CA CA - Michael Vanzandt, 36, Hermosa Beach, 5 March 2016

Disappeared: Air Force Veteran Michael Vanzandt Vanishes During a Night Out with Friends in Hermosa Beach, California (March 5, 2016)
Posted on March 5, 2016
screen-shot-2018-05-24-at-7-27-44-pm.png

Michael Vanzandt, US Air Force Veteran

IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT THE HERMOSA BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT: Detective Joshua Droz at (310) 318-0334 or jdroz@hermosapolice.org

Air Force veteran Michael Vanzandt, 36, was living in Lancaster, California at the time of his disappearance. Michael was originally from Pleasant Lake, Michigan where he was raised by his mom. He has two brothers and one step brother. After graduation in 1999, Michael enlisted in the Air Force. It wasn’t long after that in 2000 when he met a fellow Air Force member at Yakota Air Base in Japan. They were both from Michigan and grew up about an hour and a half from one another. They married in 2001 and by 2006, they had three children. Michael was stationed at Edwards Air Force Base in California. While stationed there, he deployed to Iraq twice in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF).

After twelve years of service, Michael left the Air Force and got a civilian job in human resources at Edwards AFB. In 2014, Michael and his wife decided to separate and divorce. His wife says they just grew apart. But despite the break-up, the two had a good relationship for the sake of the three children. They had shared custody. Michael tried dating a couple people after the divorce but the relationships didn’t last because he just wasn’t ready yet. Although he remained friends with the two women. It was clear Michael was focused on moving out of his small apartment and getting a house for his family. In early 2016, Michael was approved for a mortgage.

On March 5, 2016, Michael dropped the three children off at his ex-wife’s house because he had plans to go out with some friends that night. He drove from Lancaster to Hermosa Beach where he was meeting his friends. They were going to watch a UFC event and Michael was excited about that because he loves the UFC. Michael parked his car in a parking garage and they ubered it to the Underground. After the UFC event was over, they all decided to go to the American Junkie bar. While they were waiting in line, Michael said he was going to use the bathroom at the liquor store. This is the last time anyone saw Michael Vanzandt again.

When friends decided to abandon their plan to go to the American Junkie, they left and went bar hopping. The last time they spoke to Michael, he said he was going to the bathroom at the liquor store and would be right back. They were starting to get concerned so they texted and called him but got no response. The phone calls were going straight to voicemail. After leaving the bars in Hermosa Beach, they went back to the parking garage to see if Michael had retrieved his car and he had not. The next day, one of his friends started making phone calls with no luck. Another friend went to his apartment and learned that he was not there. His car wasn’t either.

Michael’s ex-wife grew concerned when Michael didn’t show up to drop off an insurance form for one of the kids who was having a medical procedure done. She called one of his ex-girlfriends who offered to go to his apartment and see if she couldn’t find Michael and/or the insurance form. She looked around the apartment but nothing appeared to be out of place and nothing looked suspicious. Michael’s ex-wife called his place of employment at Edwards AFB and learned that he never showed up for work which was totally out of character. They knew now that Michael was missing.

One of Michael’s friends attempted to file an official missing persons report but were quickly disheartened when they realized the police were not as concerned. Michael’s friend went to Hermosa Beach to look for him. She learned that Michael’s car was still in the parking garage. Michael’s ex-wife tells the kids at this point that Michael is officially missing. And they didn’t waste any time trying to garner attention for Michael’s disappearance on social media. The information spread like wild fire. On March 8, Michael’s friends met with a detective in Hermosa Beach who laid out a game plan for launching a missing person’s investigation.

After the investigation was launched, friends and family put up fliers in Hermosa Beach and spoke with local businesses but no one had seen Michael. Investigators talked with all the friends Michael was out with on March 5th but none of them provided any new leads. Investigators looked at cell phone records and the last time the phone was used, it pinged in Hermosa Beach. It appears the phone went dead around 9 p.m. Next investigators looked thru surveillance video around the bars the group frequented. It was at this point, news outlets also began covering Michael’s disappearance. Family and friends hoped for the lead that would be a breakthrough in the case.

After the investigators and Michael’s family and friends were unable to locate Michael in downtown Hermosa Beach, they all shifted the search efforts to the shoreline. Michael’s family hired a helicopter to search up and down the coast line. Meanwhile, the police positively identified Michael on video surveillance. They witnessed Michael come out of the door at the liquor store and then he went southbound on Hermosa Avenue. They could see how the group kept missing Michael in the crowds by a matter of seconds as they searched for each other. The police speculated that Michael was probably looking for a bathroom. Michael went back to the liquor store and bought some whiskey. It was here that police were able to confirm his cell phone was in fact dead.

