IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

No body. But she was close to family & friends. Highly social. Very ambitious. No one’s heard a peep from her since that day. I think she’s no longer living. Could be held in captivity, but highly unlikely. Not impossible though.

Nothing is impossible, but it is highly improbable that she is alive IMO

parking-lot-crime-scene-evidence-photos-in-the-disappearance-of-jodi-huisentruit-cbs-news-png.262571

Last edited:
As to the key at the Key Apts.: There is an image of the Miata key on the surface of the parking lot. It would seem likely that the Miata key had, as is customary, been on a key chain. Was a key chain also found? Had it been damaged, as if key had come off by force, perhaps the same force that resulted in the key becoming bent? Or was key chain undamaged, as if key had been intentionally removed?

It would seem reasonable to assume that since a physical altercation apparently took place, that is why the key, when found, was not on a key chain. Certainly possible, even likely. Or had the key perhaps been removed from key chain during an argument over the vehicle, before the argument may have devolved into a physical assault? The shouting match/screams went on at length - one minute or so - according to a witness. Here is a pic of the key - must have been only slightly bent....
parking-lot-crime-scene-evidence-photos-in-the-disappearance-of-jodi-huisentruit-cbs-news-png.262572

Attachments

• Parking-Lot-Crime-Scene-Evidence-photos-in-the-disappearance-of-Jodi-Huisentruit-CBS-News.png
    Parking-Lot-Crime-Scene-Evidence-photos-in-the-disappearance-of-Jodi-Huisentruit-CBS-News.png
    270.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
I hope we find out someday what happened to Jodi but I am not optimistic-- I know what I think but speculating isn't enough: there has to be proof and after all these years they apparently don't have enough to arrest anyone.

I hope we find out someday what happened to Jodi but I am not optimistic-- I know what I think but speculating isn't enough: there has to be proof and after all these years they apparently don't have enough to arrest anyone.
I think that way too. Then I remember what a dismally botched job LE did for years. I hope an entirely new highly experienced team will come in, re-examine, reread, reinterview, retest & find that one tiny needle-in-a-haystack smoking gun that brings closure.

Hypothesizing is integral to solving challenging mysteries, resolving unanswered questions.

As to the key at the Key Apts.: There is an image of the Miata key on the surface of the parking lot. It would seem likely that the Miata key had, as is customary, been on a key chain. Was a key chain also found? Had it been damaged, as if key had come off by force, perhaps the same force that resulted in the key becoming bent? Or was key chain undamaged, as if key had been intentionally removed?

It would seem reasonable to assume that since a physical altercation apparently took place, that is why the key, when found, was not on a key chain. Certainly possible, even likely. Or had the key perhaps been removed from key chain during an argument over the vehicle, before the argument may have devolved into a physical assault? The shouting match/screams went on at length - one minute or so - according to a witness. Here is a pic of the key - must have been only slightly bent....
parking-lot-crime-scene-evidence-photos-in-the-disappearance-of-jodi-huisentruit-cbs-news-png.262572
This case has so many rabbit holes and seems to go off on all kinds of tangents that lead nowhere. Lots of suspects that can be linked by rumors or conjecture but no real evidence except for the parking lot “crime scene”. There is the scattered items that she would have taken to work that day and there was the bent key. Either: 1) She was attacked by someone who had been laying in wait and pounced, as she put her key into the keyhole, with enough force to cause the key to bend. Or: 2) Someone she knew well lured her into a situation where she was vulnerable and then staged the scene in the parking lot to appear as if a stranger abducted her. If this was the case, that person knew what items she would be bringing to work.

I have always been curious/skeptical of the bent key. A crime scene analyst should have been able to determine the direction she was attacked from and the amount of force that was exerted on the hand holding the key. From that starting point, the position of the scattered items she would have been holding, would tell the story of the struggle.

Does this scene stand up to scrutiny? While someone may have been good enough (or lucky enough) to fool the experts, most likely, if the scene was staged, there would have been pretty strong suspicions. If the whole scene was strongly consistent with an attack and a struggle, it probably was a stranger abduction. If the scene appears to have been staged, it was probably someone she knew since, had a stranger abducted her by some other means, there would be no reason to stage the scene to look like a stranger abduction.

This case has so many rabbit holes and seems to go off on all kinds of tangents that lead nowhere. Lots of suspects that can be linked by rumors or conjecture but no real evidence except for the parking lot “crime scene”. There is the scattered items that she would have taken to work that day and there was the bent key. Either: 1) She was attacked by someone who had been laying in wait and pounced, as she put her key into the keyhole, with enough force to cause the key to bend. Or: 2) Someone she knew well lured her into a situation where she was vulnerable and then staged the scene in the parking lot to appear as if a stranger abducted her. If this was the case, that person knew what items she would be bringing to work.

I have always been curious/skeptical of the bent key. A crime scene analyst should have been able to determine the direction she was attacked from and the amount of force that was exerted on the hand holding the key. From that starting point, the position of the scattered items she would have been holding, would tell the story of the struggle.

Does this scene stand up to scrutiny? While someone may have been good enough (or lucky enough) to fool the experts, most likely, if the scene was staged, there would have been pretty strong suspicions. If the whole scene was strongly consistent with an attack and a struggle, it probably was a stranger abduction. If the scene appears to have been staged, it was probably someone she knew since, had a stranger abducted her by some other means, there would be no reason to stage the scene to look like a stranger abduction.

Good post. I have always thought that someone grabbed her, and while wrapping her up, and the force of one of their bodies caused the key to bend, which would mean the suspect ambushed her just as she put the key into the car door.

Could the bent key found on the ground (without a key ring) have been the spare , and Jodi interrupted the person who bought if for her attempting to reclaim it ?

just assuming Jodi or the dealer would have had a key ring of some sort on the main key ?

Could the bent key found on the ground (without a key ring) have been the spare , and Jodi interrupted the person who bought if for her attempting to reclaim it ? just assuming Jodi or the dealer would have had a key ring of some sort on the main key ?
Interesting. Yet, the whole notion of the Miata transaction as the impetus for Jodi's presumed murder seems far-fetched, right?

Until one considers that the seller supposedly said (to 48Hours?) he only ever met Jodi one time - when he handed her the keys. That seems at odds with both what JV had supposedly said to his friend LaDonna - that the Miata was a gift to Jodi from a 'boyfriend'. A boyfriend! - who was this mystery boyfriend? And also at odds with what the poster on findjodi said in 2011 - that it was well known that the seller and Jodi had been seen together on multiple occasions. Was the seller lying about not knowing Jodi, and if so why? I wonder if Jodi's phone records too were at odds with seller's apparent assertion that he had no contact with Jodi other than handing her the keys. Did Jodi's phone records from 1995 show any contacts with the seller of the Miata (and for that matter, did the records show who was making the creepy calls)? And why had Jodi been permitted to use the seller's plates? That is not the norm. And for 3 full weeks and running. Just odd. And where did Jodi get the money for the car, which would have been a bit pricey for a young gal in Jodi's line of work? Any evidence of financing?

And then there is this, from a Fox9 article: "...the other witness is a jogger who was running by Huisentruit's apartment complex at the time of the abduction who saw a mysterious car speeding away from the scene with its lights off'". Speeding - in a hurry. Lights off - evasive. Who was driving that car? Was Jodi dating some mystery man? Did he spend the night?

Last edited:
Interesting. Yet, the whole notion of the Miata transaction as the impetus for Jodi's presumed murder seems far-fetched, right?

Until one considers that the seller supposedly said (to 48Hours?) he only ever met Jodi one time - when he handed her the keys. That seems at odds with both what JV had supposedly said to his friend LaDonna - that the Miata was a gift to Jodi from a 'boyfriend'. A boyfriend! - who was this mystery boyfriend? And also at odds with what the poster on findjodi said in 2011 - that it was well known that the seller and Jodi had been seen together on multiple occasions. Was the seller lying about not knowing Jodi, and if so why? I wonder if Jodi's phone records too were at odds with seller's apparent assertion that he had no contact with Jodi other than handing her the keys. Did Jodi's phone records from 1995 show any contacts with the seller of the Miata (and for that matter, did the records show who was making the creepy calls)? And why had Jodi been permitted to use the seller's plates? That is not the norm. And for 3 full weeks and running. Just odd. And where did Jodi get the money for the car, which would have been a bit pricey for a young gal in Jodi's line of work? Any evidence of financing?

And then there is this, from a Fox9 article: "...the other witness is a jogger who was running by Huisentruit's apartment complex at the time of the abduction who saw a mysterious car speeding away from the scene with its lights off'". Speeding - in a hurry. Lights off - evasive. Who was driving that car? Was Jodi dating some mystery man? Did he spend the night?
Perhaps John L was just as jealous as John V. After all, Jodi was hanging out with JV the night before- at his apartment. Perhaps JL‘s calls to Jodi went unanswered & he became enraged that she was spending time w JV when JL had just “given” her a flashy car.

If @Markybug ’s theory is right, maybe it wasn’t the perp who knocked keys out of Jodi’s hands, but Jodi who knocked the key out of the perp’s hands. Fingerprints should be able to confirm or negate. Maybe it began as a repossession/ argument that escalated to accidental death. Followed by cover-up/ concealment.

I’ve never seen mention of phone records- surely LE explored that? Also never heard much mention of JL other than brief questioning by LE. If he was a prominent citizen, perhaps no one ever really explored the possibility of his involvement. All speculation, jmo, etc.

riddle me tbis- how does a surprised scream sound??? that interpretation makes
no sense. IMO
It did not make sense at first, but now i see/hear the difference.
If i am walking along, lost in thought or purpose and suddenly spot a gross dead animal or a living long- tail, i would be inclined to make a quick, high aaahhhhh (surprised, scream) likely the same sound i would make if someone (nonthreatening) appeared in front of me seemingly out of nowhere.
If i was really scared, the scream would be longer, louder and piercing.
Makes me wonder now, if Jodi uttered a "surprise scream" because the person(s) appeared out of nowhere and maybe was not particularly intimidating looking, speculation, imo.

Scientists Now Know Why People Scream
Surprise Scream Sound Effects ~ Surprise Scream Sounds | Pond5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong