Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BM had planned to 'get rid of SM' for some time.
His alibi was to be at the Bloomfield job.
Perhaps, BM changed his mind when SM should be missing, therefore rescheduling Bloomfield, a couple of times.

OR/ALSO, having on record, this job was to occur, would indicate, it was preplanned, AND nothing to do with SM being missing: as BM would state.
MOO.
Didn't MG say the job was originally scheduled for April? I wonder if that corresponded with the girls spring break, and/or a trip that may have been cancelled due to COVID.
MOO

On a side note, I’m watching Dancing with the Stars. One of the “stars” is Carole Baskin, whose husband is a cold case and has never been found. She had him declared dead. Big cats and missing spouses. Let’s hope this case is solved.

Yes. Most I worked around would reference - motor, pump, leaks, track, bucket issues.
Not mechanical thing.

Maybe he didn’t change a part or work on it. Maybe he had no legitimate explanation for why he was running the bobcat late at night and really blew the explanation when LE questioned him about it. He’s not exactly a wordsmith, and he could have just offered some lame excuse like it wasn’t running right so he changed the oil. And he forgot when he did it.

I think that as a man who works with heavy equipment would not normally use the words he used in describing "doing a mechanical thing" with the Bobcat. He would just go on and say what he actually did unless it would sound suspicious. It was like he was purposefully not saying what it was that he actually did with the Bobcat. JMO

Totally agree. When my husband does something with his crane, lol i hear every detail of what he does even thought I may have no idea what he's talking about. He would NEVER say that he just did a mechanical thingy to it. Just not in his vocabulary.

And one would think especially is you were talking to law enforcement, you would want them to know every detail of what you did so that would know exactly what you were doing. And you could actually back up what you were doing during that specific time frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he didn’t change a part or work on it. Maybe he had no legitimate explanation for why he was running the bobcat late at night and really blew the explanation when LE questioned him about it. He’s not exactly a wordsmith, and he could have just offered some lame excuse like it wasn’t running right so he changed the oil. And he forgot when he did it.

This reminds me of his “too soon” comment way back at the beginning. IMO, he’s struggling so much to come up with a believable story that he blows it every time he says anything.

Didn't MG say the job was originally scheduled for April? I wonder if that corresponded with the girls spring break, and/or a trip that may have been cancelled due to COVID.
MOO
Very good point.
Do you think it’s possible that BM had this particular “wall job” on the back burner for months waiting on just the right time for an alibi?

I have been pretty much thinking this was spontaneous on BM’s part, but now I’m not so sure. Maybe the other days didn’t align with his plans, but this particular weekend something happened, and the plan was set in motion?

This is the first case I have actually ever followed to this extent . I have a question for veteran sleuths. Have you ever seen a case before where a woman goes missing and the family doesn’t update the missing page, there is lack of national media coverage, and her immediate family members aren’t speaking out? I have my reasons for being interested in this particular case. But I just would like to know if this is normal or if I’m
Just insane thinking this is abnormal.
I think immediately of the Barbara Thomas case.

Followed FD. Didn't follow LS.
Still haven't found JFD and now SM is on the spectrum.
How is it these men are so adept at hiding the bodies?
Blows me away.
MOO.

I know, right? For me, it was the Barbara Thomas case which, if the husband did it, was probably the most perfect crime I've ever seen planned (and it was definitely planned if foul play was involved). LE gave up early due to no evidence and Barbara is still missing.

I'm so sorry that you went through this. Awful.

I am just one of millions - and the patterns are so similar. In my years of work at DV hotlines, DV seminars and training for peer counselors (etc), it was quite humbling to realize that we came from all walks of life, and we'd all ended up in DV situations despite being warned and counseled.

I still don't know exactly why we stayed together that long - it seemed he was always trying to be better and I kept thinking it was partly my fault - or that I was helping him "get better." It was humbling for me to finally admit I could do absolutely nothing to make him "better."

Indeed. BM's "getting the job site ready for his employees" STINKS!!! He didn't do anything to help prepare for a job, except bleach the tools he used for his nefarious and wicked deed.

However, BM did create a ludicrous alibi. The three employees dutifully waited around for bricks to arrive. That whole time BM knew that no bricks were coming.

MOO

Yeah, that wall job story.
He really was a few bricks shy of a load.

This is the first case I have actually ever followed to this extent . I have a question for veteran sleuths. Have you ever seen a case before where a woman goes missing and the family doesn’t update the missing page, there is lack of national media coverage, and her immediate family members aren’t speaking out? I have my reasons for being interested in this particular case. But I just would like to know if this is normal or if I’m
Just insane thinking this is abnormal.

Similar to the Crystal McDowell case. Texas mom went missing during Hurricane Harvey. Her uncle spoke out, but not much from the husband.

Guess who did it?

MOO

Possibly. There are plenty of reasons tho for a construction job to be delayed a month at that time of year. Unpredictable Spring weather, other subcontractors involved, government job, his company delaying it, product availability, etc. All of a sudden he's under the gun to complete the work as well.

Fair point but that conversation abruptly ending sent SM’s best friend ‘into panic mode.’ So whatever it was that caused her friend to panic seems extremely significant and seems to point pretty hard at something happening at 12:30pm.

Yes, the difference in these various scenarios is significant. The friend thought it highly suspicious, even panic-inducing. The friend knows Suzanne and was in the situation. We are not. I always go with what people closer to the case have to say.

Something caused the friend to pick up a bad vibe after Suzanne disappeared from the wedding chat. It was unusual.

Also, we know that BM showed up at home around the same time - thanks to MG's timeline.

Very good point.
Do you think it’s possible that BM had this particular “wall job” on the back burner for months waiting on just the right time for an alibi?

I have been pretty much thinking this was spontaneous on BM’s part, but now I’m not so sure. Maybe the other days didn’t align with his plans, but this particular weekend something happened, and the plan was set in motion?

I just don't think he is smart enough to cover his tracks well in that short amount of time without preparing. But I just looked a SHS’s calendar for last year and spring break was scheduled for the last full week in March. So I scratch that train of thought.

Edit-I have no clue if she went to that SHS.

Last edited:
I keep thinking of BM saying "I did a mechanical thing". My husband works with heavy machinery, big equipment a lot. He has repairs big or small, almost every month, and although he is not a "wordy" man, he goes into such detail about the mechanical details, I just zone out. I think most men LIKE to talk about the details of carburetors, batteries, plows, alternators, blades, etc etc almost as much as most women enjoy talking about the intricate details of emotions. Yes, there are exceptions in both categories; I am not trying to be sexist by saying this. But in my experience, I can hardly imagine the men I know saying "a mechanical thing", FWIW MOO

Very good point.

I'm thinking it was a more spontaneous and spur of the moment alibi, because what stands out for me is that he was working with his 'main' worker MG on both Friday night and Saturday morning and didn't mention a word to her about the wall job. Then suddenly Saturday afternoon he races off into town to line up JP and then he waits until Sunday morning to call MG and request her to get the crew up to Broomfield that night. It all seems very unplanned to me.

I think it was on the last thread that we touched on the Anne Marie Fahey case. She was slender but quite tall (I want to say 5’10”) and her body fit into a large cooler after her legs were reportedly broken. (I hate typing that). There didn’t seem to be any indication of dismemberment.

At the Fahey murder trial, one of the jurors climbed into the cooler to demonstrate. That’s when they realized she would have fit, albeit with broken bones.

BM has plenty of equipment that can crush large boulders into tiny pebbles. There is no doubt he could have reduced poor Suzanne to fit into a cooler or a similar “coffin”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419