NY NY - Eileen Neuberger, 40, Manhattan, Nov 9, 1986

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Thumbnail

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Eileen Neuberger went missing from Manhattan, New York on November 9, 1986.

Demographics
Missing Age: 40 Years
Current Age: 73 Years
First Name: Eileen
Last Name: Neuberger
Nickname/Alias: Mary O'Connor
Sex: Female
Height: 5' 4" - 5' 4" (64 - 64 Inches)
Weight: 119 - 119 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: November 9, 1986
NamUs Case Created: June 16, 2020
Last Known Location Map
County: New York County
Missing From Tribal Land: Unknown
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Disappearance: Missing

Physical Description
Hair Color: Black
Left Eye Color: Black
Right Eye Color: Black

Distinctive Physical Features
Scar/mark: Scar-Abdomen

Clothing and Accessories
Clothing: LSW BLACK BLOUSE BLACK PANTS,BLACK SHOES
Jewelry: GOLD LEAF EARRINGS

Investigating Agencies
New York City Police Department - Missing Persons Squad
(212) 694-7781
Agency Case Number: KNMP11172

New York Times article on Eileen's disappearance.

METRO DATELINES; Executive's Wife Reported Missing

The wife of the chairman of the board of the Wedtech Corporation, a troubled South Bronx military contractor, disappeared six weeks ago from the couple's apartment on the East Side of Manhattan, and has been the subject of wide search by the police and private detectives, officials said yesterday.

The Wedtech chairman, Fred Neuberger, reported his wife, Eileen, missing Nov. 10 and said that she was last seen at the couple's town house on 33 East 85th Street the night before, according to the missing person's report.

At the time Mr. Neuberger, 58 years old, and his wife, who is 40, were in the midst of negotiating a separation agreement, according his lawyer, Raoul Lionel Felder. Mr. Neuberger told the police that his wife had deep psychological problems and had tried to kill herself three times, Mr. Fedler said.

Mr. Neuberger was a founder of Wedtech, which is under investigation for possible political corruption in connection with the award of Government contracts. The company has suspended operations and is seeking to reorganize under the protection of Federal bankruptcy court.

Daily News
31 Dec 1986, Wed • Page 6
1st wife a '74 suicide

The Manhattan district police in investigating the of a top official of the defense contractor now corruption probe. Investigators have resurrected files from a 12-year-old suicide case involving the first wife of Wedtech board chairman Fred Neuberger. . Helen Neuberger, 35, fatally shot herself in the chest in a 1974 incident on Long Island. The files are under review as part of the probe into possible foul play in the dis-appareance of Eileen Neuberger, 40, who was reported missing by her husband seven weeks ago. Neuberger's attorney said he saw no connection between the disappearance and the 1974 suicide of Neuberger's first wife. After a lengthy investigation, police in Long Beach, L.I., determined that Helen Neuberger had died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds at the couple's home while her husband and a family friend were in the house, authorities said yesterday. "This man has had many tragedies in his life," said Neuberger's attorney, Lionel Raoul Felder. Felder said Eileen Neuberger was suicidal and a woman of "fragile emotional stability" who missed a Nov. 9 psychiatrist's appointment and never returned to their Sutton Place home. Neuberger reported her missing Nov. 12. At the time of her disappearance Mrs. Neuberger, a teacher and mother of two children aged 1 and 2, was negotiating a divorce settlement from her husband. Neuberger also.was under scrutiny by state and federal investigators in connection with his work for Wedtech, a politically connected firm that he helped set up in 1974.

