Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incidentally, 400,000 Americans Died during the entire World War 2.

We're going to exceed that in terms of Covid-19 Deaths in less than 1 year.

And, unfortunately, the US is experiencing more deaths-per-day than it did in any war.
Currently over double the amount of deaths-per-day than it did during its worst time of war deaths (the Civil War).

xx.JPG

United States military casualties of war - Wikipedia

Fauci warns COVID-19 vaccine may be only partially effective, public health measures still needed

I'd like to see this elaborated on a little more. "Never"? Like we social distance and wear masks for the rest of our lives?

"An approved coronavirus vaccine could end up being effective only 50-60% of the time, meaning public health measures will still be needed to keep the pandemic under control, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious diseases expert, said on Friday.

“We don’t know yet what the efficacy might be. We don’t know if it will be 50% or 60%. I’d like it to be 75% or more,” Fauci said in a webinar hosted by Brown University. “But the chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.”"

Georgia boy, 7, dies from COVID-19 after attending church — Daily Mail

“A seven-year-old boy who attended a church in Savannah, Georgia where two elderly parishioners died of COVID-19 has become the youngest person in the state to die of the virus.

The boy's death has been linked to Savannah Holy Church of God.

Wessinger said the seven-year-old came into contact with two elderly church members who tested positive for COVID-19.

Those two individuals have also died.”

Fauci warns COVID-19 vaccine may be only partially effective, public health measures still needed

I'd like to see this elaborated on a little more. "Never"? Like we social distance and wear masks for the rest of our lives?

"An approved coronavirus vaccine could end up being effective only 50-60% of the time, meaning public health measures will still be needed to keep the pandemic under control, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top U.S. infectious diseases expert, said on Friday.

“We don’t know yet what the efficacy might be. We don’t know if it will be 50% or 60%. I’d like it to be 75% or more,” Fauci said in a webinar hosted by Brown University. “But the chances of it being 98% effective is not great, which means you must never abandon the public health approach.”"

Very depressing - Covid-19 may influence life permanently. Our life spans will change. It may be like the Black Death or Justinian's Plague, affecting humans for many years. We can only hope for effective vaccines and treatments....

This is a good idea (from 10ofRods post):
"K-12 is likely going to require faces to be seen and for good reason."

Even if each child gets X amount of time online each day, at least the teachers will know the children are there, and can mandatory-report to authorities if something seems suspicious.

Not really. Parents can easily withdraw kids from school, happens all of the time, and they disappear.

I followed up on a child like that, his family spoke Spanish, so there was that. But they just shrugged, said he was living in Mexico with Grandma. End of story. They didn't report him missing.

I read an article that said that suppression of the virus is the only way through - getting the R0 factor below R1 everywhere.
(Elimination woud be preferrable, thereby skipping the ongoing process of suppressing cluster outbreaks, but elimination is very hard to attain and only smaller countries have been able to attain that, for now.)

Should we try to eradicate or suppress COVID-19 in Australia?

Although, it is said that the 1918 virus eventually died down to have the intensity of a normal flu. So, some flu deaths still happened, but the majority of the population managed to cope fairly well by riding out a typical flu.

I think most schools have counselors. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Jmo

Many schools in California did away with counselors years ago. Most school counselors don't do "counseling", they do scheduling, and transcript review, test monitoring, and manage testing, results, coordination of data. Or help kids who want to graduate, but are failing, how to get the credits to graduate.

According to the data below, there is an average of one school counselor for 430 students.

Lowest student-to-school-counselor ratio since 1986

Last edited:

Faucci at Brown
Dr. Anthony Fauci: ‘Maybe this will be a wake-up call for society to change’

I love these seniors! Such wise words.
'Think about the society you're living in': Seniors supporting masks recall rationing during WWII
Custer said he thinks the division may partially come from the unseen nature of COVID-19.
"It's easier to be a patriot in war," Custer said. "Maybe they can't see the real enemy. Maybe they should look inward. They may be the real enemy."

”We should respect others that we meet as well as ourselves, and wear that mask joyfully, because we here at MorningStar have remained coronavirus-free, and that’s a big blessing," said 91-year-old Geri Gloystein.

“Wear that mask joyfully”...such a beautiful attitude.

I read an article that said that suppression of the virus is the only way through - getting the R0 factor below R1 everywhere.
(Elimination woud be preferrable, thereby skipping the ongoing process of suppressing cluster outbreaks, but elimination is very hard to attain and only smaller countries have been able to attain that, for now.)

Although, it is said that the 1918 virus eventually died down to have the intensity of a normal flu. So, some flu deaths still happened, but the majority of the population managed to cope fairly well by riding out a typical flu.

I'll read this and watch this. I'd read somewhere though that the flu has a tendency to burn itself out on it's own. But that they thought covid was different and would not burn itself out. I don't understand getting the R0 below this...

Ok reading now and it's just depressing because the US and my state Georgia are basically doing none of this. And I honestly don't understand what we are working toward because it seems like as soon as people stop isolating it flairs right back up.

"So future sustained outbreaks, like the current Victorian outbreak, will remain possible until we can vaccinate the population - even under an elimination strategy."

And it sounds like we will be lucky to have a vaccine any more effective than the flu vaccine.

"So ultimately, both strategies are susceptible to outbreaks of COVID-19 in the community as long as the pandemic endures."

"Whether Australia continues with its suppression strategy or opts to switch to a defined elimination strategy, either approach will require continued vigilance."

I'll watch the video but this sounds like it doesn't answer the concerns of....does this ever end? Does it just become endemic? How long can a pandemic last? It sounds like it's never going away so how do we maintain vigilance forever? A 50% effective vaccine is not impressive. I'm not sure of the R0 difference between this and the flu but I was thinking this was currently a lot more contagious. And the flu is typical seasonal and this is apparently not.

I have had the flu once in over 40 years. I hate this virus....This is like living in some horror movie.

Very depressing - Covid-19 may influence life permanently. Our life spans will change. It may be like the Black Death or Justinian's Plague, affecting humans for many years. We can only hope for effective vaccines and treatments....
I see it as more like polio and diptheria. We never gained any herd immunity to them until vaccinations gave us the immunity and kept the non vaccinated safe within the herd.
There are still epidemics of those two diseases in low vaccination countries, the lastest of which was a diptheria outbreak in the Rohinga camps of Bangladesh.

Eventually it did, but took almost four years to die down to an acceptable level.

Eventually it did, but took almost four years to die down to an acceptable level.

Thanks. I was only aware of the Australian Story historians' accounts .. where we first felt the 1918 virus in October 1918, then it was considered to not be dangerous any more by December 1919. Perhaps because international travel was nothing common in those days - especially once the war was over - so we were less affected, and infected for a shorter time.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part ... that this could become far less dangerous within a year to a year-and-a-half.

More than 100 Americans have died after taking hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 | Daily Mail Online

More than 100 Americans died from taking Hydroxycholoroquine---- there are studies to back this up.
If trying to figure the death count in this article.

More than 100 Americans have died after taking hydroxychloroquine in a misguided effort to treat or prevent coronavirus so far this year, a new report reveals.

In the first six months of 293 people died after taking hydroxychloroquine, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's review of the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) adverse events reporting system.

That's compared to just 75 in the first half of 2019.

Is this saying that 100 people died in the first six months of 2020 after taking hydroxychloroquine compared to 75 deaths in the first six months of 2019?

More than 100 Americans have died after taking hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 | Daily Mail Online

Thanks. I was only aware of the Australian Story historians' accounts .. where we first felt the 1918 virus in October 1918, then it was considered to not be dangerous any more by December 1919. Perhaps because international travel was nothing common in those days - especially once the war was over - so we were less affected, and infected for a shorter time.

Perhaps wishful thinking on my part ... that this could become far less dangerous within a year to a year-and-a-half.
Travel was still reasonably common within the European countries, and there was a surge of immigration to the US in the twenties, but not to far away Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam