Hurricane Laura - August 2020

OMG. I seriously hope neighbors helped neighbors and everyone has moved to higher ground.

Hurricane Laura forecast to be Category 4 storm as Texas, Louisiana brace for landfall

As of early Wednesay, the hurricane is located ofver the Gulf of Mexico and has maximum sustained winds of 110 mph and is moving northwest at 15 mph.

The 5 a.m. advisory from the NHC has Laura becoming a Category 4 storm before making landfall overnight.

Hurricane Laura could bring "life-threatening storm surge" - live updates

Laura is forecast to become a category 4 hurricane today, and is expected to be a major hurricane at landfall. Rapid weakening is expected after Laura makes landfall.

The NHC warned that life-threatening storm surge could reach 15 feet above ground level between Sea Rim State Park, Texas, and Intracoastal City, Louisiana. "In some places surge could penetrate as far as 30 miles inland," it said.

Devastating wind damage is also expected. "Well-built homes may incur major damage, trees will be snapped or uprooted, and electricity and water will be unavailable for several days to weeks," it tweeted.

EgWFQh5U8AEOWIP
EgWFU2YUEAAWIEg

CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE, EXTREME WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING EXPECTED ALONG THE NORTHWEST GULF COAST TONIGHT... ...ONLY A FEW HOURS REMAIN TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY...
10:00 AM CDT Wed Aug 26
Moving: NW at 16 mph
Min pressure: 956 mb
Max sustained: 125 mph

Hurricane Laura: Evacuees turned away at Austin shelter | kvue.com

AUSTIN, Texas — Some Texas coast evacuees who traveled to Austin for shelter ahead of Hurricane Laura's landfall are being turned away from the Circuit of the Americas check-in site because it "is at capacity."

KVUE's Tori Larned reports that the COTA shelter ran out of room early Wednesday morning. This comes one day after city leaders announced on Tuesday that Austin would be one of the places that had a shelter for Hurricane Laura evacuees. The shelter opened at 4 p.m. on Tuesday and was prepared to take in up to 3,000 people.

COTA officials said the shelter had to start turning people away around midnight because they ran out of hotel vouchers. They were able to reopen again and had been open for some of Wednesday morning. However, gates began closing again around 5 a.m. as the shelter ran out of space.

An official told KVUE they are encouraging evacuees to call 211 for the most up-to-date sheltering information. They are working to find more rooms in the Austin area.

KVUE asked what the next step is for people looking for shelter, and officials said there are other areas evacuees can go to such as Mesquite, San Antonio and Dallas that have evacuation centers. They also suggested evacuees find their own motel or hotel.

Hurricane Laura Expected to Strengthen Into a Category 4; Catastrophic Strike Ahead Near Louisiana and Texas Border | The Weather Channel

At a Glance
  • Laura is expected to intensify into a Category 4 as it approaches landfall.
  • Laura will make landfall Wednesday night into early Thursday near the border between Louisiana and Texas.
  • Catastrophic storm surge and damaging winds will affect areas near where Laura makes landfall.
  • Storm surge could penetrate as much as 30 miles inland in southwest Louisiana.
  • Laura is also an inland flood risk as far north and east as Arkansas and the Ohio and Tennessee valleys.
  • Isolated tornadoes are also expected from Laura.

let's hope folks put the pets in the car and just keep driving north. This storm doesn't look like it is one to just hunker down for.

I worry about people who may not have a car, and need access to transportation for evacuation.

Catastrophic.

U.S. National Weather Service (NWS)

Laura will generate UNSURVIVABLE storm surge with large, destructive waves causing catastrophic damage from Sea Rim State Park, TX, to Intracoastal City, LA. Surge could penetrate up to 30 miles inland.

If you need to evacuate, do so NOW. Surge will begin today, well ahead of the strongest winds.

Latest forecast can be found at hurricanes.gov

let's hope folks put the pets in the car and just keep driving north. This storm doesn't look like it is one to just hunker down for.

I worry about people who may not have a car, and need access to transportation for evacuation.
I really hope the community pulled together and took their poor, elderly and homeless to higher ground. When Irma was coming, we just drove and drove for like 23 hours. There was no place to stop and rest. We actually ended up near New Orleans before we could find lodging.

She’s a Cat 4 and she’s gonna kick *advertiser censored* and take names. When I was growing up, the emergency people would drive thru your ‘hood with a bullhorn telling you to get out. Scared the crap out of us kids. If you chose to stay, then you were told to write your SSN on your arm. In other words, they were not coming back to look for you, so don’t bother to call 911.

Tropical Tidbits

Aircraft data indicates that #Laura has become a Category 4 hurricane with maximum winds of 140 mph. An unprecedented storm surge flooding event is coming for SW Louisiana, likely the worst in the known history of this stretch of coastline. If you've been issued an evacuation order, you should follow it. Don't mess around with this one. Even the National Weather Service office in Lake Charles, LA has evacuated their own building.

Jeff Davis parish no second floor 1 mile from a Bayou can’t evacuate too many fur babies ;/ & too many dang windows. I could cheerfully strangle architect only he’s passed. And we just renewed our flood insurance yesterday. They didn’t pay for Rita so I doubt they’ll reimburse for Laura

Tony, this is so scary. Please let us know how you and your family (including those with fur) are doing as this hurricane moves through your area. I'm praying that you will get through it without major problems.

She’s a Cat 4 and she’s gonna kick *advertiser censored* and take names. When I was growing up, the emergency people would drive thru your ‘hood with a bullhorn telling you to get out. Scared the crap out of us kids. If you chose to stay, then you were told to write your SSN on your arm. In other words, they were not coming back to look for you, so don’t bother to call 911.

Tropical Tidbits

Aircraft data indicates that #Laura has become a Category 4 hurricane with maximum winds of 140 mph. An unprecedented storm surge flooding event is coming for SW Louisiana, likely the worst in the known history of this stretch of coastline. If you've been issued an evacuation order, you should follow it. Don't mess around with this one. Even the National Weather Service office in Lake Charles, LA has evacuated their own building.
You would be surprised at the people that choose to stay behind. And for the craziest reasons. Boggles the mind.
Risking the life of their families.

I'm so old that all of my immediate family are retired. One in Key West, one in Houston, Galveston, and camp on Lake Ponchartrain. I'm in North Louisiana. Not supposed to get too bad here but is being compared with the rain and winds of Hurricane Rita. That was as close as I want to get. I was in Shreveport for that one.

My youngest daughter and her husband just moved to North Dallas and she says the weather will not be bad there other than thunderstorms and the highest winds only at 10mph.

For everyone in harms way................please be so very careful!

Just found out my nephew is enroute to help out in the storm area. He works for a large tree trimming company here in SWFL and has for years. His skills and equipment will be a blessing to those hard hit.

Prayers and blessings to all who are effected and those helping!

One of my GF's family home is near Lake Charles, LA. She is in NJ at the moment, but recently retired and has been setting up to to move back there semi-permanently. Some of her sisters and brothers still reside nearby. I hope they are all safe. This is so scary.

I traveled with her one summer to visit NOLA and drove east to MS and AL, along the coast. It's so beautiful there. A week after we went, Katrina hit and wiped out most of the places we had just been to.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back