Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ... just reported on Ch7 TV morning news ... Victoria had no covid deaths yesterday. First time in months. Will look for a published link.

Their daily average of cases is falling as well. That is starting to give a good chance for Melbourne's stage four lockdown to be lifted on 28th September, as hoped.

ETA link: Victoria records 0 coronavirus deaths for first time in over two months

September 13, 2020, 12:00 PM EDT

Hungry to learn: Soledad O'Brien investigates the hunger crisis on college campuses (exclusive)

d486ae40-f39e-11ea-bffa-7b5950ac5b3b

Isabella Moles says it's gotten harder to afford food since the pandemic. Now I'm hungry every day — again.” (Photo: Soledad O'Brien Productions)

6f551ce0-f39f-11ea-bff3-12ccbc6ab689

Some of the more than 650 food pantries on campuses shut down or scaled back during the coronavirus pandemic, leaving many students in need with few options for food. (Photo: Soledad O'Brien Productions)

When Isabella Moles started the 2019-20 school year at Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Pa., her grades were rising. She was a leader in her sorority and on her campus. She had two jobs and a car. The school had found scholarship money to address her most vexing problem: food and housing costs she couldn’t afford because of rising tuition and inadequate financial aid. Then came the coronavirus.

“Before the pandemic, I had figured out my food situation for the semester, the summer, and all I had to worry about was the breaks,” says Moles, who likes to be called Izzy. “Now I’m hungry every day — again.”

“Seventy percent of the students we surveyed had been working. A third of those students lost their jobs. And another third of them had their hours cut or their pay cut in some way. That’s from our pandemic record,” says Goldrick-Rab. “And you can see in that report that the food insecurity rate is much, much higher when those job losses happened. That’s the No. 1 thing, is that people cannot pay the bills.”

That’s what happened to Moles. She lost her job, then she lost her housing subsidy, which meant she needed even more money. She believes her college’s commitment to helping her weather the pandemic decreased as the population of students in need began to rise. The food pantry became skeletal, she said, serving up mostly macaroni and cheese. Most days she ate only once, or not at all. Months into the pandemic she landed a job at a pizza restaurant and relied on that food until she began to feel ill and started skipping meals.

“Some of the things that are a result of hunger are small things like bad breath or indigestion,” says Moles “But some of the bigger things are things that you need for school. You have inconsistent energy. You have a lack of mental concentration. This overbearing concern of when you’re gonna eat next.”

Me:

Not all college students can go back home for various reasons. They seem to fall through the cracks compared to the ones who can move back home and eat out of their parent's refrigerator. Sad. Need campus food pantries. I could always move back in with mom any time for as long as I wanted. Super great mom!

Last edited:
I remember seeing something like this posted months ago.

(CNN) – A new type of dog-like robot could gather vital information from COVID-19 patients remotely, helping to keep down human exposure to the virus.

The robot – named “Spot” – comes equipped with an infrared camera and three other monochrome cameras to get the vital signs without a doctor present.

The cameras can measure skin temperature, breathing rate, pulse rate and blood oxygen saturation.

Researchers in Boston are testing one of the robots on volunteers.

While the idea is to use the robots in triage situations, their use could eventually be expanded to continuously monitor patients in their hospital rooms so busy doctors can check in on them virtually.

VSHFV7YKQNAAFFG7VB5GKKY474.JPG

Dog-like robot could remotely measure vital signs of COVID-19 patients
wow... I don't know about that.

My only hospital visits in the past 30 years, have been acute asthmatic attacks. Both times I went to the ER and was quickly taken to an exam room after triage in the main receiving room. When I arrived at the hospital I was very scared because I couldn't catch my breath.

I cannot imagine being greeted by a huge robotic dog, when trying not to panic and get some air. lol

I still remember how comforting and calming the nurse was when I arrived and how she calmly assured me they knew how to help, as she quickly got me some oxygen, while I waited.

Well, then we agree, and that's why I wrote, "His behaviour is evidence, but as we all know, a professional psychologist would need to do an assessment."

Here is where we disagree--IMO his behavior is NOT evidence of the condition you
reference--if that were so, any person that attacks and beats up another person
would have a mental health diagnosis, and that is not the case. People commit assaults
for various reasons and those reasons are not known to us. i just think that what this
man did to this elderly man was evil

Hungry to learn: Soledad O'Brien investigates the hunger crisis on college campuses (exclusive)

Isabella Moles says it's gotten harder to afford food since the pandemic. Now I'm hungry every day — again.” (Photo: Soledad O'Brien Productions)

Some of the more than 650 food pantries on campuses shut down or scaled back during the coronavirus pandemic, leaving many students in need with few options for food. (Photo: Soledad O'Brien Productions)

When Isabella Moles started the 2019-20 school year at Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove, Pa., her grades were rising. She was a leader in her sorority and on her campus. She had two jobs and a car. The school had found scholarship money to address her most vexing problem: food and housing costs she couldn’t afford because of rising tuition and inadequate financial aid. Then came the coronavirus.

“Before the pandemic, I had figured out my food situation for the semester, the summer, and all I had to worry about was the breaks,” says Moles, who likes to be called Izzy. “Now I’m hungry every day — again.”

“Seventy percent of the students we surveyed had been working. A third of those students lost their jobs. And another third of them had their hours cut or their pay cut in some way. That’s from our pandemic record,” says Goldrick-Rab. “And you can see in that report that the food insecurity rate is much, much higher when those job losses happened. That’s the No. 1 thing, is that people cannot pay the bills.”

That’s what happened to Moles. She lost her job, then she lost her housing subsidy, which meant she needed even more money. She believes her college’s commitment to helping her weather the pandemic decreased as the population of students in need began to rise. The food pantry became skeletal, she said, serving up mostly macaroni and cheese. Most days she ate only once, or not at all. Months into the pandemic she landed a job at a pizza restaurant and relied on that food until she began to feel ill and started skipping meals.

“Some of the things that are a result of hunger are small things like bad breath or indigestion,” says Moles “But some of the bigger things are things that you need for school. You have inconsistent energy. You have a lack of mental concentration. This overbearing concern of when you’re gonna eat next.”

I wonder if situations like this are going to force students to return to their parents homes (if they can) and do online studies only. Or attend colleges/universities local to their parents homes.

I wonder if situations like this are going to force students to return to their parents homes (if they can) and do online studies only. Or attend colleges/universities local to their parents homes.

I edited my post and yes, most are probably back home now, but not all can do that!

Edit:

Not all college students can go back home for various reasons. They seem to fall through the cracks compared to the ones who can move back home and eat out of their parent's refrigerator. Sad. Need campus food pantries. I could always move back in with mom any time for as long as I wanted. Super great mom!

wow... I don't know about that.

My only hospital visits in the past 30 years, have been acute asthmatic attacks. Both times I went to the ER and was quickly taken to an exam room after triage in the main receiving room. When I arrived at the hospital I was very scared because I couldn't catch my breath.

I cannot imagine being greeted by a huge robotic dog, when trying not to panic and get some air. lol

I still remember how comforting and calming the nurse was when I arrived and how she calmly assured me they knew how to help, as she quickly got me some oxygen, while I waited.

I hear you @katydid23 and agree. I remember there was a robotic dog post here and I found it. May 15th
The robot dog was being used to promote social distancing with a recorded message, not in hospitals to collect patients vital signs.

"Boston Dynamics' dog-like robot, Spot, is being used in a park in Singapore to help encourage social distancing during the coronavirus pandemic.

"It's just giving people information and encouraging them," Boston Dynamics founder Marc Raibert said Friday on CNBC's "Squawk Box."

"Watch this robotic dog encourage park-goers to practice social distancing in Singapore"

(Video 2:18)

ASU president accuses Tempe bars of violating COVID-19 protocols

While I wish Dr Crow would mind his own business, I visited a different Zipps location on Saturday morning and it was packed to capacity. The poor hostess seemed totally overwhelmed.

Sounds, to me, that he received photographic evidence of the co-mingling - which he submitted - and is concerned about the ASU students. Which, as ASU president, is entirely his business. IMO

“The violations which are described in the attachments to this email all occurred at restaurants on Mill Avenue in Tempe and represent the kind of undisciplined and risky activity which, if not properly addressed in a timely manner, could worsen COVID-19 spread among the ASU community and in the larger community surrounding the Tempe campus,” Crow wrote in the letter dated Wednesday, which was also sent to Arizona Department of Liquor Licenses and Control Director John Cocca.
ASU President Michael Crow accuses 4 Mill Ave. bars of COVID violations

Here is where we disagree--IMO his behavior is NOT evidence of the condition you
reference--if that were so, any person that attacks and beats up another person
would have a mental health diagnosis, and that is not the case. People commit assaults
for various reasons and those reasons are not known to us. i just think that what this
man did to this elderly man was evil

I respect your opinion, and agree that what the man did was evil and he should be charged. I also believe that, especially during CoVid, we need a greater awareness of mental health and the effects of anxiety, fear and a sense of loss of control. Mental illness isn't discussed much, or often when it is, we use language that suggests no hope and belittles the individual. Many mental health issues can lead to serious physical ramafications. We also know that some mental health issues can lead to sudden outbursts of rage if left untreated.

(mental health link posted upthread)

Wow ... just reported on Ch7 TV morning news ... Victoria had no covid deaths yesterday. First time in months. Will look for a published link.

Their daily average of cases is falling as well. That is starting to give a good chance for Melbourne's stage four lockdown to be lifted on 28th September, as hoped.

ETA link: Victoria records 0 coronavirus deaths for first time in over two months

Do you have a list of what your lockdown stages involve? I'd like to compare them to ours. We are in stage 3 and will not go to stage 4 until there is a vaccine. Our stage 4 means no lockdown at all.

Do you have a list of what your lockdown stages involve? I'd like to compare them to ours. We are in stage 3 and will not go to stage 4 until there is a vaccine. Our stage 4 means no lockdown at all.

Ours are the reverse ... stage four is the most restrictive.

Stage four (for Melbourne people) involves:
Curfew on Melbourne residents between 8pm and 5am (now changed to 9pm and 5am)
Leaving house only for one of four reasons - "shopping for food and essential items, care and caregiving, daily exercise and work. Employers must support you to work from home if you can work from home" ... or "are at risk of family violence or to apply for an intervention order, and to attend court or a police station" or for medical services
Shopping only 5km from home, or if further, the nearest supermarket
Only one person to go shopping
No home visitors except for a person that you are in an intimate relationship with (now also allows single persons to have another single person visit)
Exercising outside for 1 hour each day within 5km from home (now changed to 2 hours per day)
Can exercise with one person from same household
Masks required whenever leaving home, except for children under 12
General retail shops closed

Stage three (for the rest of Victoria):
Bascially the same, except distance is not limited to 5km, retail is open with density requirements, no curfew, no shopping persons limit, no limit on how many times you go out, and you can exercise with another person and a personal trainer as well

All other states are in stage one: no restrictions other than social distancing, sanitising, borders closed to some states (I think all are closed to NSW and Vic, with WA having borders still closed to all states).

Melbourne stage 4 restrictions and Covid lockdown rules explained
Regional Victoria stage 3 coronavirus restrictions and lockdown rules explained

Last edited:
India seems to be in a hot mess. Rapidly escalating cases. Daily deaths now reaching over 1,000.

View attachment 263707

The second-most populous country in the world, with 1.2 billion people, India is responsible for nearly a third of all new cases being reported at the moment.

