Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone gave her $10-$20 to buy that gasoline.

She had credit cards. We don't know if she had cash, but the today's report says her purse and ID were in the vehicle when found, so she could have paid for the gas herself.

It sounds like something was wrong with her when she was at that gas station.

Do we know how far the gas station was from the shipping container?
The gas station tip you are thinking of was never confirmed. The cash given was never confirmed. The last purchase was with her credit card at the shell of Petro rd.

Within a few miles.

It still seems plausible to me that someone could have given her bad directions or have followed her and got her off the highway to the truck scales area.

I hope LE has some very good investigators, better than their searchers who never opened the containers.

They should have had the mindset of looking for a car, a body, or a car and a body, and looked everywhere a thin woman like her could have been hidden.

The gas station tip you are thinking of was never confirmed. The cash given was never confirmed. The last purchase was with her credit card at the shell of Petro rd.

Thank you. Very important to get the facts !

Looks like a bit more than 3 miles from the Shell station to the reported location of the Bridgeport Road and the walking trail.

RIP Marilane.

My heart is so sad for Marilane, and for all that she suffered, mentally and emotionally... May God use even this -- this horrible situation where a young mom leaves behind three precious children, and grieving family members -- to cause those of her faith communities to make tangible changes to how they view mental health, and those who struggle with such difficult issues.

ETA: Writing as someone with close ties to those in spiritual leadership positions who have struggled privately with mental health issues; grieving the loss of Marilane, and all the understanding that she was able to offer to so many, and so generously, too -- all while she felt mostly isolated and ignored in her own suffering.

God, give us eyes and ears to see and hear the hurting in our worlds, especially those who suffer with mental health issues. Show us how we can listen, care, and encourage them to seek professional help; use *us* to make a difference...

I say this at all because it gives a little insight to this case. I just suffered a mental break last year. I have zero memory of it. There was plenty of really out of character bizarre info that I’m happy to never remember. It has never happened before. My drs think it had to do with my extreme stress level from a stalking, and my PTSD. It is TERRIFYING. There’s 100% chance she didn’t have the faintest clue what was truly happening. I was lucky to have neighbors that have known me for 7 years and called 911 immediately. Whatever happened to Marilane could’ve easily been from a mental break. I remember setting on my couch, and I became coherent in an ER alone, completely lost. So, even if it ends up being suicide, it doesn’t mean she was aware of anything happening or what she was doing. I’m not sure how they would ever determine that. It’s very sad. I’m newer to this case: had any previous mental illness or psychiatric incidents happened before? ANYONE can have a mental break, though, without any mental illness at all. Stress really plays hard on the mind, tricking us into all kinds of behaviors we never would do if we were in control of our minds or bodies. Was she taking any medications: even benign ones? I saw insomnia mentioned. Did she even take something like Tylenol PM or benedryl? People have had bizarre behaviors if their body chemistry reacts negatively to any medications. Insomnia alone can mess with a person psychologically as well as physically. It’s much more detrimental and dangerous than a lot of people know. All absolutely JMO. (Ebm Bc I suck at grammar.)

Not looking inside the shipping containers while they were searching for a missing woman would be like not looking inside an old refrigerator that was sitting out in the field when you were searching for a small child. I couldn’t have walked away without peeking inside. People have used shipping containers for torture chambers, for goodness sake!
Don’t get me wrong, I back the blue, but it is only common sense that a woman traveling alone who went missing in the manner that she did, would not necessarily have still been in possession of her vehicle. I would hate to think that someone in law-enforcement didn’t take her disappearance seriously enough to look for a person, not just her car.
We all make mistakes. Unfortunately, this mistake was three shipping containers sitting in plain sight near the area of her last cell ping.
I hope they impounded the vehicle before anyone accidentally contaminated the scene...or moved the driver’s seat.
MOO

snipped:
Carter's car, a gray 2011 GMC Acadia, is also missing, but the detective said he's been told it would be difficult to get a vehicle into the river and, if one did, they believe there would be definite signs of one going in.

Carter's mother said that when she talked to her, part-way through the trip, she described being disoriented and kept getting lost during her trip to Alabama.

"Nobody has figured out exactly why she wanted to leave that night and what got into her mind on wanting to go," Larsen said. "I've spoken with the family -- husband, mother, brother-in-law -- and I think they all knew that she wanted to seek mental help, but I don't think they knew to the extent to which she was in crisis."
Detective gives update on Marilane Carter's disappearance: Brief hotel stop was 'very strange'

Investigators know she left Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City, the night of Aug. 1, and stopped at a hotel in West Plains, Mo., where she stayed for two hours and 20 minutes.
---
----------
interesting they say it could be difficult to get into the river with her vehicle but where could it be?
Also, Mom says she was disoriented - what was happening to cause this?
hmmm
JMO

I'm thinking back on my time with clinical depression which, as it always does, included sleep issues. During the worst of it, when I left the house alone in the car I'd have panic attacks and have to pull over, then go right back home. Perhaps Marilane had a panic attack and sought help with the wrong person? Or maybe sought help via telephone from someone who came and picked her up?

I remember once not sleeping for five days/nights in a row and refusing to take sleeping medication. I wonder if Marilane took Ambien, which often causes people to do weird things.

Then again, as some of you have speculated, maybe she made a plan before she left home to meet up with someone. Her short time in the motel could have been just a rest stop because she was too early for a planned rendezvous. For all we know she was a victim of abuse and secretly hooked up with an underground DV group. She could be planning to go back for her children when she's able.

May God keep His eye on her until she finds her way to a safe place.

(ETA: I'm sorry to hear of Marilane's death but we do know she made it to a safe place, the arms of her savior. God bless all who suffer from mental illness.)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I just re-watched the video of her leaving the hotel again. That white car is very odd and appears to quickly jump out and wave their arms in the air as to get her attention. What would cause the driver of the white car to get out of their vehicle in the middle of a turn lane and wave down a passing car? This is really puzzling to me.

Welcome to Websleuths, Fullofhope! Love your name!

Horrible tragedy. Could she have been attempting suicide by means of carbon monoxide poisoning?

That is where my mind went... Or overdose out of sight... But it's still very odd that she came across this random shipping container on property that is usually gated... Can this really be coincidence?

RIP beautiful Marilane!

I say this at all because it gives a little insight to this case. I just suffered a mental break last year. I have zero memory of it. There was plenty of really out of character bizarre info that I’m happy to never remember. It has never happened before. My drs think it had to do with my extreme stress level from a stalking, and my PTSD. It is TERRIFYING. There’s 100% chance she didn’t have the faintest clue what was truly happening. I was lucky to have neighbors that have known me for 7 years and called 911 immediately. Whatever happened to Marilane could’ve easily been from a mental break. I remember setting on my couch, and I became coherent in an ER alone, completely lost. So, even if it ends up being suicide, it doesn’t mean she was aware of anything happening or what she was doing. I’m not sure how they would ever determine that. It’s very sad. I’m newer to this case: had any previous mental illness or psychiatric incidents happened before? ANYONE can have a mental break, though, without any mental illness at all. Stress really plays hard on the mind, tricking us into all kinds of behaviors we never would do if we were in control of our minds or bodies. Was she taking any medications: even benign ones? I saw insomnia mentioned. Did she even take something like Tylenol PM or benedryl? People have had bizarre behaviors if their body chemistry reacts negatively to any medications. Insomnia alone can mess with a person psychologically as well as physically. It’s much more detrimental and dangerous than a lot of people know. All absolutely JMO. (Ebm Bc I suck at grammar.)

Amen to that, StarEyes! I'm so glad you're okay!

I don’t know how driving into a storage container could be an accident. It was barely big enough for her car. Maybe she was looking for a place to commit suicide?

Yes, that is a definite possibility. This is on top of my list. It would be harder for her to be found increasing the likelihood that she will complete. :(

My heart is so sad for Marilane, and for all that she suffered, mentally and emotionally... May God use even this -- this horrible situation where a young mom leaves behind three precious children, and grieving family members -- to cause those of her faith communities to make tangible changes to how they view mental health, and those who struggle with such difficult issues.

ETA: Writing as someone with close ties to those in spiritual leadership positions who have struggled privately with mental health issues; grieving the loss of Marilane, and all the understanding that she was able to offer to so many, and so generously, too -- all while she felt mostly isolated and ignored in her own suffering.

God, give us eyes and ears to see and hear the hurting in our worlds, especially those who suffer with mental health issues. Show us how we can listen, care, and encourage them to seek professional help; use *us* to make a difference...

@Tiger Stripes thank you for this. Amen.

RIP Sweet Marilane

I haven't contributed to the thread but have followed. I appreciate all of the thoughtful ideas and conversation exchanged for Marilane. I was just hoping and praying for another better outcome. I have a heavy heart for her children and family.
JMO

Ok so I just watched the local news coverage and they specifically stated “no foul play expected”. She must have had a break. Perhaps she was looking for a place to “hide”. Time will tell how she died. Absolutely tragic. This area appears to be the area down by the big river crossing right off the interstate. On a dirt road as she reported to her mom. Goodness.

For anyone not local, Memphis WREG channel 3 was the station on the scene. They reported directly in front of the actual shipping container. More to come on the 10pm news. Absolutely tragic. My heart sinks thinking she was down there for 2+ weeks. I’m glad her family stayed in town to continue to look for her. It was her uncle who located her vehicle and he called Crittenden county AR authorities.

This sounds so weird. It seems that a shipping container in a field would be noticed and searched some time within a two week period. The uncle found her?

If the usual LE characters are in charge there I want to learn a lot more before I believe no foul play is expected.

It still seems plausible to me that someone could have given her bad directions or have followed her and got her off the highway to the truck scales area.

I hope LE has some very good investigators, better than their searchers who never opened the containers.

They should have had the mindset of looking for a car, a body, or a car and a body, and looked everywhere a thin woman like her could have been hidden.

Remember that this is the same area where the West Memphis 3 were railroaded and where LE still defends their pathetic investigation of the murders of 3 little boys.

Did no one who searched by air make note of a shipping container in a field? Please!

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member