OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was ALL OVER Columbus at the time of his disappearance. On campus it was even bigger. His picture was everywhere.
The guy who reported the potential sighting said he was well aware of the case in 2006, but hadn’t followed it over the years. He said it was like his subconscious had Brian’s image stored somewhere, and when he saw “him,” he just knew.

I know numerous people that lived in Columbus at the time, some were students at OSU and they had never heard of Brian Shaffer until I told them about him. It's very sad.

I know numerous people that lived in Columbus at the time, some were students at OSU and they had never heard of Brian Shaffer until I told them about him. It's very sad.
I honestly don’t know how anyone who was an OSU student at the time of his disappearance wouldn’t have heard about it. There were flyers everywhere on campus.

Last edited:
Had some time last week while on a family road trip to go in-depth on this case. Have many thoughts but wanted to first focus on the timeline between 1:15 - 2:15 AM when Brian returned to the UTS and is last seen.

What I gathered is below, things that are approximate or haven't been confirmed via video footage or LE official statement is in bold.
  • 1:15 AM: Brian, Clint and Meredith arrive back at UTS
  • Between 1:50 - 1:55 AM: Brian steps out to front entrance area and speaks/flirts with Brighton and Amber. Brighton goes to bathroom shortly after
  • Between 1:57 - 1:58 AM: Brighton returns from bathroom and said she "saw Brian with Amber" and Brian was going to walk them to their car but needed to head back into the bar first
  • 1:59 AM: Brighton and Amber leave bar going down escalator
  • 2:00 AM: Clint and Meredith leave bar going down escalator
  • 2:01 AM: Meredith calls Brian and leaves a voicemail saying "Where the hell are you?"
  • 2:09 AM: Clint and Meredith leave the parking garage in Meredith's car
  • 2:11 AM: Clint sends Brian a text which may have been received?
Everything from 1:59 to 2:09 AM is pretty cut and dry and has been verified so I will assume that is 100% accurate. Same with them returning to the UTS on 1:15 AM.

The real confusing ones are between 1:45 - 1:59 AM which would've been the time when Brian steps out, talks with Brighton and Amber and then possibly heads back in and disappears.

Some time between 1:55 - 1:57 AM is the last time Brian is seen on camera - I've seen the timestamp different - before he heads back into the bar. Brighton has said she went to the bathroom for "3-5 minutes" but when she came back out, Brian was still standing there with Amber. The timeframe for all this is incredibly tight and if Brighton used the bathroom, she'd have gone back into the bar. The timings here just don't add up.

Not expecting 100% accuracy since it was so long ago and all the players were drinking but if Brian headed back into the UTS between 1:55 - 1:57 AM and Clint and Meredith are seen on camera at 2:00 AM, that leaves less than five minutes and maybe less than three for Brian to go back into UTS, tell Clint he was going to talk to the band, then head off to wherever.

The UTS was basically a big rather open square and multiple reports were that if you were in one corner of the bar and a friend was in the opposite corner, you probably could see them.

About the only thing I can think of is Brian went to talk to the band, couldn't for whatever reason then because he said he'd walk Brighton and Amber to their car - and may have wanted something more with Brighton since he was "kissing on her neck" and flirting with her per both of them and they'd exchanged numbers, looked out the front entrance of the bar and saw they were gone around 1:59 AM since that's where they were captured on video leaving and either was so drunk he went through the service exit to the construction site on accident or was trying to take a shortcut to catch up with them.

As for what happened then, this is one of the few cases where I can say I have no idea and wouldn't even lean one way or the other. The only thing I've totally discounted so far are he was murdered in the bar and it was somehow covered up. Normally my senses lean me one way or the other on a case and the logical part of my brain is usually right but I literally shrug my shoulders at this one.

What I like to do is put myself in the individual's shoes - in this case Brian - and walk through the final moments myself in my mind and think what would I logically do here. What makes sense from this point on? Is reacting like this or that reasonable? After we get to 1:55-1:57 AM, my mind draws a blank. Ugh - so frustrating...

Had some time last week while on a family road trip to go in-depth on this case. Have many thoughts but wanted to first focus on the timeline between 1:15 - 2:15 AM when Brian returned to the UTS and is last seen.

What I gathered is below, things that are approximate or haven't been confirmed via video footage or LE official statement is in bold.
  • 1:15 AM: Brian, Clint and Meredith arrive back at UTS
  • Between 1:50 - 1:55 AM: Brian steps out to front entrance area and speaks/flirts with Brighton and Amber. Brighton goes to bathroom shortly after
  • Between 1:57 - 1:58 AM: Brighton returns from bathroom and said she "saw Brian with Amber" and Brian was going to walk them to their car but needed to head back into the bar first
  • 1:59 AM: Brighton and Amber leave bar going down escalator
  • 2:00 AM: Clint and Meredith leave bar going down escalator
  • 2:01 AM: Meredith calls Brian and leaves a voicemail saying "Where the hell are you?"
  • 2:09 AM: Clint and Meredith leave the parking garage in Meredith's car
  • 2:11 AM: Clint sends Brian a text which may have been received?
Everything from 1:59 to 2:09 AM is pretty cut and dry and has been verified so I will assume that is 100% accurate. Same with them returning to the UTS on 1:15 AM.

The real confusing ones are between 1:45 - 1:59 AM which would've been the time when Brian steps out, talks with Brighton and Amber and then possibly heads back in and disappears.

Some time between 1:55 - 1:57 AM is the last time Brian is seen on camera - I've seen the timestamp different - before he heads back into the bar. Brighton has said she went to the bathroom for "3-5 minutes" but when she came back out, Brian was still standing there with Amber. The timeframe for all this is incredibly tight and if Brighton used the bathroom, she'd have gone back into the bar. The timings here just don't add up.

Not expecting 100% accuracy since it was so long ago and all the players were drinking but if Brian headed back into the UTS between 1:55 - 1:57 AM and Clint and Meredith are seen on camera at 2:00 AM, that leaves less than five minutes and maybe less than three for Brian to go back into UTS, tell Clint he was going to talk to the band, then head off to wherever.

The UTS was basically a big rather open square and multiple reports were that if you were in one corner of the bar and a friend was in the opposite corner, you probably could see them.

About the only thing I can think of is Brian went to talk to the band, couldn't for whatever reason then because he said he'd walk Brighton and Amber to their car - and may have wanted something more with Brighton since he was "kissing on her neck" and flirting with her per both of them and they'd exchanged numbers, looked out the front entrance of the bar and saw they were gone around 1:59 AM since that's where they were captured on video leaving and either was so drunk he went through the service exit to the construction site on accident or was trying to take a shortcut to catch up with them.

As for what happened then, this is one of the few cases where I can say I have no idea and wouldn't even lean one way or the other. The only thing I've totally discounted so far are he was murdered in the bar and it was somehow covered up. Normally my senses lean me one way or the other on a case and the logical part of my brain is usually right but I literally shrug my shoulders at this one.

What I like to do is put myself in the individual's shoes - in this case Brian - and walk through the final moments myself in my mind and think what would I logically do here. What makes sense from this point on? Is reacting like this or that reasonable? After we get to 1:55-1:57 AM, my mind draws a blank. Ugh - so frustrating...
In my opinion he didn't ever enter back into the bar. When he disappears off of camera, he in fact goes through the archway underneath the camera (through the wooden doors that were there at the time for construction) and makes his way outside before getting into a car and then God only knows.

MOO

In my opinion he didn't ever enter back into the bar. When he disappears off of camera, he in fact goes through the archway underneath the camera (through the wooden doors that were there at the time for construction) and makes his way outside before getting into a car and then God only knows.

MOO
It's a very plausible situation - I've always thought the construction area was where he ultimately ended up (and may still be :(). However, what I'm trying to reconcile is that Clint and Meredith both said that they physically saw Brian re-enter the bar and tell them something to the effect of he was going to talk to the band. They then said they lost sight of him in the crowd and never saw him again.

