Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that is the case. I hope her “confusion” was completely made up as well.

But, then I rationalize with myself and say there is an element of mental illness that thinks hiding is necessary.

I’ve heard many people here over the year or so I’ve been here remind me of Occam’s razor. It’s just in this case I don’t know what the most simplistic answer is.

I think a car accident, with the car out of view, is the simplest answer...jmo. This has been the case in several cases when the car can’t be located.

That's interesting, for sure.
I don't know any Baptists that would attend mass in a RC church, but I assume they exist.

I know many. In fact.....where I live churches, synagogues, mosques and meeting halls do open houses a couple of times a year and people attend services in different places of worship and then have a meal together. It's very popular. I grew up attending RC, Methodist and Baptist services because I have relatives and friends of several different denominations. We visited the churches of our friends all the time. I went to vacation Bible school at several Baptist churches with my Baptist cousins and friends, and they came to my Methodist one. At my father's funeral, a Catholic priest and a Baptist minister did the service. I went to synagogue with a Jewish friend quite often and she went to church with me too. I have celebrated the Hindu New Year at a temple with my daughter because we were invited by a Baptist friend who is married to a Hindu. My Southern Baptist cousin married a Mormon, and nobody blinked an eye.
It's also quite common for parents of all faiths, and even non-believers, to send their children to Catholic schools because the academics are excellent, and non-Catholic children are allowed to skip religious classes.
Marilane's background sounds quite different from mine. I grew up in Birmingham, a city which has many different cultures and religions. My neighborhood was quite diverse. But I didn't know any fundamentalist type Baptists at all.

What may be difficult for some to understand is, many of the RC faith, and many of the Baptist faith, essentially see the other "side" as adhering to an entirely false gospel, and that means a false religion and not genuine Biblical Christianity at all.

For both sides, that's massive.

I know that might sound outrageous to some but I assure you, many Baptists and many RC will agree 1,000%.
What I do not know, is if MC's Baptist church was of this position (and by default, her very own husband and his Biblical/doctrinal convictions), or the church she allegedly converted to, was of this position.

For the household of Christian faith, this is not a small thing - this is the main thing.

Just trying to explain to those not familiar. I do hope this helps.

You're right, that's how it is in the southern U.S. IMO. Attending funerals or weddings of those folks of different denominations isn't as big a deal as attending a worship service of another denomination, IMO.

If the wife of a Baptist pastor attended a Catholic worship service, that would be viewed as outrageous and a scandal. Converting? Much worse. She would be facing eternal damnation. IMO.

I so hope the tower data dumps will help focus in on areas so that law enforcement can lead informed searches and even volunteer ground searches. I hate to think she is injured somewhere or carjacked and no one is looking. Perhaps more specific data will get Memphis or law enforcement in other areas more involved. Heartbreaking to see her daughter celebrating her 3rd birthday.

UPDATE 8:45PM CST August 17, 2020

Search efforts are continuing around the region thanks to the many volunteers posting and searching. We've are getting word of people in NY, TX, IL, CO, and many other states who are posting flyers and looking all over for Marilane.

So far, sonar data reviews are not showing any signs of Marilane or her vehicle in the MS River. However, it's important to know that sonar reviews are not yet completed, and additional sonar teams are expected to arrive in the area soon to conduct more imaging and searching before we are able to rule out the possibility.

Law enforcement is reviewing tower data dumps and investigating any new leads. Please call local law enforcement if you have any info, leads, or tips.

We've been in touch with a connection that can coordinate crop dusters to fly aerial searches in the area as well. This is helpful as we look to receive more accurate phone ping location information from law enforcement investigators.

Marilane fueled up with $33.32 of fuel at the Shell Station on Petro Road in West Memphis, AR, on Sunday, August 2, 2020, at approximately 4:57PM CST. Based on the fuel capacity and range of her 2011 GMC Acadia, she could possibly have traveled nearly 400 miles without refueling.

Please review the attached map showing the 400-mile radius from her last fuel stop. Please look for Marilane and her vehicle. Marilane could be anywhere.

