FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel sorry for the LE that have to deal with him and question him. Can you imagine?

I hope this results in finding Leila. I can't decide if he really had concern for her, or if he was preying on her, or what their relationship even was.

MOO
I don't think he had any concern for her at all. He spent so much time defending himself, making excuses, and especially painting Leila out to be a terrible mother, irresponsible, and a thief! Without ever showing any concern for her at all.

An innocent person doesn't take the time to make an hour long video building a back story as an explanation as to why she must have gone missing. Then proceed to explain everywhere he went and point out that everything is on camera. He was trying too hard to steer the narrative.

He said he was the last person to see her. He knew the FBI wanted to talk to him again and was actively avoiding them. If he ever cared about her at all, he would have cooperated from the beginning and tried to look for her. He didn't even describe the black car or show her picture during his very long video.

I'm curious about what their relationship was too. I wonder if he ever really knew her before her visit to Florida.

I don't think he had any concern for her at all. He spent so much time defending himself, making excuses, and especially painting Leila out to be a terrible mother, irresponsible, and a thief! Without ever showing any concern for her at all.

An innocent person doesn't take the time to make an hour long video building a back story as an explanation as to why she must have gone missing. Then proceed to explain everywhere he went and point out that everything is on camera. He was trying too hard to steer the narrative.

He said he was the last person to see her. He knew the FBI wanted to talk to him again and was actively avoiding them. If he ever cared about her at all, he would have cooperated from the beginning and tried to look for her. He didn't even describe the black car or show her picture during his very long video.

I'm curious about what their relationship was too. I wonder if he ever really knew her before her visit to Florida.
Well said. I totally agree with what you've said and instead of even pretending that he cared, he did a heavy duty job of character assasination. Who does that when someone considered a friend disappears?

Ohh I didnt know they already had it!! Thats good then!
Well, I'm not sure! I was "thinking" they had it, but it was just speculation. SR said something about having an iPhone, so maybe he thought they couldn't retrieve the data. I don't know how fast they can get warrants, but it seems like the FBI were on to him pretty fast. Imo

ETA, I just remembered him saying something about his friend in the hospital who had a phone and I think he said the FBI had it. I thought he said he gave her the phone to communicate with him, so maybe there is some evidence there, too.

Yeah to be honest I think this is the cops making a power move or a way to buy more time before filing formal charges. IME working in criminal law, prosecutors usually wont bother charging someone for lying unless the circumstances are particularly egregious because I mean criminals literally lie to the cops everyday. Law enforcement is totally within their rights to do so but IME its rare and either to parlay it into something else or to send a nice little screw you to the suspect. But obviously I havent read the case file so im not 100% confident
This right here. People lie to law enforcement all the time. Every minute of every day. There aren't enough jails in the country to hold all the people who lie to LE.

You're arrested for it as part of a much bigger picture, generally. Casey Anthony was held on the same charge when they were looking for Caylee, for instance.

It seems the FBI thinks/knows SR is involved and want to sit on him while they figure it out.

I wish LE or some agency would release an actual update so we would know for sure 100% which direction this case is going. I think SR knows more than he is letting on but I'm not convinced that he is the only person involved here. It would be nice to know if they are looking at other people rather than just putting all of their eggs in one basket so to speak. Hopefully they will release something today so we will know which direction to start looking in next.

I wish LE or some agency would release an actual update so we would know for sure 100% which direction this case is going. I think SR knows more than he is letting on but I'm not convinced that he is the only person involved here. It would be nice to know if they are looking at other people rather than just putting all of their eggs in one basket so to speak. Hopefully they will release something today so we will know which direction to start looking in next.
I don't want to jinx anything but I think perhaps they are waiting to lay more serious charges if possible before a press release, which would be a better reason to keep him in custody. JMO.

As someone (or maybe more than one) has said here, I think she will be found in the Everglades. Or not found in the Everglades. I think his phone may ping there or there may be evidence on the truck that the truck itself was there. He wanted to put himself there for a reason.

Did he ever say that he actually made it to the Everglades?
He talks in circles so it's hard to say. He said he was still planning on going, but it's not clear if he ever did. He may have said that to mislead the FBI and make them think he was there.

I think it's interesting that he said she went to the beach while he went to work out. He never places himself at the beach with her. It just seems strange that he would drop her off and go work out in the middle of the day. They went to several other places yet were back at the gas station by 3:00 pm. He later suggests she might have met the two guys in the black car at the beach.

