Hurricane Laura - August 2020

Is that hurricane clouds or vapor from the chemicals?

Eta
Lots of damage in Lake Charles, and a large chemical fire burning in the distance. #HurricanLaura

Could be the Sasol Chemicals complex which is ranked No. 2 nationally in the listing of the top 100 so-called “super polluters”.

@Tony1902 how are you and your furbaby family? Thinking of you and all the others in harms way, and hope you have any and all support that you need.
THanks wind rain leaves but DT left in a huff bc I wanted wine so he’s at his brothers House 1 hour away. Yea he left me just before a cat 4 was barreling towards us. We live 1/2 hour from Lake Charles. All animals ok

@Tony1902 is in Jefferson Davis Parish which is just east of Lake Charles. They’re expecting a potentially unsurvivable storm surge throughout a wide area there. I’m not sure where in the parish she is, but the potential storm surge looks like it can affect much of the parish, according to The Weather Channel. Praying she and her DH and fur babies will be OK.

We are ok, just wind, some rain, we’ll a lot all day, branches and a ton of leaves. Which DT can pick up whenever he comes back. He left me @6 to go to his brother’s 1 hour away East. Thanks to everyone for your concerns

The company is purported to be Biolab, a subsidiary of KIK chemicals. They also had a big fire in 2004 in Conyers GA . Shelter in place has been sent out, but it may be the same as in 2004 with this company that they will quickly switch to evacuations as they did with the City of Conyers GA in 2004, for days. Some of their chemicals are very hard to put out MOO (and well informed MOO at that)....

Fire rages at chemical warehouse near Atlanta from 2004

Fire at Westlake chemical plant in wake of Hurricane Laura

Westlake, Louisiana chemical plant fire after Hurricane Laura | khou.com

Is that hurricane clouds or vapor from the chemicals?

Eta
Lots of damage in Lake Charles, and a large chemical fire burning in the distance. #HurricanLaura

That is a TOXIC CLOUD from a fire.

ETA: removed MOO, that is a definite toxic cloud..

I hope it's not what I'm thinking. As many of their chemicals CANNOT have exposure to water, cannot be put out by water... as it starts an exothermic reaction that goes outta control into a conflagration.

I didn't know that they were doing calcium hypochlorite storage there... which contributed to the 2004 fire in Conyers Georgia. I had thought they no longer were doing such after the 2004.. but there may have been other chemicals produced/stored which do the same...

Would have to dive down rabbit hole to look into the company records as to see what they manufacture and stored there.

Last edited:
Could be the Sasol Chemicals complex which is ranked No. 2 nationally in the listing of the top 100 so-called “super polluters”.

Nope, per MSM, BioLab has said it is their plant

"By Johnathan Manning | August 27, 2020 at 10:12 AM CDT - Updated August 27 at 10:59 AM

Fire at chemical plant in Southwest Louisiana following Laura
WESTLAKE, La. (KPLC) - Officials say there is a fire at a chemical plant in Westlake.

BioLab officials have confirmed the fire is at their plant, which is located just south of I-10.

Sulphur, Westlake and Moss Bluff have issued shelters-in-place."

Per PR/protocol, the VP will speak or a high up rep within hours, and within 30 days will be fired along with other higher ups MOO

Right now MOO, they have their insurance team all over this and their PR folks.

By end of day we'll know what chemicals are on fire (fire dept has in their records as to what was stored... they know right now). Myself, if I was downwind... I would be outta there as only gonna get worse as to spreading and continuing fumes.

MOO

Like a rip tide, I would go 90% from the plume.

Last edited:

"By Johnathan Manning | August 27, 2020 at 10:12 AM CDT - Updated August 27 at 10:59 AM

WESTLAKE, La. (KPLC) - Officials say there is a fire at a chemical plant in Westlake.

BioLab officials have confirmed the fire is at their plant, which is located just south of I-10.

Per PR/protocol, the VP will speak or a high up rep within hours, and within 30 days will be fired along with other higher ups MOO
Thanks @dixiegirl1035 !

By end of day we'll know what chemicals are on fire (fire dept has in their records as to what was stored... they know right now). Myself, if I was downwind... I would be outta there as only gonna get worse as to spreading and continuing fumes.

MOO

Like a rip tide, I would go 90% from the plume.
That whole region of the country is scary to me. All those chemical plants, the oil wells offshore, etc. I expect that place to glow at night! I would have bailed long before that hurricane blew thru!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151
Back