GUILTY Australia - Ann-Marie Smith, 54, died in sus circumstances, Adelaide, 6 Apr 2020 *Carer Guilty*

Many don't like the Trustee and Guardian but I've been checking on them all along and they've been doing a great job paying my mother's bills and investments. They've always consulted with me. I wouldn't like to take on the job and I wouldn't trust some of my siblings and their partners to take over. This is the fairest method IMO>
My sister would have looked after her husband, financially, although he spent his super on silly things. They then wanted to take her share of the house to 'support' him. Thankfully, he had the good grace to die.

My sister would have looked after her husband, financially, although he spent his super on silly things. They then wanted to take her share of the house to 'support' him. Thankfully, he had the good grace to die.

That's exactly why a professional should look after the funds. The Trustee would've placed Ann-Marie's money into a trust at the highest, safest interest rate possible and no-one could've got their hands on it. Her pension and her interest would've kept her housed and fed.

That's exactly why a professional should look after the funds. The Trustee would've placed Ann-Marie's money into a trust at the highest, safest interest rate possible and no-one could've got their hands on it. Her pension and her interest would've kept her housed and fed.
It has never been publicly confirmed that Annie had an intellectual disability. Only half of people with cerebral palsy have an intellectual disability and only 1 in 5 have a moderate to severe intellectual disability. How does cerebral palsy affect people? | Cerebral Palsy Alliance

it is possible Annie had the intellectual capacity to manage her own funds and make her own decisions. Des Bray in one press conference said Annie was the person responsible for organising the services for her car (she didn’t drive, but owned a car that carers could use to transport her in). Lots of articles have been posted to the thread outlining this information for those interested. It was (IMO) her physical disabilities that made her vulnerable to abuse. She can’t get out of a chair on her own, so very easy for a carer to leave her in the chair and control her access to phone, iPad, even food.

To answer earlier questions, Annie was a wealthy woman. She was left a large cash inheritance by her parents, she owned her own house built for her by her parents, she could afford to spend around $30 000 on jewellery for herself over a ten year period (the jeweller came forward with information about the pieces he had designed for her.) Due to this wealth Annie would not have been on any pension (NDIS on the other hand is not means-tested). Of course, if the Public Trustee were responsible then heads should roll.

re: Integrity Care: they were deregistered from the NDIS but they may still be able to provide services to clients who are not with the NDIS, such as clients over 65 who are now designated “aged care”. If you have employees who don’t want to talk, sounds like a toxic work environment. The bosses have definitely got something to hide. They know they failed their duty of care to Annie.

Last edited:
It has never been publicly confirmed that Annie had an intellectual disability. Only half of people with cerebral palsy have an intellectual disability and only 1 in 5 have a moderate to severe intellectual disability. How does cerebral palsy affect people? | Cerebral Palsy Alliance

it is possible Annie had the intellectual capacity to manage her own funds and make her own decisions. Des Bray in one press conference said Annie was the person responsible for organising the services for her car (she didn’t drive, but owned a car that carers could use to transport her in). Lots of articles have been posted to the thread outlining this information for those interested. It was (IMO) her physical disabilities that made her vulnerable to abuse. She can’t get out of a chair on her own, so very easy for a carer to leave her in the chair and control her access to phone, iPad, even food.

To answer earlier questions, Annie was a wealthy woman. She was left a large cash inheritance by her parents, she owned her own house built for her by her parents, she could afford to spend around $30 000 on jewellery for herself over a ten year period (the jeweller came forward with information about the pieces he had designed for her.) Due to this wealth Annie would not have been on any pension (NDIS on the other hand is not means-tested). Of course, if the Public Trustee were responsible then heads should roll.

re: Integrity Care: they were deregistered from the NDIS but they may still be able to provide services to clients who are not with the NDIS, such as clients over 65 who are now designated “aged care”. If you have employees who don’t want to talk, sounds like a toxic work environment. The bosses have definitely got something to hide. They know they failed their duty of care to Annie.
Why are you calling her Annie? Is that a nick name?

T
Why are you calling her Annie? Is that a nick name?
That is what the police are calling her. See the last couple of press conferences. I think that when they started investigating and putting out information they did not know so much about her. Earliest reports identify her as Ann-Marie Smith, later reports as Ann Marie Smith (without hyphen) likely due to correction from people who came forward who knew Annie. Then in press conferences she was referred to as Ann, and now Annie probably because that was how she was known when alive. (I’m just guessing.)

Most recent press conference from today:

This is so incredibly sad. She was wealthy and unable to
defend herself due to her physical limitations. The
supposed "carer", and I use the term VERY loosely,
saw an opportunity and ran with it, and who knows,
may have had help from other unscrupulous people.
Thank you to the OP for posting.

The NDIS is changing the way it operates. From 2021, no longer will plans be done based on reports provided by providers, but by independent assessors who visit the homes of NDIS recipients and applicants.

While this is an unpopular move for some who believe reports by therapists and service providers are better, I feel having independent assessors visit people's homes every year will perhaps result in less cases like this occurring.

(As sunnybree stated, NDIS isn't means tested. It's entirely needs-based, as in your disability needs, and is only about providing what you need for your disability. It's not a pension, or an educational supplement (if your person being cared for is a child), etc. So regardless of this lady's wealth, she would have been able to access it. It also is just as much for physical disabilities as it is intellectual & neurological disabilities, so anybody without an intellectual disability is fully able to manage their NDIS funding themselves)

The NDIS is changing the way it operates. From 2021, no longer will plans be done based on reports provided by providers, but by independent assessors who visit the homes of NDIS recipients and applicants.

While this is an unpopular move for some who believe reports by therapists and service providers are better, I feel having independent assessors visit people's homes every year will perhaps result in less cases like this occurring.

(As sunnybree stated, NDIS isn't means tested. It's entirely needs-based, as in your disability needs, and is only about providing what you need for your disability. It's not a pension, or an educational supplement (if your person being cared for is a child), etc. So regardless of this lady's wealth, she would have been able to access it. It also is just as much for physical disabilities as it is intellectual & neurological disabilities, so anybody without an intellectual disability is fully able to manage their NDIS funding themselves)

I agree. If this had been in place it might have saved her life. Her care package seems terribly inadequate. It will be interesting to see what gets uncovered there.

Thanks for this information- I did not know this. I think it is good news and will go some way to helping make the NDIS more accessible (assessments can be prohibitively expensive) and also keep an eye on ongoing needs. Going to do some research .

Fresh twist in case of carer charged over disabled woman 'left to rot in her own excrement' | Daily Mail Online

Interesting. There are some comments from a family member as well (an uncle). I believe this family member was interviewed by The Advertiser a week or two ago, but their articles are paywalled. Ms Maione appears to have been a part of Ann’s life for a long time. The relationship seems to have soured though. Money running out and Ann’s value to Ms Maione decreases? No point in being nice if there is nothing left to “borrow” or steal? Other carers filling shifts moved on? (It appears there were once other carers, meaning Ann had avenues to complain to other people if Ms Maione treated her badly. But once Ms Maione had all the shifts she could control Ann more easily, just speculation.) Did Ann try to fight back or resist the theft and she was put into the chair to control or punish her? Was physical abuse and neglect occurring before then? (I’m guessing probably.)

There is something called “mate crime” and there is some interesting research on it though mostly on locked online journals (I’m not studying anymore, unfortunately.) Mate crime is when a person with a disability is befriended by a perpetrator who seeks the friendship solely to steal from and/or abuse the victim. A sadly common example is the adult with an intellectual disability who has 10 “friends” join him on payday every fortnight and buy alcohol and drugs together, only to vanish for the next thirteen days. There is also mate crime in the form of a perpetrator moving in to a person’s home and life, and manipulating them into handing over money, signing for debts, co-signing leases etc etc. Perpetrators often do this for paltry sums like someone’s Centrelink but some victims have quite a bit money. Many victims do this willingly because they are desperate for friendship and companionship.

Abuse by paid carers also occurs, resentment can be a motive. Ann had a lovely home, plenty of cash, expensive jewellery etc. Maybe the carer resented it. Leaving someone in a cane chair until their flesh starts rotting from pressure sores seems a very cruel thing to do, more like a punishment as opposed to an act of ignorance or exhaustion.

The bulk of the estate was left to an old school friend, according to this article, cash was largely stripped from Ann’s account though, and debt amassed. Ms Maione was not a beneficiary.

Carer pleads guilty to manslaughter of Ann Marie Smith in Adelaide court

It’s been a long time, but the criminal case appears settled with a guilty plea.

Ann Marie Smith's death led to swift changes to disability care, but are they enough?

Carer pleads guilty to manslaughter over Ann Marie Smith’s death

“Maione made no comment as she left the court but Mr Ey said his client would provide an explanation when the matter was heard later in the year.”

Can’t wait to hear that explanation.

Last edited:
Carer pleads guilty to manslaughter of Ann Marie Smith in Adelaide court

It’s been a long time, but the criminal case appears settled with a guilty plea.

Ann Marie Smith's death led to swift changes to disability care, but are they enough?

Carer pleads guilty to manslaughter over Ann Marie Smith’s death

“Maione made no comment as she left the court but Mr Ey said his client would provide an explanation when the matter was heard later in the year.”

Can’t wait to hear that explanation.

Thanks for this update. Such a horrific case.

I think there continues to be a really strong lack of governance in NDIS funded support. Regulator seems to be a toothless tiger. From the ABC article;
“Her care provider, Integrity Care SA, was fined more than $12,000 by the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission for failing to report her death.”
Seriously?

Thanks for this update. Such a horrific case.

I think there continues to be a really strong lack of governance in NDIS funded support. Regulator seems to be a toothless tiger. From the ABC article;
“Her care provider, Integrity Care SA, was fined more than $12,000 by the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission for failing to report her death.”
Seriously?

I guess once the sentencing is over the coronial inquest will go forward. Although that usually seems to take a long time. But maybe the inquest will be where all the systemic issues come out in the wash.

This is a link to an old article that used to be under a paywall, but is now freely available (for now anyway).
No Cookies | The Advertiser

It has some interesting insights, such as:
* Annie was a very private woman.
* Annie was very protective towards her paid carers.
* Annie’s brother did not state the reason for the estrangement, just that Annie did not want to see him anymore.
* The uncle said he last saw her in 2018 and she looked well. He is the carer for his wife and due to her needs he did not visit again.
* The uncle called Annie about seven months before she died. “We just chatted. I asked her if everything was all right and she said ‘yep, all good’. I asked when I could come and see her and she said she’s ‘out and about’, which surprised me. I thought maybe they had a new way of getting her up and mobile because to move her would have required a bit of work. She sounded good.”” (However if the police were correct, by this time Ann Marie was permanently in the cane chair and was experiencing the abuse and neglect that resulted in her death.)
* Ann Marie was provided with a very high level of care by her parents and was left an inheritance that included the house, a large cash sum, the furniture, and the car.
* She could walk with a frame in the mid 2000s but after a fall became more and more reliant on her chair. She was wheelchair bound for the last years of her life.
* I noticed on the timeline that while she briefly attended a special school, she then went to mainstream primary and high school.
* “Her family say Annie would have offered the world to her carers to do what she wanted them to do and to receive their affection.”

This is the biggest load of codswollop I’ve ever heard.

C’mon, Australia isn’t this stupid and if this is the case why was she a carer?
If she obviously drove a car, wrote out a report, or wiped her own backside then surely she could she the faeces Ann-Marie was in.
Lazy good for nothing witch!
Carer guilty of Ann Marie Smith's manslaughter 'may have smell, taste and sight issues'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back