Hurricane Laura - August 2020

In previous hurricanes, we had a roll call list for who is affected by awful storms. I know of @Tony1902 , others?

Be safe all!

@Tony1902 is in Jefferson Davis Parish which is just east of Lake Charles. They’re expecting a potentially unsurvivable storm surge throughout a wide area there. I’m not sure where in the parish she is, but the potential storm surge looks like it can affect much of the parish, according to The Weather Channel. Praying she and her DH and fur babies will be OK.

Scott Pecoriello @ScottPecoriello
·
13m

New recon data showing min pressure from #Laura is now down to 936 mb, which means it's still intensifying just hours away from landfall. No notable signs of an ERC either. It's rather unusual for a storm of this caliber to hold it's eye-wall so well as it approaches landfall.
I believe 936 mb was the same pressure as the great Galveston hurricane of 1900. Hurricane Laura seems eerily similar to that storm.

I believe 936 mb was the same pressure as the great Galveston hurricane of 1900. Hurricane Laura seems eerily similar to that storm.

Found this

Philip Klotzbach @philklotzbach

Table of ten most intense #hurricanes to make landfall in Louisiana on record (since 1851) - ranked by pressure. Katrina had the lowest pressure of a Louisiana landfall on record. #Laura's pressure is currently 947 hPa.

EgYYWYDU8AAv4A5

Someone upthread gave link to the hurricane follower Reed Timmer. He's live with video at link -probably youtube also?, and headed to a parking garage in Lake Charles. He's saying tornado warnings now, and talking about the hurricane helmets they wear.

15,000 are following him live right now - live video on this link as he is driving

Reed Timmer Extreme Meteorologist on Facebook Watch

ETA: I'll watch for a while and do more ETA until my 60 minutes is up below?

10:30 pm eastern

-He is saying Cameron LA is under 4 ft of water

- He is saying he will stay in downtown Lake Charles to document

-He's looking for concrete structure at this time to go to - protection from winds and potential tornadoes... and hoping to get into the eye.. concern is flying debris of 150 MPH. He will do pressure and wind info with his equipment. He will set up to sample all within the eye and the storm.

10:35 pm eastern

- He is parked outside of the concrete parking garage he thinks he'll hunker down in. Still live and now 17,500 folks following his livestream on facebook (I assume he has Youtube also)

Folks are walking down the street in front of his car. Doesn't look bad at all right now MOO. Just a light/medium steady rain not much wind MOO

11:00 pm eastern

He has just left his car since he got there with video at street level pointing to street. No comments etc from him... it seems like from other pages that landfall will be in 6 hours as to the eye (5 am eastern time... 3 am their local time).

Signing off as to any updates as he's gonna hang there yet I'm headed to zzzzzzz....

Godspeed to all affected

Last edited:
Huh. Apparently Laura, although powerful, has a “tiny wind field” which will help diminish damage in TX. The landfall area will still experience harsh impacts. Laura is also causing the Mississippi River to flow backwards.
Hurricane Laura Causes Mississippi River to Flow Backwards

its cool right, can't say i remember that during Katrina but i do remember their water system in the city that is controlled by a vacuum went backwards which i think now they fixed after Katrina

Huh. Apparently Laura, although powerful, has a “tiny wind field” which will help diminish damage in TX. The landfall area will still experience harsh impacts. Laura is also causing the Mississippi River to flow backwards.
Hurricane Laura Causes Mississippi River to Flow Backwards

Yes, it's amazing if you are on one side or the other of the counterclockwise rotation. East of it you get flooded, west of it the ocean goes down and is blown out from the land.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen
Back