Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 March 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to think they ran off and are living happily ever after.
Well, it's still not impossible. There's a big "yes, but", but that applies to the other possibilities too. As for no money being accessed, etc - maybe they set things up for disappearing quite a while ago, bought a little shack somewhere, stashed some money, etc? Mobile phones aren't actually a necessity of life, at least they weren't for thousands of years. And then possibly Covid appearing made them bring forward their plans? I know someone said that if they wanted to be together, they could have done just that - but perhaps they didn't want to face the hassle, repercussions, fuss, etc.

Well, it's still not impossible. There's a big "yes, but", but that applies to the other possibilities too. As for no money being accessed, etc - maybe they set things up for disappearing quite a while ago, bought a little shack somewhere, stashed some money, etc? Mobile phones aren't actually a necessity of life, at least they weren't for thousands of years. And then possibly Covid appearing made them bring forward their plans? I know someone said that if they wanted to be together, they could have done just that - but perhaps they didn't want to face the hassle, repercussions, fuss, etc.
I can go along with that idea--picturing RH and CC homesteading on Gilligan's Island and having a great time!

Now, now, we're not allowed to be ageist these days are we, or any other "ist".:)
Can't discriminate with anything or make a judgement that one is better than another for that matter...sooner than later, even dogshows will be ruled unethical and unfair to every breed forced to compete.

Would people their age forgo their seniors pension and/or monthly superannuation payments? How does a person keep on living every day with no money coming in? Neither of them strike me as being uber-rich. Where they could squirrel money away ... enough money to take them through the rest of their lives.

I think the police, by now, would have forensically examined their finances. And they have stated that they do not believe they ran off together. There must be good reason for that summation. And I suspect that it has to do with finances as well as no other sign of life. imo

Unfortunately, it is a foregone conclusion that RH and CC are no longer living. RH's wife instinctually knew both RH and CC were deceased shortly after she was notified of their disappearance. I think the same reaction can be seen with Barbara Thomas's husband...he also faced the grim reality of not ever finding BT alive. The remote and challenging location of both disappearances, along with a lack of evidence pointing to what actually happened sets the stage for a sense finality.

Unfortunately, it is a foregone conclusion that RH and CC are no longer living. RH's wife instinctually knew both RH and CC were deceased shortly after she was notified of their disappearance. I think the same reaction can be seen with Barbara Thomas's husband...he also faced the grim reality of not ever finding BT alive. The remote and challenging location of both disappearances, along with a lack of evidence pointing to what actually happened sets the stage for a sense finality.
I agree, this is real life , not a TV show.

Murder/suicide cannot be excluded. But again, there is no indication of that. And why would whoever- murdered-who need to set up a scene such as the burning of the tent. If they are dead, it shouldn't even matter, no cover-up required. And no need to hide their suicided self or their murdered lover.
Respectfully sniped and bolded by me.

I've made it known that I take the unpopular stance and suspect murder suicide in this case. Sometimes people like to cover up their own crimes so that their family doesn't think poorly of them. I think it might make the act easier to carry out.

I just can't get past the fact that he visited the site alone a week before (for a day or two) and it was such a long drive. The remoteness makes me think that perhaps he was scouting a 'good location' or perhaps even began digging. He also had health problems so might have thought he didn't have much to lose. :(. All just my opinion and as always...hope I'm wrong and that this was an accident.

I've made it known that I take the unpopular stance and suspect murder suicide in this case. Sometimes people like to cover up their own crimes so that their family doesn't think poorly of them. I think it might make the act easier to carry out.

I just can't get past the fact that he visited the site alone a week before (for a day or two) and it was such a long drive. The remoteness makes me think that perhaps he was scouting a 'good location' or perhaps even began digging. He also had health problems so might have thought he didn't have much to lose. :(. All just my opinion and as always...hope I'm wrong and that this was an accident.
I'm with you on the possibility of murder/suicide. Nice interpretation of why RH might have made the drive out to the area a week before he and CC decided to camp there, along with the lack of evidence at the campsite could have been an intentional coverup by RH to save their families from additional embarrassment and grief. I also think RH's health problems figured into what happened at the time of their disappearance. From all accounts, he was battling significant health problems--and for all we know, CC might have had her own health issues too.

I don't hold as much importance that Russell had been in that area the week before. He and Carol camped near there just previously as well. Maybe she couldn't get away during the time he went on his own. She had her own life as well.

I don't hold as much importance that Russell had been in that area the week before. He and Carol camped near there just previously as well. Maybe she couldn't get away during the time he went on his own. She had her own life as well.
I think the general consensus is something motivated RH to make the drive to the Wonnangatta Valley before taking CC the following week to camp there. Whether he went there to check something out that he had seen before, or he went there for other reasons, the extreme driving distance round trip from his house and the 4 wheel drive into the valley would seem to indicate some sort of compelling reason--otherwise, why not wait the following week when you have a trip already planned?

Frequently spending time with someone in the wilderness--a remote valley requiring a lot of driving effort to visit...not to mention camping off the grid with a portable shower/toilet rigged to tree...doesn't sound like there were a lot of other "dating" options available to RH and CC...IMO, their choice of "meeting arrangements" is very curious, especially since there was very little to indicate that CC fit the profile of an outdoorsy type...from all reports and pictures, CC seems the antithesis of a rough and tumble, happy to rough it type of woman. For some reason, she happily went with RH to Wonnangatta Valley for several years--it would be nice to have listened to their conversations while they camped. That would have provided some real clues!

Last edited:
I'd say a likely reason to drive there ahead of their trip is to check out the conditions, ie roads open, no fallen logs or any other obstacles to their camping there.
Also to choose a good spot.

Russell may have also liked being away from home. In the Current Affairs video, a neighbour of Carol's said he had seen Russell a lot. Sounds, to me, that Russell visited and spent time at Carol's place.

And I am not surprised he enjoyed the wilderness. He was a forrester for about a decade. The police/media said his vehicle was kitted out very well.

I also think that there is a good chance the camping portapotty was set up for Carol's comfort, more than his own. I am not convinced that he would have set that up if he intended to bump off Carol and himself within hours of arriving at the campsite.

It's shame but I think RH's decades of doing logging work probably contributed to his health concerns. He certainly loved the outdoors--along with his ham radio hobby. He probably wouldn't have wanted to end up at home or a nursing home unable to venture into the Wonnangatta Valley as he had been doing for over 20 years. In some ways, life always has a silver lining in the worst of circumstances.

Hey all. Very interesting reading indeed.

My maiden post so please be gentle :)

I am intrigued by the fire marks left on the truck, definitely something odd with the straight lines/outline on the side of the vehicle. Tarp draped over it maybe?

I agree with Trujac in that CC didnt seem to be the outside, rough it, kind, but as we all know - looks can be very deceiving, and past comments of her accompany RH on previous camping trips might shoot my initial thoughts down.

So many questions, to a mystery that I honestly believe we will get an answer to eventually - hopefully sooner rather than later for their families and friends.

Cheers truth hunters...

The truth is out there

Hey all. Very interesting reading indeed.

My maiden post so please be gentle :)

I am intrigued by the fire marks left on the truck, definitely something odd with the straight lines/outline on the side of the vehicle. Tarp draped over it maybe?

I agree with Trujac in that CC didnt seem to be the outside, rough it, kind, but as we all know - looks can be very deceiving, and past comments of her accompany RH on previous camping trips might shoot my initial thoughts down.

So many questions, to a mystery that I honestly believe we will get an answer to eventually - hopefully sooner rather than later for their families and friends.

Cheers truth hunters...

The truth is out there

Hi there, Fox Mulder.

Yes, I think that perhaps a tent entrance canopy was tied off to Russell's vehicle. When you look at the vehicle, there is some kind of twine hanging down near the rear of the roof rail. There is also a dark 'straight' patch on the ground where a burning entrance canopy likely collapsed. imo

Our tent has an inbuilt entrance canopy. So we can put it up and sit outside at the tent entrance and be sheltered. We put it up with poles, but will tie it to a fence/tree/whatever if the situation allows.

We actually lower ours at night (it zips closed to double seal the tent entrance, inside the tent is warmer that way). Presumably Russell and Carol did not do that, or their tent was set alight during daylight hours when the entrance canopy was up.

(That's if it was an inbuilt tent canopy, and not a separate tarp.)

xx2.JPG

Police say drone could hold vital clues about disappearance of elderly campers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members