Daily News
New York, New York

01 Jan 1987, Thu • Page 7

Cops mulling a wild card

Police investigating the disappearance of the wife of a top Wedtech Corp. official have found evidence that she used a credit card one day after she was last seen at the couple's Sutton Place townhouse. Investigators say the Nov. 10 credit-card charge by Eileen Neuberger, 40, the wife of Wedtech Board Chairman Fred Neuberger, 58, disputes a theory that she committed suicide in a fit of despondency over her marital problems. Police said Mrs. Neuberger, a schoolteacher and mother of two adopted children aged 1 and 2, called them twice on Oct 1? and 22 to report violent domestic disputes and physical assaults. In the Oct 22 incident, officers responded to an 11:15 p.m. call, and she filed charges against her husband for harassment She told authorities she was afraid of her husband and consulted a doctor about back problems that she believed resulted from the incidents, according to Steven Tulin, her divorce lawyer. Neuberger contended that his wife suffered injuries in a drunken fall down a flight of stairs. The Neubergers were negotiating a divorce settlement but living together in the four-story townhouse at the time of her disappearance. Neuberger, who had hired a private detective to trail his wife, reported her missing three days after she was last seen by a housekeeper. Raoul Lionel Felder, -Neubergers divorce lawyer, has described Eileen Neuberger as a woman of "fragile emotional stability" with drinking and drug problems and a history of suicide attempts, including a plunge earlier this year Into the East River. The lawyer said she was . unable to handle negative publicity about her husband and Wedtech, a South Bronx defense contractor that had come under the scrutiny of state and federal investigators on various corruption charges. Reviewing: files Police and investigators from the Manhattan district attorney's office now are reviewing files from a probe of a 12-year-old suicide case involving Neuberger's previous wife, Helen, 35. After a lengthy Investigation, police found that she died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Last edited:
Well, I always say nothing could surprise me. Finding out 33 years from when she disappeared Eileen Neuberger was finally given the respect of being reported as an actual missing person and added to NAMUS surprised me. Yes, I knew Eileen. Met her that faithful day right after the birth of my son at Mt. Sinai hospital. She whooshed into the main waiting area, nannie in tow, of the hospital just moments after my mother took a picture of my son and me. They approached me and said ' give me my baby" taking him from my arms. An adoption arraigned by my mother and her business partner who was acquaintances of Fred and Eileen Neuberger. I was convinced by my mother at 18 that my son would be president one day because they were powerful people. I was promised by their lawyer that they would contact me when he was 16 to get to know me. I cried for days and spent many years. 16th birthday came and I was not contacted. I learned the truth on 9-11-01 when the planes hit the twin towers and I was over come in fear of what happened to my son by searching the internet and finding the truth about wedtech Eileen missing and everything. He was not there when the planes hit he told me later. Yes, Sleuthster has a lot of secrets. I figured it was time to tell the story when I saw this thread. My son and I reunited when he was 18 and we found each other. He was not near the twin towers that day. He was living with us and then his half sister for a while but goes through periods of not talking to us. He was adopted again by Eileens sister, a nun, when Fred went to prison for the wedtech scandal. Could not make this up if I tried. I've had an extraordinary life like I told the film crew when I was being filmed for Web of Death. An extraordinary sad life of trauma. I'd love to know what happened to Eileen. I dont believe that stories that she was crazy and going to kill the children the day she disappeared. I do believe she was only interested in having money and married Fred for this. BTW, Fred had a wife before her that was found dead in a bathtub with no water. I will try to find the articles later. For now I'll leave you with this, 10 years before she was entered in NAMUS I started this thread https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/eileen-neuberger-vanora-missing-11-10-86-from-nyc.96638/

Last edited:
During the Wedtech scandal Neuberger was accused of meeting with Teamster officials (ie the mob) and discussing hiring a hit man to kill Mariotta, the founder of Webtech (see https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...cutives/a3c0f1dd-5737-473a-9b4c-3af82cffa0b2/). It hardly stretches the imagination that someone prepared to do this would also be prepared to have his wife killed. Wedtechs (and Nueberger's by position) ties to the mob were extensive and obvious. Even without the scandal directly bringing down mob bosses it closely involved their associates. Renowned mob lawyer James LaRossa was the lead defence lawyer of Biaggi, the Congressman convicted for his involvement. Major General Vito Castellano, another of the defendants who ran the NY National Guard and fixed contracts was the cousin of the Gambino family head - Big Paul Castellano. It is almost impossible to find a participant who was not either related to mafia leaders or involved in other scandals with them or subsequently exposed as working with them. The question is how tight was Neuberger and what it may or may not imply regarding his wives.

Some more info about Wedtech from the media. Marriotti and Neuberger were not the only players. There were high profile politicians. Guiliani withheld evidence and Edwin Meese, Lyn Nofzinger, Representative Mario Biaggi, and many others were involved.
During the Reagan era the President started a program for minorities to start businesses which hired other minorities. It was a great idea. Wedtech was started by Marriotti, of hispanic roots, and Neuberger (Fred) who was jewish and had allegedly survived a concentration camp during WWll. They manufactured some simple part, like a bolt or something, for weapons as a defense contractor company. By accident supposedly they billed the wrong amount per unit like it was supposed to be $20 and they invoiced 100x more and they were paid. By the time they were caught they had made tens of millions and had bribed many officials for protection. Fred Neuberger bought 2 townhomes on Sutton Place in Manhattan and tore down the wall between the 2 to make one huge unit. Fred was also invited to Reagans 2nd inaugural party when he was reelected because he'd been so successful. I agree the mob was probably involved too. I had no idea of any of this. My mother, the only contact I had for info died of cancer in 1988 and the last I had heard was her and her partner discussing that Fred and Eileen where having issues with their marriage in late 1986 and then it went hush till I searched and found out in 20001.
Giuliani Withheld Wedtech Evidence (Published 1988)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back