism can be natural, but the possible "male" running stride could well have been taught. One of the first things coaches do with young girls is to instruct them to run like boys and break their natural feminine stride / arm motion habit.

This could suggest that the murderer played sports as a youth and / or in high school. If so, perhaps she continued to participate in an adult recreational league? Though I do not want to read to much into it, softball has a certain number of big boned, but athletic females who would not be described as "heavy set".
All of this, yes!

So I could possibly see someone looking through the garage sale ads for a specific day and showing up when they think no one is around to rob the owner at gunpoint. I mean, it's not out of the realm of possibility, and I wonder if that has happened before. HOWEVER, it would make WAY more sense to do that at the end of the day when the garage sale owner would likely have much more cash. She hadn't even opened yet, so the only cash she'd have on hand would probably be some ones or change that she got. I do think the handing over cash idea is a good and interesting one. And if this took place at the end of the day rather than early morning, I would say perhaps it is just some unhinged robber who killed a woman over garage sale cash.

Is it possible Elizabeth does hand over cash to kind of persuade the killer to leave? Like "Here, take whatever you want. I have money! I'll give you cash!" to try and save her life after seeing the gun?

This certainly seems possible to me, I would def offer up whatever I could in this situation. Elizabeth had to have been terrified in her last moments. Pure hell.
And yes, more sense to rob after the sale. But more people about as witnesses. Could this really have been some crazed drug addict (or other) out looking for a quick buck at the cost of someone’s life? For a few dollars? Anything’s possible. MOO

The video is so disturbing :/ i can't watch again. Could any of you tell if the shooter put both hands on the gun (ie how one is supposed to be taught to shoot properly) or shot with one hand? It means nothing ik but i would assume someone shooting one handed may not be well trained with a firearm. Sorry if this sounds stupid but i can't watch it again and dont remember if it was clear enough to see.

The video is so disturbing :/ i can't watch again. Could any of you tell if the shooter put both hands on the gun (ie how one is supposed to be taught to shoot properly) or shot with one hand? It means nothing ik but i would assume someone shooting one handed may not be well trained with a firearm. Sorry if this sounds stupid but i can't watch it again and dont remember if it was clear enough to see.
I just watched it and it appears the killer used their right hand only. I am former military and I was taught to shoot with both hands. But at that range you can't really miss shooting one handed so I can't say they are not trained or experienced. The shooter doesn't really appear to aim with the first 3 shots. There doesn't appear to be much recoil with the gun - a .380 or .32 or even a .22. (Personal opinion there as I could be wrong from that far away.) A small caliber weapon makes sense as it likely to draw less attention. It is early in the morning and even in the Houston area in January, folks are likely asleep or if awake in a shut up house with the HVAC running and maybe with them even on the other side of the house. I don't know if in inside my house if someone shot a .32, .380 or even a light load .38 if it would wake me up. With the windows shut, even if heard it might be difficult to tell what direction the shots came from. With a smaller caliber weapon the killer uses 3 shots to the body and then the 4th is needed. (I can't believe I am trying to walk myself through this as the killer might as that is really macabre.) I wonder if they didn't use a revolver since this would not leave behind spent shell casings. I seriously doubt this is a 'professional' hit or at least an experienced hit person.

When I first saw this I thought the shooter was trying to send a message. But after I thought about it, I don't believe the killer ever suspected they would be picked up on video. Even though they might have been wearing a disguise. Because they made a second pass with the truck.

I just watched it and it appears the killer used their right hand only. I am former military and I was taught to shoot with both hands. But at that range you can't really miss shooting one handed so I can't say they are not trained or experienced. The shooter doesn't really appear to aim with the first 3 shots. There doesn't appear to be much recoil with the gun - a .380 or .32 or even a .22. (Personal opinion there as I could be wrong from that far away.) A small caliber weapon makes sense as it likely to draw less attention. It is early in the morning and even in the Houston area in January, folks are likely asleep or if awake in a shut up house with the HVAC running and maybe with them even on the other side of the house. I don't know if in inside my house if someone shot a .32, .380 or even a light load .38 if it would wake me up. With the windows shut, even if heard it might be difficult to tell what direction the shots came from. With a smaller caliber weapon the killer uses 3 shots to the body and then the 4th is needed. (I can't believe I am trying to walk myself through this as the killer might as that is really macabre.) I wonder if they didn't use a revolver since this would not leave behind spent shell casings. I seriously doubt this is a 'professional' hit or at least an experienced hit person.

When I first saw this I thought the shooter was trying to send a message. But after I thought about it, I don't believe the killer ever suspected they would be picked up on video. Even though they might have been wearing a disguise. Because they made a second pass with the truck.
Thank you. A .22 certainly wouldnt pose a recoil issue. Not too familiar with other calibers myself other than a 9mm was a bit much for me. And good point about the revolver.

Thank you. A .22 certainly wouldnt pose a recoil issue. Not too familiar with other calibers myself other than a 9mm was a bit much for me. And good point about the revolver.
But LE will have the bullets. They should know the type of weapon used and the calibre of the bullet. 4 shots. This person wanted EB dead. And whoever this was was pretty confident.
One handed is imo, impressive.

But LE will have the bullets. They should know the type of weapon used and the calibre of the bullet. 4 shots. This person wanted EB dead. And whoever this was was pretty confident.
One handed is imo, impressive.
With 4 shots I would think LE has at least one bullet they can analyze. Especially if it is a small caliber that might not go through the victim and smash into the house or driveway. From what I've learned from those in LE a recovered bullet doesn't always yield enough to match with a specific gun - e.g. a hollow point that has severely fragmented, hits too many bones or hits a structure or street or tree. But they would still know the caliber, at least, even if they can't get enough to ID the specific gun. (Some guns such as Glock have very distinctive rifling marks that might ID the manufacturer, if not the specific gun.) A spent shell casing can yield identifying marks from the firing pin and the extractor, if a semi-auto gun.

One handed shooting with a gun that doesn't have much recoil from that close? It's not that difficult at all. What does strike me is the apparent lack of hesitating on the part of the shooter. Cold.

Yes, this person was very confident. Or very bold (i.e., more guts than brains).

With 4 shots I would think LE has at least one bullet they can analyze. Especially if it is a small caliber that might not go through the victim and smash into the house or driveway. From what I've learned from those in LE a recovered bullet doesn't always yield enough to match with a specific gun - e.g. a hollow point that has severely fragmented, hits too many bones or hits a structure or street or tree. But they would still know the caliber, at least, even if they can't get enough to ID the specific gun. (Some guns such as Glock have very distinctive rifling marks that might ID the manufacturer, if not the specific gun.) A spent shell casing can yield identifying marks from the firing pin and the extractor, if a semi-auto gun.

One handed shooting with a gun that doesn't have much recoil from that close? It's not that difficult at all. What does strike me is the apparent lack of hesitating on the part of the shooter. Cold.

Yes, this person was very confident. Or very bold (i.e., more guts than brains).

Thanks for the input about the possible weapons, shooting style, etc. Its very helpful. I doubt this was someone just out robbing garage sales. The victim wasn't a threat and a robber wouldnt risk attracting attention to themselves by firing 4 shots in a neighborhood where most everyone was at home. Maybe they were staging it to look like a simple robbery, when it really was a hit.

I also think she was targeted, but more and more I wonder if this person even really knew her or if it was some (perceived) slight that got somebody angry and Elizabeth and her husband had no idea. Some people do crazy things. There have been cases of people murdering someone over road rage, just as an example (not saying that's the case here).

Did she make someone angry for some random reason out in public, they got so mad they followed her home and ended up stalking her/the house? We saw with the Jayme Closs case that he got obsessed with her after seeing her get off a bus and then began stalking her/casing the house completely unbeknownst to them. I wonder if it was something similar but EB made this person super angry, she had no idea, but they began stalking and just waiting for an opportunity. That would make it really hard to catch the person because they'd have basically no tie to her. MOO

I also think she was targeted, but more and more I wonder if this person even really knew her or if it was some (perceived) slight that got somebody angry and Elizabeth and her husband had no idea. Some people do crazy things. There have been cases of people murdering someone over road rage, just as an example (not saying that's the case here).

Did she make someone angry for some random reason out in public, they got so mad they followed her home and ended up stalking her/the house? We saw with the Jayme Closs case that he got obsessed with her after seeing her get off a bus and then began stalking her/casing the house completely unbeknownst to them. I wonder if it was something similar but EB made this person super angry, she had no idea, but they began stalking and just waiting for an opportunity. That would make it really hard to catch the person because they'd have basically no tie to her. MOO
That's a very good theory. Probably more likely than a murder for hire.

Today marks the 100th day that the Harris County Sheriff’s Office has been in receipt of a Public Information Act request for a copy of the search warrant that they’ve already publicly admitted to having executed.

Results of warrant could expose who killed woman setting up garage sale

HCSO received the request on May 5.

Dropbox - Photo Aug 12, 7 45 21 AM.jpg - Simplify your life

On May 14 they claimed they had no records responsive to the request.

Dropbox - Photo Aug 12, 7 51 52 AM.jpg - Simplify your life

The request was specific in naming the victim Elizabeth Barraza, the date of the incident, and the Tomball, TX address where the murder occurred.

The HCSO is in clear violation of Texas’s Public Information Act which states that requested records are to be turned over within 10 business days. The Attorney General’s office, which enforces the PIA, sent a letter to the HCSO at the end of May notifying them of my complaint. I have heard nothing further beyond a call to the AG’s office at the end of July in which I was told that it is still “under investigation.”

100 days and counting.
Since the murder, a year and a half and counting.

Today marks the 100th day that the Harris County Sheriff’s Office has been in receipt of a Public Information Act request for a copy of the search warrant that they’ve already publicly admitted to having executed.

Results of warrant could expose who killed woman setting up garage sale

HCSO received the request on May 5.

Dropbox - Photo Aug 12, 7 45 21 AM.jpg - Simplify your life

On May 14 they claimed they had no records responsive to the request.

Dropbox - Photo Aug 12, 7 51 52 AM.jpg - Simplify your life

The request was specific in naming the victim Elizabeth Barraza, the date of the incident, and the Tomball, TX address where the murder occurred.

The HCSO is in clear violation of Texas’s Public Information Act which states that requested records are to be turned over within 10 business days. The Attorney General’s office, which enforces the PIA, sent a letter to the HCSO at the end of May notifying them of my complaint. I have heard nothing further beyond a call to the AG’s office at the end of July in which I was told that it is still “under investigation.”

100 days and counting.
Since the murder, a year and a half and counting.
During the Christina Morris case we were seeing the search warrants after they were executed. Maybe it is just the law in that county near Dallas and not a state-wide law. But I thought we were told search warrants were sealed until they were executed. But I'm neither an attorney or a Texas resident.

During the Christina Morris case we were seeing the search warrants after they were executed. Maybe it is just the law in that county near Dallas and not a state-wide law. But I thought we were told search warrants were sealed until they were executed. But I'm neither an attorney or a Texas resident.
Anywhere in Texas, a search warrant is public record unless it is requested - and a judge agrees - to seal the warrant. But even sealing the warrant is a temporary, finite measure. It can be sealed for a 30-day period and then you can ask the judge for one 30-day extension. So a maximum of 60 days for a sealed warrant - after that, it’s public.

I don’t know that the Barraza warrant was ever sealed. But even if it was, the first mention of a warrant in the media goes back to last August. If it was ever sealed, the seal expired long before now. And it certainly would have been executed by now.

By the way, the warrant and the warrant return are two separate documents. I don’t believe that the execution of the warrant has anything to do with whether it is public record or not. At the point the judge signs it and thexwarrant is filed, it should be public record at that point.

Last edited:
Dateline uploaded a short video on the case yesterday to their YouTube channel.

I believe this interview with Sergio took place in February shortly after the murder.

I remember seeing a post by Crime Stoppers of Houston posting still shots of this meeting on their FB page with the family and Dateline.

The post was removed or my sleuthing skills are lacking.

This took my search to the actual Crime Stoppers of Houston web page and Crime Stoppers.org.

I found nothing on Elizabeth.

Nothing.Nada.Zip.Zilch....not even the poster, which I know I have seen and is out there.

With the reward being emphasized once again in the current articles, one would think this case warranted a writeup. POST the video! THIS IS/WAS a planned and executed murder.

If someone has the time please verify you also find nothing.

I will be a smidge embarrassed by my lack of sleuthing skills but happy to be corrected.

I am just a little angry that it takes People magazine to generate local media coverage. I had reached out to local reporters after the announcement of the search warrant months ago.

People magazine strategic choice: due to the broader national audience? Texas Rangers involvement to execute subpoenas or surveillance statewide?

The video again verifies nothing was taken. $100 bucks remained in the garage sale cash box. Sergio leans towards the suspect being female.

There are some good aerials of the house, video camera(s), street, garage sale items, family at the scene the day of the crime (I believe stuff we have all seen before).....

sorry for the ramble, I use to search daily for any news on the case and that dropped off due to the lack of findings.

I will be happy to wake up one morning and see a blazing headline, Arrest Made, Case Solved all wrapped up with a bow....

eta: corrected post to say Texas Rangers rather than State Troopers

Last edited:
Dateline uploaded a short video on the case yesterday to their YouTube channel.

I believe this interview with Sergio took place in February shortly after the murder.

I remember seeing a post by Crime Stoppers of Houston posting still shots of this meeting on their FB page with the family and Dateline.

The post was removed or my sleuthing skills are lacking.

This took my search to the actual Crime Stoppers of Houston web page and Crime Stoppers.org.

I found nothing on Elizabeth.

Nothing.Nada.Zip.Zilch....not even the poster, which I know I have seen and is out there.

With the reward being emphasized once again in the current articles, one would think this case warranted a writeup. POST the video! THIS IS/WAS a planned and executed murder.

If someone has the time please verify you also find nothing.

I will be a smidge embarrassed by my lack of sleuthing skills but happy to be corrected.

I am just a little angry that it takes People magazine to generate local media coverage. I had reached out to local reporters after the announcement of the search warrant months ago.

People magazine strategic choice: due to the broader national audience? State Trooper involvement to execute out of state subpoenas or surveillance?

The video again verifies nothing was taken. $100 bucks remained in the garage sale cash box. Sergio leans towards the suspect being female.

There are some good aerials of the house, video camera(s), street, garage sale items, family at the scene the day of the crime (I believe stuff we have all seen before).....

sorry for the ramble, I use to search daily for any news on the case and that dropped off due to the lack of findings.

I will be happy to wake up one morning and see a blazing headline, Arrest Made, Case Solved all wrapped up with a bow....

What Happened to Liz Barraza? | Dateline NBC
Wow, that is so sad, thanks for posting. So it wasn't a robbery as the killer left the float money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77