Marilane Carter - 36 years old / white female / 5' 8"/ 130 lbs / brown hair / green eyes / last seen red shirt and dark pants with a ballcap

Vehicle: 2011 GMC Acadia (dark gray / charcoal) with Kansas tag - 194 LFY.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️
View attachment 260309

Find Marilane

I think a car accident, with the car out of view, is the simplest answer...jmo. This has been the case in several cases when the car can’t be located.
The fact that her car hasn’t been located is very troubling. Someone mentioned earlier about the possibility of drug or alcohol abuse playing a part in her mental health issues. This lead me to wonder if perhaps she had prescription meds with her and intentionally or inadvertently took too much in her confused/agitated state and ended up on some nearby road that isn’t highly visible. Or perhaps she just kept driving and ended up somewhere far away from the Shell station lost, disoriented and overdosed. I pray this isn’t the case. I don’t think her husband is involved in her disappearance but I do feel he might have downplayed the severity of her illness for whatever reason. I have a close friend who is bipolar and before she was placed on the correct meds she took an overdose of her antidepressant because she said she just wanted to sleep and not feel “crazy.” She almost died. Until this happened to her you would have never made me believe she would even contemplate suicide. She has a daughter who is her world but mental illness can sometimes cause such darkness in one’s life. Thankfully, my friend is fine now.
My heart breaks for M’s family, especially those precious children who can’t understand why Mommy isn’t there.
Praying for her safe return.

I agree... I wondered if it was an application for a position AWAY from her home. Possibly this was a sad yet needed step? Maybe someone should share this with her family or LE?

Jumping in late here, but 2 cents, FWIW: Could be that the family was stretched financially, and she figured that applying to be an elem. ed teacher would help to "bridge the gap".

ETA: With the advent of Covid, many districts across the country have waived various requirements (since many districts have full-time teachers who have chosen to take early retirement, rather than to return to the classroom), so MC may have thought that with her past work with children, etc., she'd have a good chance of being considered for full-time employment. Of course, many teachers are also planning to start the new school year off by doing "virtual" learning, so... in Marilane's case, even if her children are still very young and not ready yet to attend school, she could still be at home with them, even while doing virtual teaching. All of this is entirely JMOO, of course, since none of us know exactly the outcome of her job application.

My hinky-meter is definitely pinging on this case.

The fact that the husband is Lead Pastor at a Baptist Church and Marilane possibly celebrated a first Holy Communion in the Catholic Church would threaten his career.

(RSBM)

Again, a problem that falls in the category of mental illness could reflect badly on the Pastor, depending on who was judging the reflecting.

If I had to guess (and it is a guess), I'd suspect Marilane has been suffering from Clinical Depression and has been discouraged from seeing a therapist. A friend may have recommended a Catholic Priest who has been counseling her, leading to her decision to join the Catholic Church.

MOO

I hope I'm completely wrong and that she's someplace getting professional help. I'm here in Memphis praying she's in a hospital close by.

The more I read and think about this case, the more I think that Marilane is under the protective care of a place (think: mental health unit in a hospital, or even at a convent, etc.) where her identity are *totally* protected... Now then, whether or not LE can access that info., I have no idea, but...if she is in such a setting, then...
a.) she is not about to just "reach out" to LE/her family (to say that she's okay); after all, *if* (big "if" here) she is in such a place, then she's being encouraged to just...be...still/quiet (and is probably oblivious to *any* searches, etc. being conducted for her). Would also likely *never* see the news/basic TV, etc.
b.) this possibility (that Marilane *may* be in a "safe place") would also explain the lack of PCs on the part of LE, etc.

ETA: It somehow seems, well, weird to think that (*if*, say, she were at a convent doing a "retreat"/time of quiet, etc.) random vehicles would be permitted to enter the grounds just to search for her vehicle (not saying that "outsiders' vehicles" are *not* permitted, but feel sure that such vehicles definitely *would* be scrutinized).

In any case, praying specifically for Marilane this evening and throughout this difficult time for her family and friends...

@MemPat im sorry to hear about that but glad to know you are better. I too have had a bad experience with church counseling.

My take on AC in his video - it made me feel uneasy. That all is good pastor at the pulpit vibe doesn’t work for me when your wife is missing. The larger audience isn’t your congregation here. JMO

Help-find, IIRC you're in the Memphis area. That fine therapist is Dr. Robert Serino near the Racquet Club. My experience was more than forty years ago!

a few random thoughts:
They have, by my standards, an expensive home. Unless it is being paid for by the church, I sense financial difficulties.
I narrow my eyes when I hear significant others mention “mental issues”. IMO this could be a deflection or simply a she has to be crazy to think/do that.
Is she pregnant?

As far as finances go. While I don't pretend to know what the Carters are, I do know that these churches pay quite well. I've had some experience with pastors salaries from being on several committees at my church. The days of a church providing a pastorium are gone in the Southern Baptist convention. An allotment is given for the house payment. It's usually quite generous and considered a part of the annual salary.

As far as finances go. While I don't pretend to know what the Carters are, I do know that these churches pay quite well. I've had some experience with pastors salaries from being on several committees at my church. The days of a church providing a pastorium are gone in the Southern Baptist convention. An allotment is given for the house payment. It's usually quite generous and considered a part of the annual salary.

From my experience as well, mid to large size churches compensate their head pastor competitively.

MOO MOO

I cannot shake the feeling that some type of addiction is at play here.

Having an airplane ticket booked and at the last minute deciding to "drive instead" really raises my hinky meter. I'm not sure she decided to drive instead. I think she may have just said...I'm not going and headed out. This then would explain why her husband reported her missing at 3:00 am in the morning when she didn't come back. It would also explain why she didn't go to Birmingham (as far as we know). She wasn't about to go and get help. If she wanted help for whatever her issues were - she'd be there.

If Marilane was headed to rehab, a cover story that she was going to be with her sister for the birth of her baby would definitely be above question. There are several rehabs in Birmingham.

The whole converting to Catholicism is a bit of wrench in the works. That's a really big decision especially when one is married to a Baptist Pastor. Yikes. How do you explain that? Did he know? What precipitated that decision?

Mental illness and addiction go hand in hand.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I would not be surprised at all to find out that Marilane is on a bit of a bender - holed up in some motel or even living in shelters right now.

I also don't think we have the entire story.

I hope and pray that Marilane gets the help she needs (in whatever form that takes) and reunites with family and friends. Her children need her.

MOO
Pure speculation on my part but sleep issues can be caused by meth. That would also play into her being very thin. Just a thought...

I believe the conversion to Roman Catholicism may, in part, be a tactic of one-upmanship on her part. It is the church of tradition, history, and intellectuality, among other things, and is a chance for her to look down upon what she deems as her husband's simplicity from a position of superiority.

i am going to throw out a theory, so it's pure speculation from my brainstorming on this case. moo.

what if marilane's "mental illness" had everything to do with her converting to catholicism, and her husband and family both agreed to have her committed. (is that possible to do to a family member at her age?) AC is the one who booked the plane ticket home for her, and her family was going to pick her up and get her to the hospital he and her family had chosen. he insisted she go to an out- of -town facility due to his job and any shame that would bring on their family, and her family was on board with this idea. (could also explain all the phone calls searching for mental health facilities- it could have been adam calling.) marilane was tired of the pressure and looking for a way out, but felt ganged up on by her husband + family. so when AC and the kids went to bed, she ran. she pulled over at the hotel to get her bearings and rest for a few, and try to decide what to do. but she realized AC was tracking her card, and decided to keep on her journey, and didn't want him to find her. she had a suitcase in the car bc this was planned. (could also explain all the missing time, if she did NOT want to get closer to her family, and was on the road trying to figure out where to go. this could also explain why she hung up on her mom and AC, and got rid of her phone. this could also explain the silence from family, and the unsettling plea from AC, and the feeling he's not telling the whole truth.)

only thing i come to after all of that is where is she now? where is her car? (it WOULD mean she's hopefully alive though!)

A little detour here about the problems that could arise from a pastor's wife converting ...

I was raised Southern Baptist. My husband, Missionary Baptist. He's been a licensed MB preacher for 25 years or so. We "changed" denominations 6 years ago and are currently Church of God, in which he is ordained as a pastor.

The main issue that, IMO, would cause the greatest problem is, the church board, deacons and congregation would see her conversion as him being unable to keep his house in order, therefore unable to lead a church. There's a difference in your kids going off the rails - also known as PK Syndrome: Preacher's Kid Syndrome - and your wife converting to a faith practice that is quite different. That would constitute a "house divided" or unequally yoked. It would divide the pastor's attentions in a way that being the shepherd of a flock would not be given the full attention that was needed. Once the church board/deacons/elders met to discuss, there would be an offer of some sort, likely, made, whereas he could have a leave of absence to figure it out. Should they divorce, it would then likely be discussed as to whether the divorce is under biblical terms and that could decide whether or not he kept his pastor position at the church. Then you get into remarriage and that's where it could get hairy, but that's another conversation for another day.
I haven't done any research into what flavor their church is or what their governing regulations are. I have no idea if they're a fringe/charismatic/other flavor or run-of-the-mill.

At any rate, had anyone in the church found out, that would certainly be cause for the family to circle the wagons and present a particular narrative as to what happened. I'm leaning toward no one knowing but getting close to knowing, since there haven't been any community interviews or articles with one of the church members or someone in the "know" having spoken publicly … which I find VERY strange. There's always that one person who speaks to the media, loud and clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member