Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #33

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, we’re too quick to anoint heroes. LS is not a hero. AM is not a hero. The Sheriff is not a hero. They are people, with faults like everyone else.
From what I’ve read about her, SM might be hero. That’s it. She’s the only hero in this story.

Last edited:
So, is Lauren trying to get BM onside for better information? Is it all a ruse, criticizing the Sheriff? I completely understand not releasing details of the investigation, but what would it hurt for the CCSO to release a statement that says nothing? "We're continuing the investigation into the disappearance of Suzanne Morphew. The tip line is ######. " End of. PR people can think up meaningless statements in their sleep, I would imagine.
I thought they just released a statement a week ago. They said they've investigated hundreds of tips and conducted hundreds of interviews, both in and out of state. They will only release information if it is in the best interest of finding Suzanne Morphew. They said they will release any new information in an official press release. In other words, they are not going to stop to talk to reporters who drop by the Sheriffs office asking for updates.

LS might be trying to give BM the impression that she shares his frustration, but I'm not sure how much longer that will last. We'll have to wait and see what the next interview brings.

Last edited:
Well, as a journalist, Lauren's obligation isn't just to Suzanne or the investigation: as a member of the press she also has an obligation to inform the public if the taxpayers aren't getting their money's worth. I think that this report is a shot across the CCSO's bow, essentially warning CCSO to be more forthcoming with info or expect further scrutiny as to what is/isn't going on with the investigation.

CCSO need not be BFFs with the media, but it would not hurt to select a few factual items from time to time that will not injure the investigation & release them to the media.
Just to expand, she also has an obligation to her boss/editors. She's not singularly responsible for decisions about content. MOO.

The fact that SM wasn't allowed to make her own choices in regards to trying legal drugs to help with her own pain an illnesses in her own body is very very sad indeed. Barry should have no say in the matter and respect her wishes to at least try them.

So is Lauren trying to get a statement or response from the Sheriff? I’m a little shocked at this latest article
Search for Suzanne Morphew pushes on despite silence from Chaffee County Sheriff | FOX21 News Colorado

This is EXACTLY what had me up last night. We’ve all been “upset” with Barry but I am upset with the LE too. There are many effective ways to keep the family informed aka SM brother, father etc. but going completely silent on the victims family that scares me not because am think they’re about to make an arrest but because they may be in over their heads and the CBI isn’t making statements either.

a few things that stood out in lauren's report:

* BM claims the neighbor said BOTH her car and bike were missing from the home. ("she said, 'suzanne is not at the house, her car is here, but her bike's missing.'") in the interview with tyson, he said he had to ask the neighbor to go back to the home a second time to check for the bike. could be nothing, as both of those do mean that the neighbor did technically say the car and bike were missing, but the story has been slightly re-written again. (later he says "i don't remember what i said, but i probably said something like 'is her bike there?'")

*BM sounds insistent that he left denver to come back home at 5:00, immediately after hearing that his wife was possibly missing. in tyson's video, he didn't get home until 9pm. it's a 160 mile drive (about 3 hours). BM went straight to the scene of the found bike.

*where are/were the tools? BM says he left all his tools in the room for the workers, JP says he didn't leave any tools, and hasn't contacted him since. if he'd left his tools (his livelihood) with a worker(s), how did he get them back and did he get them back?

*BM's been searching on his dirt bike for suzanne. not sure if there's any significance, but it's new info.

* what does this mean, and why was it included in the story?"

“We are such a small town where everyone knows everything. You would be amazed by the secrets the mountains hold regarding this case,” a business owner said.

Another store owner added, “people that have money can do dangerous things, if you get too close to the fire you can get burned.”

I havent had a chance to listen to Lauren's new interview yet.

This part concerns me as it adds another possibility to move her remains deep into the woods away from the home and no way for GPS to track it.

"*BM's been searching on his dirt bike for suzanne. not sure if there's any significance, but it's new info."

If its a dirt bike like I am thinking it is then it could be a motorcycle that is used mainly for off road use. I used to have a dirt bike and you can use saddle bags or a seat rack on the back behind the seat and you would be amazed how much stuff you can carry behind the seat area. I used to bungie cord down all kinds of stuff behind me. I think my old one was a Yamaha 125cc dirt bike.

