Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: if Canadians whose homes in Canada are not winterized are not able to go to their second homes in warmer places this year, how will they get through the winter? Seems like it would be challenging.

Yes, it's challenging alright. There is no way that they can stay in homes that are not winterized. Some of our local snowbirds have bought houses here, which is also a huge challenge. They are generally retired, older people, who haven't been in a Canadian winter for a dog's age. It is not easy to be a home owner in the winter. That's why they went to Florida in the first place.

Actually, you've made me realise that our community needs to step up and put helping groups in place. We did that when they came up from Florida and had to isolate, and we need to do it again for the winter.

We have really good travel insurance world wide and 2 million in insurance each. I'll bet it doesn't cover covid tho. If I remember maybe I'll call them next week out of curiosity.

Be sure to let us know. I received an announcement from our travel insurance company that they will not cover "communicable diseases".

We used to drive to Canada every three months or so, to stock up on food items that we can't get readily in the U.S. Now, with preparations for Christmas, will have to think about ordering them. Some of these are considered specialty items and sold here in the U.S., but they are very expensive and with limited choice. We had both French and English Christmas traditions growing up in Quebec, maternal side was French and paternal side from way back was Scottish, so we incorporated foods like tortiere (which I can get ingredients here in the U.S.), but in Canada we would get steamed pudding with brandy to serve on fire for dessert on Christmas Day (don't make my own), and need Christmas crackers to set a proper table. Lots of ordering online soon, I guess, to get ready for the various fall and winter holidays. Moon Festival is coming up and I have already ordered and received our moon cakes from a bakery in San Francisco. Important family Chinese festival. Drink tea, eat moon cakes, under the full autumn moon on October 1st. We usually drive to Ann Arbor, Michigan to get our moon cakes, but due to COVID, shopping online now.

A story made the news here in Michigan. A family, whose daughter is dying in Canada, is not allowed to travel to see her -- they don't know how long she has to live; i think they could quarantine for fourteen days, but they didn't know if she would live that long. It is a horrible thing---I am sure there are other stories like this:tragic.
Could you post the link please?

A story made the news here in Michigan. A family, whose daughter is dying in Canada, is not allowed to travel to see her -- they don't know how long she has to live; i think they could quarantine for fourteen days, but they didn't know if she would live that long. It is a horrible thing---I am sure there are other stories like this:tragic.

Do you have the link? I'd like to read that.

Be sure to let us know. I received an announcement from our travel insurance company that they will not cover "communicable diseases".

I think most/all travel insurance companies added a "No covid cover" clause to their new policies, once the pandemic started. My US friend was covered when he returned to the US because his policy was existing and the expiration date had not yet arrived, but he inquired that if he stayed longer and needed to get a new policy would he be covered for covid. They said no, and we couldn't find any travel insurance companies that would cover covid at that time (June 2020).

Last edited:
Oxford vaccine trials to restart. BBC news video below.

Great news!

Sounds like the Michigan parents have medical challenges which preclude travel to Windsor for two weeks, otherwise it sounds like the hospice in Windsor would make plans for them to quarantine there so they could be near their daughter. That kind of proximity might be a comfort to everyone at such a time, but their medical conditions might not allow for them to leave Michigan for this.

There are so many cases within all of our countries where loved one are not able to be with one another when seriously ill or dying due to Covid. This is very difficult. Years ago, when I lost my father, I wasn't able to travel to his bedside before he died due to his living in a country that was, at the time, on the "no travel" list by the U.S. State Department. It is very hard to be kept from loved ones in their final days. It sounds like the hospice workers are doing everything they can to help the family members connect at this difficult time.

ETA "due to Covid"

Last edited by a moderator:

It's sad alright. We also have to remember that thousands of CoVid sufferers died alone in hospitals, without their families at their side, even when they lived in the same community and border crossings were not at issue.

It's sad alright. We also have to remember that thousands of CoVid sufferers died alone in hospitals, without their families at their side, even when they lived in the same community and border crossings were not at issue.

Of all the sad things about this pandemic, this is the saddest. people dying alone without comfort from a loved one. I hate to compare crises and horrible things that have happened in our world, just having passed the 19th anniversary of 911 yesterday, and comparing it to this pandemic, I feel the pandemic is the worst crisis of our time. 911 was horrible beyond words---and we will never get over it in this country- but the pandemic goes on and on and has killed not only 200,000 in the US but millions more around the world: and made millions more very very ill. It has decimated jobs and upended peoples' lives without an end in sight. It has also prevented us from reaching out to touch, to comfort people, not only who are dying, but who are living. And we know there are more sicknesses and deaths to come-- and yet we must all stay apart- away from our loved ones. it is too horrible for words.

Last edited:
I think most/all travel insurance companies added a "No covid cover" clause to their new policies, once the pandemic started. My US friend was covered when he returned to the US because his policy was existing and the expiration date had not yet arrived, but he inquired that if he stayed longer and needed to get a new policy would he be covered for covid. They said no, and we couldn't find any travel insurance companies that would cover covid at that time (June 2020).

We don't need travel insurance when we travel abroad, we have coverage through our health insurance policy, we just need receipts for any unanticipated (non-routine) medical care received, and a translation, if not in English. COVID is covered abroad as it is here in the US, they cover abroad whatever the policy covers domestically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member