Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go back and forth on this. I will say I don’t understand why the containers hadn’t been checked sooner if this area had been searched already. But I do lean towards this most likely being suicide or even accidental death (if Carbon monoxide is the COD). If she was unstable or paranoid I can see her thinking this would be a great place to hide or sleep. I can’t say just because she drove instead of flying means she set out to do this from the beginning. Because maybe she didn’t want to fly because of covid? So I’m not sure about that?

I will say that if she had a backup camera on her car, backing in the container would be pretty easy, imo.

I feel like if someone had forced her into the container there would be scratches and dents on the car and I didn’t see any from the video of them towing it. Plus I doubt they would leave her body. It’s just such an odd case because of the shipping container, her going in there of her own free will seems to make the most sense.

That being said I do hope it is being fully investigated. I hope that everyone is being looked into and cell phone records are looked at to determine where they were when this occurred.

I think the autopsy will shed a lot of light too. I’m not sure if that info will ever be released though, and depending on how badly her body was decomposed because of the heat, it might be hard to tell if she had any defensive wounds. It’s just a heartbreaking situation.

Last edited:
So plenty of room for MC to open the car door, especially given she was so thin.
Look at the police photo of the inside of the container with tire tracks—-only inches on each side. Her rear view mirrors were pushed in just to get inside (video of tow truck removing the car) Someone said those measurements given for the container are for the exterior. There was no way even for a thin person to get in and out of the doors, once inside.

Am just tuning in to all these threads on WS. A bit off topic, I know, but I keep going back to the gas station stop where a woman claims she gave Marilane cash because her card was declined. (Or, like I've sometimes done, inserted it improperly?) I question why it was declined--did someone put a Stop Payment on it? Later, however, she stops at a hotel and, presumably, pays beforehand? Someone in my family took his own life, which is why I can't get this family and those precious kids off my mind. Lifelong repercussions . . . :-(

Not trying to say what this was, just my opinion from what I have seen and had personal experience in... There is a time when some people with Dementia/Alzheimers function in society with only little things going wrong (locking keys in car, forgetting to get an item from the store, forgetting where you were driving to, etc.). There's a time when the person realizes they have this problem. There's a time where a person accepts this problem (sometimes after a doctor tells them). This is the critical time to prevent suicide. It doesn't have to be ambien, drugs, chemical imbalance. This is just a very normal thing that is happening in elderly and a small percentage of younger people.

He said he last spoke with M around 7:45 p.m Sunday night and the phone call dropped, yet he didn’t report her missing until 3 am—6 hours later!! In her last call with him she had to sound as rattled as she did 10-15 min later during her last call with her mom. What husband waits 6 more hours in the middle of night when his wife is clearly alone and in distress to call authorities!!!!

Shortened for point.

((First of all- The things you ask your S/O can be priceless)
Slightly OT but sometimes the best way to understand things is to use life.

So I was really confused/concerned about this too, So I messaged my fiance and asked him given the circumstance- How long would he wait to call the police when he didnt hear from me.His answer was no longer than an hour given Nobody else had heard from me either- And I can say without doubt that answer may be a pretty decent one.

I'm honestly very iffy on the husband right now but I'm not sure if its because I Just cannot make sense of this case, Or if its because i feel my Nope-o-meter going off.

I’ve wondered about this too. Years ago I was prescribed Prozac for depression. I couldn’t sleep for days, totally wired. It basically made me feel manic. Horrible to be awake and manic day after day, made me feel crazy. I guess some people can take it but some, like me, can’t.

I guess I’m wondering if she might have been on some prescription med like that and had an adverse reaction similar to what I had.

Definitely a possibility. With an SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, which are first-line in unipolar depression and anxiety) like Prozac significant activating (feeling on edge, irritable/angry, restlessness, insomnia) can be a sign of an underlying mood disorder. Mild activation is common and often transient, but when severe, a mood stabilizer, like Lamictal (if depression is the main problem) is a better choice. Mood Disorders are on a spectrum from very mild to very severe, but yes, a SSRI can definitely lead to activation of hypomania or mania.

Oh, and this is just a general comment. You may have been started on too high of a dose. That unfortunately happens way too often and can totally be cause of the symptoms you describe.

MOO.

Whatever we all think about about her mental state and who said what in the press, the medical examiner will have access to the actual doctors that treated her. So what anyone outside of LE thinks of her mental health is irrelevant.

But generally speaking, insomnia and mental health often go hand in hand. I find it ironic that so many here are speaking of the importance of taking mental health seriously, while others are dismissive because the husband was the one that brought up her mental health history. The kind of attitude expressed by the latter is exactly why people avoid seeking help for their mental health in the first place. It should not be seen as a stigma because he chose to bring it up.