If he didn't re-enter the bar, that interaction wouldn't be possible OR the interaction took place prior to him heading outside to talk to Brighton and Amber. At least Clint admitted to drinking heavily that night so it's possible he got the interaction right but not the timing/sequence of events. Very possible the sequence was:
  • Brian says he's going to talk to the band - or whatever he said. It's possible he was slurring his speech or Clint/Meredith misheard him or couldn't hear him because of the noise. Perhaps Brian meant he was going to talk to Brighton who he'd been hitting on.
  • Brian heads outside to talk to Brighton and Amber because he's been flirting heavily with Brighton and they have exchanged numbers. It's getting late so perhaps he wanted to set up a future meeting, maybe even a hookup, etc.
  • Last interaction where Brian is on camera is captured around 1:55 AM talking with the girls. The actual time it ended was around 1:57 AM.
  • Brian heads off camera back into the direction of the bar and what you noted happens.
Det. Hurst stated several times they searched the construction area front to back and used advanced technologies to determine if Brian was entombed somewhere in there and came up empty. I have a strong belief Brian left through the construction area/exit however whether or not he left the building and got out to the street is something I can't discern.

If your scenario is roughly what happened, then one of three things happened that Brian:

1) - Fell, was injured or killed via some accident in the construction area and never found and is entombed somewhere in that area and CPD missed it.

2) - Escaped the building and met an end via some other means. Robbery gone bad, fell into the river, etc.

3) - Escaped the building and decided to run away from his life in Columbus and is living somewhere else right now away from it all.

I do not believe he re-entered the bar.

I think he told Clint and Meredith he was going to "talk to the band" BEFORE he is actually seen on camera speaking with Brighton and Amber.

Just speculation, but he could have been creating this false narrative so that Clint/Meredith would not know his real intentions of hooking up with Brighton. He realizes everyone is leaving and does not want to be seen walking with Brighton/Amber, so he exits through construction area.

He eventually makes his way out of construction area, but everyone is gone or he gets lost. Unfortunately, I think water and/or foul play now comes into the scenario.

Does anyone know where the construction area exit would be in relation to the normal exit? Was it on different sides of the building? Was the construction area dimly lit and it could have took him a while to find his way out?

Does anyone know where the construction area exit would be in relation to the normal exit? Was it on different sides of the building? Was the construction area dimly lit and it could have took him a while to find his way out?

Respectfully SBM.
The main entrance/exit to the bar faced High St. I’ve marked it on the map with yellow.
The arrow shows how Clint & Meredith, as well as Amber & Brighton, would have exited the bar and walked along High St., then turned into a little outdoor area between buildings to get to the parking garage.
The construction exit was at the back of the building. Brian could’ve exited onto Pearl from there.
The green mark on the map shows where Wendy’s used to be. That’s where Brian’s scent was picked up.
To answer your other question, behind the false wall there was a well-lit hallway and working elevator that the staff & band used as well as a well-lit stairwell. Both went down to the first level where the construction exit could be accessed. Someone could also access the loading dock and rear doorway of Mad Mexx’s kitchen in that area.

Attachments

• 1FAC4980-86AD-41E3-B957-8515983C8050.jpeg
    1FAC4980-86AD-41E3-B957-8515983C8050.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 41
Also wanted to show those of you who are unfamiliar with the area that Pearl would be an alternate route to Brian’s apartment on King Ave. if he wanted to avoid walking down busy High St. for whatever reason.

Attachments

• 9756859A-1346-4C31-9BC2-808C22206D69.jpeg
    9756859A-1346-4C31-9BC2-808C22206D69.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 22
IMO

He leaves through the construction doors underneath the camera. Then he gets out of the building and through more construction doors which were chained but lead out to the road.

He walked up the street where Wendys was and his scent was tracked. He then got into a car with God only knows who and he's never been seen again.

My theory:

I believe Brian may have been meeting with a guy, I believe (from earlier verified posts on here) that he was struggling with his sexuality.

