GUILTY NC - Cannon Hinnant, 5, fatally shot by adult neighbor at point blank, Wilson, 9 Aug 2020 *Arrests*

Its actually false that this is just now becoming newsworthy. I selected a date range of 8-8-2020 to 8-10-2020 just to make sure 8-9 was included. I did a google search for “Cannon Hinnant” and for “five year old boy shot dead north Carolina”.

The results were endless. So it is flat false that the media failed to cover this case immediately due to it not fitting some narrative. I’m not sure what narrative people are taking about but it sounds like an inference that is tinged with something offensive. Because no one can tell me what narratives this doesn't fit?

This case has gotten vastly more media coverage, right away, than many cases we see here.
It’s been all over the news since it first happened <modsnip: Referenced post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s typically the case with crimes like this (mostly local coverage) unless they’re:

1. Mass murders.
2. Killing BY a child.
3. Part of a systemic issue that’s being debated nationally.

Otherwise, children are murdered, often gruesomely, daily in our nation and most of those cases don’t get instant, national coverage. Some get no national coverage at all, ever, and no more than limited local coverage.

BBM. Well they should.

Not that it makes much difference...this is so evil no matter what the motive, but to me it would be worse if the perp did it to get back at the dad (that implies malice aforethought) versus reacting emotionally when that poor child rode his bike into the perp's yard. The outcome's the same. IMO, if a case cries out for the death penalty, this is it.
Death penalty? In NC the capital punishment is a joke.
They didn't execute anybody since 2007....

Cannon Hinnant shooting: 25-year-old has been charged in the death of 5-year-old Hinnant

200813230133-02-north-carolina-boy-killed-by-neighbor-medium-plus-169.jpg

Just saw this article below. I live about 40 miles from Wilson, NC. Wilson population is approx. 50,000;

5-Year-Old Allegedly Killed by Neighbor After Wandering Onto His Yard 'Lit Up the Room,' Says Dad

Cannon Hinnant's father said he had dinner with his son's suspected killer the night before the killing

By Chris Harris
August 14, 2020 12:05 PM
Hours before attending his son's funeral Thursday, Cannon Hinnant's father sat down with a local news station to discuss the 5-year-old's killing — allegedly at the hands of a neighbor who was angry the boy wandered onto his lawn.
[...]
"They were just playing in the yard like any other day," Hinnant explained, telling the station he was inside his house when he heard the fatal shot go off.

Hinnant ran outside, and saw Cannon on the ground.
[...]
Police say eyewitnesses to the mid-day killing told them Cannon was riding his bike when a neighbor, identified as 25-year-old Darrius Sessoms, allegedly walked up to the boy and shot him point-blank in the head.
[...]
Austin told WRAL he could see Sessoms nearby, allegedly pacing back and forth with the murder weapon still in his hand.

"I was looking at him as I was picking up Cannon," he said. "I was so full of rage, but I couldn't leave my son's side. I wanted to be with my son."

More here:
5-Year-Old Allegedly Killed by Neighbor After Wandering Onto His Yard 'Lit Up the Room,' Says Dad

Here is a Wilson County Press Release -- There are previous releases that follow what is shown below:

Wilson Police Department Press Release
Post Date:08/12/2020 10:04 PM
The Wilson Police Department has been made aware of numerous posts containing false information on social media, including some posts that look like they were releases from investigators.

Initial press release is shown at bottom of the page with each update shown in order of date/time of release.

Update #5 (08/10/20)
WILSON- Sessoms has been charged with 1st Degree Murder and received no bond. Sessoms was located inside a residence in Goldsboro NC. The Wilson Police Department would like to thank the US Marshals’ Carolinas Violent Fugitive Task Force, Goldsboro Police Department, and Wayne County Sherriff’s Dept. for their assistance in apprehending Sessoms.

The Wilson Police Department is encouraging anyone with information regarding this case to contact the Wilson Police Department at 252-399-2323 or Crime Stoppers at 252-243-2255.

---------------------------
More:
News List | Wilson, NC

Death penalty? In NC the capital punishment is a joke.
They didn't execute anybody since 2007....

My research indicates the following, but what's the difference, really :cool: --

The last person executed in North Carolina was Samuel Flippen, who was put to death on Aug. 18, 2006 for the murder of his 2-year-old stepdaughter.Dec 20, 2013

History of Capital Punishment in North Carolina - NC DPS
upload_2020-8-14_18-14-56.pngwww.ncdps.gov › adult-corrections › prisons › death-penalty › history
----------------------------
One thing I will add, however, is that in NC, there are only 2 penalties for 1st Degree Murder -- Death and Life Without Parole. And LWOP is absolutely life without parole -- No such thing for 1st Degree such as "40 years to life," etc. No parole, no nothing. Of course it can be appealed.

Darius Sessoms has a prison record with the NC Dept of Public Safety:

NC DPS Offender Public Information

Looks like in 2015 he was caught with a stolen gun and got a suspended sentence, but then he was caught with some marijuana and that was a parole violation so he served a few months. Then in 2016 there are a couple more marijuana-related charges that resulted in no jail time.

That was all almost 4 years ago, and marijuana is hardly the type of drug to make someone go on a drug-fueled shooting spree. But maybe he got into other stuff and just wasn't caught. I'm not sure what other than drugs, alcohol, or a psychotic break would make someone do this.

Cannon Hinnant's father says the suspect was a neighbor for eight years - CNN

I just don't understand why things like this have to happen and especially to children it's just unbelievable. Based on the way the shooter is described as acting in this article I would be led to believe that maybe he had some kind of mental break. I can't imagine a person in their right mind would do something like this to a child.

At least, in this situation the shooter is incarcerated NOW and likely to remain so.

Obviously doesn't help the child's family or neighbors, but should help us, watching from a distance.

JMHO YMMV LRR
Honestly I wouldn't bet on it....
He has many strings on his bow....
1) North Carolina has de facto abolished the death penalty;
2) life without parole seems to be against "human rights" and maybe in the near future may be abolished;
<modsnip: inappropriate>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hinnant said he has lived next door to Sessoms and his parents for eight years and even had him over for dinner on Saturday.

"The Lord says to love our neighbor. I have plenty of food to go around. I just wanted to be nice," Hinnant said, noting that he and Sessoms sat on his porch and drank beer.

He said he had never had any confrontations with Sessoms.

"There wasn't anything between me and him, any bad blood whatsoever, for him to have a reason to do this," he said.

Father of slain 5-year-old: 'Everybody loved Cannon. He lit up the room' :: WRAL.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back