Found Deceased AR - Sydney Sutherland, 25, Jackson Co., went for a jog, 19 Aug 2020 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slain Arkansas jogger, 25, was raped and buried by local farmer: police

Additional link
This one states she was buried.

An Arkansas nurse who disappeared while jogging last week was kidnapped, raped, murdered and buried by a local farmer, police said during a court hearing on Monday, according to multiple reports.

He reportedly confessed to her killing when authorities questioned him about Sutherland’s disappearance.

Sutherland’s family was present at the courthouse during the brief hearing that failed to address how the nurse died. The judge, however, did find cause to charge Lewellyn, who was ordered to be held without bond until his arraignment on Oct. 1.

I was listening to this again this morning. If I remember right it was at 1 pm. I believe her body was found between 2 and 3 if I remember right. I knew when I listened and watched that the Chief was deeply impacted.

Listening again I noticed he indicated they were working several leads. In the very next sentence he mentioned the help of all agencies including ASP. I can’t help but think now, he knew that Quake was being interviewed by the ASP already. It will be interesting to see the timing.

I was thinking this morning that this press conference could have been how they distracted all of us and the media while they headed to conduct the search. I think the sheriff definitely knew at the time.

I was thinking this morning that this press conference could have been how they distracted all of us and the media while they headed to conduct the search. I think the sheriff definitely knew at the time.
I thought he knew too. I remember his face and how troubled he seemed, more so that presser than the others. I thought they had found some of her belongings and concluded she wasn't with us anymore. Now I think he knew but didn't "know" the details and they were in the process of locating her.

In the blink of an eye, a gasp of breath and she's gone - the circumstances of this killing are horrible. Our young women just are not safe - it's either their boyfriends, their husbands, their acquaintances or complete strangers - WS has seen too many of these twenty something killings (and 30, 40, 50,60 etc.)
JMO
No one is ever completely safe. All we can do is know our odds and hope that our number doesn't come up.

I had already seen the rumors when the sheriff made the press conference. QL was already in custody.
I believe they had started to search his property. I believe they had found the backhoe and dirt disturbance nearby. I think he knew he was cornered and the story of the hit and panic was just the first thing he could think to say. I think with more prying in the safety of the police headquarters he confessed to more.
His booking photo his expression looks like a man that just realized the severity and repercussions of his actions. He actually looks like deer in the headlights to me.
I’m still on the fence on whether this is his first crime of this nature to this severity. I imagine with his mom marrying into a family with a good reputation and money has helped hide some of his previous crimes. This does seem like an impulsive crime and Unorganized which makes me think it’s his first. His quick confession also supports this. But he could have done it before and pure dumb luck allowed him to get away with it.

In the blink of an eye, a gasp of breath and she's gone - the circumstances of this killing are horrible. Our young women just are not safe - it's either their boyfriends, their husbands, their acquaintances or complete strangers - WS has seen too many of these twenty something killings (and 30, 40, 50,60 etc.)
JMO
So true. Devastating and completely senseless.

RIP lovely young woman. I am so sorry you were ripped from life and the people who love you!

It said he was a farmer, so he probably had heavy equipment on his farm (backhoe, bobcat, etc.) so even if it wasn't already dug he could have dug it in a very short time.

Right and he had about 5 hours before she was reported missing. She was last seen around 3:00 by the ups driver and I think it was around 7:30-8:00 when I got the first alert from the local news station that she was missing.

Also - this is probably bad timing on my part but I watched the movie The Torment of Laurie Ann Cullom (2014) for the first time last night. Despite the low budget and filming faults, it sends the message across in a very blunt way: all women need to be prepared for self defense at all time, regardless if they are SA survivors or not. And I kept thinking about Sydney during the whole movie.

Maybe but the Sheriff later said he was at the site of the found body when QL was arrested. So maybe he went out there after the press conference

From the booking photos and the videos there doesn’t appear to to be a mark on him.
So it’s either that or she hoped giving him what he wanted would spare her life. Which doesn’t bear thinking about. MOO
I’m not sure so let me know what you all think but when I blew up his picture it appears he does have some scratch marks around his mouth chin area. I sure hope it is just hair but I think SS Might have fought for her life:(

Attachments

• B7C314F5-4BB1-4F62-9F40-80F1DBEEEA08.jpeg
    B7C314F5-4BB1-4F62-9F40-80F1DBEEEA08.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 180
I’m not sure so let me know what you all think but when I blew up his picture it appears he does have some scratch marks around his mouth chin area. I sure hope it is just hair but I think SS Might have fought for her life:(

I hate that his disgusting mug was the last thing she saw :(.

We need to do a better job of teaching our boys to grow into men who do not feel entitled to rape women!

Sharing my timeline with only the facts as reported by MSM:

August 19:
SS disappeared on Aug 19 while jogging in the area of State Hwy 18 between Newport and Grubbs which was near her home. She reportedly had her phone with her when she left home. Sheriff Lucas reported a UPS called in that SS was sighted between 2:30 - 3pm on Jackson County Road 41, and this was the last solid lead.

August 20:
SS's phone was found about a quarter-mile from her home and HWY 67. There was no damage to her phone. Speculation that SS was hit by a car was discounted by Sheriff David Lucas because there was no evidence this occurred. The search for SS was suspended for the night for safety reasons.

August 21:
When contacted by a reporter in the early morning, Sheriff Lucas reported no new information developed overnight, and a press conference was scheduled for 1 pm.

A crew was reported seen searching in the general area around County Roads 41, 42, and 43 near Hwy 18.

At midmorning, Sheriff Lucas reported he had a meeting with Arkansas State Police in Newport. They compared case notes, confirming all investigators were on the same page.

The Jackson County Emergency Management asked for volunteers to help search after there were visibly fewer cars at the command center.

Shortly before the press conference, law enforcement agencies reportedly closed down County Roads 41 and 49. There were unconfirmed reports that a bracelet might have been found. During the presser, cars were reported arriving at the command center, and Law enforcement agencies requested Highway 18 to be cleared at this time.

Around 2 pm, Sheriff David Lucas confirmed that a body had been located. He did not confirm that it was SS’s.

A short time later, in a Facebook post, the parents of SS’s boyfriend, Alex, confirmed that the body found Friday was that of SS’s, and that an arrest has been made.

Fueled by the family's announcement, media began announcing the recovery of SS's body causing the Sheriff to contact a local news agency to reiterate that he did not and has not confirmed the body they found is SS's. He said it's too early to be confirmed - doesn't want to make any mistakes in this investigation.

Sheriff Lucas also confirmed that no arrest of the suspect's family made, after rampant social media rumors.

August 22:

Although social media had already named the suspect on August 21, reporters began tweeting that QL had been arrested and charged in the murder of SS, citing a source close to Region 8 News. (QL's age was incorrectly being reported as 25).

Later, Sheriff Lucas formerly announced QL arrested & booked into the Jackson County Jail in connection to the death of SS, and his age correct as 28. Sheriff Lucas also announced QL was also scheduled to have a first appearance in the Jackson County Circuit Court on Monday, Aug. 24, at 2P

Over the weekend, Sheriff David Lucas told reporters that QL and SS knew each other, but did not elaborate further on their alleged link. QL was also reported a member of the Facebook group that was set up to find SS after she went missing. There's no confirmation that QL actually participated in any organized search efforts.

August 23:
The Arkansas State Medical Examiner in Little Rock has confirmed that the body found Friday in Jackson County is that of 25-year-old Sydney Sutherland, according to Jackson County Sheriff David Lucas. Positive identification was obtained by DNA.

August 24:
Quake Lewellyn appeared before Judge Erin for a probable cause hearing at 2pm. An ASP agent has took the stand and testified that Lewellyn admitted to seeing Sutherland walking on CR 41. He then turned around and abducted her. He took her to [3 miles] farmland and sexually assaulted her then buried her body.

Judge Erin ordered no bond for Lewellyn and set his arraignment for October 1 where Lewellyn is expected to be formally charged with capital murder, kidnapping, and rape. He will appear in Jackson County Circuit Court.

After the hearing, Lewellyn was transported to the Randolph County Jail where he will remain held.

After the Monday hearing, Prosecuting Attorney Henry Boyce spoke to the media and said there are lots of unanswered questions that must be confirmed before charges are formally filed.

“A lot of people do not understand that an arrest can be made, and a person can be put in jail without actually being formally charged,” Boyce said. “Charges are based upon the discretion and the decision of the prosecuting attorney office. It’s solely within my discretion frankly to decide what charges are born forth by the proof that the police and the sheriff’s office has gathered in support of our case.”

Prosecutor Boyce also issued the reminder that there is still no cause of death.

Jurnee Taylor@_JurneeTaylor
#MISSINGPERSON: Sydney Sutherland is 5'3, 103 lbs, brown with blond hair. She was last seen jogging in the area of State Hwy 18 between Newport and Grubbs at approximately 3 PM today. If you have any information regarding her location, contact the Jackson County Sheriff's Dept.

7:51 PM · Aug 19, 2020·

Lucas says at this point they do not have any solid leads other than her being sighted yesterday afternoon. He says they are working with authorities in neighboring counties such as Jonesboro PD and the Poinsett County Sheriffs office to track the places she visited yesterday.

[..]

A UPS driver contacted the department saying he saw her yesterday around 2:30-3 pm on Jackson Co. Road 41. Sydney did have her phone and they have contacted AT&T.
9:40 AM · Aug 20, 2020 from Jonesboro, AR·

#UPDATE Jackson County officials are asking for anyone who may have traveled on HWY 67 between 2-5pm, on Wednesday (8/19) to give them a call at 870-523-5842. If you saw anything “remotely suspicious” please let them know.
@Region8News
4:57 PM · Aug 20, 2020

#UPDATE: Sydney Sutherland’s cellphone has been located. According to Jackson County Sheriff David Lucas, her phone had no damage to it and was found about a quarter mile from her home and HWY 67. The search has been suspended for the night because of safety reasons.
6:58 PM · Aug 20, 2020 from Arkansas, USA·

Sheriff Lucas says after finding her phone, they are confident that she was not hit by a car b/c of lack of evidence As far as abduction, he says “we have a 25-year-old young lady out there somewhere & we are not ruling anything out. We’re not going to leave anything unturned.”
7:06 PM · Aug 20, 2020

Logan Whaley@LoganWhaleyKAIT
I just got off the phone with Sheriff David Lucas. Here’s what I was told. —A press conference is being planned for 1:00 at the Sheriff’s Office. —No new information since last night. —A crew is searching in the general area around County Roads 41, 42, and 43 near Hwy 18.
9:14 AM · Aug 21, 2020·

Sheriff Lucas has been meeting with officials with the Arkansas State Police in Newport this morning.
9:15 AM · Aug 21, 2020

Jackson County Emergency Management is asking for volunteers to help search for Sydney. There are notably less cars at the command center today than yesterday.
10:43 AM · Aug 21, 2020

Sheriff David Lucas is leading the press conference again today. He says the 8:30 am meeting with all agencies involved revolved around going over case notes. He says that is key in making sure they are all on the same page.

11:12 AM · Aug 21, 2020 from Jonesboro, AR·Twitter for iPhone

Law enforcement agencies have closed down County Roads 41 and 49. We’re waiting to confirm, but we’ve been hearing that a bracelet might have been found.
12:29 PM · Aug 21, 2020

Newport and Tuckerman’s Fire Dept. have arrived to the command center. More cars are here now than this morning

12:34 PM · Aug 21, 2020

Law enforcement agencies are requesting Highway 18 to be cleared at this time.
1:06 PM · Aug 21, 2020

Whaley@LoganWhaleyKAIT
#BREAKING: Sheriff David Lucas has confirmed that a body has been located. He did not confirm that it was Sutherland’s. He is at the scene now. We’ll pass along more information as we receive it.
1:03 PM · Aug 21, 2020

Logan Whaley RetweetedRegion 8 News@Region8News
BREAKING: In a Facebook post, the parents of Sydney Sutherland’s boyfriend, Alex, confirmed that the body found Friday was that of Sydney Sutherland’s, and that an arrest has been made.

Despite reporting from Little Rock, Sheriff Lucas called Region 8 to confirm that he did not and has not confirmed the body they found is Sutherlands. He said it's too early to be confirmed - doesn't want to make any mistakes in this investigation.

4:09 PM · Aug 21, 2020

Mitchell McCoy@MitchellMcCoy
No I have not. Sheriff tells me no family members of the suspect have been arrested.
7:50 PM · Aug 21, 2020

#UPDATE Quake Lewellyn has been arrested and charged in the murder of Sydney Sutherland, according to sources close to Region 8 News. #Correction in my previous tweet, Lewellyn was stated to be 25 . When asked, Sheriff Lucas told media he was 25. It is possible that is wrong.
2:12 PM · Aug 22, 2020 from Jonesboro, AR·

#UPDATE: Sheriff Lucas has shared with media that Quake Lewellyn, 28, was arrested & booked into the Jackson County Jail in connection to the death of Sydney Sutherland. Lewellyn is scheduled to have a first appearance in the Jackson County Circuit Court on Monday, Aug. 24, at 2P
3:06 PM · Aug 23, 2020

Arkansas Right2Know@ArkansasR2K
DNA testing from the Arkansas medical examiner's office has confirmed that a body found about 2 p.m. Friday is that of missing Jackson County resident Sydney Sutherland, 25, according to authorities.
6:04 AM · Aug 23, 2020

Judge says we can tweet but no video or photos allowed. #sydneysutherland
11:56 AM · Aug 24, 2020

Judge Erwin also only let 5 media individuals in the courtroom. Before adjourning he said “everyone has a job to do” asking media to respect his no video or audio recordings. Also adding that he, too, has a job to do.
12:13 PM · Aug 24, 2020 from Newport, AR

An ASP agent has took the stand. He says Lewellyn admitted to seeing Sutherland walking on CR 41. He then turned around and abducted her. He took her to [3 miles] farmland and sexually assaulted her then buried her body.
12:07 PM · Aug 24, 2020 from Newport

Erwin says Lewellyn will be held without bond.
12:08 PM · Aug 24, 2020
from Newport,

The court found probable cause for the charges of capital murder, kidnapping and rape. Lewellyn will appear in Jackson County Circuit Court on October 1st for arraignment. Again, he is being held WITHOUT bond.
@Region8News

12:23 PM · Aug 24, 2020 from
Newport, AR·

Sheriff Lucas says Lewellyn is now being transported to the Randolph County Jail. They will go to pick him up every time there’s a hearing.

While Lewellyn was under protective custody here in Jackson, he says that will be under the discretion of the Sheriff in Randolph County.
12:56 PM · Aug 24, 2020

I asked if he is being interviewed regarding any other cases. The prosecutor said not that he is aware of. #sydneysutherland https://twitter.com/amymel8/status/1298000211801968643
2:29 PM · Aug 24, 2020

No. Cause of death has not been confirmed, prosecutor says. #sydneysutherland
2:44 PM · Aug 24, 2020

ASP: Suspect admitted abducting, sexually assaulting Sydney Sutherland before killing her

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member