Someone could even strap down a cooler behind where they sit if the dirt bike was a motorcycle with enough things to hook bungie cords to.

Wondering if he may have carried her remains on the dirt bike and hauled it far away from the home. Even if he took two trips to do it, it would be a way to avoid GPS tracking.

I need to first listen to the interview to see if its the type of dirt bike I am thinking it could be.
JMO

It would be interesting to me if BM tries to find out or stay informed of the upcoming search details as to where is searched and what is found. I wonder if any searchers are friends who would report back to him. It is hard for me to believe he wouldn't be at all interested.

Well. I think I’m going to have to reserve judgment about that piece until after tonight’s b/c I’m not sure what to make of it. Very weird is all I can say. I understand her frustration w/LE in this case b/c the silence is a little much, BUT why cozy up to BM & make it look like he’s being wronged here? Could be a plan or could just be reporting that’s all over the place? No idea. :confused:

probably not the best way to get an exclusive interview....

But it shows the level of frustration people on the ground and within Suzanne’s family are feeling shut out too. Her brother said they had gone silent on him. Now that may be because they are worried about leaks since he’s been speaking out but with that being said imagine their level of frustration, anxiety and despair when the LE won’t even speak to you even to pacify you and say, “hey we’re not forgetting Suzanne.” Something, anything.......I find myself becoming more concerned with the LE.

The fact that SM wasn't allowed to make her own choices in regards to trying legal drugs to help with her own pain an illnesses in her own body is very very sad indeed. Barry should have no say in the matter and respect her wishes to at least try them.[/QUOT

Can you catch me up on the medication situation? I recall seeing a post about antidepressants? Did BM prevent her from taking medication and how do we know this? Thank you for helping me feel in the holes.

But it shows the level of frustration people on the ground and within Suzanne’s family are feeling shut out too. Her brother said they had gone silent on him. Now that may be because they are worried about leaks since he’s been speaking out but with that being said imagine their level of frustration, anxiety and despair when the LE won’t even speak to you even to pacify you and say, “hey we’re not forgetting Suzanne.” Something, anything.......I find myself becoming more concerned with the LE.
The thing about the LE working on this though is that it’s not just the local sheriff’s department. The CBI & FBI are also on it. And Spezze is a seasoned city LEO & it’s not like they have tons of other pressing investigations going on in Chaffee county. They can’t all be in over their heads or incompetent, right? But why not give anyone, including her family, ANY reassurance? I don’t get it. This whole case has been ODD in every respect. I so hope justice prevails but it is quite worrisome.

I thought BM said he left Denver at five and went straight to the location where the bike was found. In the interview with TD, he said he got home at 9:00 pm, and Andy thought he said 6:00 pm. So if he left at 5:00, wouldn't he be there at around 7:30 or 8:00 pm?
Either way, he had about 9 hours to prepare the jobsite, so what was he doing all that time?

I'm curious about the tools, too. He said he left them at the hotel but we haven't heard anyone confirm that. Maybe the interview with the employee will provide some answers.

I'm not too concerned about the statements from the store owner. How does he or she know what secrets the mountains hold? There are probably lots of rumors going around. Yes, people with money can do dangerous things, but so can people without money.

I am concerned-I disagree - I strongly disagree.......you said.......
......."I'm not too concerned about the statements from the store owner. How does he or she know what secrets the mountains hold? There are probably lots of rumors going around. Yes, people with money can do dangerous things, but so can people without money."
We have been discussing for weeks the source of the usual suspects money, including if he was into illegal activity. We also discussed why people were afraid to talk . It was asked if drugs were possible or criminal activity. Now we learn recently the employees are criminal types, and we also learn nobody in town has yet to talk, and just because there was a inheritance, when did we exclude criminal enterprise usning criminal types? .....so yea when a biz owner makes a bizarre statement like "people with money do dangerous things....it tells me something is still hidden and needs the light of day in this small town and in this sad we can't find Suzanne for 4 months case IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73