Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense BM would go get the heavy equipment for Sunday's Denver trip late at night if the Denver trip had not been planned. The trailer with the machinery had to be gotten to make a trip out of town to Denver come true.
Interesting what the work crew in Denver has to say.

It would be interesting. Can you believe that after three months, we still have not heard a single detail about that Denver job!?
And it's supposed to be his alibi! It makes no sense. Moo

I don't think LE would have volunteered that information either.

Also, I know this has been discussed but still confuses me. Is a search warrant needed to obtain location data from a cellular device or a 'black box' of a vehicle? It has been mentioned that there will be many search warrants, but when? I would think if a warrant were needed, as indicated for cell phone data, location data, then it could be confirmed that they have more than likely searched the phones and vehicle data?

How may search warrants are there currently for this case? I think I have only seen 3 here in this case so far. Two for the house and the other for the big dig...

Even if they are sealed, can you still verify search warrants being pulled or applied for and granted?

Pursuant to 2018 Supreme Court ruling -- yes, search warrant required for tracking.

CCSO has confirmed 3 sealed warrants but the county court clerk will not disclose not even the number of warrants issued. (I asked).

US Supreme Court rules police generally need a warrant to track cell phones — a big win for privacy activists

I don't think LE would have volunteered that information either.

Also, I know this has been discussed but still confuses me. Is a search warrant needed to obtain location data from a cellular device or a 'black box' of a vehicle? It has been mentioned that there will be many search warrants, but when? I would think if a warrant were needed, as indicated for cell phone data, location data, then it could be confirmed that they have more than likely searched the phones and vehicle data?

How may search warrants are there currently for this case? I think I have only seen 3 here in this case so far. Two for the house and the other for the big dig...

Even if they are sealed, can you still verify search warrants being pulled or applied for and granted?

JMO
I just went down a rabbit hole trying to find out more about how newer vehicles are installing passive GPS location recording devices onto their vehicles and its hard to find a good article on it.

The best explanation I found was in an article related to fleet tracking of trucks where it mentioned that manufacturers install these devices so that it makes it easy to upgrade (plug into) to a full navigation system with a full screen when a customer opts for that option or does an after-market ad-on. I didnt include the article because it didnt explain it very well and was mainly talking about fleet truck tracking.

We know manufacturers have these "black boxes" because we saw it in the Heather Elvis case too. In that case, if I remember it right, the perp knew about his truck having the capability so he somehow physically detached it from working and then re-attached it after committing the murder.

Anyway, I suspect lots of consumers dont realize their certain vehicles already have a "GPS type module" already installed because they dont have the full navigation screen or anything to do with it but yet the vehicle will have record of where its been and that is the type of information LE can access from the black box module if the vehicle came equipped with it.

I am sure most everyone has seen wire harnesses under the hood and a lot of times you see an end of a bunch of wires ending with an open plug and nothing plugged into it. That is usually because you didnt order an extra option that would plug into that spot. The manufacturer already installed all the other parts for that feature and just did not give you the "extras" that plug into it to give you the feature.

That is how I understand these GPS modules that know the trucks location but the vehicle doesnt have navigation screens or anything that looks like it has GPS.

All JMO and hope some of this helps.

Below is a pretty good article that shows different ways we can be tracked and not realize it.

Tracking Technology: Your Car Is Definitely Watching You – But That Might Not Be a Bad Thing - Insurance News | The Zebra

I think Barry should come out and talk. These rumors are going to far. IMOO

BBM:

It's. Too. Soon.

Let's give the guy a break…after all, his wife has only been missing for 3 months.

Why, this case isn't even cold yet!

He doesn't want to talk to anybody until he thinks it's too late to find her.

JMO.

Last edited:
You're right, that makes the most sense. So I wonder why Mike and Chris beat around the bush and left it seeming so mysterious?And I'd expect those cars to be there so why is that a red flag?
Guess I should be asking Mike and Chris. Wink.
Well, they didn't say the cars alone were a red flag. It was first mentioned in the context of how the whole bike story evolved. They said that it didn't make sense that Barry would ask the neighbor to go over to the house to see if the cars were there if he thinks she went on a bike ride.

I don't think Barry "knew" that she went on a bike ride. I think he suggested it. But they also said the neighbor could have suggested it. They thought the whole story about the bike was a "huge" red flag.

They suggested the cars being there might mean someone else is involved or knows something, but what was more important to them concerning that theory was Barry's use of the word "we." They asked, "Whose we?" They said he could just be referring to his friends or family who were helping him search.

They also said it was strange that the cars were there because if she went off voluntarily she could have just taken the car. I think they were just exploring all potential theories.

Imo

Well, they didn't say the cars alone were a red flag. It was first mentioned in the context of how the whole bike story evolved. They said that it didn't make sense that Barry would ask the neighbor to go over to the house to see if the cars were there if he thinks she went on a bike ride.

I don't think Barry "knew" that she went on a bike ride. I think he suggested it. But they also said the neighbor could have suggested it. They thought the whole story about the bike was a "huge" red flag.

They suggested the cars being there might mean someone else is involved or knows something, but what was more important to them concerning that theory was Barry's use of the word "we." They asked, "Whose we?" They said he could just be referring to his friends or family who were helping him search.

They also said it was strange that the cars were there because if she went off voluntarily she could have just taken the car. I think they were just exploring all potential theories.

Imo
I think those cars are going to be key and the PE guys know something significant that they are not revealing IMO
We wait

JMO
I just went down a rabbit hole trying to find out more about how newer vehicles are installing passive GPS location recording devices onto their vehicles and its hard to find a good article on it.

The best explanation I found was in an article related to fleet tracking of trucks where it mentioned that manufacturers install these devices so that it makes it easy to upgrade (plug into) to a full navigation system with a full screen when a customer opts for that option or does an after-market ad-on. I didnt include the article because it didnt explain it very well and was mainly talking about fleet truck tracking.

We know manufacturers have these "black boxes" because we saw it in the Heather Elvis case too. In that case, if I remember it right, the perp knew about his truck having the capability so he somehow physically detached it from working and then re-attached it after committing the murder.

Anyway, I suspect lots of consumers dont realize their certain vehicles already have a "GPS type module" already installed because they dont have the full navigation screen or anything to do with it but yet the vehicle will have record of where its been and that is the type of information LE can access from the black box module if the vehicle came equipped with it.

I am sure most everyone has seen wire harnesses under the hood and a lot of times you see an end of a bunch of wires ending with an open plug and nothing plugged into it. That is usually because you didnt order an extra option that would plug into that spot. The manufacturer already installed all the other parts for that feature and just did not give you the "extras" that plug into it to give you the feature.

That is how I understand these GPS modules that know the trucks location but the vehicle doesnt have navigation screens or anything that looks like it has GPS.

All JMO and hope some of this helps.

Below is a pretty good article that shows different ways we can be tracked and not realize it.

Tracking Technology: Your Car Is Definitely Watching You – But That Might Not Be a Bad Thing - Insurance News | The Zebra
Oh no, not the rabbit hole!! There was quite the debate 20+ threads ago whether or not BM drove a GMC or Ford truck and which of the two manufacturers' GPS modules could be more easily disabled. I don't think it was ever resolved. I'm hoping to keep my non-smart vehicle for as long as it runs!

Husband of missing Suzanne Morphew refused polygraph test; truck data doesn’t line up with alibi, family member says
The family member, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told the news station that Barry Morphew had twice refused a polygraph test, and claimed that data from his pickup truck did not match what he had told investigators.
[..]
RSBM-
In addition to the neighbor who heard equipment sounds at the construction site. Maybe the GPS data on BM's truck also showed him there in the relevant time period?

I suppose the two vehicles discussion on PE, could simply be a “don’t touch that dial” thing. Keeps me coming back :p

If the alibi is home all Sat night, and truck stays parked at home all night.

Possibly one of the other cars was older and had no GPS - and that vehicle left for a period in the evening, but was caught on camera somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member