Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and scientists are suggesting that high-risk adults would benefit from getting a booster MMR vaccine. I am going to ask my doctor about this at my upcoming appointment.
MMR Vaccine Could Protect Against the Worst Symptoms of COVID-19

Excerpt (BBM):
The researchers propose a clinical trial to test whether the MMR vaccine can protect against COVID-19, but in the meantime, they suggest that all adults, especially health care workers and individuals in nursing homes get the MMR vaccine. “If adults got the MMR as a child they likely still have some level of antibodies against measles, mumps, and rubella, but probably not the myeloid-derived suppressor cells,” said Dr. Fidel. “While the MDSCs are long-lived, they are not life-long cells. So, a booster MMR would enhance the antibodies to measles, mumps, and rubella and reinitiate the MDSCs. We would hope that the MDSCs induced by the MMR would have a fairly good life-span to get through the critical time of the pandemic.”
Where I live older people have not had the MMR vaccine. Almost all of us had the actual diseases as children.

Virus Death Toll Linked to Maine Wedding Grows to 7
More at link
Maine authorities have identified overlaps between the wedding reception and outbreaks elsewhere in the state. An employee of the York County Jail attended the wedding, Maine CDC officials have said. Maine health officials have also said a staff member from a Madison rehabilitation center, which is the site of six of the seven deaths, attended the event.

Millinocket-area wedding connected to outbreaks at Madison nursing home, York County Jail

"The staff member who attended the Aug. 7 wedding was among the first people to test positive at the jail, but Maine CDC investigators have not determined whether that person introduced the virus to the facility. "

These items always give me pause, as the "story" often becomes more important than reality. Six of the seven deaths were in one care facility, which isn't as dramatic as deaths spread across a range of States. Have they done genetic testing to confirm that a person at the wedding gave it to a guest, who gave it to a parent, who gave it to a child, who brought it into a care facility, where it was allowed to spread to patients and other staff?

Maybe it's all legit, but I have to wonder when the jail is in the path of destruction, even though it hasn't been determined if that's where it came from.

I agree with that: too much uncertainty

Yes, the thing with polls is that they are not meant to be the gold standard in information. They are designed to provide a good indication of what a cross section of the population's experience/opinion is.

For that reason, they serve their purpose. And people use them for all kinds of indications from laundry detergent to brands of cars to political candidates to covid experiences.

The British Government has been forced to defend itself over coronavirus testing shortages that have seen doctors and nurses unable to get tested as COVID-19 cases in the UK rise and the demand for tests surged.

Chris Hopson, chief executive of NHS Providers ...... said hospital bosses were "working in the dark" as they did not know why there were shortages, how long they were likely to last, how geographically widespread they are nor what priority would be given to healthcare workers.

"It's not just access for tests for staff members themselves, it's also access for their family members as NHS workers have to self-isolate if their family members are unable to confirm if they have COVID-19 or not," Mr Hopson said.

.... reports of people in England's 10 worst-hit COVID-19 hotspots unable to get any tests at all.

... the R number (reproduction number) sits between 1 and 1.2

UK Government labelled 'incompetent' as testing shortage hits health professionals

Rome's Fiumicino Airport has been listed as the first airport in the world to earn the rating from Skytrax, an international airport industry ratings body.

The organisation (Skytrax) said in a statement it based its rating on "a combination of procedural efficiency checks, visual observation analysis and ATP sampling tests".

The airport scored points for having easy-to-read signage in multiple languages, strict enforcement of mask wearing, visibly present cleaning staff and efficiency thanks to the consolidation of all incoming and outgoing flights to a single terminal for easier tracking.

Only European airports have been rated so far.

World's first 'five-star COVID airport' named in former disaster zone

Millinocket-area wedding connected to outbreaks at Madison nursing home, York County Jail

"The staff member who attended the Aug. 7 wedding was among the first people to test positive at the jail, but Maine CDC investigators have not determined whether that person introduced the virus to the facility. "

These items always give me pause, as the "story" often becomes more important than reality. Six of the seven deaths were in one care facility, which isn't as dramatic as deaths spread across a range of States. Have they done genetic testing to confirm that a person at the wedding gave it to a guest, who gave it to a parent, who gave it to a child, who brought it into a care facility, where it was allowed to spread to patients and other staff?

Maybe it's all legit, but I have to wonder when the jail is in the path of destruction, even though it hasn't been determined if that's where it came from.
The jail outbreak should be easy to track down. It is either staff or visitors. If visitors have no contact, e.g. use phones with perspex partitions, it pretty much has to be a staff member. If that staff member was at the wedding, it would be quite clear IMO. They could possibly tell by other local infections too.

Well what about the original SARS or MERS vaccine plus the regular flu vaccine. Hasn't similar also been suggested for the flu vax too?

No doubt someone has already replied. I'm behind on my reading.

I don't believe that there is a SARS or MERS vaccine.

Vaccines for SARS-CoV-2: Lessons from Other Coronavirus Strains

The emergence of the strain of coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2) and its impact on global health have made imperative the development of effective and safe vaccines for this lethal strain. SARS-CoV-2 now adds to the list of coronavirus diseases that have threatened global health, along with the SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome) coronaviruses that emerged in 2002/2003 and 2012, respectively. As of April 2020, no vaccine is commercially available for these coronavirus strains. Nevertheless, the knowledge obtained from the vaccine development efforts for MERS and SARS can be of high value for COVID-19 (coronavirus disease 2019). Here, we review the past and ongoing vaccine development efforts for clinically relevant coronavirus strains with the intention that this information helps in the development of effective and safe vaccines for COVID-19. In addition, information from naturally exposed individuals and animal models to coronavirus strains is described for the same purpose of helping into the development of effective vaccines against COVID-19.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

York county has only had 15 deaths altogether with just 4 since late August. I don't think it would be difficult to trace. If one staff member only had it, again it would not be difficult to trace that person back to the wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
The article said it was "one of the first" cases at the jail. That makes me wonder what the current situation is at the jail.

Right - and since six out of seven deaths were at the same rehab facility, I think the actual "news story," here, is how they let that happen at this point in time, with all we know.

No, not ecactly. I believe the reason for giving a small amount of live vaccine of MMR is that it boosts the immune response so that there is a more general benefit that might aid in the antibody fight against CoVid.

I wonder what the risks would be if one was pregnant and given the live vaccine. Perhaps pregnant women were excluded. I haven't read the actual study yet, but will hunt it up.

From the link about the MMR study: "Health-care workers in the trial will be divided randomly into two groups. One will receive the MMR vaccine, while the other group will receive an inactive placebo. Each participant will be followed for five months, and the entire trial is expected to last about a year. Those previously sick with COVID-19, those who are pregnant and those who have very weakened immune systems or are taking drugs that suppress their immune systems will not be eligible to participate.

Data from the trial sites will be compiled at University College London. Laurence Lovat, MD, PhD, a professor of gastroenterology and biophotonics, is the study leader in the United Kingdom.

“If we discover that the MMR vaccine can help train the body’s immune response to SARS-CoV-2 infection, then we will have something to administer very quickly, while waiting for more specific vaccines and preventive therapies to be developed,” Lovat said. “If the trial shows that the MMR vaccine can boost the body’s general immune response, we believe it may enhance the effectiveness of vaccines currently in development to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infection.”"

Lawsuit challenges mandatory masks for school children
Parents claim violation of rights

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - More than two dozen families are filing a lawsuit against the state of Ohio’s mandatory mask mandate for school children. The lawsuit is filed in Putnam County and Plaintiffs say they are hoping to get a temporary injunction at least until the case can be heard in court.

There are two main arguments in the suit. The first argument is that the director exceeded his legal authority in issuing the mask order. And the second is that the order violates a number of constitutional rights including the right to religious liberty

Video: One family involved in the lawsuit

The Pagel's have six kids. They don't believe any of their kids should be forced to wear a face mask. They feel the mask could be a health risk to their kids.

Lawsuit challenges mandatory masks for school children

"Some parents are suing over their children being forced to wear masks inside school buildings."

Maine CDC outbreaks update: 7 deaths linked to Millinocket wedding, including 6 at Maplecrest

York County Jail

York County on Thursday announced a comprehensive inquiry into the COVID-19 outbreak at the York County Jail, where there are 82 total cases as of Friday.

Of the 82 cases, 48 are among inmates, 18 are among staff, seven cases are family members of jail staff with confirmed infections, and nine cases are family members of jail staff with probable infections.

Dr. Shah said a staff member of the York County Jail attended the wedding and reception in Millinocket. According to Dr. Shah, that staff member was one of first confirmed cases at the jail.

The article said it was "one of the first" cases at the jail. That makes me wonder what the current situation is at the jail.

COVID-19 spread through York County Jail where staff weren’t screened for symptoms, didn’t wear masks
More at link

Before COVID-19 swept through the York County Jail in what has now become the largest outbreak of the disease in a Maine correctional facility, its management didn’t require inmates or staff to wear protective face coverings.

Staff also weren’t regularly required to have their temperatures taken when they entered the jail, and now that the disease has run rampant, it’s not clear that the Alfred facility has anywhere else to send newly arrested inmates.

When do you anticipate us getting back to how we were before Covid-19?

We're a diverse group here, hearing from, and under the rules of our individual leaders.
You've studied and researched much more then most.

For me, personally, in So. California, I'm thinking we will not be back to "normal" until next May, 2021.
What do you think? Please mention where you live.

Chatty tonight. Over here in So. California, at least in my neighborhood, people are really wound up.
Mindful, we have been under a horrific layer of smoke like I've never seen in my life here.
It's scary, choking, disgusting and demoralizing.
Add Covid-19 and rioters.
Short story of today.
I didn't wake up until an hour late this am. Had a hard time sleeping with the smoke and heat.
First thought was to let my dog out to go pee.
He ran to the hedge between my (crazy hoarder neighbor) and our house and left pee between her house and ours.
She went ballistic, calling me and my dog every name in the book.
A few minutes later, she came back out calling me a loser and a b.
I never said a word. Not one.
Not a great way to start my day.
I gave thought to this for about an hour. She's always been the nutty neighbor on our street, but she really lost it this morning.
I have to wonder, how many people are about to "lose it" elsewhere?
Edited to add. We have been in lockdown since March.
Semi opened once, placed on lockdown again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtandSims4