Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of isolation and mental health in young adults .... what about a 19 year old young man, extremely intelligent and athletic, got burned out with school, took a gap year before college to work and is having an extremely difficult time at the moment. He has been seeing a therapist since he was 15 for social anxiety and depression. Upon turning 18, meds were introduced and we learned that he has hypothyroidism, so he also takes Synthroid.

Back in March he was working 35ish hours a week at a grocery store, had a girlfriend of 3 years, and planned to start college this fall. March 30th he had a bad day and walked off the job. ( I looked back to some FB post I had made in the weeks prior mentioning to be nice to grocery workers, because they were stressed, etc, so I should have seen this meltdown coming). He has not worked since. He broke up with his girlfriend. He talks to his guy friends on line, and rarely leaves the house.

His Synthroid had to be increased 2 weeks ago because of insomnia and other audio- immune symptoms showing their ugly face. Bottom line, this da*m pandemic is affecting his physical and mental health. He is afraid to get a job or go to school. Work from home jobs are hard to come by in our area, especially with all furloughs. Since school started, I'm trying to get him interested in tutoring, but he only wants to do that if he can do it from home.

I'm feeling like he is taking advantage of the circumstances, procrastinating and sometimes being just plain ole lazy; yet, he complains about being bored and is quite clingy to me these days which is unusual. His therapist says give him time. I'm afraid I may not truly understand these physiological symptoms...

Op-Ed: My patients can ‘feel well’ yet test positive for the coronavirus. They’re shocked, but I’m not

This is an interesting article; it kind of surprised me. A woman and her son who lived with her had a barbeque with 2 other people who did not live with them. That is only four people but they did not wear masks and they were presumably outdoors; the article doesn't say if they went in doors and sat around yakking. Anyway the mother got the virus and died. The article is about asymptomatic spreaders. It is a tale worth reading. I won't go anywhere, except to the grocery store and the doctor. I have some friends who wanted to have lunch outdoors, with masks and social distancing, but i cannot bring myself to do it.

I tested positive and really didn't have any symptoms. Had I not been told that I had been exposed, I never would have known.

Speaking of isolation and mental health in young adults .... what about a 19 year old young man, extremely intelligent and athletic, got burned out with school, took a gap year before college to work and is having an extremely difficult time at the moment. He has been seeing a therapist since he was 15 for social anxiety and depression. Upon turning 18, meds were introduced and we learned that he has hypothyroidism, so he also takes Synthroid.

Back in March he was working 35ish hours a week at a grocery store, had a girlfriend of 3 years, and planned to start college this fall. March 30th he had a bad day and walked off the job. ( I looked back to some FB post I had made in the weeks prior mentioning to be nice to grocery workers, because they were stressed, etc, so I should have seen this meltdown coming). He has not worked since. He broke up with his girlfriend. He talks to his guy friends on line, and rarely leaves the house.

His Synthroid had to be increased 2 weeks ago because of insomnia and other audio- immune symptoms showing their ugly face. Bottom line, this da*m pandemic is affecting his physical and mental health. He is afraid to get a job or go to school. Work from home jobs are hard to come by in our area, especially with all furloughs. Since school started, I'm trying to get him interested in tutoring, but he only wants to do that if he can do it from home.

I'm feeling like he is taking advantage of the circumstances, procrastinating and sometimes being just plain ole lazy; yet, he complains about being bored and is quite clingy to me these days which is unusual. His therapist says give him time. I'm afraid I may not truly understand these physiological symptoms...

I agree give him time. Maybe he is taking advantage of it but either way he doesn't seem ready to face the world?

I really wish I hadnt been so blase in March. I followed all the rules but I wasnt afraid.

If I had known then, that I would pass it on to my 23 year old son and no one really knows what the long term effects may be, I think I would have insisted on working from home and definitely not visited the hairdresser.

none of us knew how serious it would get
be kind to yourself

Still dreading a post-Labor Day surge here in South Carolina. Today's report isn't too bad - just wish we could get that percent positive down!

South Carolina Update for Wednesday, September 9

DHEC: 250 new COVID-19 cases, 29 more deaths announced Wednesday

124,097 confirmed positive cases (+250)
2,800 confirmed deaths (+29)
Percent Positive - 14.3%

SC Testing Data & Projections (COVID-19) | SCDHEC

You may not be widely testing. While I try to post my state numbers a few times each week, I really only look closely at the number of deaths. Followed by occasionally looking at the hospital census, ICU numbers, and ventilators. Speaking of, I'll find today's numbers.

This pandemic can affect a persons physical and mental health. Some people will struggle more than others. Four years ago my daughter at age 19 was dealing with anxiety. She was getting outside help but one day I came home and found her ill from a suicide attempt. Through more help we got through things. She lost her job in the early days of this pandemic. I feel my job is to be patient and supportive. I know she wants her job back but is not happy with trying to work during Covid. Things are put on hold and I think these smart, young people need time to just get through this. My part is to just listen to her, it will do no good to push her into a job or so forth. I am letting her know that I am here and will not judge. Yes, it is hard because we know these people are capable of so much more than what they are doing. So what if it takes longer for them to get back into what we think is best for them. Just let them have some space. I make sure to give her extra love right now. I mostly just listen. This is hard seeing this behavior happen with her. We won't always understand all of what they are feeling. I believe from my patience and listening she is starting to mention that she is ready to consider working her job again. It may or may not happen, doesn't matter. Most importantly I will not push her but listen and encourage her. Hope things can go better for this young man as well.

Indiana, US

720 new cases 9/4-9/8
17 deaths 9/2-9/8
ICU census 228 covid patients using 9.8% of our 2328 ICU beds
Ventilator census 69 covid patients using 2.4% of our 2896 ventilators
To date, 92% (2919) of our total deaths (3173) are individuals aged 60+

From world meters, we have just a few over 20,000 active cases.

ISDH - Novel Coronavirus: Indiana COVID-19 Dashboard

I have always wondered about this. The danger is getting a large "load" of the virus.

If anyone wants to read the study that is referenced in this Fox News report today, you can find it here. The study was published back in July.

Masks Do More Than Protect Others During COVID-19: Reducing the Inoculum of SARS-CoV-2 to Protect the Wearer

From the Abstract:

Although the benefit of population-level public facial masking to protect others during the COVID-19 pandemic has received a great deal of attention, we discuss for one of the first times the hypothesis that universal masking reduces the “inoculum” or dose of the virus for the mask-wearer, leading to more mild and asymptomatic infection manifestations. Masks, depending on type, filter out the majority of viral particles, but not all. We first discuss the near-century-old literature around the viral inoculum and severity of disease (conceptualized as the LD50 or lethal dose of the virus).

We include examples of rising rates of asymptomatic infection with population-level masking, including in closed settings (e.g., cruise ships) with and without universal masking. Asymptomatic infections may be harmful for spread but could actually be beneficial if they lead to higher rates of exposure. Exposing society to SARS-CoV-2 without the unacceptable consequences of severe illness with public masking could lead to greater community-level immunity and slower spread as we await a vaccine. This theory of viral inoculum and mild or asymptomatic disease with SARS-CoV-2 in light of population-level masking has received little attention so this is one of the first perspectives to discuss the evidence supporting this theory.

Dentists Are Seeing an Epidemic of Cracked Teeth. What's Going On?

But when I reopened my practice in early June, the fractures started coming in: at least one a day, every single day that I’ve been in the office. On average, I’m seeing three to four; the bad days are six-plus fractures. :eek:

I read this article yesterday, and it was odd timing, because over the weekend my DH fractured a tooth. He has an appointment coming up, and we wish he didn't have to do this, but no choice.

What do you think? Should kids trick or treat this year?
Sit on Santa's lap for a photo?

Must be weird having young kids and trying to figure everything out. Especially schooling and can they still not play at the park, the slides and climbers and all that?

Los Angeles County bans trick-or-treating this Halloween — why health experts say 'it's a good idea'
Sit on Santa's lap. Definitely not - for Santa's health.
Let's cancel trick or treating. I, for one, will not open my door to strangers.

Not gonna happen...
An investigation found that there were at least 383 inaccurate positive results from the lab that, upon re-testing, came back as negative.
On August 27, the MDPH said it notified Orig3n they had been cited with "three significant certification deficiencies that put patients at immediate risk of harm."
"The Boston lab is required to respond with a written plan of correction, and if action is not taken it can face sanctions," a health department spokesperson said in a statement to NBC News on Wednesday.

NBC news 09/09/20

This pandemic can affect a persons physical and mental health. Some people will struggle more than others. Four years ago my daughter at age 19 was dealing with anxiety. She was getting outside help but one day I came home and found her ill from a suicide attempt. Through more help we got through things. She lost her job in the early days of this pandemic. I feel my job is to be patient and supportive. I know she wants her job back but is not happy with trying to work during Covid. Things are put on hold and I think these smart, young people need time to just get through this. My part is to just listen to her, it will do no good to push her into a job or so forth. I am letting her know that I am here and will not judge. Yes, it is hard because we know these people are capable of so much more than what they are doing. So what if it takes longer for them to get back into what we think is best for them. Just let them have some space. I make sure to give her extra love right now. I mostly just listen. This is hard seeing this behavior happen with her. We won't always understand all of what they are feeling. I believe from my patience and listening she is starting to mention that she is ready to consider working her job again. It may or may not happen, doesn't matter. Most importantly I will not push her but listen and encourage her. Hope things can go better for this young man as well.

I must admit that I am loving the movie nights and cooking together. He has become quite the chef these last few months. I also let friends and family get into my head. I am so very tired of hearing "what is L doing these days?). They already know. They know he is home... I will continue to love up on my baby, and ignore the naysayers. I am thankful to have this extra time with him, and he keeps the house clean and the laundry done. Win. Win. Thank you for your support. :)

Razzledazzle I found to never let family or others get involved with some matters. You are doing the right thing by being busy with cooking and enjoying movies! You said he is a smart person, he won't become dumb from a much needed break with love and attention!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288