As Narendra Modi's Government continues to relax restrictions after a months-long national lockdown, the spread of the virus is accelerating.

After a slow start earlier in the year, India is reporting more new cases per day than we've seen before in one country.

Which countries are pushing the world's COVID-19 cases to new highs?

I think we knew this was coming. Daily death totals aren't as bad as earlier predicted - but the situation is still very much in its initial stages.

I can't believe Modi is relaxing restrictions. I guess humans are just not well set up for handling crisis - this is no better (globally) than the middle ages.

I think we knew this was coming. Daily death totals aren't as bad as earlier predicted - but the situation is still very much in its initial stages.

I can't believe Modi is relaxing restrictions. I guess humans are just not well set up for handling crisis - this is no better (globally) than the middle ages.
You have to have been to India to get an idea of the density of the population.

Me:

Not all college food pantries closed during the summer, or even during the spring 2020 semester when they went remotre, nor in this fall semester. We keep our student food pantry open year around, and never run out of donations either from individuals or corporate sponsors (grocery stores, etc.). Food insecurity is a major issue on university campuses.

Ours are the reverse ... stage four is the most restrictive.

Stage four (for Melbourne people) involves:
Curfew on Melbourne residents between 8pm and 5am (now changed to 9pm and 5am)
Leaving house only for one of four reasons - "shopping for food and essential items, care and caregiving, daily exercise and work. Employers must support you to work from home if you can work from home" ... or "are at risk of family violence or to apply for an intervention order, and to attend court or a police station" or for medical services
Shopping only 5km from home, or if further, the nearest supermarket
Only one person to go shopping
No home visitors except for a person that you are in an intimate relationship with (now also allows single persons to have another single person visit)
Exercising outside for 1 hour each day within 5km from home (now changed to 2 hours per day)
Can exercise with one person from same household
Masks required whenever leaving home, except for children under 12
General retail shops closed

Stage three (for the rest of Victoria):
Bascially the same, except distance is not limited to 5km, retail is open with density requirements, no curfew, no shopping persons limit, no limit on how many times you go out, and you can exercise with another person and a personal trainer as well

All other states are in stage one: no restrictions other than social distancing, sanitising, borders closed to some states (I think all are closed to NSW and Vic, with WA having borders still closed to all states).

Melbourne stage 4 restrictions and Covid lockdown rules explained
Regional Victoria stage 3 coronavirus restrictions and lockdown rules explained

Did you see the restictions for France?

Coronavirus: Marseille's Covid-19 hospital beds 'close to saturation'

Yann Bubien, a Bordeaux hospital director and a member of the government's Covid scientific advisory council, said there had been "a very rapid increase over the past 10 days" in the city.
"All the warning signals are flashing red," he said.

What are the measures?
In Marseille and the Bouches-du-Rhône until 1 October:
Large-scale gatherings for the public limited to 1,000 seated people, with minimum one-metre (3ft) distance
Student parties banned and school outings suspended
No private meetings of more than 10 people, including on beaches and in parks, in high-risk areas
Masks compulsory in 27 high-risk areas in the department from 06:00 (04:00 GMT) to 02:00 (00:00 GMT), except in large outdoor areas

Ask Dr. Fauci about that. He's a nonpartisan doctor and his family has been threatened.

Hopefully this kind of insanity will abate in the next few years.
----------
Did everyone see this this morning? Vaccines won't be available to everyone until the end of 2024.

Serum Institute Chief Says Coronavirus Vaccine Won’t Be Available to Everyone Before End of 2024

Manufacturing capacity needs to be stepped up in other countries, I think. We can't all realistically rely on India to supply much of the world, especially with their own pandemic issues.
And we all need to work together on getting this done.

I have read that Australia will be constantly churning out any approved vaccine, but even then it will take close to a year to have our people vaccinated and supply partner countries in South East Asia.

Until the whole world is free of this virus, none of us will be completely free of it.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member