Australia Thomas Cooper, 18, fatally shot at "Lover's Lane", Rickett's Point, 18/8/80 * Fresh Incentive *

dotr

Reaction score
Aug 24 2020 rbbm.
12592974-3x4-large.jpg

Thomas Cooper was shot through the window of his car in 1980.(Supplied: Victoria Police)
$1m reward on offer for information about Melbourne cold case murder
''A $1 million reward is being offered for information about the fatal shooting of 18-year-old Thomas Cooper.

Mr Cooper and his 16-year old girlfriend were sitting in a car at Ricketts Point, in Beaumaris, on August 18, 1980, when a man wearing a hat approached the car and smashed the driver's side window.

Mr Cooper tried to drive away but the man shot him several times.

His girlfriend managed to steer the car away from the area and was uninjured.

Police said the woman died in May this year never knowing why Mr Cooper was murdered.''

''Detective Inspector Dean Thomas, from the Victoria Police Homicide Squad, said the motive for the murder was unclear.
"There are a number of possibilities, including that the shooting was sexually motivated and the girl in the car may have been the target," he said.

"We know that many couples regularly went to this location, so the offender may have been stalking the area in the lead-up to the shooting."

At the time of the murder, police released a composite image of a man they wanted to speak to.

That image has now been forensically updated to show what the man might look like in 2020.

Police also said the man may have been wearing the hat as part of a disguise''.

$1 million reward on offer to solve 'lovers' lane' cold case murder of Melbourne teenager
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fd6a67ed4-76f2-44ac-ac4f-6bc7ade24c17

Victoria Police have forensically updated an image of the suspect to to show what the man might look like in 2020. (Supplied)
https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F333a1afb-22bf-47e1-9e67-405f210972fb

Thomas Cooper was shot dead by a man wearing a hat while sitting with his girlfriend inside their car in Ricketts Point, in Beaumaris on August 18, 1980. (Nine News)

''Det. Insp. Thomas will address the media this morning as he appeals for information.
"Thomas's family have had to go 40 years without the answer to who would want to kill their son and brother," Det. Insp. Thomas said.
"As we always say, a lot can change over the years and hopefully this reward and the passage of time will encourage someone to come forward and give his family some peace."
Anyone with information about the murder of Thomas Cooper is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppers.com.au''

Just curious as to why the police would not release the name of the girlfriend?
Welcome to Ws Jungle!
One reason that i can think of as to why LE (law enforcement) did not give out the now deceased, girlfriend's name, is to protect her name and family, the perp is presumably still on the loose!
imo, speculation.rbbm.

$1 million reward for Vic cold case murder - Yarrawonga Chronicle
''The unnamed girlfriend died in May this year, Victoria Police revealed on Tuesday.

The area was a well known spot for couples to go parking and Thomas and his girlfriend went there several times a week.

Homicide Squad boss Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said while the reason for the murder was unclear, Thomas's girlfriend could have been the target.

"There are a number of possibilities, including that the shooting was sexually motivated and the girl in the car may have been the target," he said.''

I posted a link earlier but it is not accessible. Attached are screenshots.

Attachments

• 6D3FEA3B-9FEB-4CC9-A6C8-71EC395291EE.png
    6D3FEA3B-9FEB-4CC9-A6C8-71EC395291EE.png
    332.7 KB · Views: 40
  • AA3F3332-E514-46EA-9026-505550474E1D.png
    AA3F3332-E514-46EA-9026-505550474E1D.png
    333.2 KB · Views: 48
  • D0A1939C-5F49-4485-BDF4-8B29882AB21E.png
    D0A1939C-5F49-4485-BDF4-8B29882AB21E.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 35
If the alibi was not longer provided enabling the suspect to be arrested would this person be eligible for the new $1 million reward? Or would they be charged with a crime themselves?

I wonder if the case received much publicity at the time? As previously mentioned I had never heard of it despite going to school very close by and spending time socializing in the area. Seems bizarre that a murder by gunshot was not well known in this area.

I wonder if the case received much publicity at the time? As previously mentioned I had never heard of it despite going to school very close by and spending time socializing in the area. Seems bizarre that a murder by gunshot was not well known in this area.

I grew up near the Bayside suburbs, and still live nearby. I do not recall hearing about this case back in 1980 at all.

msadventure it sounds like you had the same experience as me in not hearing anything about this until recently. Beaumaris is hardly a violent area. To think there was a cold blooded murder in such a tranquil place is confronting. To not have heard anything about it at the time is just weird. Surely this would have been a major news story that had ramifications for the area for years after? This was not the case at all it seems.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back