Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #48

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this on TV .

@Niner @Seattle1 Looks like September 8 is not the next court date according to this.

What Letecia Stauch's letter to a judge could mean for her case - KRDO

The court has not decided if Letecia Stauch is competent to stand trial yet. Her next court date has not been scheduled.
Thank you.

Although LS ROA to 8/28/20 remains blank (case summary deleted when she was ordered for competency exam), the last time ROA populated or June 24 to July 20 ROA, the following was reported:

CONT TO 21DD REVW ON 8/7/20 AT 9AM; 9/8/20 DATE REMAINS BUT COURT WANTS ANOTHER REVIEW DATE JUST

It's scheduled but does not mean it won't be canceled or stricken from the docket.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/ROA JUNE 24 TO JULY 20 2020.pdf

@Niner

Aug 31, 2020

EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) -- Letecia Stauch, the woman accused of killing her 11-year-old stepson, penned a letter to an El Paso County court judge earlier this month, claiming abuse. But how will it affect her case?

[..]

KRDO sat down with criminal defense attorney Jeremy Loew to ask what effects a letter like this could have on her case.

How often do defendants write letters to the judge in their case?

"They're written actually very rarely, probably 1 out of every 20 cases does a defendant decide they need to communicate directly to the judge. The reason why it's so rare is any criminal defense attorney would absolutely advise their client not to do this.

[..]

What was your impression of the letter?

"When I initially read the letter, I thought she came across very coherent in the beginning of the letter. She started rambling toward the middle and then returned to coherency at the end of the letter." [..] "This letter doesn't help that incompetency finding because she is coherent, she is able to communicate with her defense team.

[..]

Stauch complains she isn't able to meet with the defense team in-person due to COVID-19 restrictions. Will those complaints hold up in court or better her chances for an appeal?

"No, because she does have access to her defense team. She may not have the access that she likes to her defense counsel but she is able to communicate with them. She's indicated there's over 30,000 pages of discovery. She has access to that discovery. Her defense team is likely having someone read that discovery to her on a weekly basis."

JMO If a note found its way into her sammich, she probably put it there.

Someone needs to take away her paper.

JMO and PB&J

Cant have written it herself she expressly mentions in the letter that she has no access to pens to write with, well,apart from the one she had access to in order to write a lengthy letter to the judge complaining about all the things she doesnt have access to :rolleyes:;):D

ITA.
She isn't a safe one to leave alone with anyone.
Did Jodi Arias have a cellmate?

Yes, Jodi Arias did have a cellmate. Her name was Tracy Brown. According to a People.com article dated June 5, 2020, LS does not have regular contact with other inmates. Maybe the difference between the two is that Jodi never attempted an escape or assaulted any deputies to my knowledge. I am only providing a link to the interview with Tracy Brown, who shared a cell with Jodi for five months in the Estrella Jail, to back up my statement.

Below is the portion of the People.com article that is relevant:

"Stauch, who has no regular contact with the others incarcerated there, allegedly sneaked the notes through the crack beneath the other inmate's cell door. The affidavit alleges Stauch's notes included drawings and other plans, as well as a key request: that the other inmate somehow provide her with the broken end of a broom."

The link to the full People.com article is below:
Gannon Stauch's Stepmom, Accused in Colo. Boy's Killing, Planned to Escape Jail: Affidavit

What was your impression of the letter?

"When I initially read the letter, I thought she came across very coherent in the beginning of the letter. She started rambling toward the middle and then returned to coherency at the end of the letter." [..] "This letter doesn't help that incompetency finding because she is coherent, she is able to communicate with her defense team.

I thought that her letter to the judge could hurt her case for incompetency to stand trial. She may seem crazy for lying about things that can be easily refuted, but LS clearly is participating in her defense and asking to be even more involved. If LS has been found to be incompetent to stand trial, I wonder if the prosecutor can ask the judge to reconsider, based on her letter.

Stauch complains she isn't able to meet with the defense team in-person due to COVID-19 restrictions. Will those complaints hold up in court or better her chances for an appeal?

"No, because she does have access to her defense team. She may not have the access that she likes to her defense counsel but she is able to communicate with them. She's indicated there's over 30,000 pages of discovery. She has access to that discovery. Her defense team is likely having someone read that discovery to her on a weekly basis."

I thought this was interesting. If she is given access to her defense, LS can't argue about the quality of her access. But, it doesn't sound like LS is having video conferences with her defense team. With a video conference, someone wouldn't have to read the discovery to LS; she could read the discovery herself on a video screen. Maybe Jeremy Loew is simply going by LS's claim that she only gets three phone calls per week from her defense team.

I don't see how LS could be found incompetent. Not with that letter to the judge. She clearly is competent and even upset that she hasn't been able to see her attorney. She's not talking like she's a nut, but a liar. We already know she's sneaky and violent but that's not incompetent. She's competent to stand trial. moo

I don't see how LS could be found incompetent. Not with that letter to the judge. She clearly is competent and even upset that she hasn't been able to see her attorney. She's not talking like she's a nut, but a liar. We already know she's sneaky and violent but that's not incompetent. She's competent to stand trial. moo

I don't either, but, until we get the completed evaluation, incompetency is still a possibility, and that worries me. I hope we find out on Sept. 8th that she has been ruled competent to stand trial, and there are no more delays. I really believe the defense team asked for this evaluation as a delaying tactic. I also believe, based on the letter, that LS doesn't want to be ruled incompetent to stand trial. She desperately wants the judge to consider herself at least his equal in intelligence and education. IMO, she wants to go to trial to prove her innocence. There are several times in the letter when LS attempts to show the judge how much she knows about the law, U.S. history, the Bill of Rights, and the Supreme Court.

P.S. I hope the Sept. 8th court hearing isn't postponed.

Last edited:
I'm not an attorney but several posts have seemed to imply the competency ruling has already been made but we just don't know what it is.

I don't think that's correct. Since TS is back in jail, the competency evaluation at Pueblo apparently has been completed. The resulting evaluation report sent to the judge, the defense, and the prosecutor via the clerk of court will contain many things--- diagnoses, if any, prognosis, data relevant to diagnoses, and most importantly, the evaluation team's opinion about her competency. It won't contain "a ruling" though.

The judge makes the ruling, not the psychiatrists and psychologists. Obviously he'll depend on the report but his ruling doesn't have to agree with the opinion of the Pueblo team. I'd think he'd state reasons for disagreeing if he did disagree, but my point is just that he can disagree.

The judge may very well have decided but I kind of doubt there's been an official ruling published but it's being kept under wraps.

Personally I think she'll be found competent. It's not a very high bar. But I do think the defense had to raise the question of her competency or else questions about their professional competency could have been (and should have been) raised. And they know alot more about her behavior and thought processes than we do.

JMO

@girlhasnoname : Thank you for the 1000x likes!

@DTPeke : Gotta love the peanut butter face!

@Campizi67 : I hadn't heard the term "Attention *advertiser censored*" before; now, I suspect my friend was being polite.

And, yes, I suspect she's getting extra nuts with her eats these days.

@BigTexas : So many of these cases will stay with us, all of our days. Every time I see a penny on the sidewalk, I think of Harley Dilly.

Today's treats:

chocDonutsFilledHoles.jpg multiColoredCups.jpg

that strawberry looked at me strangely, the peas were speaking to the mash and said they hated me...
Probably lining up a psych defense for herself.. take no notice, she does crazy better than anyone..

Oh, good grief!! @kittythehare : this it too funny!

Thanks, All of You. I got up on the grouchy side of the bed today. You All have obliterated my crankiness.

@girlhasnoname : Thank you for the 1000x likes!

@DTPeke : Gotta love the peanut butter face!

@Campizi67 : I hadn't heard the term "Attention *advertiser censored*" before; now, I suspect my friend was being polite.

And, yes, I suspect she's getting extra nuts with her eats these days.

@BigTexas : So many of these cases will stay with us, all of our days. Every time I see a penny on the sidewalk, I think of Harley Dilly.

Today's treats:

View attachment 262256 View attachment 262257

Lol,I thought you were pointing out your friend saying "horn" instead of "*advertiser censored*" because LS was saying " cohersion" instead of coercion, I have a friend who insists on saying"pacific" instead of "specific" or "pacifically" etc,she also says sacrificed when she means cremated,it drives me nuts :rolleyes::D

LS is clearly competent to participate or aid in her own defense. The fact that she doesn't like how or where notwithstanding. Deal with it buttercup--you're not special.

I'm not an attorney but several posts have seemed to imply the competency ruling has already been made but we just don't know what it is.

I don't think that's correct. Since TS is back in jail, the competency evaluation at Pueblo apparently has been completed. The resulting evaluation report sent to the judge, the defense, and the prosecutor via the clerk of court will contain many things--- diagnoses, if any, prognosis, data relevant to diagnoses, and most importantly, the evaluation team's opinion about her competency. It won't contain "a ruling" though.

The judge makes the ruling, not the psychiatrists and psychologists. Obviously he'll depend on the report but his ruling doesn't have to agree with the opinion of the Pueblo team. I'd think he'd state reasons for disagreeing if he did disagree, but my point is just that he can disagree.

The judge may very well have decided but I kind of doubt there's been an official ruling published but it's being kept under wraps.

Personally I think she'll be found competent. It's not a very high bar. But I do think the defense had to raise the question of her competency or else questions about their professional competency could have been (and should have been) raised. And they know alot more about her behavior and thought processes than we do.
JMO

I think the fact that LS was returned to EPCJ is a pretty good indication that the judge will rule LS competent.

In the court order requiring LS to be sent to CMHIP, the prosecutor also put the court and the defense on notice that they demanded 24 hours notice prior to LS being admitted for care as a result of her evaluation. IMO, the prosecutor demanded 24 hours to satisfy that LS wasn't somehow manipulating the system.

MOO

ETA: See orders 3 & 4

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...Competency Evaluation Redacted by Records.pdf

Last edited:
Oh Gosh. LS is talking more.....LS called Leigh Egan from the El Paso County jail......

Update on Letecia from Leigh Egan from CrimeOnline on WS Youtube tonight.

This is in the first few minutes of the show.
A recorded call from jail to Leigh is played. I cannot decipher some of it.....it is brief, basically, LS running her duck lips saying AS was a serial cheater. Leigh Egan emphasizes this is all alleged. LS wants to make it clear she did not steal or cheat with AS when he was with Landen. Landen warned LS about AS cheating. Mentions the new girlfriend that AS has now. AS cheated in Alaska, that is the reason they left Alaska.

I feel dirty typing this. I hate her (to be clear this is me DTPeke saying this part)....LOL:mad::(:eek::D

LS maintains her innocence. NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILITY TO WHAT HAPPENED TO GANNON. LS shared her theory/story of what actually happened to Gannon. Leigh was not comfortable sharing this part of the conversation until it is run through the Crime Online legal department. Apparently LS named/accused people.

LS gets one hour out of her cell daily when she can make calls but Leigh says it is not a set time and has missed previous calls from her. Leigh says LS loves to talk.

BOTH Tricia and Leigh warn that this is LS and be careful what is believed. ALL is alleged.

I am falling asleep. Night night termites. Hope that was coherent. Please excuse any typos or missed info....

I think the fact that LS was returned to EPCJ is a pretty good indication that the judge will rule LS competent.

In the court order requiring LS to be sent to CMHIP, the prosecutor also put the court and the defense on notice that they demanded 24 hours notice prior to LS being admitted for care as a result of her evaluation. IMO, the prosecutor demanded 24 hours to satisfy that LS wasn't somehow manipulating the system.

MOO

ETA: See orders 3 & 4

https://www.courts.state.co.us/userfiles/file/Court_Probation/04th_Judicial_District/El_Paso/Stauch/D-15 Order for Competency Evaluation Redacted by Records.pdf

I expect you are correct, @Seattle1. She'll be found competent. But I don't see anything in your attached material that says 24 hour notice is to be given to the prosecution before any restoration care commences. So I'm not sure that's true.

I remember the prosecution objected to immediate restoration. I can think of several reasons why. But I don't see anything in what you've attached about the prosecution being given 24 hours notice so I don't think we can guess the competency outcome on that basis.

The only place 24 hours is mentioned that I can see is in (4). And I'm not an attorney but it seems that has to do with sending materials TO Pueblo for the upcoming eval.

In (3) the prosecution's objection is noted. But I think this is why as the citation matches the citation in (3) of the order (italics and bold added by me below)

(b.5) When the court orders an inpatient evaluation, the court shall advise the defendant that restoration services may commence immediately if the evaluation concludes that the defendant is incompetent to proceed, unless either party objects at the time of the advisement, or within seventy-two hours after the receipt of the written evaluation submitted to the court. The court shall record any objection to the order of commitment to the department.

From Section 16-8.5-105 - [Effective Until TBD] Evaluations, locations, time frames, and report, Colo. Rev. Stat. § 16-8.5-105 | Casetext Search + Citator

Oh Gosh. LS is talking more.....LS called Leigh Egan from the El Paso County jail......

Update on Letecia from Leigh Egan from CrimeOnline on WS Youtube tonight.

This is in the first few minutes of the show.
A recorded call from jail to Leigh is played. I cannot decipher some of it.....it is brief, basically, LS running her duck lips saying AS was a serial cheater. Leigh Egan emphasizes this is all alleged. LS wants to make it clear she did not steal or cheat with AS when he was with Landen. Landen warned LS about AS cheating. Mentions the new girlfriend that AS has now. AS cheated in Alaska, that is the reason they left Alaska.

I feel dirty typing this. I hate her (to be clear this is me DTPeke saying this part)....LOL:mad::(:eek::D

LS maintains her innocence. NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILITY TO WHAT HAPPENED TO GANNON. LS shared her theory/story of what actually happened to Gannon. Leigh was not comfortable sharing this part of the conversation until it is run through the Crime Online legal department. Apparently LS named/accused people.

LS gets one hour out of her cell daily when she can make calls but Leigh says it is not a set time and has missed previous calls from her. Leigh says LS loves to talk.

BOTH Tricia and Leigh warn that this is LS and be careful what is believed. ALL is alleged.

I am falling asleep. Night night termites. Hope that was coherent. Please excuse any typos or missed info....

I just knew LS wasn't going to shut up and follow her attorney's advice.
I'll repeat again. She reminds me of Jodi Arias. We haven't heard the last of her.
moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member