Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #73

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first experience wearing a face mask didn't end up too well, and I'm pretty sure it left me feeling quite ill afterwards.

It started off ok, I took one of my new pack of 50 disposable masks, put it in a clean plastic bag in my shopping bag. I didn't wear it down the street but there was hardly anyone around and most seemed to be keeping a good distance. I put my mask on as I entered the shopping centre, as I was going to pick up a parcel from Big W and Woolies was asking people to please wear a mask.
I was fine wearing it, and didn't feel that I couldn't breathe but found it restricted my vision, especially when I needed to get my ID or phone out of my bag. When I looked down all I could see was the mask, I couldn't see my bag at all, I had to turn sideways to see my bag. All in all though the mask wearing experience was fine in the store so I thought I'll walk the two blocks home wearing it. Well it didn't turn out that way.
I get to the first traffic lights, press the button, all fine. Then I look down and couldn't see the ground in front of me. That's when everything changed.
This is how I described it to a friend in an email to her.

QUOTE I went down the street this afternoon and collected the thermometer,
it's so tiny, I think it was meant for children, but if it works, it
works I suppose.
Not long home and it's hard to see because I have a visual migraine
with all the jagged lines going over my line of vision. And I feel so nauseous.

It was the most people I've seen with masks on so far , most of the
staff at Big W was wearing one.
The breathing felt ok but it was hard to see down, ie it was obscuring
my vision of the floor and where my feet were and hard to see
something in your bag.

I had planned to walk home wearing it but I got really dizzy near the
traffic lights and couldn't see down to where my feet were, I felt
nauseous like I was about to throw up and felt I was about to fall because I
lost the visual clue of being able to see the ground I was standing on
or even the ground in front of me or where my body was in relation to
my surroundings.
I felt myself not knowing where my body was and lurched a bit to one
side, feeling I was going to fall and be violently sick.
I decided to take it off and I was okay then but still felt nauseous
walking the rest of the way home. Pretty sure this was the cause of
my visual migraine. All in all I wonder if I am one of those people
who have problems wearing masks. I might google it later.

Been home for awhile now and still feel nauseous and still have those jagged lines in my vision.
END QUOTE

Is it just me or has anything like that happened to anyone ?
I know I used to get travel sickness and sometimes get nauseous when things are moved around. Like when my friend rearranged my desk in my computer room so it wasn't straight but was on the diagonal in the corner. As soon as I walked into the room I suddenly felt dizzy and nauseous.

Same thing happened when we went to Aldi in a neighbouring town. Their Aldi was a reverse of how ours was set up and I felt the same thing, dizzy and nauseous.
I'm sort of scared to wear the mask again, outside of a store, or anywhere near traffic. I came so close to falling, and felt really embarrassed :(
When my daughter was in high school one of her schoolmates would faint whenever she heard semi trailors on the highway a block away from the school. She was later diagnosed with some kind of epilepsy but she didn't fit, just fell down in a brief faint.

My first experience wearing a face mask didn't end up too well, and I'm pretty sure it left me feeling quite ill afterwards.

It started off ok, I took one of my new pack of 50 disposable masks, put it in a clean plastic bag in my shopping bag. I didn't wear it down the street but there was hardly anyone around and most seemed to be keeping a good distance. I put my mask on as I entered the shopping centre, as I was going to pick up a parcel from Big W and Woolies was asking people to please wear a mask.
I was fine wearing it, and didn't feel that I couldn't breathe but found it restricted my vision, especially when I needed to get my ID or phone out of my bag. When I looked down all I could see was the mask, I couldn't see my bag at all, I had to turn sideways to see my bag. All in all though the mask wearing experience was fine in the store so I thought I'll walk the two blocks home wearing it. Well it didn't turn out that way.
I get to the first traffic lights, press the button, all fine. Then I look down and couldn't see the ground in front of me. That's when everything changed.

works I suppose.

something in your bag.

my surroundings.

Been home for awhile now and still feel nauseous and still have those jagged lines in my vision.
END QUOTE

I know I used to get travel sickness and sometimes get nauseous when things are moved around. Like when my friend rearranged my desk in my computer room so it wasn't straight but was on the diagonal in the corner. As soon as I walked into the room I suddenly felt dizzy and nauseous.

Same thing happened when we went to Aldi in a neighbouring town. Their Aldi was a reverse of how ours was set up and I felt the same thing, dizzy and nauseous.
I'm sort of scared to wear the mask again, outside of a store, or anywhere near traffic. I came so close to falling, and felt really embarrassed :(

Was your mask up too high? Granted I wear glasses and have a specific routine but my vision has never been obstructed. Jmo

You might need to tighten it up, too.

So his first test came back as a false positive?

Yes, his first test was a rapid test, antigen test.
His second test took longer to process results, it was a PCR test, tests for COVID RNA. He had two of the PCR tests done, and both were negative. The hospital wants to test him again on Saturday, again, using the PCR test which is more sensitive and specific.

Yes, his first test was a rapid test, antigen test.
His second test took longer to process results, it was a PCR test, tests for COVID RNA. He had two of the PCR tests done, and both were negative. The hospital wants to test him again on Saturday, again, using the PCR test which is more sensitive and specific.

This makes me happy. Jmo

Thanks for this.

No I didn't feel faint at all, the only time I ever fainted was at a shop in Sydney on a trip. After I went to a cafe and ate something I was ok. Turned out I was pregnant.
I've always had this visual thing I think.
Maybe that's why I like things nice and straight in my cupboards etc. I am better than I used to be and sometimes turn things like groceries to the diagonal or a bit off centre just for fun, and it doesn't bother me.
Maybe I'm a bit OCD but I've got the upperhand now on everything needing to be straight at least in my house.

When my daughter was in high school one of her schoolmates would faint whenever she heard semi trailors on the highway a block away from the school. She was later diagnosed with some kind of epilepsy but she didn't fit, just fell down in a brief faint.

Thanks for this.

No I didn't feel faint at all, the only time I ever fainted was at a shop in Sydney on a trip. After I went to a cafe and ate something I was ok. Turned out I was pregnant.
I've always had this visual thing I think.
Maybe that's why I like things nice and straight in my cupboards etc. I am better than I used to be and sometimes turn things like groceries to the diagonal or a bit off centre just for fun, and it doesn't bother me.
Maybe I'm a bit OCD but I've got the upperhand now on everything needing to be straight at least in my house.
I didn't mean that you have what she has, just that there are different conditions out there, that are not dangerous but just different.

I've decided to only wear the mask when going into stores and businesses and other places where people might congregate.

I won't wear it when I'm going to cross the street.
This is a country town and we don't get crowds of people crossing the streets at the same time.
I'll just continue to social distance as usual when crossing, and if I find people are too close or there are too many I'd rather wait for the next green light and cross then.

Last edited:
Oh no, sorry, I knew you didn't mean that.
I'm still just trying to sort out in my mind just exactly what happened to me.
I really appreciate your input!
In fact I've made a note of it to ask my Dr , next time I see them, which is not very frequently.
Another thing I remember but I think it's related to motion sickness, was seeing a barge or it looked like a flat wooden raft that we were about to get onto. I got nauseous just looking at it, even before we stepped onto it :)

I didn't mean that you have what she has, just that there are different conditions out there, that are not dangerous but just different.

In fact I've made a note of it to ask my Dr , next time I see them, which is not very frequently.
Another thing I remember but I think it's related to motion sickness, was seeing a barge or it looked like a flat wooden raft that we were about to get onto. I got nauseous just looking at it, even before we stepped onto it :)
I could understand that. That would make me feel off balance.
Maybe your mask adventure had something to do with anxiety that you weren't in complete control?
I am scared of everything.

I don't like the feeling that I'm not in complete control that's true. And though I knew the road was in front of me and was solid, somehow my eyes needed to see it.
What if it had changed since the last time I saw it.
What if someone had dropped something on the road and I couldn't see it and tripped over it and ended up getting hit by a car. They drive like maniacs around here and often take no notice of the lights. And you only have four seconds to get across the roads here, at the lighted crossings.
And what if a crack or uneven part of the road had appeared like a lot of the footpaths around here.
I do like to see where I'm walking and keep my eyes open for obstacles and momentarily I lost that ability, and it was scary.

I could understand that. That would make me feel off balance.
Maybe your mask adventure had something to do with anxiety that you weren't in complete control?
I am scared of everything.

works I suppose.

something in your bag.

my surroundings.

END QUOTE

It kind of sounds to me like the first day I wore graduated bifocals. Until I became accustomed to them, the changes made me dizzy. I think it’s possible you were just thrown off-kilter due to the change in how you saw things when looking down.

Ohio governor DeWine just tested negative on second test, per CNN.
I sure hope this won’t shake the public’s confidence in the accuracy or necessity of testing!

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tests positive for coronavirus -- and then tests negative on second test - CNNPolitics
Well it's shaking my confidence in the accuracy of testing but not the necessity of testing.

When I was sick in March and didn't know if it was Covid, I just kept worrying about everyone I had been around. So afraid of making others sick. I'm sure that's all that was going through his and Fran's minds. I'll bet they did a happy dance when they got the negative results back.

I don't like the feeling that I'm not in complete control that's true. And though I knew the road was in front of me and was solid, somehow my eyes needed to see it.
What if it had changed since the last time I saw it.
What if someone had dropped something on the road and I couldn't see it and tripped over it and ended up getting hit by a car. They drive like maniacs around here and often take no notice of the lights. And you only have four seconds to get across the roads here, at the lighted crossings.
And what if a crack or uneven part of the road had appeared like a lot of the footpaths around here.
I do like to see where I'm walking and keep my eyes open for obstacles and momentarily I lost that ability, and it was scary.
You may also need a different type of mask.

Oh man I am so sorry about your mask experience today! I’ve learned that most masks don’t fit me right—my face is small I guess lol. Maybe yours is too? I have to tie any of the ones that go behind the ears to make them tight enough or I wear the ones that tie behind the head. I even found “teen” sizes online. On some I have to push it down low enough under my eyes but still covering the nose. They really shouldn’t obstruct your vision like that.
Also do you usually have migraines? Could it be that you just got a migraine during that time and it didn’t actually have to do with the mask? Your experience sounds just like my regular migraines (had one today actually) with the nausea and dizziness and all of that. Like someone else mentioned, maybe anxiety about the mask contributed.
But do try to tweak your masks or find/make some that fit well. Those paper masks are the worst for me. They do not fit and I could see how the bobbing around in my vision could possibly trigger a stupid migraine.

I think you might be right.

It kind of sounds to me like the first day I wore graduated bifocals. Until I became accustomed to them, the changes made me dizzy. I think it’s possible you were just thrown off-kilter due to the change in how you saw things when looking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member