Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be obtuse; so did you mean if she converted to RC she would feel she was betraying that faith if she went to Baptist service?

Or that she would feel she was betraying Baptist if she converted to RC?

I meant, if she had already converted to one faith, she would feel she was betraying her own convictions if she attended a service of her former faith.

I don't know if my spouse was a pastor for a specific religious segment, I think I would feel guilty. I would feel like I was betraying my husband and my children. That is a very heavy burden to carry. I don't know if I could to that. The guilt would be over-whelming for me. Not sure I could handle that level of guilt -- speaking from my personal feelings.

He may have friends and extended family who are catholic and he loves them, but that could be a different animal than being a pastor and your own wife converts to a much different denomination, especially if he has aspirations in the SBC that go beyond his current church. Some of his parishioners might think if he can’t minister his own wife, how can he minister them.

If I were a detective, I would do some serious sleuthing around the Memphis region, and especially with the family of deceased Lance CPL Timothy Creager.
@Kacyarina what are your thoughts?

I’ve read her comments on his memorial site and he absolutely had a profound impact on her life. He was extremely religious and felt a religious calling to enlist. I’ve also read she was very close with his mom. I have some thoughts however I’d love to hear yours.

What may be difficult for some to understand is, many of the RC faith, and many of the Baptist faith, essentially see the other "side" as adhering to an entirely false gospel, and that means a false religion and not genuine Biblical Christianity at all.

For both sides, that's massive.

I know that might sound outrageous to some but I assure you, many Baptists and many RC will agree 1,000%.
What I do not know, is if MC's Baptist church was of this position (and by default, her very own husband and his Biblical/doctrinal convictions), or the church she allegedly converted to, was of this position.

For the household of Christian faith, this is not a small thing - this is the main thing.

Just trying to explain to those not familiar. I do hope this helps.

Yes.

Thank you for clarifying.
In that case, I disagree. I know Baptist, Catholic, LDS, etc. who attend weddings and funerals, with especially funerals being almost no different than a regular service of that faith. They don't feel it's a betrayal. And LDS do believe they are the one true religion. I've seen my LDS friends at funerals and their emphasis is on showing respect for their friends or family who are of that faith, the same as the would be doing at a regular service, jmo.

IMO, it depends more on the individual person than whether they are Baptist or Catholic. In MC's case, I think her education and exposure to other viewpoints would overide other considerations.

ETA; I don't think attending funeral services is different than attending a regular service. You attend a funeral service for the same reason MC would attend the Baptist service; to show respect and be with family and friends. There may be some that would feel a sense of betrayal, but that depends more on the individual person, JMO

I meant, if she had already converted to one faith, she would feel she was betraying her own convictions if she attended a service of her former faith.

Last edited:
I was raised Catholic but I have attended many other denominations and never felt like I was betraying my upbringing. I found it very interesting and in some cases scary.
My daughter-in-law is Catholic, we attend Christian Life Center (Non-Denominational). She is not adverse to joining us once in a while, but it freaks her Mom out.
On the flip-side, we join them occasionally as well. Different types of worship format, same God :)

Maybe one day Marilane can explain all this herself. I think her daughter's birthday is this coming Tuesday? If she's out there, hopefully she will reach out.

Doesn’t gas burn off faster if the engine Is just running? Maybe she stopped several times to try to rest and had the car running and sitting in a parking lot? I feel like I’m grasping at straws here.
Personally i haven’t noticed that with my car- but it’s possible that it can? I’m not sure about her specific car make Nd model and how it runs. Some cars do burn gas just sitting (think... an old van like a Dodge Grand Caravan circa 2001-2003) while some may not (a Hyundai Sanota hybrid for example). I would have to be familiar with her car in particular to know. I will research this and get back at it.

ETA-
It’s likely it wouldn’t have gone through tanks of gas just by sitting. Not impossible, but unlikely. A car only uses approx. 1/5 a gallon of gas idling over an hour

Last edited:
Things may have gone sour with her husband. She remembers her lost, and possibly first, most passionate, love and goes to spend time with his family near Memphis. She cannot stop thinking of what they once had and idealizes the dream of what they might have had together had he not been killed. She still loves him. She must be near him if she can.

What may be difficult for some to understand is, many of the RC faith, and many of the Baptist faith, essentially see the other "side" as adhering to an entirely false gospel, and that means a false religion and not genuine Biblical Christianity at all.

For both sides, that's massive.

I know that might sound outrageous to some but I assure you, many Baptists and many RC will agree 1,000%.
What I do not know, is if MC's Baptist church was of this position (and by default, her very own husband and his Biblical/doctrinal convictions), or the church she allegedly converted to, was of this position.

For the household of Christian faith, this is not a small thing - this is the main thing.

Just trying to explain to those not familiar. I do hope this helps.

OM, this is a quite accurate explanation of the position many take on the other, certainly in the South.

Things may have gone sour with her husband. She remembers her lost, and possibly first, most passionate, love and goes to spend time with his family near Memphis. She cannot stop thinking of what they once had and idealizes the dream of what they might have had together had he not been killed. She still loves him. She must be near him if she can.
Listen to :

Until I joined this site I had no idea of how much religion there is in the U.S compared to U.K

it rarely features in our missing person cases as a possibility to a disappearance

not a criticism just a comparison.
Until I joined this site I had no idea of how much religion there is in the U.S compared to U.K

it rarely features in our missing person cases as a possibility to a disappearance

not a criticism just a comparison.
Snipped from pewresearch.org article written 2018 - Americans are far more..

“For instance, more than half of American adults (55%) say they pray daily, compared with 25% in Canada, 18% in Australia and 6% in Great Britain. (The average European country stands at 22%.) Actually, when it comes to their prayer habits, Americans are more like people in many poorer, developing nations – including South Africa (52%), Bangladesh (57%) and Bolivia (56%) – than people in richer countries.“

Do you suppose it is possible that MC doesn't realize that this search is going on? Perhaps she thinks she made it clear to family that she was looking for seclusion or treatment and is somewhere not realizing what s going on. She may not even be entertaining the idea that her absence is a full scale search. Her family on the other hand may find this so out of character that they are truly alarmed for her. MOO MOO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling