GUILTY Canada - Makayla Chang, 16, Nanaimo, BC, 19 March 2017

Well they tracked down POI Steven Bacon, arrested him on an unrelated charge but good step towards getting this solved: “We can confirm that Steven Bacon has been arrested on a charge that is not related in any way to the Makayla Chang investigation. We cannot speak to the charge, when he was arrested or where he is being incarcerated. Lastly, the Makayla Chang investigation remains active,” Const. Gary O’Brien, media relations officer for Nanaimo RCMP, said in a statement on Friday.

Person of interest Makayla Chang murder arrested on unrelated matter

Great news! So glad this scum is off the streets.

It's taken me a long while to find the ability to do this but here we go, I could use any help I can get. Its been nearly three years since Makayla was reported missing and we haven't gotten much, all we know is that she was murdered and that Steven Bacon more than likely had something to do with it. A large portion of the people I know, along with myself, were friends with Kayla, she truly was an amazing girl who had a bright future stolen from her.

Does anyone have access to the posts made by Bacons' daughter while Kayla was missing? They have since been deleted and now that Bacon is being held in custody (on unrelated charges) they could be useful.

If anyone can do some more research into Bacons' background that would be great.

I will do my best to answer any questions and such, I just want justice to be served so she can finally rest. Thank you all.

It's taken me a long while to find the ability to do this but here we go, I could use any help I can get. Its been nearly three years since Makayla was reported missing and we haven't gotten much, all we know is that she was murdered and that Steven Bacon more than likely had something to do with it. A large portion of the people I know, along with myself, were friends with Kayla, she truly was an amazing girl who had a bright future stolen from her.

Does anyone have access to the posts made by Bacons' daughter while Kayla was missing? They have since been deleted and now that Bacon is being held in custody (on unrelated charges) they could be useful.

If anyone can do some more research into Bacons' background that would be great.

I will do my best to answer any questions and such, I just want justice to be served so she can finally rest. Thank you all.

Hello @BlueHairedBliss. Welcome to Websleuths. I'm so sorry it's under these terrible circumstances and that you've lost your wonderful friend.

Unfortunately I can't help you with those old posts, but maybe someone else can.
If you are willing to answer questions, giving insight from your position as Makayla's friend, then you should become a 'Verified Insider' here on WS. I'm sure people here would appreciate it.
Thank you for posting.

April 2017 rbbm.
Jailed father feels ‘helpless’ in search for missing teen
"Chang said he and Vaultour lost their first daughter to sudden infant death syndrome 20 years ago. “So this is quite overwhelming, to have to go through this again.”

He said he met Steven Bacon, the man Nanaimo RCMP believes has information on Makayla’s whereabouts, a year ago.

Chang said Bacon told him that Makayla reminded him of a daughter who died and whom he called “baby bird,” a pet name he was known to call Makayla. However, Bacon’s daughter Allison said he’s long been telling this falsehood, that she is dead.

“I said: ‘Stay away from my daughter, I don’t like what you’re about,’ ” Chang recalled. “Over the months he was able to manipulate my daughter.”

He worries that Bacon tried to step in as a father figure to Makayla."

"He said Makayla has supportive friends who care about her. “They were a tight group of friends and there’s a big hole there with her gone.”

First of all, thank the both of you. ^

Since I posted that message, quite a bit of information has come out, including the reason Steven Bacon was arrested. He was arrested and is facing multiple sex charges that took place in Ontario between 1996 and 2004. ( sexual assault, sexual interference, sexual exploitation and incest. ) He is expected to appear in court on March 16th, 2020. Somewhat disturbing but almost certainly unrelated is that that will be three years to the day that Makayla's father was sentenced to prison, which is the day before Makayla was last seen.

The thing to take away from this is that it's his daughter, Allison, who has come forward. He called Allison baby bird, he told Kayla and others that his daughter had died and that Kayla reminded him of her, he called Kayla baby bird, wrote her creepy letters about how he loves her like a daughter and how he wanted to adopt her. Not a single thing points to him not having ill-intentions.

Person of interest in Nanaimo teen's murder charged with incest; B.C. charges pending

First of all, thank the both of you. ^

Since I posted that message, quite a bit of information has come out, including the reason Steven Bacon was arrested. He was arrested and is facing multiple sex charges that took place in Ontario between 1996 and 2004. ( sexual assault, sexual interference, sexual exploitation and incest. ) He is expected to appear in court on March 16th, 2020. Somewhat disturbing but almost certainly unrelated is that that will be three years to the day that Makayla's father was sentenced to prison, which is the day before Makayla was last seen.

The thing to take away from this is that it's his daughter, Allison, who has come forward. He called Allison baby bird, he told Kayla and others that his daughter had died and that Kayla reminded him of her, he called Kayla baby bird, wrote her creepy letters about how he loves her like a daughter and how he wanted to adopt her. Not a single thing points to him not having ill-intentions.