This was before apps like Grindr and Tinder so it would've been nigh on impossible to track. Let's say he meets a guy on an online dating website. He's curious so takes his number and receives a text that night from said person to meet with him. Brian is slightly drunk but knows what said guy's car is, he approaches the car from behind (so he can't see who is driving) and gets right into the passenger seat. What happens next causes him to never been seen again.

Did he take drugs and overdose?

Was this guy, unfortunately, the wrong guy who killed Brian? Robbery gone wrong, dating site killer etc?

Did they run away together?

All just my opinion but that's what I think happened.

I do not believe he re-entered the bar.

I think he told Clint and Meredith he was going to "talk to the band" BEFORE he is actually seen on camera speaking with Brighton and Amber.

Just speculation, but he could have been creating this false narrative so that Clint/Meredith would not know his real intentions of hooking up with Brighton. He realizes everyone is leaving and does not want to be seen walking with Brighton/Amber, so he exits through construction area.
SBM

That was where my head went initially - that the reason he was talking with Brighton and Amber outside the bar was he was trying to be clandestine about his intentions with Brighton. She said that he was heavily flirting with her and 'kissing on her neck' while Amber (who knew Clint) was talking with him and I would assume Meredith.

Both of them obviously knew Brian had a girlfriend and it could've been that he thought that would leak back to her or in his drunkenness he thought he was being 'super sneaky'. Brighton did say that Brian said something outside the bar in his final moments on camera about walking them to their car.

She interpreted this as he was interested in continuing the night with her in some fashion, which at the time she was too because she thought he was attractive and charming. I don't believe at the time she knew he had a girlfriend so perhaps he was concerned if he didn't 'keep it on the DL', Clint or Meredith would reveal or say something to spoil the fun.

It has been reported a number of times that Brian and Meredith co-existed in Clint's life because they were both his friends, but weren't fond of each other. Haven't been able to find a real reason why so perhaps Brian thought Meredith would accidentally on purpose out him having a gf.

I've had to pull buddies back from this situation a few times in bars - where the combo of having lots of alcohol and meeting a hot girl make them conveniently forget their SO and they are trying to be 'super sneaky' and hit on them without us seeing, although when you are drunk you think you are being a lot sneakier than you actually are.

It really does seem like all roads to Brian's exit from the bar lead to the construction exit. It's the most direct path that had no cameras.

Great posts.

That is certainly two scenarios that are plausible.

He was avoiding being detected by Meredith/Clint for a future rendezvous with Brighton OR a guy.

And as was pointed out previously with where the construction exit is, the scent at Wendy's makes complete sense.

Brian had a girlfriend, he was flirting with and kissing on a different female at the bar, why is there any speculation that he may have been gay? It’s been awhile since I read through everything.
Some anecdotal stuff about him struggling with his sexuality, but nothing that outright confirmed it. Given how that night progressed, a rendezvous with Brighton makes far more sense. However, if I recall there were cameras at the Wendy's which the CPD checked and Brian was not observed on video so while he may have headed in the general direction of the Wendy's, I highly doubt he made it there.

I also have wondered if Brighton misheard Brian or Brian misstated when he said he would "walk them to their car" and he actually meant he'd meet them at their car, indicating he was going to try to sneak out of the bar without being detected by Clint and Meredith, who would likely figure out what he was up to.

Brian had a girlfriend, he was flirting with and kissing on a different female at the bar, why is there any speculation that he may have been gay? It’s been awhile since I read through everything.
I’m unaware of where the speculation that Brian was gay comes from other than the rumor Kelly briefly mentioned in her podcast. She said that when Brian and Clint were in undergrad together, there may have been a relationship or at least a one-sided “crush.” It was mentioned briefly and she did not indicate where this rumor came from or any events that would lend it credibility—just that it was a rumor she’d heard in the process of investigating his disappearance.
I think the recent potential sighting in Puerto Vallarta has made some people revisit this rumor because “Brian” was supposedly spotted in an area popular with gay men and was with a male dinner companion.
If anyone knows any more about the speculation that Brian was gay, please share.

However, if I recall there were cameras at the Wendy's which the CPD checked and Brian was not observed on video so while he may have headed in the general direction of the Wendy's, I highly doubt he made it there.

I also have wondered if Brighton misheard Brian or Brian misstated when he said he would "walk them to their car" and he actually meant he'd meet them at their car, indicating he was going to try to sneak out of the bar without being detected by Clint and Meredith, who would likely figure out what he was up to.
Respectfully SBM.
Wendy’s was closed at the time the bars closed, and unfortunately the parking lot camera was not working.
In Kelly’s podcast, Detective Hurst surmised that the dogs might have picked up Brian’s scent in that area because Brian could have urinated in a nearby bush or corner. That was just his guess, but he did say dogs lost his scent beyond Wendy’s.
IMO I do not think Brian would have met the girls in the parking garage because that’s where Clint and Meredith were heading. My personal opinion is that he offered to walk the girls to their car, but when he found out where they were parked, he decided not to. That’s also why he took an alternate way out of the building. I think he wanted to be free to get to wherever he was going without interruption.

Hi! I believe this has been answered, but it was the guy who was there with his wife who had on the OSU shirt. But I see your point and it made me laugh, because yes, an OSU shirt (or any shirt) from that long ago might be rather worn (thought I admit to having a few that old that are still around, though they have a few little holes in them!).

Hi! I believe this has been answered, but it was the guy who was there with his wife who had on the OSU shirt. But I see your point and it made me laugh, because yes, an OSU shirt (or any shirt) from that long ago might be rather worn (thought I admit to having a few that old that are still around, though they have a few little holes in them!).

I don’t believe it was him at all, but to be fair, they still make OSU shirts so it’s not like it had to be an old shirt.

....Going with the theory that a sexual predator (male) might have done something to Brian, people with standard day jobs often start taking vacations right when spring or summer starts. (In some workplaces employees stagger the schedule of time off so things get done with no real interruption to the flow of labor at a business, and everyone gets a vacation period during nice weather.)

I thought of this because the recently arrested homosexual serial killer of Toronto Canada was a landscaper and used his job sites to dispose of some of his victims. (You can Google this case, it's appalling.) He also was killing for a long, long time, since the local police did not take tips about him seriously......

Brian disappeared on April 1st. IF he had been targeted by someone seeking a victim, and someone who was/is meticulous about details...The lack of clues make sense. Someone who allowed themselves enough time to kidnap someone, kill them and get rid off all traces of the event would obviously plan in advance.

(For what it's worth closeted gay men are very common in the Midwestern region of the United States. The local culture and the "small town gossip" aspect of life in the Midwest keep a lot of gay men discreet. It's always possible there's a bit of gossip that might shed light on Brian's case but no one wants to come forward with it.)

Last edited:
....Going with the theory that a sexual predator (male) might have done something to Brian, people with standard day jobs often start taking vacations right when spring or summer starts. (In some workplaces employees stagger the schedule of time off so things get done with no real interruption to the flow of labor at a business, and everyone gets a vacation period during nice weather.)

I thought of this because the recently arrested homosexual serial killer of Toronto Canada was a landscaper and used his job sites to dispose of some of his victims. (You can Google this case, it's appalling.) He also was killing for a long, long time, since the local police did not take tips about him seriously......

Brian disappeared on April 1st. IF he had been targeted by someone seeking a victim, and someone who was/is meticulous about details...The lack of clues make sense. Someone who allowed themselves enough time to kidnap someone, kill them and get rid off all traces of the event would obviously plan in advance.

(For what it's worth closeted gay men are very common in the Midwestern region of the United States. The local culture and the "small town gossip" aspect of life in the Midwest keep a lot of gay men discreet. It's always possible there's a bit of gossip that might shed light on Brian's case but no one wants to come forward with it.)
Ws thread..
Canada - Bruce McArthur- Pleads Guilty - murders of 8 men, Toronto, 2010-2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288