Imo

Yah, if the job was something shady or dicey. If it was in the shadowy world that this guy wallowed in, late night interview fits well. IMO
Or, if he was "romancing" her the whole time, showing her around Ft Lauderdale and trying to impress her, she could have been dressed to go out to a restaurant. Imo

I
Yeah to be honest I think this is the cops making a power move or a way to buy more time before filing formal charges. IME working in criminal law, prosecutors usually wont bother charging someone for lying unless the circumstances are particularly egregious because I mean criminals literally lie to the cops everyday.

Don't know anything about law about this subject, so i'd like to ask, does it change anything that it's not cops but fbi ? Because as long as you're not under oath, i was under the impression lying wasn't a thing that one could get arrested for, unless it's obstruction of justice or something, but that one would only know after the fact i'd think, if it actually did obstruct...

I also wonder if it actually could be unrelated to this case. (But that's not a question specifically to you! ).

You cannot bond out if you are being held for the US Marshals. The only way you leave that jail is in the company of US Marshals. Looks like the Marshals asked Broward to pick him up and hold him for them.
Yes, it says he is being "held for the US Marshals." That tells me they must have found a lot of information about him, and there is a great deal of incriminating evidence. It's not like he was just lying about one or two things. Imo

SBM

I'm curious about what their relationship was too. I wonder if he ever really knew her before her visit to Florida

What a crazy coincidence if they did NOT have connections in Alabama. He said they met in Muscle Schoals.
  1. When Leila was part of a civil trial in Nov. 2019 her contact address was Muscle Schoals, according to Walker County court records.
  2. The arresting county for SR’s last burglary 3 charge was Jefferson County.
  3. Both in Alabama about 2 hours driving time between them.
It makes sense to me that they did in fact know each other back home. JIMO

RYAN, SHANNON Inmate 00235282: Alabama Prisons (DOC)

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Attachments

• 56536B9E-921F-4F9D-8A7D-12536CC081AF.png
    56536B9E-921F-4F9D-8A7D-12536CC081AF.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The charge of lying doesn't have to be in person either! A quick look at his Facebook account will show just how unraveled he was becoming. Posting those posts here isn't allowed, but there is plenty on there that would fall under lying to a federal agent. The statute doesn't say the person has to be mirandized either to be charged with this offense. The way I read it, it can be even things that are misleading a federal investigation. I would say that video was full of false things that mislead an investigation. There is plenty on his FB since that video that shows him unraveling.

Since he has been arrested, is his SM okay to post now or still n

I

Don't know anything about law about this subject, so i'd like to ask, does it change anything that it's not cops but fbi ? Because as long as you're not under oath, i was under the impression lying wasn't a thing that one could get arrested for, unless it's obstruction of justice or something, but that one would only know after the fact i'd think, if it actually did obstruct...

I also wonder if it actually could be unrelated to this case. (But that's not a question specifically to you! ).
No worries, I enjoy translating legal speak into plain english. The only difference this might make is that lying to the cops is a state charge, but lying to the FBI is a federal charge. I wanted better clarification so i was looking at the legislative nots and its looks like most federal courts have ruled that that this charge is not applicable to mere denials of guilt because they do not impair the basic functions of the agency to which the statement is made, but the language of the law is written, intentionally, very broadly, so the FBI could use there discretion to charge for literally any lie. Its not super clear cut so it would really depend on whether the judge felt the charge was appropriate.

As a general rule, its usually not charged unless the lie cause some harm or obstructs law enforcement's ability to do their job. because like you said people lie all the time and its generally not a arrestable offense in usual circumstances. i was also wondering if the charges could relate to another case or if he could potentially have outstanding warrant or something like that

All MOO, because for whatever reason I still believe this SR guy is mostly innocent, because he seemed to really care about her when he was recounting how he took care of her. Although, this is just a 1 sided story. However, in that 50 minute video, to me, it seemed like he lied about the truck. Something about him telling that part of his story made me uncomfortable. Even if he did give her the cash for the truck, if I remember correctly, he said he moved it to the Walmart parking lot? IMO something about him moving it seemed off.
I think his story about driving the truck is hinky too and his sudden onset of fear it may have been stolen. Maybe he used it to take Leila somewhere thinking it would keep evidence out of his car.

He mentioned going to the Everglades in his "production" and google tells me it is less than an hour from Hollywood. Can any locals speak to the viability of a late night drive to the Everglades? Thank you in advance.

Well said. I totally agree with what you've said and instead of even pretending that he cared, he did a heavy duty job of character assasination. Who does that when someone considered a friend disappears?
Maybe someone who is vexed because they can't get what they want from that "friend"? JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member