Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *Arrest* #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is very experienced. I am honestly not worried... Leticia is competent to stand trial... there is no doubt in my mind.

About-Me

- She has received extensive training and experience in the assessment of competency to proceed and decisional capacity in older adults and has completed over 1000 forensic evaluations.

- Additionally, she has presented to various state and local agencies on a range of psycho-legal topics including: the role of a forensic psychologist in competency and sanity cases; psychological considerations for death penalty cases; a psychological perspective of capacity; and, navigating the psychological report in guardianship and competency evaluations.

- She completed 2000 hours of post-doctoral forensic training under the supervision of a board certified forensic psychologist at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo.

She is very experienced. I am honestly not worried... Leticia is competent to stand trial... there is no doubt in my mind.

About-Me

- She has received extensive training and experience in the assessment of competency to proceed and decisional capacity in older adults and has completed over 1000 forensic evaluations.

- Additionally, she has presented to various state and local agencies on a range of psycho-legal topics including: the role of a forensic psychologist in competency and sanity cases; psychological considerations for death penalty cases; a psychological perspective of capacity; and, navigating the psychological report in guardianship and competency evaluations.

- She completed 2000 hours of post-doctoral forensic training under the supervision of a board certified forensic psychologist at the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Pueblo.

The issue is not her competency, it's that she gets to cause more delays and prolonged suffering for all and sundry, with impunity.

The issue is not her competency, it's that she gets to cause more delays and prolonged suffering for all and sundry, with impunity.

I agree, but the two evals are law in Colorado. I guess i didn't even consider that they wouldn't request the second one. She is not a good person so the suffering of others wouldn't face her. Yes, it prolongs things, but I would also think that it may help down the road to have 2 experts say that she is competent. MOO.

I'm listening as well - I'd share how to get in the virtual courtroom there but not sure it's allowed.

Seems as though the daughter is in attendance as well.

The letter wrote LS wrote to the judge has been brought up.

@GoJacks, I assume you're talking about LS's daughter, HH?

Did the judge address her concerns from the letter or did he just say he'd received it? Did he sing her the "Star Spangled Banner" or "It's a Grand Old Flag?"

MOO JMO

I agree, but the two evals are law in Colorado. I guess i didn't even consider that they wouldn't request the second one. She is not a good person so the suffering of others wouldn't face her. Yes, it prolongs things, but I would also think that it may help down the road to have 2 experts say that she is competent. MOO.

Yes, and the way I look at all of this is that if it helps make this an iron clad case with no grounds/chance for the evil one to ask for the verdict to be thrown out, I'm all for it no matter how long it takes!

MOO JMO

Yes, and the way I look at all of this is that if it helps make this an iron clad case with no grounds/chance for the evil one to ask for the verdict to be thrown out, I'm all for it no matter how long it takes!

MOO JMO

Agree with you 100% @MtnMama! Everything must be done by the book and two experts saying competent is better than one. We don't want a situation down the road where Leticia acts like she didn't know she had that option and stirs the pot when court attendances for Gannon's family are finally over as she was sentenced. Better make is titanium now...

I love reading that she is competent. If she is entitled to a second opinion, I am all for it even if it takes more time to get to trial. She is going to be found competent and, ultimately, guilty of killing Gannon. I would imagine his family would like sooner rather than later but I am sure they want her to be put in jail for the rest of her life with no valid opportunities for an appeal. Once she is guilty, I look forward to her never having another day in court. She can rot for all I care. Justice for Gannon and his family---that is what I want.

The public defenders really stood up in a court of law today and said “are you SURE she’s competent for trial?” I get that they have the legal right to do it but they wouldn’t do it to prolong this process right? Could this be a legal filibuster in some sense for them? It’s either that or they really think Tee’s not competent JMOO I’m just curious.

From KOAA Channel 5 journalist Collete Bordelon.
https://twitter.com/colettebordelon/status/1303416144246837249?s=21

I’m here at the courthouse... waiting to see if I’ll be let inside (COVID-19 precautions). I can confirm that #AlStauch, #GannonStauch’s father has arrived. @KOAA

I’m inside now. This proceeding is not to be recorded. They’re here to review the status of #LeteciaStauch’s competency evaluation, which was done. @KOAA

Prosecution has also seen it. Defense already has a second opinion lined up. They are not sure of a specific timeframe.

Letecia Stauch is in the courtroom. She has not looked up much. State hospital found her competent to stand trial, but defense will challenge that with a second opinion. That review is set for Nov. 12 at 9 AM. @KOAA

Now discussing the further clarification on what EPSO can release to the public regarding in-custody complaints from Letecia Stauch. Defense says their fear is weighing public interest vs. Stauch’s right to privacy. @KOAA

Defense objects to releasing those records. Says it could be harmful to Stauch’s rights to privacy and a fair trial. Prosecution reminds everyone that the media requests were in response to a letter written by Stauch. @KOAA

Judge says he expects the sheriff’s office to examine the requests as they would any other request. Sheriff’s office says they will comply, and produce what they are entitled to under the CCJRA requirements (the kind of request made).

The second opinion on the competency evaluation has been extended past 35 days from now because of coronavirus concerns (defense says that’s a good reason to extend). However, they can always bring it back to court sooner whenever the evaluation is completed.

By the way, the autopsy of #GannonStauch has been completed and given to both the defense and prosecution. @KOAA

So it seems we will we be seeing the autopsy soon?

I did quick research. Autopsies are public in Colorado.

The El Paso County coroner says the DA needs to approve records release in homicide cases, but the state case law seems to only allow withholding autopsy records in extreme circumstances.
Autopsy Report Request - El Paso County Coroner

A. Autopsy and coroners reports Archives - The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

MOO

“Autopsy reports are not criminal justice records. An autopsy report on a homicide victim may be withheld from public inspection by its custodian only under the procedure in the Open Records Act for denying access based on "substantial injury to the public interest."

I don’t think we’re gonna see it until after the trial JMO. The DA Allen has made it clear he doesn’t want this case and the investigation to play out in the public. This report could jeopardize things. I’m guessing it’ll be gone over during pretrial though.

Last edited:
defense don't want second assessment recorded, I wonder why!!
The first competency evaluation was recorded, but the defense argued it shouldn’t have been, and they don’t want the second one recorded. Both sides have a copy of the first recording, but have been ordered not to watch it until the judge decides it’s okay.
9:46 PM · Sep 8, 2020 from Colorado Springs, CO·Twitter for iPhone

Julia Donovan KRDO

@JuliaDonovanTV

·
1h

Replying to
@JuliaDonovanTV
Both sides were told to submit briefings on why they should/shouldn’t be allowed to watch the recording, then the judge will decide.

Nope. The Governor vetoed that bill.

The DA/Coroner can fight the autopsy release, but the recent case law I have seen indicates that they will lose and are likely to be held responsible for the media’s attorney fees if they fight it. autopsy reports Archives | Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan