Found Deceased IL - Jake Cefolia, 49, jogging, car found, SVP of United Airlines, Chicago, 6 Aug 2020

I don't choose to hike in hiking boots, but fellow hikers I know who wear them do wear them in all weather. Many hikers like them for being waterproof or water-resistant and the added ankle support. Even if it was warm out, they would wear them. So I don't think it's odd he had hiking boots on if he was really going hiking. But I do have my doubts he was going hiking. JMO

I am actually more interested in wearing khakis. Cotton slacks would be a poor choice for running or for hiking. But if they were tan hiking pants (that maybe look or could be described as khakis from the video?), then I am on board with he may be going into the preserve and wandering off the gravel pathway.

I always wonder in cases like these when the family appears to be staying quiet if there is a desire to call less attention to his disappearance to make it easier for him to resurface in a quiet manner. I am hoping for his family and friends that he is choosing to escape some turbulence in his life and will surface soon to let them know he is ok. That would definitely be a great outcome.

I am actually more interested in wearing khakis. Cotton slacks would be a poor choice for running or for hiking. But if they were tan hiking pants (that maybe look or could be described as khakis from the video?), then I am on board with he may be going into the preserve and wandering off the gravel pathway.

I always wonder in cases like these when the family appears to be staying quiet if there is a desire to call less attention to his disappearance to make it easier for him to resurface in a quiet manner. I am hoping for his family and friends that he is choosing to escape some turbulence in his life and will surface soon to let them know he is ok. That would definitely be a great outcome.
There are numerous pics online of JC wearing
khaki slacks w/polo in a work setting.
Khaki/cotton/poly slacks.

JC in khaki pants:
Cn8NYKsVUAEEXKY

4. And, most importantly, bodies in heavily wooded areas are very very hard to find, and despite multiple searches and experienced teams, are often missed, especially in summer months. Cadaver and search dogs are not infallible either, despite their amazing abilities. Sometimes not until winter when vegetation is gone are they found, usually by change or by drone.

So, the above is why I still lean very much towards self-harm (75% odds) rather than voluntary disappearance (25% odds) at this point. The one thing in favor of voluntary disappearance for me at this point is that he mentioned to his ex-wife about "going off the grid."The criminal investigation, depending on what it is, certainly could be a catalyst, but it could be for self-harm just as easily as for voluntary disappearance. Him not taking his phone and Apple Watch - only rules out "accident on a hike" in my book.

In some ways, this reminds me of the disappearance of Centre County DA Ray Gricar. I just hope we aren't waiting for answers as long as we are still waiting in that one.

Respectfully snipped by me....
Two things jumped out at me from your excellent post....

Bodies in the woods: There was a case some years ago (sorry, don't remember name or location, maybe out west?) that the poor gal had ended her life and was hanging up in a tree. Wonder if a cadaver dog would smell that scent, NOT on the ground?

And Ray Gricar.... So long to wait for answers!!!

I truly hope he's alive and well somewhere on a beach. That's a whole lot easier for us to take than bad news.
thanks

When I first started reading this thread, I was firmly in the self-harm camp. With a few details that have emerged, I am now more open to the possibility of a voluntary disappearance. I will preface my further thoughts by saying that I have learned many things from following disappearances and suicides both here and elsewhere that are relevant to my position:

1. The pandemic has taken an enormous toll on the mental health of many across all socio-economic classes. The rates of suicide, addiction, domestic violence (incl. murder-suicides) have increased significantly (IMO since I don't have a link handy). Although there may have been a triggering event or two, it is possible that depression, addiction, or both began long before his disappearance.

2. People who choose to end their own lives do surprisingly mundane, routine things before doing so and rarely are there indicators or signs of it in advance. Habits are hard to break. Filling up your car when it's empty. Locking your doors. Sometimes hindsight is 20/20, but rarely.

3. Awareness of and understanding of (and avoidance of) video surveillance by the general public is vastly overestimated by true crime followers who are well-versed in the ins and outs of how prevalent cameras are and how frequently and urgently it is collected and analyzed by LE. Even if he thought he'd be seen at the gas station or glanced up and saw a camera, at that point there was nothing to hide. I don't think most people think cameras are at outdoor park areas.

4. And, most importantly, bodies in heavily wooded areas are very very hard to find, and despite multiple searches and experienced teams, are often missed, especially in summer months. Cadaver and search dogs are not infallible either, despite their amazing abilities. Sometimes not until winter when vegetation is gone are they found, usually by change or by drone.

So, the above is why I still lean very much towards self-harm (75% odds) rather than voluntary disappearance (25% odds) at this point. The one thing in favor of voluntary disappearance for me at this point is that he mentioned to his ex-wife about "going off the grid."The criminal investigation, depending on what it is, certainly could be a catalyst, but it could be for self-harm just as easily as for voluntary disappearance. Him not taking his phone and Apple Watch - only rules out "accident on a hike" in my book.

In some ways, this reminds me of the disappearance of Centre County DA Ray Gricar. I just hope we aren't waiting for answers as long as we are still waiting in that one.

You aren't the only one to think if Ray Gricar while following Jakes case.

Hi everyone. There was another case where a woman dropped her husband off in front of a courthouse for a hearing, he did not attend the hearing and was last spotted entering a nature preserve. He had a notebook with him for the hearing, does anyone remember and was he ever found? I hope Jake is found.

John Beck was the man in San Francisco who disappeared. He has never been found. Leanne Bearden was the suicide in the tree.

ETA: I believe that area where Leanne was eventually found had been searched prior. But I don't remember if it was searched using dogs.

Hi everyone. There was another case where a woman dropped her husband off in front of a courthouse for a hearing, he did not attend the hearing and was last spotted entering a nature preserve. He had a notebook with him for the hearing, does anyone remember and was he ever found? I hope Jake is found.
Yes, I remember him. His name is John Beck.
CA - CA - John Beck, 73, Alameda, 9 Feb 2016 #2

I haven't seen anything else about him other than the last time he was possibly seen was near a bridge and someone who was drawing included him in the picture they drew.

Last edited:
I don't choose to hike in hiking boots, but fellow hikers I know who wear them do wear them in all weather. Many hikers like them for being waterproof or water-resistant and the added ankle support. Even if it was warm out, they would wear them. So I don't think it's odd he had hiking boots on if he was really going hiking. But I do have my doubts he was going hiking. JMO
Although not a rugged trail by any means, I see people in full hiking regalia there year round. Maybe training for a more difficult hike, but still.

Right - this is what I picture when the report said "khakis" but not so typical to see them paired with hiking boots. That makes me wonder if he was seen in khakis like these or in a more casual tan hiking pant.
I have honestly been stuck on the hiking boots myself. Why the hiking boots? They have to have served a purpose for him so why wear them? Unless he normally does?

1. If you are planning to take your life, why boots? Do they help you get to an area you couldn’t normally access without them? If so, why there and why that method? Is it so you’d never be found? Where would that be?

2. If you are planning to “go off grid”. Do the boots help you get to a meet up point or through parts of the park? Would you want boots to fly in a private plane? Are the boots needed for where you end up “off grid”? Are they used as a “prop” to make people think you are somewhere you aren’t?

3. Or, were you really going hiking?

Praying the search yields answers tomorrow.

From the Disappearance Facebook page:

Chief David Pederson of the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County advised "We have officers from our department and Elmhurst along with seven K-9's and about 30 searchers from Victim Found K-9 Search and Rescue at the preserve today conducting a search"

Sounds like a huge effort! Hoping they will let us know what they find today at the preserve.

In response to a FOIA request, CrimeOnline obtained records and photos related to the search for Cefolia at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve. The documents show that multiple agencies, including the Elmhurst Police Department, the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office, and the Law Enforcement arm of the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, performed extensive searches of the forest preserve, including searches of waterways, on several dates in August.

Among the documents, CrimeOnline obtained images of Cefolia’s Range Rover, which was found abandoned in a dirt or gravel parking lot at Cass Avenue and Bluff Road, adjacent to the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve. Among the listed items found in the vehicle are a set of golf clubs, a sweatshirt, and a First Aid kit. The photos also show what appears to be a type of face mask commonly worn to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, hung on or next to the steering wheel. As CrimeOnline previously reported, investigators said there was nothing suspicious found in the vehicle.

Jake-Cefolia-Car-w-Searchers.jpg

Jake-Cefolia-Car-photo-3-Interior-wMask-1600x1142.jpg

Jake-Cefolia-car-photo-4-backseat-sweatshirt-1600x1098.jpg

Photos of missing United Airlines executive Jake Cefolia’s abandoned car show face mask, clothing item left behind

In response to a FOIA request, CrimeOnline obtained records and photos related to the search for Cefolia at the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve. The documents show that multiple agencies, including the Elmhurst Police Department, the DuPage County Sheriff’s Office, and the Law Enforcement arm of the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County, performed extensive searches of the forest preserve, including searches of waterways, on several dates in August.

Among the documents, CrimeOnline obtained images of Cefolia’s Range Rover, which was found abandoned in a dirt or gravel parking lot at Cass Avenue and Bluff Road, adjacent to the Waterfall Glen Forest Preserve. Among the listed items found in the vehicle are a set of golf clubs, a sweatshirt, and a First Aid kit. The photos also show what appears to be a type of face mask commonly worn to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus, hung on or next to the steering wheel. As CrimeOnline previously reported, investigators said there was nothing suspicious found in the vehicle.

Jake-Cefolia-Car-w-Searchers.jpg

Jake-Cefolia-Car-photo-3-Interior-wMask-1600x1142.jpg

Jake-Cefolia-car-photo-4-backseat-sweatshirt-1600x1098.jpg

Photos of missing United Airlines executive Jake Cefolia’s abandoned car show face mask, clothing item left behind
Awesome they got those pics! They mentioned the security footage too. I still wonder what time that was?

ETA-
I’m interested in this part of the article. Is it possible these were really golf shoes? Was he dressed to go golfing? Did something happen on the way? I really would like the times.

An Illinois Search and Rescue Council Missing Person Questionnaire obtained via the FOIA request states that Cefolia was wearing khaki pants, a dark colored short-sleeve shirt, a baseball cap, and possibly hiking boots when he was last seen. A law enforcement source said the clothing description was an estimate based on poor-quality video captured at the gas station.

Last edited:
His golf clubs were found in his vehicle. Someone matching his description was seen on surveillance at the gas station. Can police confirm with certainty that was in fact Jake at the gas station and not someone who resembled him?

Those clubs in the car leave room for considering foul play, imo. Is it possible someone else drove Jakes car to the location it was found?

His golf clubs were found in his vehicle. Someone matching his description was seen on surveillance at the gas station. Can police confirm with certainty that was in fact Jake at the gas station and not someone who resembled him?

Those clubs in the car leave room for considering foul play, imo. Is it possible someone else drove Jakes car to the location it was found?
I’m curious about that too. Wondering if he commonly wore a hat? And was the one he had on known?

Or even after the gas station he could have met with foul play. Scenarios like- can you drop this off on your way...I’ll meet you here.

unless—- there is still more info we don’t know..which I presume there is.

I believe the corporate event he missed that day was a golf outing. Sounds to me like he was heading to that and foul play happened somewhere along the way. His clothing certainly sounded more like golf wear than for a run. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back