Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right. The state I live in, Montana, relies on summer tourism for a bulk of income. And Montana has had the lowest Covid rates, aside from Wyoming and Alaska.

Our governor has allowed unlimited access and travel from anywhere, no quarantine, no questions, it has been an absolute free for all. I talked to a gal the other day who is a housekeeper at the Marriott here. I "assumed" the place would be empty, I mean, seriously, who is going to travel during a pandemic?! The place has been booked solid, she says that she has never been busier. Even though they are not cleaning rooms for people every day. But these folks stay one or two nights, and leave. So the rooms have to be cleaned again.

They are hiring. So, there is that.

As I posted earlier my husband owns a condo in Gulf Shores and rents it out and let me tell you it is filled up at least through August. No one has ever asked him about sanitizing. I have been surprised that people are vacationing as though there is no pandemic.

Not sure if this has been posted.

'I grew up in a war - I'm not dying in a pandemic'

" "I grew up in a war; I'm not dying in a pandemic."

Margaret Alcock sheltered from bombs during the Blitz, crossed an ocean to live in Australia, and was evacuated to safety during last season's bushfires.

The 89-year-old - who is my nanna - used stoicism and black humour to cope during those times. It's the same now with Covid-19.

"I do sometimes wonder how on Earth I've ended up here with coronavirus around me," she tells me over the phone from New South Wales (NSW).

"But I've seen worse things happen, and I don't worry about it."

When the coronavirus reached Australia in January, my family assumed that my grandparents - both of whom live in aged care homes - were in the safest place possible.

Five months on, the sector has seen scores of outbreaks and 156 of Australia's 247 virus deaths. This includes 12 of the 15 announced on Wednesday - Australia's deadliest day yet.

In a deepening crisis, some providers have been accused of failing to protect society's most vulnerable members. State and federal governments are also facing questions.

_113800609_lucyandnanna-margaretalcock.jpg
Image copyrightLUCY MARTIN
Image captionThe author with her nanna, Margaret Alcock
More than 180,000 people live in Australia's residential aged care homes, which are managed by not-for-profit groups, private companies and government organisations.

Many of these facilities were quick to impose their own lockdowns. Some went beyond the government's official advice by banning visitors, halting activities and confining people to their rooms."

Continued at link.

Covid-19: 174 new cases and one further death

(Ireland)

There has been one further death from Covid-19 and 174 additional cases reported to the Department of Health. This brings the total number of deaths here to 1,772 with 26,644 cases.

This is the first time that case numbers have risen above 100 since Friday, May 22, when 115 people were confirmed to have tested positive for coronavirus.

Today's figure is also the highest number of new cases in one day since 426 cases were announced on 14 May.

Five cases have been identified as community transmission with 112 cases confirmed to be associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case.

Scotland records 60 new cases of coronavirus in last 24 hours – STV News

Scotland has recorded 60 new cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours.

The latest Scottish Government figures revealed there have now been no deaths related to the virus for the last 23 days but the total number of confirmed cases is now 18,950.

A total number of 261 people are currently being treated in hospital with three in intensive care.

The total number of Covid-19 deaths in Scotland remains at 2491.

The Coronavirus Is New, but Your Immune System Might Still Recognize It

A flurry of recent studies has revealed that a large proportion of the population — 20% to 50% of people in some places — might harbor immunity assassins called T cells that recognize the new coronavirus despite having never encountered it before.

I keep thinking about the importance of the "asymptomatic" group. Do they have some sort of commonality? A DNA chain? Genome? They survived Scarlet fever as a child?

I would like to hope that research is being done on this group.

Seriously, just had in laws get back from a Florida vacation. 10 of them from 3 households took a family vacation. I give up. :(

Isn't that crazy? Meanwhile, folks like us don't even go out to dinner. I looked at my car the other day, I have not driven even 1,000 miles since February. And for living in Montana, that is practically unheard of.

And I betcha not a one of them will get tested and the ones that have jobs go right back to work Monday. They're going to a family get together tonight if they get back in time. Not us.

I have a friend who theorized that public support for Covid restrictions would collapse when school started and $600 checks stopped. It's starting to look like he was correct. His business takes him to people's homes and, this week, he had eight straight calls where he wasn't asked to wear a mask. He also notice only a few cars at a Covid Testing Station by his house. I just got back from Walmart and saw a large percentage of patrons with masks pulled down. Are you guys noticing similar?

I have a friend who theorized that public support for Covid restrictions would collapse when school started and $600 checks stopped. It's starting to look like he was correct. His business takes him to people's homes and, this week, he had eight straight calls where he wasn't asked to wear a mask. He also notice only a few cars at a Covid Testing Station by his house. I just got back from Walmart and saw a large percentage of patrons with masks pulled down. Are you guys noticing similar?

Not here. I went by our county's main testing station Thursday. There was a line out through the parking lot. We're masking fools for the most part now. I'd say 90% minimum of the people I see when I'm out and about are masking up.

There are a few unmasked glaring people but not that many.

I keep thinking about the importance of the "asymptomatic" group. Do they have some sort of commonality? A DNA chain? Genome? They survived Scarlet fever as a child?

I would like to hope that research is being done on this group.

Many years ago I had a cat that died from feline infectious peritonitis which I believe is a coronavirus. Would that have primed my immune system to recognize the virus that causes COVID-19?

Not even ONE mask in this picture. :eek:

If it's true that only 100,000 have shown up, using the US average positivity rate but also assuming that the symptomatic stayed home (or are stuck sick in a motel room), that's at least 500 people who have CoVid, with 400 being active spreaders.

We'll say Friday, August 7 was Day 1. Bars were packed last night, as shown on some youtube videos (and the streets are packed today). No masks to be seen. Lots of long conversations (I can only see the outdoor ones).

If half of those spreaders went to bars last night, that's 200, each of home probably infected at least 2 people.

It takes 2 days to become contagious, more or less. So tomorrow, Sunday, there will be 600 active spreaders. Some of these people will indeed become sick.

Tonight, those spreaders will infect at least another 200-300 (probably more, as there are way more people packed into Sturgis today than yesterday).

Tons of older people at Sturgis, many overweight or obese/high BMI. By Monday, there will likely be as many as 1000 spreaders. Maybe only 700-800 (some will cease to be infectious, some will become symptomatic and head to the ER, etc).

Given that the bowling alley is open (and huge), and there are enormous bars, and that nearly everyone goes into one of those places on Saturday night (there's live music, etc), it's truly a perfect event for CoVid spread.

One more factor: an awful lot of these people are staying at the Broken Spoke or some other g-normous RV campground just outside of town. Living and sleeping inside an RV with others will up the transmission to those others (looks like 2 occupants per RV is not uncommon, sometimes 4 - way more men than women).

Indeed, the number of older men at Sturgis is remarkable.

A lot of the RVers interviewed in one campground were there for the duration (10 days). I wonder where the nearest hospital is.

Found the hospital: there's one right in Sturgis (gets pretty poor reviews on Google). Not huge. I hope they are ready.

I'd love to know the transmission rate difference between the bar/restaurant visitors (with visits of more than an hour) and those who head back to a camp without a bar/restaurant experience.

Anyway, SD has 1024 active cases as of yesterday and 106 new cases yesterday (which is a jump already, for them). 1024 is more than 1% of the total population of SD (700,000+) Let's hope the active cases stay home, but if my county is any indication (similar size), that's not happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member