DE DE - Anne Manchester, 26, Newark, 29 June 1980

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Anne D Manchester
New Castle County, Delaware
26 year old white female

Height (inches)
62.0 to 63.0
Weight (pounds)
110.0 to 115.0

Brown Hair
Brown Eyes
Medium complexion

Original Police report indicates "ident, mark or tattoo" on "left eye lid".

Clothing and accessories: Possibly wearing cut-off blue jeans with heart on back.
Silver wedding band on right hand, gold Timex watch

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6926/

This case must not be as mysterious as it appears. It appears she was married because of the silver wedding band. She goes missing in a huge college tiwn as a student who is about to graduate. The police must know something and just don't have enough evidence to prosecute. This is Newark, Delaware and things like this didn't happen often without some gossip. I am gonna look really hard at this case the coming months. I've known about it for about 5 years and was under the impression that originally LE thought this was a suicide so I let it be, but to read that they now expect foul play was involved. Game changing time!!!

anne_d._v._manchester_1.jpg
anne_d._v._manchester_2.jpg

Details of Disappearance

Manchester was last seen at home at Villa Belmont Apartments in Newark, Delaware on June 29, 1980. She has never been heard from again.

There were no indications of a struggle at her apartment. The door was unlocked and Manchester's purse, money, checkbook and cigarettes were left behind; it appeared as if she'd simply left and intended to return within a short time.

She was a student at the University of Delaware at the time of her disappearance, and went missing just one week before she was supposed to finish her coursework for a master's degree in business administration. Few details are available in her case. Foul play is suspected.
Anne D. V. Manchester – The Charley Project

Can someone help me out here? Can someone check her marriage records and post any info found on this thread? I know some people on here have access to do that. It says she was wearing a wedding band, but I can find no mention of a husband. I am in the process of getting additional info on this case, but this question could be answered easy by any member who has a paid membership to a website that can verify marriage certificates. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Months ago I read a Facebook thread discussing Anne's case, by local people. I remember someone saying she was NOT married. But it was also mentioned there was a male suspect who could have disposed of her body in a way that she'd nvr be found, so charges couldnt be brought against him with no other evidence. I'll search more for that thread, & maybe this will bring more attention to her case.

The FB thread from August 9, 2019 is in a closed group: Memories of Newark, Delaware. Interesting info from people who remember Anne's case.

Hi Bluerae63. Thanks for trying to bring more attention to Anne's case. Just to let you know, we are not allowed to discuss fb comments from closed discussion groups here. It's considered to be rumors and rumors are not allowed. Thanks again for posting for Anne.

Months ago I read a Facebook thread discussing Anne's case, by local people. I remember someone saying she was NOT married. But it was also mentioned there was a male suspect who could have disposed of her body in a way that she'd nvr be found, so charges couldnt be brought against him with no other evidence. I'll search more for that thread, & maybe this will bring more attention to her case.

Hi Bluerae63...thanks for the info. Unfortunately as Gardener said, we are not allowed to discuss any FB comments from closed groups. However, if you are comfortable enough discussing in a private message...I would love to know what you read on FB because there truly is so little info about Anne available. I am very certain that LE essentially knows what happened but just doesn't have enough evidence to indict a suspect. I had a friend contact the Newark PD and inquire about Anne's case and he wasn't given much info, but he did tell me that he got the feeling that they have a suspect, but without a body, a confession, or new evidence that they wouldn't be able to bring charges. I live and grew up very close to Newark, but I never heard about this case until joining Websleuths about 7 years ago. IMO...I think Anne met with some foul play that was related to someone she probably knew because if this case was just a random disappearance where she disappeared without any trace at all, it would have certainly gotten a lot more attention over the years. LE and people who were close to her probably have strong suspicions about what happened to her because there has never been any media attention about her case that I know of or can find. That is just my opinion however, which is why I would truly appreciate any info you feel comfortable enough to share with me privately. If not, I completely understand and thank you for posting and keeping Anne's case alive.

Hi Thewop356. I too, am local to the area & do not remember hearing about this until searching here for Delaware cases. I agree with the theory of not enough evidence on a suspect. I wonder if more inquiries would produce any results or at least some kind of answers? It's so sad left unsolved for so long. Feel free to PM me.

9/5/1980 blurb on the case from The UD Review:

68753048_10157150855015211_4362919214835564544_n.jpg

I am the person who started the Facebook discussion on Anne Manchester and was told some interesting tidbits; however I will follow the rules here and not disclose the rumors/comments that I got from the closed Facebook group.

My personal theory is that Anne was taken by someone she went to school with. I think they stopped by her apartment and asked for some notes for a test they had the next day and then kidnapped her.

Hi. Are you suggesting she is still alive? Either way, you're theory would make sense but then why has her body nvr been found somewhere? I'm leaning toward the other suspect that disposed of her body leaving no evidence.

Hi. Are you suggesting she is still alive? Either way, you're theory would make sense but then why has her body nvr been found somewhere? I'm leaning toward the other suspect that disposed of her body leaving no evidence.

No, I'm not suggesting she is still alive. I'm pretty sure she was kidnapped from Villa Belmont Apartments, then taken to a second location and killed/disposed of there. Her apartment was very close to I-95 as well as Route 896 and it would have been easy to dispose of her in any number of ways, including that Facebook theory you're referring to. The Iron Hill or White Clay Creek nature preserves are another possibility.

I have personally wondered if her case might be connected to Lindy Sue Biechler, a young woman who was murdered in her apartment in 1975 in Lancaster, PA at an apartment close to Millersville University. Not that there's much going here other than them being two young women that lived in college towns about an hour apart, but there's just something about Anne's case that just makes me think of Lindy. A killer having ties to both Millersville and University of Delaware is definitely not out of the question.

I do think it's clear that it had to be someone she knew. The apartment building that Anne lived in (now a condo) used a buzzer system for the buildings, and everything indicates that there wasn't any kind of struggle in her apartment, meaning she went willingly. My belief is that it went a bit like this:

Anne is studying. She gets a buzz for her apartment. It's a guy that she knows, and she buzzes him in. They chitchat, and then he asks her to go out to his car for whatever reason. (Say giving her something she owns that he had, or something like that.) She is busy with studying for test that is tomorrow, and figures this will be a short encounter, so she agrees to go outside with him to his car without bothering to lock her door or move her textbooks. Once there, either he knocks her out or he comes up with a flimsy excuse to get her into the car with him, and then things went from there. Nobody notices anything because it's summer session at UD and Newark notoriously empties out at that time- especially back then. It's also possible that someone who saw her leave with him just figured it was a normal boyfriend/girlfriend thing and forgot by the time police started questioning everybody- her disappearance/likely murder occurred on June 29th, and she wasn't reported missing until July 8th. People's memories fade pretty quick especially when it involves quick glimpses of total strangers.

This is a blog (which sourced Charley Project and the News Journal) that said explicitly that Anne wasn't married despite wearing a wedding ring. She also wasn't a fan of recreational walking, so her disappearing after deciding to take a walk in the numerous parks around this area doesn't seem likely.*Note I did leave a comment on this blog where I talked about the Facebook rumors, however as promised I'm keeping them out of this thread.

Robbery is definitely not a motive- nothing was stolen from her home. That feels like the one thing we can definitely rule out.

What Villa Belmont Apartments looked like around late 1980/early 1981. Found this photo in the 1981 Blue Hen, University of Delaware Archives.

83295147_10157617344510211_670014193801363456_n.jpg

I don't know if all of the units had balconies, but if someone jimmied their way into her apartment, that feels like the most likely way they got in without looking like they disturbed her apartment. An agile guy over 6 foot tall probably wouldn't have any problems getting even to the third floor apartments.

Bumping thread up for Anne.
My heart goes out to her family.
Her NamUs profile:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Doe Network:
The Doe Network: Case File 2908DFDE

Says dental records are available, but I wonder if the have DNA on file.

I agree it sounds like she was lured from the apartment by someone she knew. Very tragic.

Thanks for being interested.

I came across an obscure 1981 case that I think could be related to Anne Manchester, as well as Lindy Sue Biechler, who I think is connected to Anne Manchester. (Lindy Sue Biechler was a 19-year old woman who was brutally murdered in her apartment near Millersville College in December 1975.)

In June 1981 a 24-year old woman named Linda O'Day was found stabbed in her New Castle, Delaware apartment after a night out clubbing with her friend. They came back home around 1:45 a.m. with her friend dropping her off near her house while she drove back to her house. Here's the FBI flyer about the case and an article about the case.

In that case, I think Linda O'Day met up with a hook-up in her apartment after she got dropped off by her friend and she was murdered. There were no signs of a struggle and she was killed by a single stab, which makes me think that Linda might have been sleeping at the time she was murdered, or she was slipped something that made her complacent, or she was just totally caught off-guard and had no time to react before she died.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, but I think Linda O'Day bears a strong physical resemblance to both Lindy Sue Biechler and Anne Manchester. Like she looks like a cross between them. New Castle is very close to Newark, and both towns are less than an hour away from Lancaster, PA. Anne's case and Linda's case are only about 11 months apart as well, and both were in their mid-20's.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann
Back