Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

Lets presume she had a brain injury. So where is she?
In no particular order:

1. Wandered into wilderness (in which case likely died of exposure)
2. Hospital (I would imagine the family or LE have checked nearby hospitals)
3. Suffering from some form of amnesia/not in danger but unable to remember who she is (unlikely due to degree of coverage her case has received and limited means to travel far from crash)
5. Met with foul play (restrained or dead)
6. Died from other accident (e.g., car accident or fall) (car accident unlikely, as no remains on/near road or 911 call)

Last edited by a moderator:
In no particular order:

1. Wandered into wilderness (in which case likely died of exposure)
2. Hospital (I would imagine the family or LE have checked nearby hospitals)
3. Suffering from some form of amnesia/not in danger but unable to remember who she is (unlikely due to degree of coverage her case has received and limited means to travel far from crash)
5. Met with foul play (restrained or dead)
6. Died from other accident (e.g., car accident or fall) (car accident unlikely, as no remains on/near road or 911 call)

My mind does keep wandering into foul play with this--even if she had a brain injury, even if she had global dissociative amnesia (which is rare and unlikely in situations where humans can speak or move)--I feel like there are so many red flags here which suggest she has been harmed.

Her social media posts sound like those of a creative single mom trying to juggle raising a child with running a business and imagining a future for herself. She doesn't sound unstable or at risk based on her comments and posts--she sounds like someone who wishes she had time for a yoga class and kayak trip. :( I just a bad sense about this case.

My mind does keep wandering into foul play with this--even if she had a brain injury, even if she had global dissociative amnesia (which is rare and unlikely in situations where humans can speak or move)--I feel like there are so many red flags here which suggest she has been harmed.

Her social media posts sound like those of a creative single mom trying to juggle raising a child with running a business and imagining a future for herself. She doesn't sound unstable or at risk based on her comments and posts--she sounds like someone who wishes she had time for a yoga class and kayak trip. :( I just a bad sense about this case.
I left out voluntary disappearance and suicide, since the predicate was “what if she was suffering from a brain injury,” but it’s tough to know what someone is going through. I haven’t read enough of her social media to get a feel for it (I heard she deleted her FB), but suicides aren’t always easy to predict. I think foul play is certainly a possibility, but I’m unwilling to rule out suicide or voluntary disappearance.

New video shows many views of the exterior and interior of her car. Also mentions that her camp gear was found at a campsite in Jumbo Rocks campground.
Twentynine Palms towing company gives a first look at Erika Lloyd’s mysteriously damaged car – KESQ

View attachment 261389

Thanks for that.

Interesting that the left front tire is not deflated. It would appear to have been driveable in that state if high ground clearance wasn't needed. At first glance, it appears the engine might be OK, if the radiator is not badly damaged.

Important that it appears to establish that she did get to a campsite at Indian Rocks and set up camp.

That would negate her being so injured from an accident that she wanders off the highway or is abducted, from the highway.

I think this gives two possibilities:

1. She wandered off in Joshua Tree NP and just not yet been found.

2. Her vehicle did suffer some street damage, but she was able to make it to the campsite. Perhaps someone offered her assistance - "Let me drive you to a garage where you can arrange a tow and repair" or something like that and actually abducted her. In that case, I fear her remains are buried in the desert like the McStay family. This would also imply a perp would be a local.

If the vehicle was driveable enough to get her to the campsite, it might be driveable enough for a perp to drive it out to the site it was eventually found and vandalize it some more just as a diversion.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Interesting that the left front tire is not deflated. It would appear to have been driveable in that state if high ground clearance wasn't needed. At first glance, it appears the engine might be OK, if the radiator is not badly damaged.

Important that it appears to establish that she did get to a campsite at Indian Rocks and set up camp.

That would negate her being so injured from an accident that she wanders off the highway or is abducted, from the highway.

I think this gives two possibilities:

1. She wandered off in Joshua Tree NP and just not yet been found.

2. Her vehicle did suffer some street damage, but she was able to make it to the campsite. Perhaps someone offered her assistance - "Let me drive you to a garage where you can arrange a tow and repair" or something like that and actually abducted her. In that case, I fear her remains are buried in the desert like the McStay family. This would also imply a perp would be a local.

If the vehicle was driveable enough to get her to the campsite, it might be driveable enough for a perp to drive it out to the site it was eventually found and vandalize it some more just as a diversion.

I think she came back to her car. Drove it until it broke down, and got stuck in the sand. (Where it was found a second time.) From there she disappeared. Why she didn't seek help or just simply walked along the road is the possible flaw in this scenario. But then again we don't know her state of mind.

It's just the question from where she disappeared, that could narrow down a search grid. Problem is when exactly did the car broke down, I think when it was driven after being vandalized.

I don't think the stranger abduction scenario played out. Her car being moved by a possible perp with the risk of being spotted also has to many movements. Same for her remains being buried. Those stranger abductions rarely have been the case.

I think she came back to her car. Drove it until it broke down, and got stuck in the sand. (Where it was found a second time.) From there she disappeared. Why she didn't seek help or just simply walked along the road is the possible flaw in this scenario. But then again we don't know her state of mind.

It's just the question from where she disappeared, that could narrow down a search grid. Problem is when exactly did the car broke down, I think when it was driven after being vandalized.

I don't think the stranger abduction scenario played out. Her car being moved by a possible perp with the risk of being spotted also has to many movements. Same for her remains being buried. Those stranger abductions rarely have been the case.

That does make some sense.

Damages car on roadway but able to drive it to Indian Cove Campground in JTNP and set up camp.

Tries to drive it into 29 Palms to get groceries and it breaks down further?

But why not call family for help, or a tow company, or ask another camper for assistance?

That does make some sense.

Damages car on roadway but able to drive it to Indian Cove Campground in JTNP and set up camp.

Tries to drive it into 29 Palms to get groceries and it breaks down further?

But why not call family for help, or a tow company, or ask another camper for assistance?
Wonder if she had a way to recharge her cell phone or if damage to the car made that impossible?

Do we know if the car damage happened before she arrived at the campground or at the campground? What ever happened to that statement by LE that they had found her campsite? (See Walnut Creek mom missing since June trip to Joshua Tree)

“The vehicle was damaged before leaving the park," said Detective Alan Pennington of the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department, "and there was minor damage to the undercarriage where it was disabled, the vehicle had broken down." ...

"We know she alone going to the park and alone inside the park, we have evidence of that." ...

Her tent and other camping gear were left behind at her campsite.”

And I still find it hard to believe a side mirror is completely smashed out and, in particular, a radio is smashed from a front-end collision. Still leaning toward vandalism.

Do we know if the car damage happened before or after she arrived at the campground? What ever happened to that statement by LE that they had found her campsite? (See Walnut Creek mom missing since June trip to Joshua Tree)

And I still find it hard to believe a side mirror is completely smashed out and, in particular, a radio is smashed from a front-end collision. Still leaning toward vandalism.

I agree that collision isn’t enough. It sounds like both collision and vandalism took place from description. Which complicates any single narrative but definitely makes head injury induced amnesia less likely in situation where she could drive. Thinking of her son today. :(

This vehicle has not been in a terrible accident. Just the lower air dam as if it hit a rock or curb.
Scenario. MOO. Vandals spot unoccupied vehicle in the park. Smash windshield and rear window then leave. Car thieves drive through and see vandalized Honda. This is a dream come true for a car thief. They know the owner is not around or it wouldn’t be vandalized. Plus it’s a Honda. They’re easy. Steal it for a joyride. Trash it. Drive it to a quiet dirt road off the highway, call their friend to come get them, turn around facing the highway to wait for their ride.
As for Erika? Still unknown of course.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire