Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
A daughter’s choice: Her mom didn’t have COVID-19. But isolation seemed to be killing her. — The Washington Post

“For approximately 2.5 million elderly Americans in long-term care, the threats posed by the coronavirus are twofold: rampant deaths and an unprecedented era of isolation.

Visitors were banned at long-term care facilities nationwide in mid-March, and communal dining and activities were mostly canceled. While those changes may have been necessary to slow the spread of the virus, medical experts say they proved devastating for the mental and physical health of residents, particularly the more than 40 percent who have Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia at such facilities.”
———————-
Oh my gosh, I can relate to this situation with my parents and the feelings of insufficiency regarding their care.
Everyone is struggling to make it through these uncertain days ahead.

Yes, the first known Sturgis cases are in Nebraska.

Nevada has its own situation for sure, though.

Here in California, there's no way that contact tracers (few in number, poorly resourced) are finding out everywhere that an infected person went and warning them, even though in theory it is possible.

Nor in Utah or Colorado either (where I know patients personally). My cousin almost certainly got CoVid at work (he just turned 70, no underlying conditions except age) but no one ever contacted him about where else he might have been. He went to several places in the days before he became symptomatic.

My friend's brother (the one who was sent home with a court order to stay at home for 14 days) got just that - legal papers and a test result, no one contacted him nor took info about where he had been. He isn't being super-forthcoming about where he thinks he got it, either. That's in Utah. He is 60, no underlying conditions, has a moderate case of CoVid and lives an highly social life. He's been *lots* of places and been close to lots of people right before getting CV.

It's funny how every time I mention my keeping track of my activities in case contact tracing is needed, it devolves into a discussion about the smartphone apps.

Personally, I think of my log as an awareness/consciousness exercise. Even if I had a smartphone and used whatever app is out there, I would still keep a log because my own notes are always going to have some contextual, memory-boosting information that an app wouldn't know.

It's true, there are plenty of places, even in California, where people don't have smartphones, or wouldn't use an app like that even if they did.

We fairly frequently get announcements that say if you have been "in Crossroads pub/another specific location between 6th and 12th August please get tested" or "at so-and-so gym between 4 & 6pm on Wednesday 9th July please get tested".

I'm glad to know that is happening in some places. I shouldn't assume it's not just because I haven't heard of it.

(My Smartphone works via my internet broadband land line as there is no cell phone signal where I live.)
I assume this is only true physically at your home as opposed to when you are out and about in your community?

It's funny how every time I mention my keeping track of my activities in case contact tracing is needed, it devolves into a discussion about the smartphone apps.

Personally, I think of my log as an awareness/consciousness exercise. Even if I had a smartphone and used whatever app is out there, I would still keep a log because my own notes are always going to have some contextual, memory-boosting information that an app wouldn't know.

It's true, there are plenty of places, even in California, where people don't have smartphones, or wouldn't use an app like that even if they did.

I'm glad to know that is happening in some places. I shouldn't assume it's not just because I haven't heard of it.

I assume this is only true physically at your home as opposed to when you are out and about in your community?

I am following the case of Covid for the 14 year old girl in Teton County, Montana. Because, they are still trying to figure out how this girl got exposed to Covid. She lives on a ranch, no one in her family has Covid, only one other case in the community, not related to her. Very interesting.

I'm sorry, I am not sure what you are asking.

If it is about community transmission, we definitely have transmission from stranger to stranger out in the community.

Diners in NSW (socially distanced in restaurants), workplaces in Victoria (supermarkets and such), and other examples.
All of these places have the necessary hand sanitiser at the doors and on the counters, sanitising wipes to wipe down your shopping cart/basket handles, and marked out places on the floor for social distancing. Dining tables must be a certain distance apart.

Requirements were set before businesses were allowed to reopen after lockdown.

But complacency is said to be the leading cause of community transmission. So, many of us stand back and wait while someone picks out their perfect bunch of broccoli, or looks at all the types of canned tomatoes available before they choose what they want.

Last edited:
I also wanted to add my own interpretation of the "NZ cases vs the Sturgis cases" topic.

I think the NZ cases are a concern only because they had appeared to have suppressed the virus in an airtight way, so the appearance of even a few cases means it's not actually airtight.

The Sturgis cases are IMO a bigger concern -- because first off, this may only be the tip of the iceberg. Give it another month to know for sure how many cases it produced.

Second, the population of Nebraska or South Dakota isn't relevant. The Sturgis cases are not the only cases those states have had recently, are they?

Sturgis is not a state, nor even a city. It was one event, held in a very small town. One very large event, one that brought together people from all over who are now dispersing back to all over, which has the potential for massive impact.

The amount of conscious defiance and denial and ignorance shown by the festival administration and attendees holds a much more ominous potential (in my opinion) than even the same number of cases in a country that is doing everything right and just hasn't completely eradicated it yet.

IMO MOO

I'm sorry, I am not sure what you are asking.

If it is about community transmission, we definitely have transmission from stranger to stranger out in the community.

Diners in NSW (socially distanced in restaurants), workplaces in Victoria (supermarkets and such), and other examples.
All of these places have the necessary hand sanitiser at the doors and on the counters, sanitising wipes to wipe down your shopping cart/basket handles, and marked out places on the floor for social distancing. Dining tables must be a certain distance apart.

Requirements were set before businesses were allowed to reopen after lockdown.

But complacency is said to be the leading cause of community transmission. So, many of us stand back and wait while someone picks out their perfect bunch of broccoli, or looks at all the types of canned tomatoes available before they choose what they want.

The second part of my quote was in response to tresir, about his/her home/community not having cell service.

Unrelated to my response to you which was just a thanks for making me aware that alerts to people about exposure from being in a certain public place where someone was later found to be positive, is indeed happening in some arras.

37 Places You’re Most Likely to Catch Coronavirus | Eat This Not That

I thought this was a very interesting article: it rates 37 activities/places and risk involved in contracting the virus. I was shocked that going to the hair dresser is considered a moderate risk (7) with 9 being the highest risk. going to the hair dresser, even with masks, is on the same risk level as playing football!!! i go to the hair salon every couple weeks and honestly i have never assessed the risk that high. now i am freaking out. They recommend having the stylist come to your home.

Waiting in a doctor's office is rated as 4 and it is suggested you wait in your car. I have visited a couple docs and i waited in the waiting room. hmmmm

This is a great list and some of it may surprise you as far as risk is concerned: i printed it.

A daughter’s choice: Her mom didn’t have COVID-19. But isolation seemed to be killing her. — The Washington Post

“For approximately 2.5 million elderly Americans in long-term care, the threats posed by the coronavirus are twofold: rampant deaths and an unprecedented era of isolation.

Visitors were banned at long-term care facilities nationwide in mid-March, and communal dining and activities were mostly canceled. While those changes may have been necessary to slow the spread of the virus, medical experts say they proved devastating for the mental and physical health of residents, particularly the more than 40 percent who have Alzheimer’s or other forms of dementia at such facilities.”
———————-
Oh my gosh, I can relate to this situation with my parents and the feelings of insufficiency regarding their care.
Everyone is struggling to make it through these uncertain days ahead.
Modern senior facilities have been constructed so residents safely enter from a common front door, walk through common areas, then enter their apartment. Common areas where there was once gatherings and entertainment have closed. Common dining areas now offer delivery to apartments. No open library. Residents encouraged to stay in their apartments, and many of these senior facilities are closed to visitors. No one could have ever predicted.

I did a search for French Polynesia as I knew I’d seen it mentioned on these threads fairly recently. It was a post by @human on 4th August:

“How can things change? We don’t have to guess. We have real live examples of how covid was handled to stop it. look at New Zealand, French Polynesia, Vietnam and New Caledonia. Severe lockdown for two months. Finished. Free!“

I’ve just spotted on Worldometers that French Polynesia has had a huge case increase, from eradication to nearly 300 in the last couple of weeks (now at approx 1 case per 1000 people) What has happened there? I guess it only takes one asymptomatic or untested person to come ashore, and it all starts spreading again.

So sad this virus continues raising it’s ugly head, even on the world’s most beautiful islands :(

Last edited:
Modern senior facilities have been constructed so residents safely enter from a common front door, walk through common areas, then enter their apartment. Common areas where there was once gatherings and entertainment have closed. Common dining areas now offer delivery to apartments. No open library. Residents encouraged to stay in their apartments, and many of these senior facilities are closed to visitors. No one could have ever predicted.
There is a huge aged care facility near me, with all levels of care, from self catering villas right through the gamut to full time care for the bedridden.
They locked down early had shoppers buy and deliver groceries and prescriptions for the self catering people and have not had one case.
I spoke to a woman that I know who is a nurse there and she told me that they change out of their uniforms and they are washed in very hot water to put on for the next shift. They used to wear their uniforms home and launder them themselves.

I also wanted to add my own interpretation of the "NZ cases vs the Sturgis cases" topic.

I think the NZ cases are a concern only because they had appeared to have suppressed the virus in an airtight way, so the appearance of even a few cases means it's not actually airtight.

The Sturgis cases are IMO a bigger concern -- because first off, this may only be the tip of the iceberg. Give it another month to know for sure how many cases it produced.

Second, the population of Nebraska or South Dakota isn't relevant. The Sturgis cases are not the only cases those states have had recently, are they?

Sturgis is not a state, nor even a city. It was one event, held in a very small town. One very large event, one that brought together people from all over who are now dispersing back to all over, which has the potential for massive impact.

The amount of conscious defiance and denial and ignorance shown by the festival administration and attendees holds a much more ominous potential (in my opinion) than even the same number of cases in a country that is doing everything right and just hasn't completely eradicated it yet.

IMO MOO

What seems absolutely morally reprehensible to me, is that the organizers of Sturgis, could have done the socially responsible thing, and chosen to not have the motorcycle gathering this year. As SO many other people have done, sacrificing financial gain, over doing the right thing.

Sturgis organizers get the blue loser raspberry prize. Greed over social responsibility.

What seems absolutely morally reprehensible to me, is that the organizers of Sturgis, could have done the socially responsible thing, and chosen to not have the motorcycle gathering this year. As SO many other people have done, sacrificing financial gain, over doing the right thing.

Sturgis organizers get the blue loser raspberry prize. Greed over social responsibility.
But they had plenty of willing accomplices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
translator