Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #76

Status
Not open for further replies.
In North Alabama, our kids went back to school August 7th. They had a choice of virtual or in person. The majority chose in person. My 14 year old was more than ready to go back.

They hav assigned seating everywhere. PE, bus, lunchroom, classroom. And they wear masks. There is random temperature checks.

She is in classrooms with up to 20 other students. So far no surge but the schools are very cautious. If a student has any symptoms the are quarantined and all students around them are too. Once the original kids brings a doctors note that he/she does not have the virus, all the kids come back.

One class went from 20 kids to 9 and is now back to 20. No cases have been found yet.

My county has 1500 current cases. The next county over (where everyone works lol) has around 6000 cases.

Thats what my local county school system is doing.

Looks like they may be going to pay the price now.

Over the last two weeks South Dakota's new daily cases have grown by about 43%. And Sturgis plans to mass test its residents next week to try to stem a possible spread of the virus from the rally.

Some who attended Sturgis motorcycle event have coronavirus, South Dakota officials say

NBC News: Minnesota becomes 3rd state with coronavirus cases linked to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Coronavirus cases linked to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally now found in Minnesota, 2 other states

Dear God.

It's interesting how some states are okay with the on again/off again learning that occurs when groups of students are sent home to quarantine - for however many days it takes until 1 or more of them gets test results.

The anxiety for parents, not knowing if the school will be open the next day or the next week, must be considerable (for those who like an organized life).

Kids from organized families do better in school and I suspect that there will be differences between classes who manage to go a month without disruption and those classes that get sent home for any number of days - but especially those where a kid tests positive and then everyone else has to go get tested.

But of course, parents know best and if that's what they choose, it is certainly better than no school at all. I have a strong feeling that this school year will emphasize sociality and repeated iterations of rules about social distancing.

While it may be a hard path for some states (lots more CoVid with the schools open), it will certainly put them on the road to a more Sweden style set of outcomes (more deaths among the elderly, high positivity rates leading to a version of herd immunity).

Teachers have to be very brave in these circumstances. So the parents if it's their kid who gets CV-19. Kids seem to pass it readily to each other, and under 14's do it mostly asymptomatically.

I doubt that most parents will wear masks around their own kids.

This is very interesting to me! Is this why Southern California (where I live) with its hot temps and low humidity is having a rough time controlling the outbreaks?

Indoor Airborne Transmission of COVID-19 Strongly Influenced by Humidity: Study | The Weather Channel

”If the relative humidity of indoor air is below 40 percent, the particles emitted by infected people absorb less water, remain lighter, fly further through the room and are more likely to be inhaled by healthy people," Ahlawat said.

"In addition, dry air also makes the mucous membranes in our noses dry and more permeable to viruses," he added.

The new findings are particularly important for the upcoming winter season in the northern hemisphere when millions of people will be staying in heated rooms. "Heating the fresh air also ensures that it dries. In cold and temperate climate zones, therefore, the indoor climate is usually very dry during the heating season. This could encourage the spread of coronaviruses," the authors

It's interesting how some states are okay with the on again/off again learning that occurs when groups of students are sent home to quarantine - for however many days it takes until 1 or more of them gets test results.

The anxiety for parents, not knowing if the school will be open the next day or the next week, must be considerable (for those who like an organized life).

Kids from organized families do better in school and I suspect that there will be differences between classes who manage to go a month without disruption and those classes that get sent home for any number of days - but especially those where a kid tests positive and then everyone else has to go get tested.

But of course, parents know best and if that's what they choose, it is certainly better than no school at all. I have a strong feeling that this school year will emphasize sociality and repeated iterations of rules about social distancing.

While it may be a hard path for some states (lots more CoVid with the schools open), it will certainly put them on the road to a more Sweden style set of outcomes (more deaths among the elderly, high positivity rates leading to a version of herd immunity).

Teachers have to be very brave in these circumstances. So the parents if it's their kid who gets CV-19. Kids seem to pass it readily to each other, and under 14's do it mostly asymptomatically.

Here any child that quarantined has google classroom and zoom to keep up with lessons. Generally 3 days.

Also whole classrooms don't get sent home. Only the 1 child with symptoms and the children sitting directly around them. 5 kids total.

So far the only kids that have tested positive in my county (not our school) were 4 football players that probably caught it during summer practice since the first tested positive after 1 day of school.

Watching several of the zoom classes for the first grader - I just don’t see how it’s going to work long term to provide education.
It made me sad.

I agree. Last year (March until May) when schools first closed, learning was an absolute joke. It was all online.

Flu season is going to be a nightmare. Heck, allergy season is freaking people out. At work, I had 5 guys this pay period qurantined (awaiting test results) because they had symptoms. None of them were positive but coughing, sneezing, fevers from sinus infections ect. are pretty common in August in the south.

This is very interesting to me! Is this why Southern California (where I live) with its hot temps and low humidity is having a rough time controlling the outbreaks?

Indoor Airborne Transmission of COVID-19 Strongly Influenced by Humidity: Study | The Weather Channel

It's definitely playing a role. I think dependence on A/C is driving a lot of the spread in Riverside, San Bernardino, Imperial Counties - plus the whole of the Central Valley including Sacramento.

In Madera County, ~2% of the county now has CoVid, 752 official active cases, public health studies say it's probably more like 1500 active cases. This has happened very rapidly for them. Of those 3339 cases, 49 have died. ~1.5%. For Madera, the average age of patients has been lower than elsewhere, which is probably why the death rate is slightly lower. But lots of sick people, nearly all of them needing to work in the tourist industry.

If doctors and nurses are going to work with CoVid (and they know it), I imagine motel workers and fast food workers and grocery store workers do, as well.

For every mile that people live away from interstates like the 5 and the 99, there's less CoVid, so that's a factor too. Mariposa County (even closer to Yosemite, very small population) is just now experiencing its first wave. Only one-half of a percent of their population has tested positive.

Yosemite Valley itself was over 100F yesterday and very very dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong