Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The buyers would have to be heartless to attempt legal consequences under the circumstances. But I guess some people are very eager to take title and spend their money on real estate, even if the seller is in the midst of a personal tragedy.

I would have thought that another way around this issue would be to extend the lease (perhaps at a discount) or give another financial incentive. Apparently, the seller of the property found the existing deal to be to his liking (or necessity).
I believe it very well could have been the opposite. It's very much possible that BM needed the transaction closed if he was already committed to another real estate purchase elsewhere. MOO

As for Suzanne’s friend being concerned about their text conversation ending abruptly, I think either:

a) Suzanne always signed off her texts a certain way and this didn’t happen.
b) Suzanne was typing, her friend could see that she was typing, but the message was never sent (I’m thinking iPhone 3 dots...)
c) Her friend did receive responses, but they were clearly not from Suzanne and instead, from someone impersonating her.

I also don’t believe Barry went to a work site on the Sunday. I think that was an alibi to give to Suzanne for what, or should I say, WHOM he was actually visiting. I think LE caught him out on that lie early on and he admitted to an affair, as well as notifying the woman so she then came forward. I feel that the affair and the fact that he lied about his whereabouts were the reasons LE searched the house. Unfortunately they couldn’t find anything to pin murder on him and his lying about his whereabouts was “justifiable” to cover up the affair, which is why they haven’t been able to use that lie against him...YET!

Barry knows that LE have been on to him since day 1 due to their exposure of his affair, hence his perceived dislike of them. Narcissists hate it when their true colours are exposed, and hate the ones who expose them.

So many rumours circulated social media early on about affairs and several names were mentioned. I do feel that the initial rumour of an affair was accurate, but when so many names started coming up, the affair was put back in to the rumour only category.

All MOO.
<bbm>
I think LE was onto BM immediately. They saw something that caused them to hit the ground running. We have not heard anything about an affair so far.

Wait...the son of whose girlfriend?
No wedding date disclosed but it was the son of Suzanne's girlfriend that was to marry.** SM and friend were reportedly having an ongoing text conversation Saturday when she suddenly went dark Saturday evening. By all accounts, it was a wedding that SM planned on attending -- subject to any COVID restrictions/cancelations.

ETA: **

I also don’t believe Barry went to a work site on the Sunday. I think that was an alibi to give to Suzanne for what, or should I say, WHOM he was actually visiting.

ETA - the affair/lover theory is JMO

I’m quoting myself here, as my suggestion basically contradicts what I said earlier about it being premeditated. If Barry’s (MOO) murder of Suzanne was premeditated, he wouldn’t have needed to lie and tell her he was going to a work site on the Sunday to cover up actually going to see his lover. If he planned for her to be dead, why would he have needed to make up that story?

This brings me back to being on the fence about premeditation. Maybe he didn’t tell Suzanne about a job site? He had no reason to if she wasn’t going to be alive. Maybe he only told friends and family about the job site after the event, as he was hardly going to tell them that he was with a lover that day?

I still think he made her disappear over the Indiana house sale/the fact she wanted to go back there/the fact he wanted a new life, whether it was premeditated or not, aaaahh! o_O

Last edited:
The buyers would have to be heartless to attempt legal consequences under the circumstances. But I guess some people are very eager to take title and spend their money on real estate, even if the seller is in the midst of a personal tragedy.

I would have thought that another way around this issue would be to extend the lease (perhaps at a discount) or give another financial incentive. Apparently, the seller of the property found the existing deal to be to his liking (or necessity).

Well, it's possible that the financing would've fallen through if the closing didn't occur as planned.

Additionally -- if I was the attorney for the buyers -- I'd be pressing for the sale to close ASAP. The last thing my clients would want is for the property to get tied up in an estate fight or even a wrongful death claim.

I think LE was onto BM immediately. They saw something that caused them to hit the ground running. We have not heard anything about an affair so far.

I agree, that’s why I put MOO (in reference to the affair) but reading back at my comment, I guess it sounds as though I’m confirming that as fact. Sorry! The affair is JMO :)

Ok, thank you for that! I watched the YouTube video this AM while eating breakfast but did not have a chance to watch it again and parse out the details of who they spoke with.

I watched it yesterday (simultaneously with a Spanish crime movie and filling in papers. I hope I got most correctly, but did not guess the killer in the movie, so who knows). This is my 2nd time of watching PE, so, novice's observations.

What was good about PE:

1) courteous
2) humane touch - speaking about cancer survivors
3) no dollar collections and no T-shirts
4) very logical. What is a red flag, what is not. One may agree/disagree, but for amateurs who rely on intuition in true crime, it is a great way to learn how to "process" the whole case. Many thanks to C&M for teaching me this approach.
5) Saying nice things about TD. They did not need to, but I am thinking of how important it was for TD.
6) They, of course, were somewhat lengthy.
7) But true gentlemen.

SBM & BBM. I’m assuming SM and BM had a signed lease-to-own contract agreement on the Indiana home. If so, I don’t think a seller can just change their mind and break the contract without facing some major legal ramifications. Does anyone know? From what I’ve read, it’s not an easy thing to do. MOO

ETA My post wasn’t clear. I’m responding to speculation about BM’s motive to kill his wife. I don’t think Suzanne would have been able to stop the sale of the Indiana house. MOO

I agree, if there was a contract in place Suzanne would not have been opposed to following through. But she sure may have had a different opinion on how the proceeds should be spent. If so, I don't think BM would have been happy about that. Moo

Not looking good for BM.

It’s got to be heart wrenching for SM’s family to walk the line between speaking up for Suzanne and protecting her daughters from pain.

Suzanne needs to be brought home. Her daughters deserve that. Hopefully, whoever disappeared her will find a conscience and bring her home.

MOO

Didn't LS state in one of her interviews that the cameras had never worked since they purchased the home? Anyone recall that?

I don't recall that the cameras were inoperable since purchase. I think after living there for 2 years, it doesn't follow that they would not have repaired or installed a new system.

I believe there are questions about whether there are active cameras on the bike trail --although several posted warnings that the public is being surveilled. I know this for certain as LS discussed that she and TY blogger TD went looking for the cameras!

Wow I was locked out because I couldn't remember my password.
m0928.gif

These questions were addressed on Lauren's live.

Lauren Scharf on Facebook Watch

Question: Do we even know who was the last one to see her?

Lauren Scharf (timestamp 10:30)

“So I did ask CBI about that and CBI told me ‘it’s part of the investigation they’re actively seeking tips from citizens but they believe that someone has seen her more recently than previously thought and then when I asked about the question you know when is the last time someone spoke with Suzanne- perhaps someone has spoken with her more recently than previously thought. So it’s still part of the investigation.”

Would texting count as "spoken with her"?

In my mind, texting equates to speaking for most people.

"Seen" could be on Zoom or FaceTime. MOO.

I agree, if there was a contract in place Suzanne would not have been opposed to following through. But she sure may have had a different opinion on how the proceeds should be spent. If so, I don't think BM would have been happy about that. Moo
ITA! I’m sure Suzanne knew she couldn’t stop the sale of the house and probably didn’t want to. If she wanted to move back there, I don’t see her wanting to move back into their old house. She would have half of the proceeds from the house to buy a new place. MOO Like you said, I don’t think BM would have been happy about that. MOO

mention they didn't think landscaping jobs were going on much in CO at the height of Covid, but in fact since many people are kind of stuck at home, it's been pretty high demand for those jobs in my neighborhood, I'm slightly outside of Denver...you just stay six feet away with a mask if you absolutely must have a conversation, most don't. People have just been redoing pretty much everything inside and outside their homes since March.

The house I'm in originally had a security system (not functioning when I bought, and I wasn't bothered to use it), my neighborhood is not high crime to say the least. I yanked it after four years of not using it (procrastination). I just have a Ring Doorbell now. I'll have to catch up at some point, but I have a pool reservation soon, so I'll figure the rest out later lol
MOO

Not that I recall. They only mentioned it in relation to how the bike story evolved. The neighbor saw that the cars were in the driveway and told Barry. After that, it was discovered that the bike was missing. I'm assuming Barry told her to check for the bike in the garage. Maybe it was left unlocked, since apparently there are no windows?
There is a window and there is a space between the stacked wood right under the window, not that I think it matters either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member