The last confirmed sighting for Michael Vanzandt was at 11:27 p.m. in Hermosa Beach. Friends and family hoped he ran into someone else while out, maybe an unknown group of people. They felt helpless because there were no new leads despite their exhaustive efforts. Michael’s brother Tyler walked the coast line again and again until he couldn’t walk anymore but eventually realized that his time on the ground was not effective. The Hermosa Beach P.D. confirmed that the investigation is still open but were at a loss after taking all the proactive measures. Michael’s brother thought maybe he went swimming while drinking but deep down inside prays that he’s out there in the world in an effort to maintain hope. Michael had a good job, he was planning on getting a new home, and starting a new chapter in his life for his children.

Source: Just Out of Sight, Disappeared, Investigation Discovery

Related Links:

An excellent update. Praying that Michael’s case s5ill receives coverage by the investigators and a lead will develop and he will be found.

Just finished re-watching Michael's Disappeared episode and figured I'd see if he had a thread here and any updates :(
It really sounds like he went swimming which sounds like from his family was not it of character. The tide would have taken out all his belongings before anyone even thought to look for him, leaving no trace. My heart is broken for his family, especially his children, having no answers :(

Post from his mom, who is one of my best friends.__ so heartbreaking
Today is my oldest son
Mike Vanzandt
41st birthday. What I wouldn't give to celebrate with him. I will never forget the years of his life that are even more precious to me daily then ever. I couldn't be prouder of the son he was nor the brother/man/father that is forever cherished and endearingly.
Blessed are many to have been loved by him. Blessed are many that were his friends and I thank you.
Blessed are those he went to war & flew missions with, that he stood by, and that he worked with side by side. I thank you for your service.
Blessed are his children to have had such an amazing Father, that loved them beyond life itself and taught them so many things including to be kind and honorable citizens. They emulate him to this day.
Blessed are his brothers to have had such a great big brother that set the bar high for them yet was a fun, caring and loving brother. Michael would do anything for either of you and you two proved you would do anything for him.
Blessed am I to have had the privilege to be chosen to be his Mother, his Momma, his first best friend and forever I shall be. I can still close my eyes and pray he will come back yet I can still go on living because I know what he would want to see from wherever he may be. My heart is full of my love for him and forever will be. Happy Birthday Mykee
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Love Momma

Post from his mom, who is one of my best friends.__ so heartbreaking
Today is my oldest son
Mike Vanzandt
41st birthday. What I wouldn't give to celebrate with him. I will never forget the years of his life that are even more precious to me daily then ever. I couldn't be prouder of the son he was nor the brother/man/father that is forever cherished and endearingly.
Blessed are many to have been loved by him. Blessed are many that were his friends and I thank you.
Blessed are those he went to war & flew missions with, that he stood by, and that he worked with side by side. I thank you for your service.
Blessed are his children to have had such an amazing Father, that loved them beyond life itself and taught them so many things including to be kind and honorable citizens. They emulate him to this day.
Blessed are his brothers to have had such a great big brother that set the bar high for them yet was a fun, caring and loving brother. Michael would do anything for either of you and you two proved you would do anything for him.
Blessed am I to have had the privilege to be chosen to be his Mother, his Momma, his first best friend and forever I shall be. I can still close my eyes and pray he will come back yet I can still go on living because I know what he would want to see from wherever he may be. My heart is full of my love for him and forever will be. Happy Birthday Mykee
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Love Momma
What a heartfelt and well-worded message! I’m new to this case and it’s absolutely heartbreaking. He sounds like a wonderful man and I can’t imagine the pain of not knowing. It might be worse than having worst fears confirmed, including excruciating details. Sounds like it may be a longshot but I sure hope his loved ones can get some answers.

Michael Vanzandt was last seen on the evening of March 5, 2016, while out with friends in downtown Hermosa Beach, California. Vanzandt, 36, was standing in line with friends outside the American Junkie gastropub at about 10:15 p.m., when he began walking toward a nearby liquor store. He has not been seen or heard from since. The Air Force veteran, and father of three, was going through a divorce, but family members said there were absolutely no red flags in his personal life that would have led to his disappearance. Because he is an avid swimmer, they fear he may have gone in the water for a late-night dip. However, none of Michael’s belongings were found on the beach. Authorities say the case is still active and ongoing. If you have any information regarding Michael’s case, please call the Hermosa Beach Police Department at (310) 318-0360.
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing

Just my 2 cents after only into half of the Disappeared episode. Those “friends” should feel terrible for bouncing on him. That’s absolutely what they did after he drove 2 hours to hang with them.
They only had to wait 10 mins for him to come back or, if so antsy to go elsewhere, leave 2 others behind to wait for him while the others go get in another line. But he also should have charged his phone before going out, then he would have seen any texts from them.

Watching a re-run of Disappeared episode now.

Just my 2 cents after only into half of the Disappeared episode. Those “friends” should feel terrible for bouncing on him. That’s absolutely what they did after he drove 2 hours to hang with them.
I agree.
It has been one of my most brought up conversations with his mom.
Why , oh why, did they all leave ??
One should have stayed. Friends just don't do that, at least, myself and my friends wouldn't. Maybe it's different with guys and the younger (than me) crowd , IDK

I agree.
It has been one of my most brought up conversations with his mom.
Why , oh why, did they all leave ??
One should have stayed. Friends just don't do that, at least, myself and my friends wouldn't. Maybe it's different with guys and the younger (than me) crowd , IDK
As a mom of three 20-somethings, sadly, it is common with the younger set. Even ladies will be left or go off (like walk to car or stay at bar) all alone. I am constantly drilling it into my girls to never be alone or allow any friends to be alone when out on the town.

As a mom of three 20-somethings, sadly, it is common with the younger set. Even ladies will be left or go off (like walk to car or stay at bar) all alone. I am constantly drilling it into my girls to never be alone or allow any friends to be alone when out on the town.
Exactly.
My girls are early 30's and I still always stress the "buddy system" to them when they go anywhere ... much to their dismay LOL

Thinking of Mike, his Mom and their family today :(

It’s been SIX years today since Mike VanZandt vanished when enjoying a night out with friends on Hermosa Beach’s Pier Plaza.

From his mom today--
It's time for a new beginning to a tragic 6 years of pain, hurt, confusion, mourning and gut wrenching sadness. It's time to do what my Son Mike would want us all to do.
Let's celebrate his life, let's share his memory with smiles in our hearts and on our faces. Let us be grateful for the memories we made with him. Tell the stories of the amazing moments you shared. It's time to live as he lived...to the fullest!! It's time to put the pain aside and not feel guilty having a great adventure or two. Pledge that we are also going to make the best of our time here on earth as he did. Nothing would make his already huge heart fuller than to spread our wings and fly as he flew without fear into the glory of life itself and reap the pleasures of a smile on our hearts and on our faces as he did.
I miss you so much my precious Son Michael and I am beyond thankful that I was chosen to be your Mom. God sure blessed me!
2665.png
See you in Heaven someday if not before then, with a smile in my heart and on my face while I wrap my love around you
1f970.png

275178806_5332669283412788_2288364619153703183_n.jpg

Last edited:
DEC 5, 2022

Michael Vanzandt

michael_vanzandt.jpg

Michael Vanzandt was last seen on the evening of March 5, 2016, while out in downtown Hermosa Beach, California. The 36-year-old was standing in line with friends outside the American Junkie gastropub at about 10:15 p.m., and then began walking toward a nearby liquor store. He has not been seen or heard from since. An Air Force veteran and father of three, Michael was going through a divorce at the time, but family members said there were absolutely no red flags in his personal life that would have led to his disappearance. Because he was an avid swimmer, they fear he may have gone in the water for a late-night dip. However, none of Michael’s belongings were found on the beach. Authorities say the case is still active and ongoing. If you have any information regarding Michael’s case, please call the Hermosa Beach Police Department at (310) 318-0360.

Happy Birthday yesterday Mike, wherever you are !!!
Your mom made a beautiful post in honor of the day you were born and we are all missing you today and every day !!

Here is his mom's Birthday post for Mike

"
As I sit here thinking of the most spectacular day of my life 43 years ago today, I smile while tears pour down from my heart and onto my cheeks.
I never knew a love so strong exsisted until that moment when you were born. My blue eyed-blonde baby boy
1f499.png
Lil Mykee
1f499.png
A true blessing from day one.
I miss you so much it's painful, I love you beyond eternity
❤️
I can't wait to see you, hug you, laugh with you and just love you again someday, somehow, someway.
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y W H E R E V E R Y O U M A Y B E

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back