Person of interest in Nanaimo teen's murder charged with incest; B.C. charges pending

<sigh>

I guess we just have to have patience now. At least he is in custody.

Yesterday was three years since Kayla was found.

Next to nothing has been said since January but yesterday an article was posted about the anniversary and included some stuff from an interview with her parents.

What surprised me?

"Kerry says police have told him the investigation into his daughter’s death is complete but no one has been charged to date."

I don't know what exactly that means, but I'm hoping and praying that we got the *advertiser censored*.

https://www.cheknews.ca/were-still-...ang-wants-answers-on-grim-anniversary-669627/

I've come to have a pretty dim view of Canadian homicide investors but in this case maybe Bacon's daughter(s) played an instrumental role in his detainment and in accumulating evidence about Kayla. Does British Columbia have a statute of limitations on sex crimes?

I've come to have a pretty dim view of Canadian homicide investors but in this case maybe Bacon's daughter(s) played an instrumental role in his detainment and in accumulating evidence about Kayla. Does British Columbia have a statute of limitations on sex crimes?

You'll never hear about what the FBI are doing, either. They don't leak details about ongoing investigations, you only learn anything when they lay charges and then go to court. Does that mean you don't think they're doing anything?

You'll never hear about what the FBI are doing, either. They don't leak details about ongoing investigations, you only learn anything when they lay charges and then go to court. Does that mean you don't think they're doing anything?
Robert Pickton - Wikipedia
2010–2017 Toronto serial homicides - Wikipedia
Elizabeth Wettlaufer - Wikipedia
and those are just the recent ones. The RCMP seems like a decent law enforcement agency if we're drawing parallels to the FBI but local agencies seem to drop the ball time and time again before the RCMP even gets involved - and when I watch "The Case that Haunts Me" I'm always very surprised at the holes in every one of these investigations. The classic Canadian positivity doesn't really apply very well to murder investigations.

No, there is no limit in BC (I believe it's actually Canada wide). This is a quote from province's website:

>>However, there is no time limit on when a sexual assault can be reported to police. Even if it happened months or years ago, the police can still investigate.<<

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/l...m/publications/hsh-english-sexual-assault.pdf

There is a thread in the r/unresolvedmysteries forum that sheds a lot of light on this case. The author is verified by the sub's mods (how she was verified is explained in the thread). Also, given that the original thread (linked in the OP of the new thread) is from three years ago and very detailed, it's pretty obviously legit.

News today, Steven Bacon now charged with first degree murder. He has been in custody since Sep 2019.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/makayla-chang-charge-laid-1.5718147

A man has been charged in connection with Makayla Chang's 2017 death in Nanaimo, B.C.

Steven Bacon faces a first-degree murder charge in the case.

Chang, 16, was reported missing in March 2017, but it wasn't until May of that year that her body was located in Nanaimo.

Bacon — who may be 60, but has given police younger ages at times — was arrested in Fredericton, N.B., for an unrelated matter in Sept. 2019, about a month after Nanaimo RCMP put out a Canada-wide appeal for help locating him as a person of interest in the case.

Steven Michael Bacon, pictured in this RCMP handout image, now faces a charge of first degree murder in connection to the death of Makayla Chang. (Nanaimo RCMP)
He's been in custody in Thunder Bay, Ont. since then, according to Const. Gary O'Brien with Nanaimo RCMP, who declined to say anything about the charges Bacon faces in Ontario.

Police spoke to Bacon as early as May 2017 in Sudbury, Ont.

A man has been charged in connection with Makayla Chang's 2017 death in Nanaimo, B.C.

Steven Bacon faces a first-degree murder charge in the case.

Chang, 16, was reported missing in March 2017, but it wasn't until May of that year that her body was located in Nanaimo.

Bacon — who may be 60, but has given police younger ages at times — was arrested in Fredericton, N.B., for an unrelated matter in Sept. 2019, about a month after Nanaimo RCMP put out a Canada-wide appeal for help locating him as a person of interest in the case.

Steven Michael Bacon, pictured in this RCMP handout image, now faces a charge of first degree murder in connection to the death of Makayla Chang. (Nanaimo RCMP)
He's been in custody in Thunder Bay, Ont. since then, according to Const. Gary O'Brien with Nanaimo RCMP, who declined to say anything about the charges Bacon faces in Ontario.

Police spoke to Bacon as early as May 2017 in Sudbury, Ont.

About da*n time!! (Sorry I couldn't get to this before today.)
So happy to see this news.
So devastated to know that Makayla was an 'alleged' victim of this horrible predator. But of course we all knew he was likely the murderer.

How can we stop these terrible men???

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneetchysneetches