Found Deceased TX - Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, Fort Hood, 17 August 2020

MOO get feeling no one is in charge at this fort. Commanders come and go on orders and so do the troops.not sure why it seems so CYA and inept.
ITA. It doesn’t seem like anyone is in charge. Whoever is in charge is doing a horrible job. MOO

If he committed suicide he would be likely found by now. The chance he was randomly killed, to me , is slim. Yes, Killeen is not nice of a place but not too horrible. People do not get killed for no reasons. I do not see a motive. I am leaning towards self disappearing...
I think there could definitely be a motive. The superior and/or others possibly involved in the SA wanting to keep him quiet. Stop him from filing charges. Heck, it could be peers thinking he’s weak, bullying him, etc. MOO
Family wants Fort Hood investigated after Brockton soldier disappears
The family of a missing Brockton soldier is calling on Congress to investigate Fort Hood.  
Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, was last seen by members of his unit one week ago. The Army said he did not report to work on Tuesday.
An attorney representing the family said Fernandes was sexually assaulted in April inside a supply room at the base, after a superior officer groped him.
BBM That’s horrible! His superior! Of course he was having mental issues. Who wouldn’t. I want to know what happened to his superior? MOO

Hi, local here. The Temple Daily Telegram reports that a body of a male in his 20s was found tonight, deceased but no signs of foul play. They haven’t released the name of the man yet. If it is indeed Elder, this would be roughly 30 miles from Where he was last seen. I am including the article but you have to have an account to view it.
Body found in Temple near Sammons Golf Course
Oh no! I pray it isn’t Elder. :(

Yup, sad ending here.

When the officers arrived, they determined the man “had been deceased for some period of time,” police said, “Identification found at the scene indicates the victim may be missing Fort Hood Soldier 23-year-old Elder Fernandes.”

Investigators said no forensic confirmation has been made at this time in the investigation.

Foul play is not suspected.

Yup, sad ending here.

When the officers arrived, they determined the man “had been deceased for some period of time,” police said, “Identification found at the scene indicates the victim may be missing Fort Hood Soldier 23-year-old Elder Fernandes.”

Investigators said no forensic confirmation has been made at this time in the investigation.

:(

This is so confusing. How did he get there??

Also, from this article Family of Elder Fernandes questions info they've been given | kcentv.com
Finally, family members said Fort Hood claimed to take Fernandes to a home on Woodlands Drive in Killeen, which was his last known address. They later found out that Fernandes had moved out of that address in late July and found his car still on post.

Family members said it would make no sense for Fernandes to be dropped off in a place where he did not live and where he had no transportation. Ailina said the current residents of the home never saw Fernandes either.

I am at a loss

Yup, sad ending here.

The foul play happened on that base when he was abused/assaulted by his superior. He had to have felt that his career was ruined as well as any sense that he could be free from the fear of sexual assault in that environment. I had posted earlier that having to be separated from his unit and join another may not have been a private personnel matter because people in communities talk. To feel degraded and assaulted, to feel your career is over, and to believe that you are not safe is a recipe for suicide. And to boot, he did not have his cell phone and could not privately speak with his family at behavioral health. This was a recipe for disaster for him. Again, there is a serious failure of leadership on this base and it needs to be fixed.

"Even though the family now knows circumstances took a dark turn for the young soldier on the gigantic Army base halfway between Austin and Waco, they insisted he would not harm himself. They believed their loved one was scared and hiding.

If Elder Fernandes did hurt himself, it is the Army’s fault, his mother said.

“If the Army drove Elder that crazy to make Elder do something like that, then shame on them, because that is not the Elder I know,” she said, her voice quaking with emotion. Brockton soldier missing from Fort Hood found dead, family says - The Boston Globe

(An attorney representing the family said Fernandes was sexually assaulted in April inside a supply room at the base, after a superior officer groped him.

The Army confirms that it has been investigating a case of abusive sexual contact in which Fernandes is the victim. Have questions about the DNC and RNC? We’ve got answers)

RIP Elder. Condolences to his family and friends. I hope for justice for him in the form of charges against his abusers.

Last edited:
Fernandes’ social media presence showed a tender-hearted young man with a passion for online gaming, “Warzone” in particular, a penchant for “Rick and Morty” T-shirts, and a deep loving bond with his family, especially his curly headed 3-year-old niece and nephew.

There was also a glimpse of a pained inner struggle scattered amid the Sponge Bob memes he had posted. Fernandes made light of the effects of untreated anxiety and depression. He expressed dissatisfaction with military service that feels like “pointless busywork.”

In May, Fernandes explained one of his coping mechanisms in a meme. It said: “I isolate myself when I go through [expletive]. My misery don’t like company.”

“That’s how people kill themselves,” a friend commented. Fernandes didn’t respond.

Among his many references to diminished morale, Fernandes posted an advertisement for an Army green T-shirt that said: “Can’t lower morale if there isn’t any.”
Among his many references to diminished morale, Fernandes posted an advertisement for an Army green T-shirt that said: “Can’t lower morale if there isn’t any.”

Oh no... He struggled for a while, no treatment, didn’t tell family...:( And then add sexual assault on top of that.

Source:
Brockton soldier missing from Fort Hood found dead, family says - The Boston Globe

Shared that in another thread today. No official word on MOD, but suicide probably most likely, but I could be wrong.

It is very difficult to accept that anyone may attempt and even complete suicide.

We hear a lot about the so-called stress diathesis model. The stress diathesis model is a “multi-hit” model and stresses that there has to be more than one trigger to commit suicide. There is a baseline risk like depression or other mental illness interacting with usually some other event (loss that provokes desperation etc.) and some fundamental genetic vulnerability to lead to suicide.

Also the period right after inpatient hospitalization is a very high risk period for suicides...

RIP Elder! Gone way too soon in any case! :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back