@ThickBeardedDude
When a like is not enough! Well said! Love your post!

Wow this is sad and weird one. It seems like a probable suicide or a freak accident due to a mental break.

But I am with posters whose hinky meters are going off. There are a lot of things here that just don’t sit well. If her SUV truly was backed into that shipping container, then I just don’t know what to think. That does not sound like something a confused, suffering from mental issues, lost and suicidal woman would take the time to do. I’d have a real tough time backing into that on a good day! So WHY?

I can’t buy the theory she was hiding from or thought she was hiding from someone. In a panic you would just drive straight in quickly. Take the time to turn the car around and back it in to a space hardly any larger than the actual car? No. Not if you were scared. That would take time.

The facts that she was on her way to visit her family, checked in to the hotel, and ended up dead in a shipping container are too much for me to accept suicide right off the bat. I hope there is a good investigation done due to so many odd things, but considering they didn’t even think to check 3 shipping containers in a field right where her phone last pinged!!!? o_O

Am just tuning in to all these threads on WS. A bit off topic, I know, but I keep going back to the gas station stop where a woman claims she gave Marilane cash because her card was declined. (Or, like I've sometimes done, inserted it improperly?) I question why it was declined--did someone put a Stop Payment on it? Later, however, she stops at a hotel and, presumably, pays beforehand? Someone in my family took his own life, which is why I can't get this family and those precious kids off my mind. Lifelong repercussions . . . :-(
Welcome to WS, @Granna10!

Do you have a link to something saying her credit card was declined? I had not heard that. Interesting.

I was prescribed an anti depressant that actually gave me the side effect of suicidal thoughts. I remember driving my car into my garage, and just thought I would leave my car running and die. Fortunately I snapped out of it and was confused as to why I did that. I then made the even worse error of throwing them all out instead of tapering down, and it became so bad I called 911 on myself. Medications affect everyone differently. I'm fine now, and don't use meds, but that was a scary time.

It is especially tragic if she left home because of shame. Sometimes women in her position, as a pastor's wife, feel so much pressure to handle their life and maybe her husband didn't want anyone to know that she was struggling.

It's intersting that she became Catholic because my understanding is that their doctrine speaks out the strongest against suicide. More than other religions.

And finally, there are many people online who are happy to help a person do anything. She could have connected with a pro-suicide online culture and someone could have encouraged her and also told her about the containers and their location.

I wanted to share another resource that may come in handy. There is a program called "Mental Health First Aid". "Mental Health First Aid" is a course that teaches you how to help someone who may be experiencing a mental health or substance use challenge. The training helps you identify, understand and respond to signs of addictions and mental illnesses. I saw a post yesterday that somebody wondered how they could start the conversation with a coworker, but I can't find the post now...

This is a 1-day course as far as I know and is free of charge. These are listed as their course outcomes:

Mental Health First Aid is an international training program proven to be effective. Peer-reviewed studies show that individuals trained in the program:
  • Grow their knowledge of signs, symptoms and risk factors of mental illnesses and addictions.
  • Can identify multiple types of professional and self-help resources for individuals with a mental illness or addiction.
  • Increase their confidence in and likelihood to help an individual in distress.
  • Show increased mental wellness themselves.
Virtual courses will be available soon.

https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/072220_MHFA_AdultOnePager.pdf

You can learn more about Mental Health First Aid by visiting Mental Health First Aid USA - Mental Health First Aid

Whoever mentioned upthread that as her husband travelled to Birmingham in case she turned up,and have his phone pings been checked.....why? He’s not a suspect so why would police check that when they are saying it’s a probable suicide?

it really does sound like this woman decided to take her own life.

no medication problems,brothers in law involvement or anything else......she chose it herself. Her own doing. She’s being painted as some poor little woman with no control over her life,who has been wronged by these male figures, when in reality it all points to her choosing a container to hide in to end her own life. Herself.

mare LE saying her death is suspicious? I’m in the uk so not seen that.

It's intersting that she became Catholic because my understanding is that their doctrine speaks out the strongest against suicide. More than other religions.

If your husband is a Baptist pastor, isn't his wife becoming Catholic outrageous?

Wouldn't that cause huge problems (in their relationship)?

Also, women are more than capable of reversing a vehicle into a small space!!!!

would we be questioning this if she were a man??

When you look at the video I just posted and pictures of the tyre tracks inside the container, it's not so much about if a woman could do that.

It's one scary narrow box and the way the car went in (angle) and then after a single correction in a perfect straight line. That was a parking precision job.
I'm sorry but it just doesn't fit with a lost, disoriented, suicidal woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam